How to Deflect Flaming/Trolling in Three Simple Steps!

Alice Moonflowyr

I noticed that A LOT of new members blow up whenever someone trolls or flames on their topics. So I put this together, and hopefully they will read it.

[b]Step 1[/b]
Determine if the person is ACTUALLY flaming/trolling or not. If it is a downright insult such as: "You suck and you need to get off this site" Is flaming. You will usually run into this in the TCG section, Your Deck section, and Realistic Cards section. However, in the TCG/Your Deck section, there is a finer line between flaming/trolling and arguing. Someone saying that how your doing something is wrong is usually fine, as long as they provide an explanation why.

[b]Step 2[/b]
Once you have determined if the person is flaming/trolling or not, you now need to decide how to handle it. What most people do is flip out. Since this is a tutorial on how to DEFLECT flaming/trolling, lets skip that one. Another popular one is to Counter-argue. You need to know EVERYTHING about what your doing in order for this to work. So dont do it. My personal favorite is to either shrug it off(which most people seem incapable of doing) or make it funny.

[b]Step 3[/b]
This step teaches you how to enact the things above.
[spoiler=Flip Out]Unless you are a cannibal troll, skip this. In order to flip out, all you must do is activate your caps lock, and go batsh*t crazy on the other guy. [/spoiler]
[spoiler=Counter-Argue]Yeah. I can't help you here.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Shrug it off.] The best way to do this is like this. In your post state, in this order, 1. Your opinion (do it CALMLY). 2. Why you think that (again CALMLY) 3. Say something like "meh" or "whatev" or "You do it your way, I'll do it mine". 4. Post it, and leave the topic.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Make it funny] This one, being my favorite, is relatively easy to pull off in a certain situation. Usually when someone insults YOU directly. Here is an example.
User 1: You're such a d*ckhead
User 2: Not me. Little me is though.
See? User 1 here is being a moron, and has decided to break the rules and insult User 2 directly. Instead of going nuts, User 2 has turned the insult into a joke. Not only does doing this increase your popularity, it makes you a less likely troll/flame target. Seeing as now they will be more interested in hearing your jokes.[/spoiler]

And there you go. Three steps on how to deflect flaming.

Want to add something? Am I missing something? Feel free to PM me, or comment, or whatever.

[i]as long as they provide an explanation why[/i]

I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna bother spoon-feeding every new member with a whole paragraph of explanation. If they are above the age of 10, pretty sure they can figure stuff out for themselves. Research. Anyway, people do. It's just don't expect [b]long[/b] explanations.

[i]Make it funny[/i]

enjoy the warn, darling.

[i]Shrug it off[/i]

I'm sorry, but was this supposed to tell us something. Not to be blunt or anything, but that's just pure common sense. That's like teaching someone how to be happy.

[i]"You suck and you need to get off this site" Is flaming. You will usually run into this in the TCG section, Your Deck section, and Realistic Cards section.[/i]

Hmm, at least try to research these things first.

TCG: You will never see flaming. You might see trolling, but it's usually intelligent trolling. So no harm done. Usually, it's just friendly off-topic spam. Which is completely irrelevant to this topic. So TCG is fine. If you genuinely looking for help for TCG stuff, there are plenty of helpful members :S

Your Deck: Trolling happens. This is the internet, it's inevitable. But, no flaming or spamming usually happens in Your Deck. It only happens when the topic creator is too stubborn to accept help. That's it.

Realistic Cards: Are you sure we're in the same section? Spam, yes. Flaming? Trolling? nooo.

So, to summarise:

1. All those sections are actually just spamfests. Which have nothing to do with new members, so they can ignore that.
2. Be intelligent enough to research things before asking 300 easily-answered questions.

I can't help but think this tutorial is *too* blunt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived