Yu-Gi-Oh! 24 - Finished

Replies. Replies.

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1353112282' post='6071438']
Ok, well the first thing is, I'm assuming that there are going to be extra chapters. Becuase you said. Time is [b]almost [/b]up. At least, I hope there are :D

[spoiler='JI ENDO']
Sooo. Lets run through my thoughts.

For starters, it didn't suck. So HOORAH. The duel flowed well, kinda reminded of Z-ONE, but at least you killed the Time Lords. You out did Yusei.
Jin's death was so very touching, and unexpected. I mean... I really didn't expect it, and it set up a lovely 'I'm a demigod so feth you' moment for Kaneko.
Super Junior Confrontation has to be my favourite card used in the entire fic. For some reason it just made me laugh. I just get flashbacks to the Kuriboh off in GX.
Shark Drake Vice was very nicely handled, and I didn't expect that to be the finisher, though ZW appearing was kinda to be expected. At least it was kept to a minimum in the fic, and not Lets make something broken for the sake of it.
The twist where the Numbers were destroying the world was actually brilliant, becuase it just made Death seem much more badass. I mean the fact he managed to bait them into destroying the world was amazing. And yes, Death has stopped being generic for me now, and its a very, very good thing.
My one issue was... its kinda not wrapped stuff up? I mean, even though I hope there's the extra chapters going, you have left it on a massive cliffhanger, and not given us anything about any of the others... I wanna know dude :D

And if you asked me to compare it to Armageddon, I have to say, Armageddon was better personally, becuase it had Erin's sacrifice, which was just plain amazing. Don't get me wrong, this was amazing as well, but... Neh I have my gripes.
[/spoiler]

But I do have to say dude, well done. I mean, you've completed 2 frankly insanely good fics and put a lot of effort into them. And I know everyone who helped at any point is happy they did given how great you've made it. I'll probably do a whole fic review fairly soon. I may even reread the whole thing.
[/quote]

Yes, it's the end, AND IT'S NOT OVER YET! There are clearly going to be extra chapters to resolve... stuff.

Was a bit worried about Kaneko cheating, sure the reaction will be mixed to that. SJC is kind of a crappy card and I had to edit Cards of Reversal, but Negate Attack would have just been flat for such a situation (never saw it used in GX).

Thanks, that would be nice. They'll be a questionnaire put together at some point too.

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1353112768' post='6071444']
[spoiler= The last of the spoilers! Well, maybe]
Amazing. First thing I have to say, that was awesome. Jin's death was more moving than Sakura's (poor Jin :(), and the endgame of Clarissa and Kaneko vs Death was epic. Shark Drake Vice as the final trump card was a surprise, but it was an awesome one (screw you, Yuma! Shark was better than you all along!) Technically, Unicorn Spear can only equip Hope Ray, but in the context of the fic it's completely fine the way you did it.

I do assume you're not quite done yet. Clarissa and Kaneko seem to be dead, but who knows? Dai's pursuit of Garvan was never finished, and there does need to be some general conclusion on things. I expect we'll be seeing an epilogue soon.

Anyway, like I said, awesome. And amazing. And some other positive descriptive words I can't be bothered to type.
[/spoiler]
[/quote]

Thanks once again for commenting Pac. Jin was actually one of the very few characters in this fic whose fate wasn't set in stone from the beginning, was undecided until the two months off, but glad he died in a nice way.

I know, and I hate that! I hate the constant Hope Hope Hope all the time and that it's the only good Number and it's the only one that can use Zexal Weapons. So yeah, that's why it got changed. There was no way Hope Ray was ever going to be the final card here because it's so overused in Zexal (plus it really wouldn't have helped much against Sephiron).

Yep, it's confirmed, I'm a jerk! :D As stated, there are one or two things left to resolve and will be dealt with in a few more chapters. Started writing one today, but only got a little way into it. Hopefully I'll finish writing it before I go back to work on Monday when my holiday ends.

Not writing it tonight though, because I'm knackered. Good night. Please leave lots of comments for me to come back to whether you're a regular or first timer commenting on things overall.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a regular to this so I'll comment, epic duel really, but I did kinda see Sephiron appearing. About time force focus and black corn made another appearance though they are good numbers, and for some reason I was expecting shock master rather than shark drake for that final xyz summon. Pretty good overall, and I'm now lookin forward to the extra chapters. And congrats at finishing another story on this site, especially since you're the only person I've seen manage it since I've been on the site. :)

[spoiler=AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'M 18 AND A HALF HOURS LATE]
Damn I wanted to be the first to comment, but stuff came up, and things had to be done, so yeah. Onto the review!

The duel was really really good. You managed to beat the Temporal Machine Gods in a new and unique way, and I am impressed that you managed to use Sephylon's anime effect without ****ing everything up. ZW was cool, and a nice way to end a fic involving Numbers. Sad that we're not gonna get any more good Number revelations. I wanted to see Starship Galaxy Tomahawk. That would have been awesome. I thought that more sacrifices than just Sakura were necessary, and you pulled that off spectacularly. T.T Why did both the kids have to die?

Only slight problems were why the hell Clarissa has SJC in her deck. That, in my opinion, is one step too far in the whole situational-cards-just-for-plot thing. Also, the fact that you set us up for Daiki's resolution, and then... nope. Nothing. I wanted to at least have some idea what happened, but it's as if he died offscreen and you didn't have the balls to tell us.

I promise you a full review of the entire fic after you've posted some extra chapters. Some time next week maybe. [/spoiler]

Well, um... this is quiet.

[quote name='Simdoggy' timestamp='1353116020' post='6071468']
I'm a regular to this so I'll comment, epic duel really, but I did kinda see Sephiron appearing. About time force focus and black corn made another appearance though they are good numbers, and for some reason I was expecting shock master rather than shark drake for that final xyz summon. Pretty good overall, and I'm now lookin forward to the extra chapters. And congrats at finishing another story on this site, especially since you're the only person I've seen manage it since I've been on the site. :)
[/quote]

Thanks dude.

Yeah, I know a lot of the timelords appeared in the same order and was worried about it being predictable. I didn't really intend to use Sephiron at first because I was thinking "how the hell do I get over 20,000 ATK?" But yeah, was a bit different to go the other way around it using Shark Drake like that (rather than just using it to reduce Sephiron to 0 ATK itself). And yes, Black Corn is awesome (Focus Force... not so much).

No problem, will hopefully have one up soonish.

[quote name='The Seal of Eon' timestamp='1353177389' post='6071918']
[spoiler=AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'M 18 AND A HALF HOURS LATE]
Damn I wanted to be the first to comment, but stuff came up, and things had to be done, so yeah. Onto the review!

The duel was really really good. You managed to beat the Temporal Machine Gods in a new and unique way, and I am impressed that you managed to use Sephylon's anime effect without ****ing everything up. ZW was cool, and a nice way to end a fic involving Numbers. Sad that we're not gonna get any more good Number revelations. I wanted to see Starship Galaxy Tomahawk. That would have been awesome. I thought that more sacrifices than just Sakura were necessary, and you pulled that off spectacularly. T.T Why did both the kids have to die?

Only slight problems were why the hell Clarissa has SJC in her deck. That, in my opinion, is one step too far in the whole situational-cards-just-for-plot thing. Also, the fact that you set us up for Daiki's resolution, and then... nope. Nothing. I wanted to at least have some idea what happened, but it's as if he died offscreen and you didn't have the balls to tell us.

I promise you a full review of the entire fic after you've posted some extra chapters. Some time next week maybe. [/spoiler]
[/quote]

Yeah, actually beat seven out of 11 using all five different methods. That is how you do that, Mister "I've only got 1 strategy" Fudo. Gutted I didn't get to use a new one in the duel is a small regret, but none of the three left were really viable unfortunately. As for SJC, yeah, was just struggling for a way to end the battle phase and block five attacks in a way that was still exciting.

Um... read my responses to the other comments... :rolleyes:

Cool, thank you. Thanks for all your comments through out and I look forward to an overall analysis.

So.... big finale to a story... 150 views so far... 4 comments....

It was good. You're definitely back in shape, providing more and more examples that you can be an excellent writer when you put some effort into it. Even if Zabarnacht is still a bit generic for a final villain, you managed to give him at least some character before you sent him off. Temporal Machine Gods stayed interesting throughout the duel, and kept the pace and the pressure up,

I'm gonna have to call you out just a little bit on the [b]DEUS EX MACHINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA [/b]that was Zexal Weapon, but it's forgiveable. What is not forgiveable, though, is all the story hooks you've left open. Most notably Daiki's story, the whole Garvan / Natsumi ordeal, as well as Kaneko possibly not getting out of there safely. For something that you've shouted all over the rooftops of YCM to be "the end", it doesn't... [i]end [/i]that much.

It's good as a chapter, but as an ending, I would've liked to see more.

On a side note, you might actually be the only writer on YCM that has finished two full stories.

I think that this point had to be the end of the conventional storyline as it would be the point where the whole chapter for every half hour breaks down somewhat. Yes I would have liked to see Daiki doing his thing and finally get their plot resolved, but chances are he wouldn't have got there in time. I don't know, did the story say that him getting there on time would be pushing it?

[quote name='Umbra' timestamp='1353194920' post='6072154']
It was good. You're definitely back in shape, providing more and more examples that you can be an excellent writer when you put some effort into it. Even if Zabarnacht is still a bit generic for a final villain, you managed to give him at least some character before you sent him off. Temporal Machine Gods stayed interesting throughout the duel, and kept the pace and the pressure up,

I'm gonna have to call you out just a little bit on the [b]DEUS EX MACHINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA [/b]that was Zexal Weapon, but it's forgiveable. What is not forgiveable, though, is all the story hooks you've left open. Most notably Daiki's story, the whole Garvan / Natsumi ordeal, as well as Kaneko possibly not getting out of there safely. For something that you've shouted all over the rooftops of YCM to be "the end", it doesn't... [i]end [/i]that much.

It's good as a chapter, but as an ending, I would've liked to see more.

On a side note, you might actually be the only writer on YCM that has finished two full stories.
[/quote]

Thanks Umbra.

Sorry but there was no way I could get the Dai/Garvan/Natsumi bit resolved in this chapter as well. I wanted this chapter to be focused entirely on the duel, and I wanted it to be able to be read within... you know, a day. This was the end of the main 24 hour story; the remaining issues will be dealt with in an extra chapter (similar to Armageddon). So yeah, writing that now at a more leisurely pace (that's me saying it's not going that well so far <_<).

Glad this has recovered to end on a somewhat high note though.

[quote name='The Seal of Eon' timestamp='1353237529' post='6072426']
I think that this point had to be the end of the conventional storyline as it would be the point where the whole chapter for every half hour breaks down somewhat. Yes I would have liked to see Daiki doing his thing and finally get their plot resolved, but chances are he wouldn't have got there in time. I don't know, did the story say that him getting there on time would be pushing it?
[/quote]

Yes, when Dai got the bike he did think making the destination on time would be a push to achieve. It will happen eventually.

• 4 weeks later...

*delves down into page 2 of section to find this, brushing away a few cobwebs and shooing of the rats*

Well, this died slowly and quietly in the corner.

But that's kinda my fault huh?

Sorry its about three weeks late, but it's that time of year which is hectic and stressful on everyone. My December's are certainly are manic, and y'know, stuff. So been struggling to find the time and will to sort this out after saying there'd be another chapter to resolve some remaining bits. Literally just finished writing the last 2 pages or so an hour ago, so fingers crossed it does the job. Don't want this hanging over me for any longer.

So; as the swirl of the all consuming abyss of Death clears along with the apparent seperation of the real and virtual worlds, and order appears to be restored, there is explanations to be made, lives still in danger, and a score left to settle. Hope you enjoy.

[spoiler=Extra Chapter 7][b]...Meanwhile...[/b]

Sitting uncomfortably under the debris of a ruined storage unit and its contents which had provided a makeshift shelter, with parts of a broken cleaning unit sticking into her ribs, Natsumi blinked her vision clear and shivered. Unfortunately her situation was the same as it was before the whiteout. She was still hostage. She felt weak; she felt like she could fall unconscious again at any moment, but fright for the man sitting calmly beside her, trying to ignore the blood seeping from a cut in his leg, kept her awake. The wound wasn’t something he’d picked up from their battles, that one was self inflicted. He’d been mostly silent through the hour, not explaining why he’d cut into his own calf muscle with a pocket knife before her very eyes. He just looked in great pain and great worry, occasionally muttering something incoherent to himself. Being with him now, for the first time ever since she’d met him, made her feel terrified. This wasn’t the man she knew before she went on the run. She was frightened that if she fell asleep he’d be the last thing she’d see, before he did something else terrible. Garvan rubbed his eyes after the flash of light.

“What... what was that?”

“hmm mmhp... mmm grru mm....!!”

“What? Oh right.” The knot loosened, Natsumi spat out the ripped sleeve of shirt that he had gagged her with and took a few deep breaths for much needed air. Garvan just watched her do this with a curious expression. “Your outfit... it’s changed?”

Baffled, Natsumi looked at herself. Indeed her grey and crimson riding suit had disappeared, in favour of her regular clothing of ripped jeans, plain red shirt and trainers. Her D-Gazer was on to, and though she couldn’t see them she could feel she was also wearing her fingerless gloves and necklaces too; the same items she was wearing when she logged into the VDS as the Firefly and immersed herself into the virtual world yesterday morning. It seemed like an eternity ago now. Garvan hadn’t changed, given he used reflective persona mode in the VDS to appear as he did anyway right down to his D-Disk, but the change fascinated him. Pushing away the sheet metal door that hid the world outside, the light blinded them a second time as they readjusted to sunlight. She could see only a little of the outside; ruined skyscrapers for the most part, but the sky they pierced was clear and bright. The swirl of the abyss was gone. The dead star of Sin World was gone. The Demonic Roar Gods were gone. All that was out there was the sun.

“They... they did it” Natsumi croaked. The crisis had miraculously been stopped, by the most unlikely group of people. Clarissa, Sakura, Jin, Kaneko, Daiki, Murtagh. Well, not so much Murtagh, but the others... she gulped. There was no sign of anything. “I hope they’re all okay and are safe.”

“What do you know? They actually pulled it off and reversed it after all.” Garvan sounded a mixture of baffled and impressed as he looked out, ruffling his hair. She’d seen him do that before. He did it either when he felt awkward, or was stressed. She hoped for the first option, but as he flicked through his D-Gazer and grumbled, she felt less hopeful. “Come on, time’s gone. Where is he?”

“He’s not coming” she said shakily. Desperately she tried to cut her binds against something, anything, to try and free herself. No luck, they were too tight. Garvan shook his head.

“No, if I know Dai, he’s coming. He must be coming. For your sake he’d better be coming, and he’d better hurry up about it.” Hastily he checked his D-Gazer again. He was checking the time? “Come on, I can’t wait much longer.”

“Then just go” she pleaded desperately. “Please, you don’t have to do this. I know what happened to you, you know I do. I can back you up, but I can’t help you if you kill me. It’ll only be worse for you. You’re just making things worse for yourself.”

“No matter what I do my situation gets worse” Garvan snapped, in a slightly panicky tone. “You honestly think I’ve got a way out here? That they’ll listen to either of us, probably the two most wanted criminals in this country right now? No, this is the only option I’ve got left.” Ignoring her pleading, Garvan chanced a move outside. Everything seemed clear, the half of the roof that hadn’t been destroyed by that massive golden dragon that had been stomping around the place earlier was now clear. It wouldn’t be for much longer, he had to go, now. He checked the time again. Two minutes past the hour.

“I don’t believe this. He’s not coming.” Garvan resigned with a groan, and ducked back into the shelter. Natsumi kicked and struggled as he pulled her out. “Right, new plan, you’re coming with me...”

“No! Let me go!” Natsumi shouted and continued to fight. “Please, help!” Garvan had her by the ankles and was pulling her out, god only knew what he had in mind but she certainly wanted no part in it. She tried to grab hold of something, anything, but Garvan rolled her onto her front with her hands helplessly trapped behind her and kept pulling. Annoyed with her struggling, Garvan glanced up to check the coast was still clear... and ducked sharply as a steel pipe whooshed past, striking the side of the shelter with a resonating clang that rippled through the air his head had just vacated.

“Pieprzyc, sneaky bastard!” Garvan cursed as he rounded on the assailant. Daiki recovered, wielding this four foot pipe like a sword with a bloody cry and lunged for him again with another baseball swing.

The fight wasn’t stylish; it was dirty and crude. In blind rage Daiki missed wildly with the second swing, allowing Garvan to punch him right on the elbow, kicking away the dropped pipe. Roaring savagely Daiki instantly rounded back on him. Both men’s usual abilities were dulled by injury and fatigue, leaving them punching and grappling like drunks, but they still hit hard as they fought, hard enough to kill each other. Garvan still had the slight edge on height and reach though. He got Daiki in a side headlock; Dai had to drive his elbow into his face a few times before he let go clutching a profusely bleeding nose that had been smashed with his D-Disk. Daiki jumped onto Garvan’s back with a similar move, trying to choke him out as he thrashed beneath him, only getting himself out with a gouge that left him blinded. Daiki recovered his sight just in time as his once partner lunged with his knife, grabbing him by the wrist as they fell to the ground. Garvan landed on top of his stomach, trying to force the blade down through his throat. Natsumi had managed to roll over and watched in terror as Dai had to somehow hold him off with desperate strength alone, both men having both hands on the blade and Garvan trying to push down with all his weight. She gasped as the blade plunged, but Dai had not run out of strength; he’d pulled it and Garvan down off target to the side, seizing his moment off balance to roll them over. He looked for the knife, but Garvan reacted too quickly with a scissor like sweep to stop him getting on top either, leaving them both scrambling to their feet. The knife had been dropped in the confusion, Garvan lunged for it but Daiki’s foot got there first, booting it off the edge of the drop in the roof and leaving them hand for hand again. They scrapped for a few more punches, each knocking the other staggering with each blow before locking up again, wrestling towards the edge. It was a long drop for the loser.

“You’re... going... over...” Daiki swore as he pushed his way into position with Garvan’s back foot inches from the edge of the roof. He was tiring, but so was Garvan; he was sweating and looking panicked as well as hate-filled as he was as he struggled to keep his ground. “You’re gonna... pay...”

Garvan’s knee swung and connected hard with his nether region, knocking all the fight out of him as he staggered backwards. Leaving Daiki reeling from the low blow, Garvan smoothed his hair out and wiped some of the sweat away as he went over and grabbed Natsumi, to regain his control once more.

“Enough! I didn’t call you here for a brawl, I called you here to help me, and you had better not do anything like that again, get it?”

“You dirty, underhanded... what the hell is wrong with you?!” Daiki spat as he recovered, too tired to make any attempt to control his temper. “I had to leave my friends and daughter up there to come here because of you. You do realise how much jeopardy you put everybody in making me do that?”

“It was your choice to do that, not mine” Garvan shrugged, holding Natsumi by the neck. “I knew you still cared about Nat too much to risk it, but you gave me a bloody fright running your time so tight. Besides, it all worked out. They managed to succeed, and now you’re here. What’s your problem?”

Daiki just stared at him incredulously. “You... you can’t be serious?” He was serious. “Oh alright, what do you want? Actually before that, how are you two still alive anyway? How did you end up here?”

“I came round to find you and those two horsemen gone, and Nat just lying there” Garvan replied simply. “I was alright, just about, but she was in a bad way, just like when we first discovered the place. I knew I had to get her out immediately. The wastelands illusion had gone in place of a dungeon like area, making it a bit easier to haul her dying carcass out and back through the first one of those rips I stumbled across. Thankfully we got back in one piece when we did; Nat wouldn’t have lasted up there without the protection of her Numbers for much longer. Once we returned to our world and back to a normal living environment she stopped fading and I was able to patch her up a bit.”

“Well lucky you” Daiki scowled. Garvan made a disdainful noise.

“Lucky? Yeah, I got the devil’s luck alright. We came out up here, back in the middle of Japan on top of this hotel, where above the ground was this great angry dragon and its mates ripping the place up as much as the swirl, and below me was that slime Murakami and all his mob. I believe you work for him now, might want to watch your back there for the inevitable stabbing. I couldn’t even warp off, as I’m sure you’ve discovered that part of Murtagh’s world failed in the destruction, and obviously I can’t go now. So I was stuck up here between a rock and a hard place, desperately in need of a way to escape.”

“So you decide that if you couldn’t get away, everyone else had to be extinguished to” Daiki replied sourly. “Or failing that just me and Natsumi. Real mature. Yeah I’m not Baron’s biggest fan, I don’t agree with how he operates, but at least he was trying to stop what was happening. Not like you, traitor.”

“You’re so pig-headed and bitter. I’m no traitor, I’m a hero” Garvan scowled. “But Baron? Baron’s more responsible for what happened than anyone. He could have prevented all of this, if he’d made the sting when I told him too and not dragged it out trying to net up all these imaginary associates of Murtagh he thought he’d get as well. I did everything he ordered to try and get Murtagh, having to keep my guard up so I didn’t get caught, and then he abandoned me as Murtagh went down his list of priorities to national security or some other political bull! While I was left out to dry! I couldn’t get out; I just had to do what I could in order to stay alive. Speaking of which, now I’ve been made to look like a traitor to this country I’ve tried to serve, I’ve got a fate worse than death if that corrupt swine catches me!”

Daiki shuddered. The price for treachery that endangered the nation was not something he wanted to think about. Not that he had much sympathy for Garvan to suffer it. After everything he’d done for Real Duel and Murtagh, then his latest selfish stunt, he found him being an agent for Baron involved in this trap and then being sold out hard to believe. Still, this was the story according to Natsumi, who’d got it directly from Baron’s own captain, Hunter. Still Garvan continued to rant. “I hated serving Murtagh, but I had to do it to survive. I’ve been acting for so long I’ve forgotten what it’s like to be free, caught in so many people’s snares and games. Then after everything I had to go through, Baron is going to spit in my face and frame me up to save his own skin. I’m not having it, and you’re going to help me. Here, catch.”

Daiki almost dropped the small electronic chip like device that Garvan threw to him. “What’s this?”

“Tracking device, what’s it look like?” Garvan snapped. “Kept a record of where I was and my status. Too bad by the time Baron actually went to use the bloody thing to catch Murtagh it was being scrambled by a device of his that I couldn’t get at to disable. Not that I care anymore. If Baron gets exposed for the negligent careless fraud he is then great, but I need to get out of here. His men have probably worked out the world is restored and are making their way up here now. But they won’t find me. They’ll be off on a wild goose chase following you. I’ll be off in the other direction. You bought me a ride right?”

“There’s a bike below” Daiki muttered. Garvan looked over the side to check, he could make his way down there fairly quickly down the remains of a fire escape, Daiki winced as he dangled Natsumi over the edge with him. “Alright, let her go already.”

“And if I did that, why would you do what you were told?” he replied. Daiki winced; he had feared that was coming. “Unfortunately for you, I also put a tracker on your D-Gazer. So you might want to get moving whilst I take Natsumi with me. Don’t worry; I’ll let her go once I get to safer ground and out of the city. I promise... on my honour.” Garvan smirked as he started to clamber over the edge onto the metal stairs. They creaked horribly under his weight. “Well, what are you waiting for? You’ve got a head start on Baron’s men while they try to dig themselves out from below. Make use of it and get going.”

Daiki didn’t move. He just stood there, shaking with anger as Garvan pulled Natsumi onto the stairs with him. He was exhausted, and physically broken. He was torn up inside, with all that had happened in the last twenty four hours. He hated that he had abandoned the others, despite their apparent success, and was unaware to their well-being. He screamed in frustration. And as he did, so blinded with rage, he didn’t notice the strange gold light that started to glow in his D-Disk shot until it shot forward and lanced into Garvan’s D-Disk; striking with a thud that stunned the Polish-born man, and left him speechless.

“A D-Anchor?” Garvan spluttered, looking at his illuminated disk. “What the... how the hell did you...?”

“I... don’t know” Dai replied in bemusement. He was stunned. The VDS world that had been had gone now, hadn’t it? This wasn’t possible? Staring numbly at his D-Disk, he noticed a soft light pulsing through it, one he was sure he had seen before. [i]“Kaneko? Is this your doing?”[/i] Swallowing, he reached into the D-Disk, and removed the glowing card. His eyes widened as it revealed its identity; the Number that was all that had protected him had returned to this world. [i]“Hope? This is... it’s just like yesterday morning when I duelled Garvan on our bikes? What does this mean? That you are okay and looking out for us? But... when the Numbers were first scattered into this world... it was because you’d jumped from...”[/i]

Daiki swallowed. Could this mean that things in the abyss had gone badly, that the Numbers had been scattered once again by their origins passing? Or had Hope returned to him somehow by her will? He had no idea. He didn’t know what to think. Was this good or bad? And what of the others; Sakura, Jin, and Clarissa? Where they all okay? As he stood there he slowly became aware that Garvan was pulling against the golden cord, with no success. Feeling him struggle, Daiki’s mind focused. He had to stop thinking about what if’s and things he couldn’t affect right now; he had to act on things he could influence. With a rush of adrenaline returning his strength, he put all his weight into a sharp yank, and pulled Garvan back onto the roof. Garvan swore as he fell into Natsumi, snatching at her, but Daiki pulled again and she herself seized the moment to squirm away from him, out of his reach. Garvan struggled to grab her, but got nowhere against Daiki’s dead weight.

“Damn it, you coward! You’re just going to stand over there and keep me here like Baron’s lapdog until he shows up and frames me up? After everything I’ve done for you and been with you for since we joined the police together? Okay so a lot of it I did on Real Duel’s orders, but was it really that bad what I did, keeping the truth from you? I was protecting you as well as myself!”

“No Garvan” Daiki replied calmly. He suddenly felt unnervingly calm. Like this was some sort of fate, one giant circle that was about to become full. One way or another. “I’m not just going to hold you here like this, because you’re right. We’ve been through a lot together over the years and today, and for every bad thing you’ve done you’ve done something good too. That’s why we’re going to settle things in the only way we know how...” Garvan blinked as Dai’s D-Disk shuffled. “If this D-Anchor is the same as the others, we know it can only be broken after a duel. So that’s what we’ll do. If fate favours you and you win, then it will because that is what should be. You get your freedom and I won’t chase you. If I win, then that is how fate has decided to judge you, and yours will be whatever fate awaits you here.”

“You... what?” Garvan started. He gave the cord another tug, failed to get anywhere, before standing up with several irritable curses. “Bah, you’re full of crap, you know that right?! But you’re right, if the only way I can break this silly thing is by beating you then that’s what I’ll do. But if you’re all so honourable, don’t you dare stall! Alright?”

Daiki agreed, as his opponents deck shuffled. He didn’t personally believe in fate, and neither did Garvan, but as they faced off for the final time, this felt something like it. A higher power than he would judge. He just needed to make one last effort to test him. The air around them shimmered with their D-Gazers connected ARV link, as they took their stances for the last time and drew their opening hands.

[i]‘ARV link established. Duel commencing’[/i]

“Duel!”

Both men took in their cards, and winced. Daiki was too fatigued to disguise the fact he’d drawn badly; with only one monster that was hardly powerful. Fortunately though, Garvan was in the same state, and had made exactly the same look to suggest he too had drawn not so well. Plus he had the disadvantage of time against him. He did at least get the fortune of the green light, hurriedly snatching for his sixth card and glancing nervously over Daiki’s shoulder, towards the remains of a stairwell from the hotel.

“Alright, I’ll go first. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gagaga_Magician"]Gagaga Magician[/url] The grey haired sorcerer wrapped in navy robes and heavy chains rose before him, as it had when they last duelled; reduced to merely a hologram of pixels and nothing more (Lv4, ATK 1500). “I also set a card and end my turn. Now make it snappy Dai.”

“You think I need encouragement? I’m coming at you with everything I got! Draw!” Thing was he hadn’t got a whole lot to come at him with, not until he saw he’d drawn a snarling beast of a monster; one whose appearance stunned him and made him glance at Natsumi. “This is... I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Flame_Tiger"]Flame Tiger[/url].”

Growling viciously and crackling with flames that danced from its fur, a fire spirit in the form of a sabre toothed tiger pounced onto the field, snapping and glaring at Garvan with burning white eyes (Lv4, ATK 1800). His monster was stronger; this was a chance to do some damage to Garvan. To inflict some hurt. Blinded by the mental image and fatigue, Daiki attacked recklessly. “Now Flame Tiger, sink your teeth into Gagaga Magician!” The beast roared and leapt forward towards the surprised partner.

“Trap card, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gagagashield"]Gagaga Shield[/url]” he countered. At the last second a shield appeared on the arm of Gagaga Magician, who braced behind it. “I can equip this card to a spellcaster type monster. Then up to twice per turn that monster cannot be destroyed; by battle or card effect!”

“Maybe not, but you’ll still take damage!” Daiki grumbled at this inconvenient development. Indeed the flaming beast collided with the shield at force, furiously trying to bite the spellcaster on the arm, but Gagaga defended well. Behind him, Garvan winced like he’d taken a severe blow to the stomach (LP 3700). The effect seemed exaggerated, but Daiki didn’t care. He wanted to see Garvan in pain. “I set my own card. Turn end.”

“Gar, you’ve really got it in for me huh?” Garvan muttered as he drew his next card. “Look, if it makes you feel any better I’m sorry you’re all upset about everything. But I’m not sorry about what I’ve done for Real Duel. Look at it from my point of view; you think you’re so honourable you’d have done things differently in my position? When one wrong move would get your head removed?”

Daiki grumbled again. “Maybe, but maybe I wouldn’t have allowed myself to get in such an unholy tangle and not asked for help from someone while I still could, rather than just be a good boy following his orders from Real Duel and taking the easy option for himself.” Garvan looked incredulous.

“Easy option? You ignorant little... whatever, it’s my turn now. First I activate the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gagagabolt"]Gagaga Bolt[/url], to destroy your set card.” A blast of magic lightning from the magician’s palm obliterated his face down [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Fiendish_Chain"]Demon Chain[/url]. “Next I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Peten_the_Dark_Clown"]Peten the Dark Clown[/url].”

A jester in baggy clothing and floppy hat appeared beside the defending magician, grinning maliciously (Lv3, ATK 500). Not quite as maliciously as Garvan was though, as he went for his D-Disk for a card. Something seemed wrong about this. “I activate the effect of Gagaga Magician, lowering its level to three. Then I overlay my two monsters. Xyz summon!”

At Garvan’s command a swirling vortex opened beneath the two monsters, and Daiki gasped in horror. The vortex was a swirling galaxy of gold, and the card in Garvan’s hand was glowing with a dark pulse. The two monsters spirits sunk into the stream of energy, and in their place rose a sapphire blue seal covered in horned spikes, hatching to give birth to the snarling, snakelike dragon from before (Rk3, ATK 2000). Natsumi was stunned as she curled up in fright. Garvan smirked as once more, the matching runes on its horn reflected on his arm. “Let’s see how you deal with this. [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_17%3A_Leviathan_Dragon"]Number 17: Leviath Dragon[/url]!”

“How?” Daiki started, staring at the impossible monster. “How come you’ve got a Number?”

“How the hell should I know?” Garvan shrugged, amused. “It’s the same as yesterday morning, although maybe us being connected by this anchor when you got your one back has something to do with it, letting me get one too. Or maybe your daughter is a bit more honourable than you. You have a go at me for taking the ‘easy option’, but then you pick a fight thinking you’d have an invincible Xyz monster over me. So who’s got the moral high ground here exactly?” Garvan smirked at Daiki’s reaction. “I activate the effect of Leviath Dragon. By detaching an overlay unit, it gains five hundred attack points.”

Leviath snapped at one of the comets circling it and screeched (ATK 2500). “Now because I detached Peten and it was sent to the cemetery, I can banish it to activate his effect, and summon the second one from my deck. However this Peten is going to be a bit more dangerous than the other, as I’m equipped it with the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/One-Shot_Wand"]One Shot Wand[/url] to give it an additional eight hundred attack points.” A second jester appeared, wand in hand (ATK 1300), besides the dragon that dwarfed it and Daiki’s now tame looking Flame Tiger for size. “Now Leviath, attack Flame Tiger! Vice Stream!”

The dragon craned back it’s long neck and fired a steaming breath of mist, the powerful stream obliterated Flame Tiger without so much as a whimper before it engulfed Daiki. To his shock his body burned from the attack, nothing like as powerful as the attacks of Asami or the horsemen, but enough to leave him shaking as the attack passed (LP 3300). [i]‘What the? The attacks are still more powerful than before? Is it because of the Numbers presence, or because I’m so frazzled from everything already?’[/i]

If Garvan was thinking the same thing, he didn’t waste time showing it. “Now Peten, attack directly!”

Peten swinging the wand like a scythe, Daiki was knocked backwards by the attack (LP 2000).

“After a monster equipped with One Shot Wand has attacked, I can activate its effect to send it to the cemetery, in place of drawing one card.” Garvan gave his new card a quick glance, before setting it. “With that I’ll end my turn. Come on Daiki, you talk big; I thought Baron would have gotten better at selecting his pawns by now. You make a very good tool for him, parading justice without question.”

Daiki grimaced, but ignored the jibe. “My, turn. I’m activating the effect of Flame Tiger. By not drawing a card during my draw phase, I can special summon its undying spirit from the dead once again.” The tiger reappeared in a blaze of flame. “Next I summon the level four [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Majestic_Mech_-_Senku"]Majestic Gear Flashing Sky[/url], and overlay my two monsters. Xyz summon!”

A slender android-like angel in white and blue armour appeared briefly (Lv4, ATK 1000) before plunging after the tiger spirit into a golden vortex. Once more a surge of energy ran through Daiki as the gold and white seal rose, unfurled its wings and revealed the swordsman [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_39%3A_Utopia"]Aspiring Emperor Hope[/url]. “Now Hope, attack Peten with Hope Sword Slash!”

Ignoring Garvan’s face down completely once again, the Number swooped and sliced the small jester in half with absolute ease. The force of the blast knocked Garvan off his feet, clutching at his stomach and grimacing (LP 1700). Seeing him there in pain, after all the lies and betrayal that had come out, it made Daiki feel something, something satisfying, despite himself. Another attack like that would finish it. “I set two cards face down. I’d have thought Murtagh and Shinawatra would have picked their pawns better.”

“Grr... you think Baron is some paragon of virtue. He’s no different to those guys, with the way he uses people for his petty schemes and will drop them at the first convenience.”

“You’re bitter. Despite his flaws, Baron has protected this country and its people. And ultimately, it’s thanks to him and his agents that me and Clarissa are still alive.” Garvan looked baffled by this. “You know when you left us and Wilhelm in the RDL Building before blowing it up? Baron’s agents got us out seconds before it came crashing down. I might not agree with everything he does, but he did save us in a manner of speaking, and let us in on his operations to fight and save Kaneko.”

Garvan looked at him in amazement, but that quickly turned to a savage grin. “Oh really? You think you owe Baron something after that? But you really haven’t thought it through that much have you?” It was Daiki’s turn to look baffled now as Garvan stood. “Guess I can’t blame you when things were so crazy. But tell me something. When the agent’s got you out, they took you to a fully operational base up in the hills didn’t they? With all their vehicles and agents running around and the works?”

Daiki gasped. Garvan had described the area Hunter and the others had taken them to in incredible accuracy. “How the hell did you know that?”

“Simple. Because that base was there for hours.” His smirk widened at Dai’s reaction. “You thought they just so happened to arrive just in time to save your necks? Sorry pal, but they were already there, sitting on their backsides, for most of Clarissa’s hostage situation in fact. They knew what was going on, but they let it continue for a while, since Clarissa wasn’t causing any actual fatalities, and she wasn’t the big prize. They were just waiting for Murtagh and his allies to show up before doing anything about it.”

Daiki’s stomach disappeared. Baron could have acted earlier, but didn’t? If that was true, then...

“All those people Dai” Garvan continued. “All those lives. All this destruction. All of it was preventable, on more than one occasion. Everything that has happened, the man with the most blood on his hands in all of this is your boss and ‘saviour’. If Baron hadn’t been so cocky, if he hadn’t underestimated Murtagh and tried to scoop up more than he could ever get, then he would have been captured and stopped, and the horsemen might never have got their platform. All of this would have been avoided. But will he be bought to account?” Garvan spat on the ground. “Not a chance. He’ll worm his way out and crawl out intact, like a cockroach, while we are hung out in death and dishonour on public display. But thanks to your little darling Kaneko, that’s not going to happen. I activate Leviath Dragon’s effect again, detaching its second overlay unit to reach maximum strength!”

Daiki just stood there in numb shock, Baron’s sharp, smug face obscured his vision for a second. A little way away Natsumi just sat with a stunned look on her face. That... that was appalling. He only recovered his senses as the dragon’s bloodthirsty roar washed over him, facing off against Hope (ATK 3000). [i]‘It’s alright. I’ve still got Hope protecting me. That gives me two turns to find a way to beat his dragon.’[/i]

However, Garvan must have known that. Judging from his confident expression, he seemed to have read his mind, and he was reaching to his set card. “I don’t think so. I activate my facedown, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Breakthrough_Skill"]Breakthrough Skill[/url]. I can use this to negate the effect of a monster on the field for the turn.” Daiki gulped as Hope’s golden aura suddenly faded. “Now Leviath, Vice Stream!”

A second, denser blast of mist breath washed over the pair. Hope was obliterated, and Daiki was left reeling and clutching at his already badly injured stomach, the lead having swung yet again (LP 1500). Across the field, Garvan gave the stairs another edgy glance. “Come on Daiki, hurry on and give up! You know this is over now you’ve lost Hope in both your leader and your Number.”

“You want me... to give up?” Daiki coughed in reply. “Ha, you don’t know me very well after all.”

“I know you better than you do” Garvan shrugged, drawing a reaction with the cheap dig. Daiki drew his next card. That was better.

“Summon, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Tasuke_Knight"]Tasuke Knight[/url]!” The crimson plated samurai landed with a crash before him (Lv4, ATK 1700). “Next I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Limit_Release"]Limit Rebirth[/url]. This special summons a monster from my cemetery that has less than a thousand attack points. Be reborn, Flashing Sky.” The metallic plated angel was resurrected, much to Garvan and Natsumi’s contempt.

“Huh, unless that last card in your hand is something special, I don’t see what good that does you. Kachi can’t help you, and I can’t see how you’re going to get Breaker from here.”

“Not Breaker, but I’ve still got a plan. I activate the magic card [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Slots"]Monster Slot[/url].” Garvan blinked as a monstrous bandit machine floated over Daiki. “By banishing Flame Tiger from the cemetery, I can target Flashing Sky, then draw one card. Then, if the card I draw is a level four monster, I can summon it.”

“Knowing your deck, that gives you about a one in five chance. Really think you can pull it off?”

“Well that’s why we have always connected during these duels” Daiki grimaced. “You are sure and steady in your plans, I am impulsive and in the moment. Now to see which of our styles is the best, and how it will affect our futures.” Snatching at his deck, Daiki took a breath... and released it with a grin.

“I summon the drawn monster, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Absolute_Crusader"]Real Crusader[/url]!” The grandly robed swordsman appeared with a swirl of his cape (Lv4, ATK 1800), joining the samurai and angel. “Now I’ll overlay my three level four monsters. Xyz summon!”

The three monsters disappeared, and from the swirl of red mist rose the silhouette of a warrior. The warrior stood upright from a crouch, his scarf billowing and sapphire armour rattling eerily with each movement as he drew twin samurai swords that swished through the air, in front of the white mask that one eye peered through, a crack across the other eye matching a bloody scar underneath. The stare unsettled Garvan as much as its appearance. “Appear honourable warrior and master of the arts, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/One-Eyed_Skill_Gainer"]One-Eyed Skill Gainer[/url]!” (Rk4, ATK 2500)

“Skill Gainer’s effect activates. Once while it’s on the field, by detaching an overlay unit, it can target another Xyz monster on the field and take its effect. So then I can activate its new effect it’s borrowed from that oversized snake and increase his attack by five hundred!” An aura shrouded the warrior as its strength grew (ATK 3000).

“Pointless” Garvan growled. “It’s no stronger than Leviath, and it can’t destroy a Number anyway.”

“Actually, it can, because Skill Gainer absorbed a little bit more than an effect from your dragon” Daiki replied confidently. “It also gained its name for its own, making it a Number. Then I activate my other trap card; [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Xyz_Soul"]Xyz Soul[/url]! By returning Hope to my extra deck, I can have Skill Gainer gain attack equal to its rank multiplied by two hundred. Now attack Skill Gainer, slay Leviath Dragon.”

The spectre of Hope appeared behind the samurai, passing on its strength (ATK 3800) before the masked one lunged, plunging its twin swords into the neck of the snapping dragon. Leviath writhed and thrashed, before finally collapsing upon Garvan, leaving him coughing and blinking out the amplified effects the electronic recoil were having on his weary mind (LP 900).

“What was that about not being able to defeat you?” Daiki retorted.

“You’re confident” Garvan snapped. “I’ve still got three cards in hand. You’ve got nothing. Once I defeat Skill Gainer, you’re finished.” Daiki winced; he had a point in that he was out of defence now other than the Skill Gainers new battle immunity. It all depended on how Garvan had played his strategy. Because he always had a strategy. He had sat on his resources for a reason, waiting for the right time. But he was still a card short, he could tell as he gave his escape route, then his deck, a nervous glance, and drew.

“Nice. I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Chow_Len_the_Prophet"]Predicting Monk Cho-Len[/url]!” The bald monk appeared, standing tall (Lv4, ATK 1800). Not in itself remotely threatening, until it was suddenly joined by a dark creature, slithering out from the monks shadow (Lv4, ATK 1100). “And when I normal summon a level four monster, I can special summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Kagetokage"]Shadow Lizard[/url] alongside it. So I’ll overlay these two monsters. I Xyz summon, my anti-hero of a lawless place; [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gagaga_Cowboy"]Gagaga Gunman[/url]!”

The creatures dissolved into a similar vortex, which gave way to one of Garvan’s regular trump cards. Daiki flinched at the click of a six shooter, being spun into place stylishly by a masked outlaw in tanned clothes, leather chaps and torn billowing cape. The outlaw’s badge resembled a familiar emblem as the Gagaga’s Xyz monster took aim (Rk4, ATK 1500). Garvan certainly looked more confident in his monster than Daiki did; it couldn’t hurt his ‘Number’ Skill Gainer. Then he’d already been wrong once.

“Now I’m activating another effect of the Breakthrough Skill card in my cemetery. During my turn only, I can banish this card from play entirely to activate the same effect, negating all of the effects of Skill Gainer until the end phase, including its new Numbers battle immunity.” Daiki gulped as the divine aura surrounding the beleaguered warrior faded, and with it the gunslinger lined up his shooters. “Now Gunman attacks and activates one of his effects. During the damage step of battle, he can raise his attack by one thousand, and drop the attack of his opponent by five hundred. Making this a dead heat!”

A hail of bullets rained on the samurai. Skill Gainer deflected some of them but not all, but with one last effort was able to throw a sword at the ill-defended cowboy. Both monsters simultaneously vanished in an explosion of pixels. A strategy that seemed to confuse Daiki, until Garvan swept a devastating spell onto his D-Disk, and with its reveal his full strategy swung into action. Daiki swallowed at the card’s image depicting the guardians of light and dark. “Now that my Xyz monster has been destroyed and I’m out of monsters, I can activate the instant magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Xyz_Double_Back"]Xyz Double Back[/url]! Not only does this special summon the destroyed Gunman, but I can also summon a monster with similar or less attack in Gagaga Magician, although both will be destroyed during the end phase!”

Natsumi gulped as twin holes to hell opened, and both Gagaga Gunman and Magician rose. Daiki didn’t have enough life points to survive one attack, let alone two (LP 1500). Garvan threw up a fist in victory, and prepared to bolt as soon as the D-Anchor snapped. “Now Gunman, attack!”

Another hailstorm of bullets shot towards Daiki. However he remained unmoved. “From my own cemetery, I activate the effect of Tasuke Knight! Once only when my hand is empty, I can special summon him from the cemetery, and immediately end the battle phase!” The crimson plated warrior rose and with a mighty handclap released a ripple of sound that scattered the bullets aiming towards him. Garvan twitched with annoyance.

“I forgot about him, but I was not completely unprepared for a lucky escape. I equip Gagaga Magician with [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Wonder_Wand"]Wonder Wand[/url], and then use its effect to send them both to the cemetery and draw two cards.”

Garvan edgily snatched the two additions and gave them a hard look. He had to win, and he had to win quickly. Baron and his agents were somewhere below; as soon as they realised they were up here they could storm the roof in seconds, and every defence Daiki threw up was another roadblock in way of his freedom from his clutches. These cards had to be perfect.

“I set one card and end my turn.” The image of a reverse card appeared as the Gunman, only given a half life by the effect of Xyz Double Back, disappeared once more. Daiki had nothing on the field, but Garvan only had one card and a handful of life points left. It was edgy for both of them, as Daiki went for his deck Garvan glanced over his shoulder again.

“Well Dai, this is it. I’m open. Think you can through with it?”

“Huh?” Daiki was puzzled by the remark; Garvan couldn’t possibly have conceded. He was just standing there looking nervous and agitated, probably expecting Baron and his men to burst out from the stairs behind him any second, with only the face down to protect him. He glanced at it anxiously. “What do you mean do I think I can go through with it?”

“Everything Real Duel put you through, and Clarissa and the child; holding you captive for months while they used you and took your past and life away, it led you to confusion and depression as you struggled to understand yourself. But you understand now. You know who you were, before, and it’s not that much different to how you are now. You’re still the same person, but since then you’ve had a good job and a loving partner. Who you weren’t very grateful to” he added sharply, nodding towards Natsumi. “But it wasn’t so bad a turnout, and you’re still you when the lies are peeled away. And if you peel away the lies around me, I’m still the same guy too. Can’t you see that? I had to put on so many masks for Real Duel and Murtagh to protect myself, along with you and others, but they are only skin deep. We’ve known each other long enough, worked together on the front line on so many operations; there are parts of me you know are still the same. I don’t expect things to be the same, but can’t you see I’m still the same uptight, stern professional guy who has been your partner since the academy? I’ve tried to do what I’ve done the best I can, but I failed in every way, only succeeding in keeping myself alive until the end. But if Baron catches me then I won’t have even that. Can you really sentence me like this now Dai? Because I did my duty and in doing so was trapped in a snare? Because I struck you down to keep my own cover? Because I kept you safe from a truth that would destroy you and many others? Can you?”

Daiki paused for a moment as Garvan’s words jumbled in his head. Kept him safe? By attacking him and the others by Murtagh’s bidding, stopping them from getting to Murtagh? Well, maybe if he hadn’t, Murtagh might have defeated and killed them... maybe .By covering up a lie that would destroy him? Well, he had been devastated when he found out at first, of course he had, but he was getting used to the idea. But by separating him from his daughter? How could he justify that one? Well, if he’d have found out and gone marching into the all powerful Real Duel, how might that have turned out? Doubtful they’d just hand her over and apologize. But by letting him go through his depression, and his fits of temper that Natsumi had suffered, knowing everything that would answer his doubts about himself, but saying nothing. And Natsumi was lying over there behind him, tied up and hurt...

Dai’s fists clenched, so hard his knuckles lost flow of his boiling blood. Slowly, he placed said hand to his deck...

“I... draw...” His words were forced and venom-laced. “I activate the magic [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Treasure_Cards_of_Magic_Sealing"]Treasure Cards of Magic Sealing[/url]. This lets me more draw two more cards, but I can’t activate any more magic or trap cards this turn.” His mind was darkening rapidly, something pulsing... throbbing through him... a feeling he’d never felt before. Building darkly inside him, the will to see justice dealt, even resulting in suffering if that’s what it meant. Going to his deck again, he snatched two cards. All he needed was a level four monster.

“Summon, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Aster_Drawn"]Aster Drawn[/url]!” A small child-like fairy, wearing an artist’s beret and holding a wand, floated next to the knight (Lv4, ATK 1600). Daiki’s body was beginning to shake. “Now I overlay my two level four monsters and Xyz summon once again! My daughter’s gift of hope for what’s right, descend once as my arm, Number 39: Aspiring Emperor Hope!” The gold swordsman burst from its seal once more, the runes appearing on Daiki’s hand. The Numbers that quickly turned to radiating black.

“When Aster Drawn is used as Xyz material, it passes on an effect to the summoned monster, letting me draw one more card...” For the third time to the deck, the cards in which were enveloped in the same dark aura his marks were. Snatching at the card he looked at it, a card he’d never seen before! But he wasn’t surprised. He didn’t feel anything at all. He just played on, glaring at the statuesque Garvan with rage in his eyes. “Now I overlay Number 39! Chaos Xyz Change!”

Hope returned to his seal and sank into the opened vortex, only for a darker grey seal to rise, and the mighty [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Number_C39%3A_Utopia_Ray"]Chaos Number 39: Aspiring Emperor Hope Ray[/url] to come in its place (Rk4, ATK 2500). Garvan stared at it in panic, his eyes noticeably darting to his face down in hope. He had no hope now. Daiki knew what it must be for him to look it like that; [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Mirror_Force"]Holy Barrier - -Mirror Force[/url]. But this card, Kaneko’s final gift for him to avenge her, would deal with that.

“Now I equip Hope Ray with this card, a creation of the feelings between us and our daughter in the form of a weapon that slays wrong and injustice! [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/ZW_-_Lightning_Blade"]Zexal Weapon - Lightning Blade[/url]!” Garvan and Natsumi both looked up in disbelief as a portal above him, and a tiger like creature came out (Lv5, ATK 1200). The beast snarled before taking the form of a sword, fitting Hope Ray perfectly. Below it, the dark aura had enveloped Daiki’s entire body now, affecting his heavy breathing and enraged heart. “Only equip-able to a Chaos Number, Lightning Blade protects the equipped monster from being destroyed by card effects as well as raising its attack. Now Hope, crush Garvan! Chaos Hope Sword Slash!”

Hope Ray took flight, wielding the crackling blade with both hands and raising it over his head (ATK 3700). Natsumi cried out, and covered her eyes in fear of what would happen. Daiki shouted something; he didn’t know what exactly in anger, as Hope swooped and plunged down with the sword directly at Garvan. He gasped in horror, abandoned his face down, and went for his hand.

“I activate a card from my hand. Appear, [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gagaga_Gardna"]Gagaga Gardna[/url]!” A masked warrior holding a giant shield appeared in front of him at the last second (Lv4, DEF 2000). “When I’m attacked directly, I can special summon him to take the attack.”

“Damn it, but you can’t protect him back for his loyalty” Daiki swore in frustration as Hope Ray drove the sword into Gardna, obliterating him instead of Garvan. Annoyed to lose his chance, he turned to his remaining card. “I set this and end my turn. I will go through with it next turn. Then I will finish it.”

“So you will try to go through with it after all? I draw... and activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Treasure_Cards_of_Adversity"]Treasure Cards of Adversity[/url]. Because you control a special summoned monster and I have none, I can draw two cards.” Garvan grimaced, and drew his pair as Hope Ray returned to Daiki’s side. He gave them one long look.

“... I summon [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gagaga_Girl"]Gagaga Girl[/url] to the field. Then I activate [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gagagarevenge"]Gagaga Revenge[/url], to revive Gagaga Magician from my cemetery.” Master and apprentice appeared side by side in their matching cloaks, the blonde sorceress acknowledging her senior (Lv3, ATK 1000). Daiki grimaced; they were dangerous together, but he was ready for it. Whatever Garvan chose to go into, mostly likely Magi Girl, he would destroy it. His own face down Mirror Force would see to that. Then he just had to come up with a way to deal with the effect the annoying blonde would have on Hope Ray to finish Garvan’s remaining life points, as he reached for his D-Disk. “Now I activate my face down...”

The trap pulled back, and Daiki recoiled in shock as he recognised it. “You gotta be kidding me? That card?” That wasn’t possible. That card; that had been a dead draw when they last duelled. That Daiki had criticised Garvan wasting by including in his deck. That was right there, completing the circle.

[url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Gagagaguard"]Gagaga Guard[/url]!

“When I control two Gagaga monsters, I can activate this card” Garvan explained redundantly to the stunned spectators, as he went hurriedly for his extra deck. “Now for the rest of turn, none of my monsters can be destroyed by battle or card effect. Now I’ll activate the effects of my two monsters to make them both level six and overlay them. I Xyz summon; [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Magi_Magi_%E2%98%86_Magician_Gal"]Magi Magi Magician Girl[/url]!”

The two Gagaga monsters disappeared, in their place rose the stunning blonde high sorceress that was Garvan’s real ace (Rk6, ATK 2700). “When used as Xyz material with another Gagaga monster, Gagaga Girl’s effect grants Magi Girl the ability to target your monster, and make its attack zero...”

Hope Ray and its enchanted weapon lost their dark aura and visibly crippled as the spell took hold (ATK 0). Daiki just stood there as his own aura faded too, unmoved, unable to do anything, as Garvan reached out. “It doesn’t matter that Hope won’t be destroyed, this is enough. Magi Girl, attack Hope Ray!”

It was over very quickly. With one wave of her staff, a blast of magic hit Hope straight in the chest, knocking it backwards. The blast transferred to Daiki, who choked... took a step back... swayed... and dropped to his knees, hanging his head in simple exhaustion and disbelief (LP 0).

The AV dissipated immediately, both Xyz monsters vanishing and with them the golden cord chaining the two duelists together also disappeared. As soon as it did Garvan turned and ran, jumping onto the edge of the building and the top of the fire escape, stopping only to give Natsumi a quick, stoic look before looking over at Daiki’s forlorn form. There was no malice or anything in his expression, other than maybe a little hint of cockiness in his victory over a Chaos Number.

“Well I guess that settles our argument as to who the better duelist is at last. No hard feelings Daiki. I won’t hold your issues against you.” He stopped to go for his D-Disk one last time, and threw a card at Natsumi. “Just make sure you get these back to your daughter if you ever find her again; their power is clearly addictive and bad for you. As for me, I’m going to get away from here and put all this behind me, and build a new life... far away. You two should try to too. Forget about me and the past, you two look to the future and after each other, properly this time. Say hi to Baron for me, and have a nice life.”

With that he dropped over the edge. Natsumi got up and watched him go; he took only a few seconds to get down the side of the building to the street below and sprint to the bike Daiki had left. There were a few people starting to mill about now, they were mostly too busy staring up at the sky and the remains of the city free from monsters and hugging each other to pay him much attention. Garvan saddled up and kicked the bike into starting, took one last look up at her for a moment, before accelerating away. She watched him go until he was completely out of sight; certain she’d never see him again.

Daiki hadn’t moved. He was still just kneeling there, looking down at himself. She approached him cautiously, her hands still tied but at least she’d been able to wriggle them out in front of her now to drop beside him. He was upset, not crying, but clearly devastated about something. “It doesn’t matter that he’s gone. Things happen, what will be will be, and maybe it’s for the best. Don’t beat yourself up.”

“It’s not that...” Daiki replied hollowly, refusing to look up. “I was so angry with him, I lost control. I tried to kill him, even before the duel. Then that... happened... After all my talk about justice, I try to execute the guy after everything. I shouldn’t have done that.”

“You’re just tired, and messed up. It’s been a hard experience for everyone, especially you and Clarissa. But at least we’re in one piece. I hope she’s okay too, and the others.” Natsumi squatted in front of him, staring intently at him with her piercing eyes. “Why did you get so angry with Garvan? Was it really because he betrayed you... or was it because he hurt me...?”

“Well, maybe... a bit of both” Daiki shifted under her gaze. “I know; its thanks to Garvan you’re alive at all after he rescued you from the abyss, even if he then used you. But also just... lying to me about everything, when he could have stopped everything I went through... and put you through because of it. It was selfish. I’m sorry.”

“It’s alright... it doesn’t matter now. I’m a bit selfish too...” Natsumi said slowly. “Because despite everything that it risked... I’m glad you came to rescue me...”

The two shared an awkward silence for a long moment. Just letting the world go by, not saying anything, just sitting close to each other. Natsumi eventually broke the silence with an uncertain tone. “I know you probably aren’t thrilled if it means taking his advice, but Garvan is right. We should put the past behind us. More than just today, I mean our past. Do you think... I mean would you want to... try again?”

“Yeah... I would like to try too...”

Natsumi gave him an awkward hug which he reciprocated, though a bit half-heartedly, before undoing the binds on her wrists. Standing to leave they turned to the stairs down into the hotel, which at that moment the door to burst open and several armed agents stormed out, shouting and pointing various weapons at them. Daiki rolled his eyes and stood in front of Nat as she jumped behind him, waiting until finally Baron emerged. Glancing around the roof in fury hunting for something, he was seething.

“Alright. Where is he?”

“Gone” Daiki replied, remembering the bloody tracker device Garvan had given him and throwing it to the director general, who was quite stunned as he caught it. “He said hi by the way.”

The director seemed to have difficulty coming to terms with this, as he walked up to them. He was strained and long in the face, eyes popping out and growling, almost spitting in Daiki’s face. “Explain.”

“Explain? You want me, to explain, to you?” Dai growled. “What do you want to hear exactly? How eight of us entered the abyss to face a dead man and his nightmare? How Natsumi was almost killed, and god knows what happened to the others in a fight for the entire world’s survival. How Clarissa, who [i]by the way [/i]I know you made no attempt to stop when she held Real Duel; and my daughter, who also [b][i]by the way[/i][/b], I know that you knew about all along and were quite comfy to let Real Duel get away with” Daiki was getting louder as he rattled off “along with Jin and Sakura fought against the guy responsible for all that’s happened, beat him and saved your ass!” He was right in Baron’s face now; the guy didn’t back off a millimetre as he did, just sneering disdainfully and his face twitching slightly. “No, I imagine all you need to hear now is that Murtagh is dead, [i]Shinawatra Zabarnacht[/i] is dead, all those guys who fought for you could well be dead... and Garvan, unfortunately for you, got away. How’s that for explain?”

Baron blinked at the name Shinawatra Zabarnacht, but otherwise was unfazed. News of Garvan’s escape however riled him. “Escaped? When you hold his tracking chip. I don’t suppose you two would have happened to have helped him at all, would you now?”

“Oh right, you’re going to fit me up for that so you come out all shiny and clean in front of your bosses right?” Daiki scoffed. “Course I didn’t let him bloody escape! I had to choose between catching him or rescuing Natsumi, one or the other; and it’s in my training to get people whose lives are in danger out of potential harm as the first priority, not grab the bad guy and watch her die.” He’d lied about that bit, but the hell did Baron deserve honesty. “Now I hate Garvan for what he did to me and others, but at least I understand why he did all those things, acting as your guy. Now it’s your turn to explain Baron. Explain why you didn’t grab Murtagh when Garvan served him up to you? Why you did nothing when Clarissa was putting hundreds of thousands of kids into comas? Why you turned a blind eye to Real Duel being corrupt and freely run riot and unregulated, which nearly resulted in all our doom? Why damn you!?”

Baron stood there, shaking in anger, a vein pulsing above his temple, as he whispered venomously at the pair of them. “You dare hold me responsible for this? On what grounds do you spout this... crap!?”

“Crap!?” Natsumi yelped. “We know this on the word of your own agent. Hunter, your own captain, told me everything. It’s his word, and it doesn’t cast you in the great light that you bask in.”

Baron’s gaze snapped on her. He wanted to say or do something, but Daiki stepped in front of him. The two men glared daggers at each other, daring each other to say or do the wrong thing in front of all of the armed gunmen. Infuriating, Baron just shrugged. “Surely as a detective inspector, you know that our work is not a case of black and white? It’s not as simple as just catching the bad guys and locking them up. There are many complexities, many politics and deals that need to be finely balanced to ensure the best outcome. Sometimes you have to let a fly go loose to lead you back to the horde. Clarissa was the fly to draw Murtagh, who we would grab along with all the international terrorists he had to be dealing with. Or we would have if Garvan hadn’t screwed up.”

“Oh right” Natsumi snapped. “And who decides what the best outcome is? You?”

“Exactly” Baron snapped right back. “No, I accept no responsibility for any of what’s happened.”

“Oh really? Somehow I didn’t expect you too” Daiki drawled sarcastically. Baron huffed and went to walk off, discussion over as far as he was concerned. Daiki still had something to clear up though, given the guys surrounding him and Nat. “So what happens now?”

Baron stopped, and shrugged. “Despite your reckless and selfish actions, you have done the duty I set you and helped ensure the safety of this country and its people, by terminating the threat of Murtagh and Zabarnacht.” Baron didn’t seem surprised or confused by that name, much to their increased ire. “Therefore, you have succeeded in your duty, and your term in my service is over. You are free to go. Concerning Miss Hotaru, who also seems to have helped, the cases against her were bought up by Real Duel. Given that Real Duel is now destroyed, those cases can be dropped.”

“And the others...” Daiki asked. Baron rolled his eyes and sighed, before rounding on him again.

“Ah, alright. [i]If[/i] Clarissa is still alive and found to be somewhere on our shores, she will be given a full pardon, and put on the first plane back to her country we can provide, on the provision that she never sets foot in Japan again. If she does, then she will be dealt with without mercy. As for the girl, if she is also alive, you two can argue what happens to her between you. Satisfied? Because I would not advice you to push your damn luck or my temper much further...”

Baron jabbed his finger in Daiki’s chest. He had to take it, despite his blood pumping, there was ringing in his ears. “I suppose then that... if there was ever any suggestion that we might not stay quiet about everything that happened, or that we might be tempted to voice our [i]displeasure[/i] at your role in all of this, then we will find ourselves quietly silenced, right?”

Baron smirked, and nodded. “You suppose that correctly...”

With a furious rush of blood to the head, the final straw in him snapped. Before any of the guard could react Daiki stepped forward and threw a straight punch at Baron, as hard as he possibly could, driving his bloody fist full into his face. Completely taken off guard by his audacious move Baron took it hard, falling back onto his bottom clutching his jaw, a trickle of blood slowly seeping down from his nostril. As soon as the punch landed all the agents rounded their weapons directly on Daiki and threatened to fire but he ignored them, focused entirely on the man laid spluttering and gasping on the ground. He was furious, but he didn’t seem to want to give an order to fire.

“Alright, we know where we stand then. We’ll keep that in mind. Let’s go Nat.”

Taking Natsumi by the hand and stepping over Baron’s sprawled form (Natsumi threw the director a dirty glare for good measure as she followed), the pair marched between the remaining agents and into the hotel stairwell, removed for a few minutes from the light of the morning sun glistening high above Japan, basking the survivors of humanity in its glorious light.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=AND WE'RE BACK!]
I've been looking forward to this for quite some time now. This explains a lot, and gets that last bit of the current storyline to a close before the general epilogue. We know what happened to Garvan and Natsumi now, and we know what Daiki thinks of him. I [i]still[/i] don't know what side Garvan was on, though. Maybe I skipped that bit.

The duel... well. I enjoyed it for the most part, with the Numbers being back, for no discernible reason, but whatever. I suppose it would have been awkward without them. The whole back and forth flow of the duel was done well, and I didn't know who was going to win until the very end. That is important for me, cause I hate predictable outcomes. I like the fact that someone [b]finally[/b] beat someone with C39 out, especially with the ZEXAL Weapon. Garvan's final Xyz could really have been anything, and I suppose Magi Magi fits, but I wish he had a more iconic monster, and perhaps if Daiki had used that card that he only used once, but was supposedly his ace once upon a time, Kachi Kochi Dragon. Skill Gainer for teh lulz, and its effect is put to good use, but still. The duel was good, really good, but not epic. Not awe inspiring.

Waiting for more stuff, how much more are you planning for?[/spoiler]

[quote name='The Seal of Eon' timestamp='1355329967' post='6091300']
[spoiler=AND WE'RE BACK!]
I've been looking forward to this for quite some time now. This explains a lot, and gets that last bit of the current storyline to a close before the general epilogue. We know what happened to Garvan and Natsumi now, and we know what Daiki thinks of him. I [i]still[/i] don't know what side Garvan was on, though. Maybe I skipped that bit.

The duel... well. I enjoyed it for the most part, with the Numbers being back, for no discernible reason, but whatever. I suppose it would have been awkward without them. The whole back and forth flow of the duel was done well, and I didn't know who was going to win until the very end. That is important for me, cause I hate predictable outcomes. I like the fact that someone [b]finally[/b] beat someone with C39 out, especially with the ZEXAL Weapon. Garvan's final Xyz could really have been anything, and I suppose Magi Magi fits, but I wish he had a more iconic monster, and perhaps if Daiki had used that card that he only used once, but was supposedly his ace once upon a time, Kachi Kochi Dragon. Skill Gainer for teh lulz, and its effect is put to good use, but still. The duel was good, really good, but not epic. Not awe inspiring.

Waiting for more stuff, how much more are you planning for?[/spoiler]
[/quote]

And we've got a comment.

Yeah, sorry about the wait and can understand after such a while that people haven't really noticed the return for this last bit. Regarding Garvan; I think in the end he just got to the point where he had been trying to do the right thing and got screwed over so many times he just started to look out for himself and try to survive by any means. A lot of the point of this chapter was good and bad is sometimes not Black and White, as also highlighted with Baron, and also the 'bad' guys, if that's how people define Garvan, sometimes get away and the hero (if Dai is that to people) doesn't always get his man.

I was expecting a bit of a backlash about 'why the heck are you still using Numbers?', which would be merited, its a bit fanservicey, but I wanted to do it to show Dai's flaws and Garvan beating Chaos Hope and Zexal (especially using the card he did). The break did some good though for the duel; thank goodness for the release of Aster Drawn and Breakthrough Skill. One Eyed beating a Number was also something I wanted to get in here along with Gunman. Anyway, glad it led to a tense final duel.

Would have helped if I'd got Magi Girl into the 3on2 as I intended as Garvan's non-Number ace, but couldn't manage it unfortunately. :(

On that subject, might as well put up everyone's final decklistings now.

[b]Final Deck Listings[/b]

This is a full compilation of decklists and all cards used by anyone who duelled in the forth arc, or was involved in the defence of the Royal Hotel using a Duel Deck.

In the cases of Hotaru Natsumi, Hakai Unmai, and Vladimir Kanchev; it is assumed that any monsters and trap cards they only used in their tag turbo duel (for example Flamvell Helldog and Chain Lost) also exist in their regular ground decks. Garvan Zielinski is known to have rebuilt his deck after his turbo duel, and any cards that only appeared in his turbo and ground decks before then are included separately, as is the case with Sakamoto Jinrei. All of the cards used by Masuro Daiki in his turbo duel have appeared in his regular deck. Finally, the Zexal Weapon cards used by Daiki and Clarissa are not included in their regular decks... on the grounds of DUES-EX-MACHINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

[b][spoiler=Masuro, Daiki[/b]]Duel Deck: Instant Xyz Warriors!

Cards Used (Main Deck): 48

Numbers: 39: Aspiring Emperor Hope (appeared at end of duel against Garvan), 96: Black Mist (received from Wilhelm)

Ground Deck: Aster Drawn, Darklon, Dol Dora, Evil Shinobi, Flame Tiger, Goblindbergh, Howling Warrior, Kagemusha Knight, Key Warrior Keyman, Level Warrior, Little Trooper, Majestic Gear Flashing Sky, Multiplying G, Real Crusader, Shield Warrior, Shine Knight, Silver Sniper, Soul Convoy, Speed Bird, Summoner Sambel, Tasuke Knight, The Tricky, Trident Warrior, Warrior Lady of the Wasteland,

Armoured Xyz, Forbidden Chalice, Jar of Avarice, Monster Slot, Power of Unity, Raise Dead, Resonance Device, Surging Resonance, Tannhauser Gate, Treasure Cards of Magic Sealing, Unprecedented Wind, Xyz Energy,

Battle Mania, Crack into the Different Dimension, Damage Condenser, Demon Chain, Dimensional Imprisonment, Guard Block, Holy Barrier – Mirror Force, Limit Rebirth, Seven Tools of Bandit, Truth Reinforce, Xyz Reflect, Xyz Soul

Extra Deck: Grenosaurus, Kachi Kochi Dragon, Missing X-Saber Invoker, One Eyed Skill Gainer, Protector of Precepts Tiras, Solid Frozen Gantetsu, Sword Breaker[/spoiler]

[b][spoiler=Clarissa Haines-Wilshire[/b]]Duel Deck: Swarm of the Inverz!

Numbers: 30: Acid Golem of Destruction (obtaining unknown, although suggested to be similar to how Daiki acquired Hope), 22: Fran Ken (see Acid Golem).

Ground Deck: Battle Fader, Critter, Evil Cell of the Inverz, Illusion Snatch, Inverz All Purpose Form, Inverz Caller, Inverz Gasath, Inverz Gatekeeper, Inverz Gilafer, Inverz Greys, Inverz Madith, Inverz Moth, Inverz Sentinel, Inverz Sharp, Level Stealer, Overlay Eater, Scout of the Inverz, Stygian Hell Patrol, Tour Guide from Hell,

Allure of Darkness, Beginning of the End, Black Hole, Dual Summon, Enemy Controller, Foolish Burial, Magic Box of Death, Move of the Invasion, Nightmare Again, One for One, Overlay Regenerate, Treasure Cards of Reversal, Wish Upon a Star, Xyz Gift,

Dark Spirit Art Greed, Demon Chain, Dimension Slide, Holy Barrier – Mirror Force, Hell Blast, Hope for Escape, Invasion Ripple, Limit Rebirth, Means of the Invasion, Mirror of the Cursed Words, Number Wall, Stunning Upset, Super Junior Showdown!, Threatening Roar

Extra Deck: Empty Space Serpent Leviair, Inverz Roach, Protector of the End Adreus[/spoiler]

[b][spoiler=Murtagh][/b]Duel Deck: Chaos God Dragons!

Numbers: 6: OOPArts Atlanthal, 11: Big Eye (obtaining unknown), 32: Shark Drake (won from Orion), 55: Gentle Spirit Bluewing (received from Izura), 92: False Skeletal God Dragon (obtaining unknown)

Ground Deck: Alexandrite Dragon, Battle Fader, Blue Eyes White Dragon, Darkblaze Dragon x3, Darkflare Dragon, Darkstorm Dragon, Destruction Dragon Gandra, Dragorado, Eclipse Wyvern, God Dragon Apocalypse, Guard of the Flamvell, Light and Darkness Dragon, Lightpulsar Dragon, Masked Dragon, Material Dragon, Phantom Dragon, Red Eyes Black Dragon, Red Eyes Dark Metal Dragon, Star Bright Dragon, Variable Machine Gunner Dragon,

Advance Draw, Berserk Scales, Chaos Zone, Dragon Mirror, Forbidden Chalice, Future Fusion, Galaxy Queen’s Light, Hand Obliteration, Hell Reckless Summon, Monster Gate, Raise Dead, Silent Dead, Spirit Conversion Device, Trade In, Wingbeat of Giant Dragon, Xyz Burst,

Crafty Pitfall, Cry of the Living Dead, Cursed Prison, Declaration of God, Demon Chain, Guard Block, Holy Barrier – Mirror Force, Reincarnation of Dragon, Return from the Different Dimension, Torrential Burial

Extra Deck: Five God Dragon, Thunderclap Knight Gaia Dragoon, Thunder End Dragon[/spoiler]

[b][spoiler=Garvan Zielinski[/b]]Duel Deck: Instant Xyz Magicians!

Cards Used (Main Deck): 41

Numbers: 83: Galaxy Queen (appeared at end of duel against Daiki), 17: Leviath Dragon (won from duel drone), 34: ECB Terabyte (won from Scag)

Ground Deck: Battle Fader, Dark Spider, Effect Veiler, Gagaga Gardna, Gagaga Girl, Gagaga Magician, Jester Confit, Jinhua Cat, Light Serpent, Mutant Highbrain, Peten the Dark Clown x2, Power Giant, Predicting Monk Cho-Len, Shadow Lizard, Summon Priest x2,

Book of Moon, Cyclone, Dual Cyclone, Gagaga Back, Gagaga Bolt, Gagaga Revenge, Galaxy Wave, Mysterious Wok, One for One, One Shot Wand, Treasure Cards of Adversity, Wonder Wand, Xyz Double Back,

Breakthrough Skill, Damage Condenser, Damage Translation, Foolish Revival, Forced Stop, Gagaga Guard, Gagaga Rush, Gagaga Shield, Hate Crevasse, Skill Successor, Underground Machine Gun

Extra Deck: Alchemic Magician, Gagaga Gunman, Magi Magi Magician Girl, Tinplate Archduke

Old Cards: The following cards appeared in Garvan’s original ground and riding decks, and may or may not be included in his new deck: Full Elf, Bound Wand, Giant Shadow of Egotism, Magic Blast, Cry of the Living Dead, Hidden Soldiers, Xyz Reborn, Shine Elf[/spoiler]

[b][spoiler=Hotaru, Natsumi[/b]]Duel Deck: Laval Storm!

Cards Used (Main Deck): 34

Numbers: 61: Volcasaurus (obtaining unknown), 50: Black Corn, 7: Lucky Stripe (won from Gorou)

Ground Deck: Boundless Dead, Flamvell Helldog, Laval Burner, Laval Burning Temptress, Laval Cannon, Laval Gunner, Laval Lady of the Burning Lake, Laval Magma Artillery, Laval Phlogis, Laval Rotating Wheel, Necro Gardna, Poke Dra x3, Tender of Laval Volcano x2,

Berserk Scales, Dual Summon, Jar of Avarice, Pureflame Eruption, Star Changer, Sweltering Heat Transmission Field, Raise Dead, Space Cyclone, Xyz Treasure,

Attack Invulnerability, Blazing Dust Explosion, Compensation of Blood, Cry of the Living Dead, Dimensional Imprisonment, Firewall, Heaven’s Penalty, Quickening of the Flame Swirl, Sadistic Potion, Torrential Burial, Xyz Reborn

Extra Deck: Lavalval Chain, Lavalval Dragon, Lavalval Ignis, Laval Steraid, Laval Twin Slayer[/spoiler]

[b][spoiler=Sakamoto, Jinrei][/b]Duel Deck: Wind it up Mainsprings!

Cards Used (Main Deck): 31

Numbers:33: OOPArts Super Weapon Machu Mach (received from Kaneko), 12: Armoured Ninja Crimson Shadow (won from duel drone), 20: Giganto Brilli-Ant (won from duel drone).

Ground Deck: Card Car D, Mainspring Bat, Mainspring Dog, Mainspring Hunter, Mainspring Juggler, Mainspring Kitten, Mainspring Knight, Mainspring Magician, Mainspring Rat x3, Mainspring Shark, Mainspring Soldier, Mainspring Warrior, Quick Attack Scarecrow,

Cross Attack, Dual Summon, Minimum Guts, Overwound Spring, Raise Dead, Swinging Mainspring Scales, Raging Storm, Treasure Card Turnover,

Burning Fighting Spirit, Damage Diet, Damage Polarizer, Dimensional Imprisonment, Guard Block, Over Wrench, Spiral Style Spring, Spring Rewinding

Extra Deck: Mainsrping Assaulter Zenmaio, Mainspring Air Carrier Zenmaighty x3, Mainspring Gunner Zenmaister, Mainspring Naval Mine Zenmine, Symphonic Devil Maestroke

Old Cards: The following cards appeared in Jin’s original deck, and may or may not be included in his new deck: Mainspring Rabbit, Limiter Release, Mainspring Manufacture, Star Changer, Half Unbreak, Regretful Complaint, Xyz Veil[/spoiler]

[b][spoiler=Nakashima, Sakura][/b]Duel Deck: Holy Guardians: Sacred!

Cards Used (Main Deck): 29

Numbers: 16: Ruler of Colour: Shock Ruler (won from duel drone)

Ground Deck: Daybreaker x2, Effect Veiler, Honest, Priest of the Sun, Sacred Dabaran, Sacred Eska, Sacred Gredi, Sacred Hawwa, Sacred Kaust, Sacred Leonis, Sacred Pollux, Sacred Schet, Sacred Sheratan, Sacred Spica,

Aurora Draw, Fighting Spirit, Forbidden Chalice, Magic Planter, Overlay Regenerate, Photon Lead, Raise Dead, Star Sign of the Sacred,

Cry of the Living Dead, Holy Barrier – Mirror Force, Miracle Locus, Photonize, Sacred Meteor, Trap Stun

Extra Deck: Sacred Beehive, Sacred Hyades, Sacred Messier Ptolemy’s, Sacred Omega, Sacred Pleiades[/spoiler]

[b][spoiler=Kaneko][/b]Duel Deck: Supreme Photon Light!

Cards Used (Main Deck): 33

Numbers: 8: Heraldic King Genome Heriter (obtaining unknown), 10: White Knight Illuminator (received from Natsumi/Orion) 25: Fullmetal Photoglide - Focus Force (given to her by Orion)

Ground Deck: Galaxy Eyes Photon Dragon, Holy Bird Crane, Kuribolt x2, Mirror Ladybug, Necro Gardna, Photon Cereburus, Photon Crusher, Photon Kaiser x2, Photon Sabre Tiger x3, Photon Satellite, Photon Slasher, Photon Wyvern, Summon Priest, Tasuke Knight,

Feelings Towards the Future, Foolish Burial, Forbidden Lance, Hand Severing, Magic Planter, Photon Booster, Photon Sanctuary, Photon Sublimation, Photon Trident,

Compensation of Blood, Emissaries of Harmony, Photonize, Safety Zone, Skill Drain, Sub-Space Matter Transporter

Extra Deck: Neo Galaxy Eyes Photon Dragon, Protector of Precepts Tiras, Protector of the End Adreus[/spoiler]

[b][spoiler=Doctor Hank Evos][/b]Duel Deck: Raging Evol-ution!

Cards Used (Main Deck): 27

Numbers: 19: Freezerdon (obtaining unknown), 91: Thunderspark Dragon (won from Wilhelm)

Ground Deck: Evoldar Cerato, Evoldar Darwinos, Evoldar Diplodocus, Evoldar Eliasx2, Evoldar Vulcanodon, Evolgo Lagosuchus, Evolgo Najasho, Evolgo Odochelys, EvolgoPleuros, Evolgo Westlo, Rescue Rabbit, Saber Zaurus x2,

Akashic Record, Black Snake Disease, Forced Evolution, Magic Planter, My Body as a Shield, Prohibition Command, Shallow Grave, Varied Evolution,

Instant Evolution, Pitfall of Hades, Seven Tools of the Bandit, Survival Instinct, Xyz Veil

Extra Deck: Evolkaiser Doruka, Evolkaiser Lagia, Evolkaiser Solde[/spoiler]

[b][spoiler=Kato, Asami][/b]Duel Deck: Terrifying Doll Parade – Gimmick Puppets!

Cards Used (Main Deck): 19

Numbers: 15: Gimmick Puppet Giant Killer (obtaining unknown), 40: Gimmick Puppet Heaven’s Strings (obtaining unknown)

Ground Deck: Gimmick Puppet Baby Face, Gimmick Puppet Bomb Egg, Gimmick Puppet Gear Changer, Gimmick Puppet Magne Doll, Gimmick Puppet Necro Doll x2, Gimmick Puppet Night Joker, Gimmick Puppet Scarecrow,

Black Hole, Designator from the Different Dimension, Forbidden Cloth, Junk Puppet, One for One, Resonance Device, Trade In,

Enhanced Space, Gimmick Box, Mischief of the Yokai, Nightmare Demons[/spoiler]

[b][spoiler=Maeda, Izura][/b]Duel Deck: Butterfly Assassin Dance!

Cards Used (Main Deck): 12

Numbers: 55: Gentle Spirit Bluewing

Ground Deck: Moonlit Papillion, Phantom Butterfly Asassin Ageda, Phantom Butterfly Assassin Morpho, Phantom Butterfly Assassin Ulysses,

Rasie Dead, Reinforcement of Army, Warrior Returning Alive,

Demon Chain, Foolish Revival, Insect Scales of Servitude, Seven Tools of the Bandit, Xyz Reborn

Extra Deck: Photon Alexandra Queen, Photon Butterfly Assassin[/spoiler]

[b][spoiler=Tanaka, Rokuro][/b]Duel Deck: Bouncer Bash!

Cards Used (Main Deck): 7

Numbers:None

Ground Deck: Blade Bouncer, Dododo Warrior, Hammer Rush Bouncer, Phantom Bouncer,

Dual Summon, Raise Dead,

Bouncer Guard

Extra Deck: Photon Streak Bouncer[/spoiler]

[b][spoiler=Prime Minister Nakashima, Hideo][/b]Duel Deck: Beasts of Yore Heraldics!

Cards Used (Main Deck): 6

Ground Deck: Heraldic Beast Aberconway, Heraldic Beast Basilisk, Heraldic Beast Bernards Falcon, Heraldic Beast Unicorn, Heraldic Beast Yale,

High Medallion Arts[/spoiler]

[b][spoiler=Ageda, Junichi][/b]Duel Deck: Beautiful Duel Mermail-Atlanteans!

Cards Used: 16

Ground Deck: Mermail Abyssgunde x2, Mermail Abysspike x2, Mermail Megaloabyss, Sea Emperor Dragon Poseidra, Shooting Soldier of the Sea Emperor, Water Spirit God Moulin Grace,

Abysscale Armour Kraken, Forgotten Capital Lemuria, Hand Obliteration, Raise Dead,

Abyssquall, Abysstrom, Bubble Bringer, Reckless Greed

Extra Deck: Awakened Hero Gagagigo, Mermail Gaioabyss[/spoiler]

[b][spoiler=Morita, Yudai (White Horseman Pestilence)][/b]Duel Deck: Infected Nightmare Verz!

Cards Used (Main Deck): 16

Numbers: 69: God Medallion Coat of Arms (obtaining unknown)

Ground Deck: Honest, Rescue Rabbit, Verz Castor, Verz Heliotrope x2, Verz Mandrago x2, Verz Salamandra, Verz Thunderbird, Verz Wisp,

Creeping Darkness, Fragment of Greed, Raise Dead,

Corrosive Contagion of the Invasion, Corrosive Collapse of the Invasion, Return from the Different Dimension

Extra Deck: Verz Bahamut, Verz Ophion, Verz Ouroboros[/spoiler]

[b][spoiler=Vladimir Kanchev (Red Horseman War)][/b]Duel Deck: Burning Earth of War!

Cards Used (Main Deck): 21

Numbers: 9: Canopy Star – Dyson Sphere (obtaining unknown)

Ground Deck: Block Golem, Earth Spirit God Grand Soil, Gem Armadillo, Gem Turtle, Gemknight Ganet, Gemknight Lazuli, Gemknight Obsidia, Gemknight Rumarin x2, Gemknight Sapphia, Gigastone Omega, Rescue Rabbit,

Cup of Ace, Forbidden Garment, Gemknight Fusion, Hand Obliteration, Metalsilver Armour, Star Changer, Tannhauser Gate,

Assemble Fusion, Windstorm of Etaqua

Extra Deck: Daigusta Emeral, Gemknight Master Diamond, Gemknight Pearl

Old Cards: The following cards appeared in Vladimir’s original deck, and may or may not be included in his War deck: Gemknight Alexand, Gemknight Emerald, Dark Factory of Mass Production, Fusion Cancel, Magic Planter, Raise Dead, Guard Block, Pitfall of Hades, Reckless Greed, Turn Away, Gemknight Amethys, Gemknight Aquamarine, Gemknight Madeira, Gemknight Paz, Gemknight Prism Aura, Gemknight Ruby, Gemknight Zirconia[/spoiler]

[b][spoiler=Hakai, Unmai (Black Horseman Famine)][/b]Duel Deck: Dark Abyss of Famine!

Cards Used (Main Deck): 26

Numbers: 75: Apocalypse Wyvern (obtaining unknown)

Ground Deck: Destiny Hero Bloo-D, Destiny Hero Diabolic Guy x2, Destiny Hero Diamond Guy, Destiny Hero Die Hard Guy, Destiny Hero Dogma Guy, Effect Veiler, Evil Hero Hell Brat, Evil Hero Malicious Fiend, Fusion Seal Magic – Darkness, Torch Golem, Trageodia,

Beginning of the End, Destiny Draw, Dark Calling, Devil Sanctuary, Forbidden Garment, Galaxy Queen’s Light, Misfortune,

Chain Lost, D Shield, Damage Polarizer, Declaration of God, Demon Chain, Destroy Destiny, Proclamation of the Royal Palace

Extra Deck: Dragoon D-End, Evil Hero Dark Gaia

Old Cards: The following cards appeared in Unmai’s original deck, and may or may not be included in his Famine deck: Destiny Hero Dagger Guy, Destiny Hero Defend Guy, Knight of the End, Twin Breaker, Earth Crush, Fusion, Jar of Avarice, Over Destiny, Warrior Returns Alive, Crossroads of Destiny, D Counter, Destiny Signal, Guard Block, Limit Rebirth, Trap Stun[/spoiler]

[b][spoiler=Shinawatra, Zabarnacht (Pale Horseman Death)][/b]Duel Deck: Undying Terror – Temporal Machine Gods!

Cards Used (Main Deck): 34

Numbers: 88: Gimmick Puppet Destiny Leo (obtaining unknown)

Ground Deck: Athena, Effect Veiler, Fallen Angel Asmoseus, Fallen Angel Superbia, Fallen Angel Zerato, Green Declarer, Temporal Machine God Camion, Temporal Machine God Gabrion, Temporal Machine God Hairon, Temporal Machine God Metaion, Temporal Machine God Michion, Temporal Machine God Raphion, Temporal Machine God Razion, Temporal Machine God Sandaion, Temporal Machine God Tzaphion, Temporal Machine God Zadion, Ultimate Temporal Machine God Sephiron, Vermillion Declarer,

Blast Vein, Cards of Lamentation, Deification of Light, Galaxy Queen’s Light, Hall of the Gods Valhalla, Trade In,

Battle Route, Dark Shrine Bribery, Dynamite Wall, Fool’s Ruling, Guard Block, High Priestess’ Staff, Infinite Light Ain Soph Ohr, Infinite Machine Ain Soph, Magician’s Wisdom, Zero Machine Ain[/spoiler]

Chapter was very well done. The Numbers were a bit surprising but since it's not (technically) part of the main storyline, that can be forgiven. Either way, the duel was good, though Garvan's victory was predictable. Actually, I saw it coming before I even read the duel itself, given the way you established the context.

Would've been nice to see something other than Utopia, but oh well. For an Extra Chapter it was quite good.

Well, its great to see this here again dude. Hope it didn't give to much hassle for you.

I had done a fancier review, but power cuts are annoying as anything.

[spoiler='Racoons... ASSEMBLE ']Firstly, I'm stealing some credit for Peten. I mentioned it ages ago. But thats a minor point.

Dai and Nat ending up together wasn't expected... I mean that was quite shocking in a good way. Garvan was a new meaning of badass in this, doing to Hope Ray what should happen to Yuma... lots.

I didn't have a problem with the Numbers turning up, and I'm sure there will be some kind of explanation for that soonish. If there are more chapters to come.

The duel itself was intresting, and I liked the similarities between Kite and Yuma, and Gauche and Yuma's duel, which brought the awesomeness to new levels.

Baron was an arse, and deserved it all. [/spoiler]

But yeah twas a good chapter, and nice to see things coming to a stop. Be there anymore chapters to come?

Hm...

[spoiler=THE SPOILER FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE]
That was an epic chapter. The duel was good, I loved the back and forth, and I honestly didn't expect Garvan to win. Baron being an a****** is...mildly unexpected, but it still makes ense for him. This was good. Can't wait for Clarissa and Kaneko's conclusion, assuming it exists.
[/spoiler]

It was a good chapter, though I'm hoping you will post another so as we can see the conclusion of what happened to Clarissa and Kaneko, as well as what will happen when Hideo and Mai find out Sakura is dead. Also, the finish of the duel was really good, though not an outcome I was expecting. Magi Magi being summoned was excellent though, and Hope Ray being defeated even with a Zexal weapon should happen more often in the actual Zexal anime. Good job, and I saw the chapter about half an hour after you posted it and read it at the time, but I got lazy as usual, and waited till now to comment. Also, are the spoilers for the characters final decks broken, I can only see into Daiki, Clarissa, Garvin and Natsumi's spoilers.

[quote name='- Neo -' timestamp='1355341705' post='6091443']
Chapter was very well done. The Numbers were a bit surprising but since it's not (technically) part of the main storyline, that can be forgiven. Either way, the duel was good, though Garvan's victory was predictable. Actually, I saw it coming before I even read the duel itself, given the way you established the context.

Would've been nice to see something other than Utopia, but oh well. For an Extra Chapter it was quite good.
[/quote]

Ty.

Tbh on this occasion the duel was written first and plot points like the Numbers appearance and potential significance thereof were made to fit in after (hence part of the reason it took so damn long).

But the hero lost? That's not supposed to happen! The hero never loses! *sarcasmface*

This duel and the result of it, as I'm sure you can guess from the deliberate use of Gagaga Guard, was set in stone right from the start. Whereas Jin and Sakura's fates were always decided, this was always going to be how Daiki and Garvan were settled, one way or another. This is because another aim of this duel was this is how I feel Yusei vs Jack should have been (ie. Jack finally beats Yusei). Glad you enjoyed it anyway.

[quote name='Archbaron Barthandelus' timestamp='1355348702' post='6091542']
Well, its great to see this here again dude. Hope it didn't give to much hassle for you.

I had done a fancier review, but power cuts are annoying as anything.

[spoiler='Racoons... ASSEMBLE ']Firstly, I'm stealing some credit for Peten. I mentioned it ages ago. But thats a minor point.

Dai and Nat ending up together wasn't expected... I mean that was quite shocking in a good way. Garvan was a new meaning of badass in this, doing to Hope Ray what should happen to Yuma... lots.

I didn't have a problem with the Numbers turning up, and I'm sure there will be some kind of explanation for that soonish. If there are more chapters to come.

The duel itself was intresting, and I liked the similarities between Kite and Yuma, and Gauche and Yuma's duel, which brought the awesomeness to new levels.

Baron was an arse, and deserved it all. [/spoiler]

But yeah twas a good chapter, and nice to see things coming to a stop. Be there anymore chapters to come?
[/quote]

Yes, you get the credit for Peten, who I knew nothing of until you mentioned him (honestly I didn't know him at all).

Well, I guess I didn't do enough to emphasis how strong Dai's feelings for Nat still were during the Abyss arc, even with his growing attachment to Clarissa and Kaneko which may equally have stomped everything, but yeah, there was always meant to be a sort of love-hate-love thing going on between them the whole story which neither of them would admit to. There have been hints they both still wanted to be together, but not glaring enough on my part in hindsight.

There are definite similarities yes. I was watching the Kaito vs Yuma duel thinking "s*** the calls of copying I'm gonna get for Daiki vs Garvan I'm gonna get..." Too late by then.

Deserved a lot more, but probably won't ever get it. That's why he's so detestable.

[quote name='Pacmanexus' timestamp='1355355334' post='6091683']
Hm...

[spoiler=THE SPOILER FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE]
That was an epic chapter. The duel was good, I loved the back and forth, and I honestly didn't expect Garvan to win. Baron being an a****** is...mildly unexpected, but it still makes ense for him. This was good. Can't wait for Clarissa and Kaneko's conclusion, assuming it exists.
[/spoiler]
[/quote]

Cheers. Glad you enjoyed it.

[quote name='Simdoggy' timestamp='1355359197' post='6091720']
It was a good chapter, though I'm hoping you will post another so as we can see the conclusion of what happened to Clarissa and Kaneko, as well as what will happen when Hideo and Mai find out Sakura is dead. Also, the finish of the duel was really good, though not an outcome I was expecting. Magi Magi being summoned was excellent though, and Hope Ray being defeated even with a Zexal weapon should happen more often in the actual Zexal anime. Good job, and I saw the chapter about half an hour after you posted it and read it at the time, but I got lazy as usual, and waited till now to comment. Also, are the spoilers for the characters final decks broken, I can only see into Daiki, Clarissa, Garvin and Natsumi's spoilers.
[/quote]

There is another, proper-epilogue chapter planned for the future, that is a proper extra in the additional sense, and things such as Hideo and Mai's future amongst others will certainly be covered in that.

Happy I'm catching a few people out with this duel. That's always awesome.

I've just double-checked and opened them all, although from where I'm sitting everything below the post is highlighted in bold across the whole site's formatting. I think I broke it =S

Edit: Anyone else having the same problem as Sim?

PS: Thinking about going back and giving chapters titles to make it easier for people to go back through the contents and find things they want to re-read. Good/Bad idea?

• 2 months later...

...... it's been a long time.

Nearly three months in fact, since the last update. And three months since you all read my words that there would be one more chapter...

Sorry it took so long. I think most of you will probably know or be able to guess why.

But here it is; the finale. The last chapter of Yu-Gi-Oh!24, here at long last. It's finally over...

I should like for this topic, as Armageddon before it, to remain open for comments for a week, before it can be locked and closed forever by the mods. I should like comments... I guess. On this chapter or things in general. Just say whatever you want to say, just thought it best to let y'all know you've got a week from the time of this post to get it in or you lose the chance forever. So... yeah... I have no more words left. Other than these, the last chapter...

[spoiler=Extra Chapter 8] ... One year later...

A hum of nervous whispers went around the crowded ruins of the city square, all eyes of the masses focused on the giant, temporary screen that was suspended against the side of half a skyscraper. The rebuilding of Tokyo and the countries other cities was progressing slowly. Any miraculous recovery was foolish to expect. Japan had been hit the hardest of all the major nations in terms of both damage and human lives lost; so much of its entire population wiped out by the tragic and still largely unexplained events  that this day was the first anniversary of. There would be no more rebuilding today. Today was a national, international even, day of mourning and remembrance. Some people knew more than others; knew or had at least pieced together that the trouble had originated from these shores and that some of their own countrymen were responsible for what happened. Some even believed they deserved what had happened to them for their vanity. Many were still confused, angry over the loss of their family and friends by this unnatural disaster that suddenly hit the world then stopped again so suddenly. Leaving a trail of devastation in its wake, that no-one had ever been able to convincingly explain the cause of.

So now, one year later, here they were in these gatherings across the country in front of these put-up screens, or in their homes if they were lucky enough to still have them, to hear what had to be said. To hear something to ease the pain, to quell the anger, or to end the suffering. Everyone looked towards the podium on the screen, inside the government building, to which their leader would take.

In Toshima Halls, a fidgety Hideo adjusted his tie for the ninth time in quick succession, prompting an irritable tut from Mai, who proceeded to do it for him. She didn’t say anything, but her eyes offered him some reassurance. ‘You’ll be fine’. Her eyes were still sorrowful as she looked at him. A haunted look that he couldn’t be sure would ever leave her, as he took her hands. She was shaking. Or was that him shaking her as he held her in an attempt to support? He couldn’t dwell on it for long, as a press officer indicated to him that they were going live. Mouthing something, words didn’t come, he took the stage. All he could see as he looked out from behind his stand was the press officer, counting him in, and the cameraman behind the lens. But on the other side, he knew millions would be watching him.

“Today we grieve, and we remember. There is nothing else anyone could expect, nothing else anyone could do.” Doggedly he made sure his voice stayed firm and strong as he tried to get a rhythm going to his speech, even if he was shaking inside. “A year ago today, a catastrophe struck this country and swept across the planet, the like of which hadn’t been seen since civilization began, as if a thousand meteors or volcanoes had ravaged the world over. A year ago today, one whole third of our brothers and sisters lost their lives, and roughly nearly a quarter of all human life on Earth was wiped from existence. No-one has been unaffected by what happened. No-one has been immune. No-one anywhere in the world emerged from that catastrophe without the loss of someone they cherished, be it a friend, or a neighbour, or a sibling, a parent, or... or a...”

His words clogged for a moment. He couldn’t say it. The press officer was urging him to keep going, move on. Mai was suffering the same way. Forcing a cough to clear the lump in his throat, he moved on.

“Although many factors of what happened may never be fully explained, some of what you suspect is true; that some of those responsible for what happened originated from these shores. The now non-operational Real Duel Ltd bear a lot of the responsibility, as you may have suspected by the subsequent arrests and imprisonments of senior executives at their holding company Shin Corp. Other individuals responsible for this great atrocity, such as Yamada Komodo and Shinawatra Zabarnacht...” The crowds murmured in confusion at the name drop of Shinawatra, unbeknownst to the Prime Minister. He was fully aware of the suited man beside the director glaring at him, but ignored him. “...met the ultimate fate for their crimes in death. Our forces have researched for long hours into their pasts for answers; for some reason for their madness and destructive actions, but little has been uncovered. I tell you this despite the advice given to me because I feel as a nation we need to take responsibility to never allow a repeat of our own mistakes that led to this atrocity, which allowed the evil of two of the greatest traitors to this country to spread. We must teach against the sins of aspiring power and greed, and never let anyone achieve this sort of power again. We should remember their actions so that they are never repeated. But we must also remember the actions of our heroes as well as our villains, people who stood up in the crisis to preserve and save lives. People like my good friends Tanaka Rokuro, who died fighting Yamada, and Ageda Junichi, whose brave and selfless actions saved me and several hundred people, and... um...”

He needed another moment. The director was urging him to keep it rolling, bring it back. He knew, he still had two items to discuss, but he needed the moment of calm. He wondered fleetingly; where were Mr and Mrs Morita right now? If they could see him now, and how they were bearing through this if they could hear him. “...however, I am proud to say that we have already learned, and we are working hard to carry on. Since those tragic events one year ago, I have witnessed a resolve and inner strength in the people of this nation with enormous pride. To rebuild our nation to its former glory, stronger and more unified than before. Your strength in the face of adversity is truly remarkable. Rebuilding our country and our own lives will be slow, we cannot delude ourselves otherwise, but we will get there. As long as we never forget, but never give up, we can overcome. I urge you to be solemn about the past, but strive towards the future too. Also... with that being said... I have to announce... um...”

There was a long pause. Hideo glanced from the camera and looked to Mai, who nodded reassuringly. He needed to do this. Not for the country, who didn’t need the added instability, but for himself and his own sanity. The millions watching waited with bated breath as the man once labelled ‘the grey minister’ cleared his throat, a tear being clearly visible.

“I have to announce my resignation as Prime Minister, with immediate effect. For the last year; I have done my best to guide the country out of the darkness, but now I need to step aside, for you... and for myself. I am not free from guilt and despair about what happened. And as some of you may know, the nameless people to whom I pay the deepest gratitude to for saving us... my daughter Sakura was among them, fighting to end the chaos. Fighting bravely and honestly. But she did not come back. Myself and my former wife Mai, we need our own time in private to grieve for her. I have spoken to various people, and an announcement on my successor will be made soon. So my final words to you the people are to please remember what I have said today, and... thank you. It’s been an honour, but now I need to go.”

No further words would come, but they weren’t necessary now. With a curt bow, Hideo stepped off the side of the stage, limply hugged Mai and walked away, prepared to leave Toshima Halls for the last time.

As Nakashima Hideo left the stage, other citizens of Japan were conducting their own rituals. Still trying to understand, and come to terms with what happened. A ways north of the heavily under-construction city, one building was not under repair. The destroyed remains of the RDL Tower lay in ruins in a small crater, fenced off and left to the ravages of time and nature. The area had been quickly sealed off by the government’s authorities and anything that could be recovered or may contain important details had been taken away, but still for the last year people had come to look over the ruins like moths to flame. All that remained of what was once the most powerful company in Japan and that had been such a big part of their lives, since revealed to have been corrupt and the catalyst for the destruction. Some hardcore patrons refused to believe it; that Real Duel were made the scapegoats in a government cover-up. Others came to spit on the graves of those responsible for their children’s death.

That was exactly why one lady in particularly was here, stood alone from other visitors to the site. The forlorn figure of Mrs Sakamoto; a woman once intimidating and commanding in presence, now a wraith of her former self wasting away in ill health. Her face once round and full was now long drawn and darkened by heavy bags under the eyes. This was the place, the spawning ground for such evil that her beloved Jinrei had somehow got mixed up in, the ruins which although a lasting monument to the sins mankind could commit, would at the same time cast a dark and haunting shadow over the land forever. The loss of her only child a year ago today because of the events started here, she didn’t think even now that she’d ever recover.

Shortly after the disaster, a government official had come to her house. She explained that Jin had died a hero’s death protecting his friends and by association his country. He was to be posthumously given an honour of merit, and that she would be looked after by the state. But it was all still on the quiet, and despite her questions and demanding an explanation, the official would not disclose how or why Jin had died, or why or even what he had been involved in to begin with. She knew then what was really happening. It was not a case of rewarding Jin and giving thanks for his efforts. In her mind, she was being paid off to keep quiet. So she spent the year searching for answers. For those responsible, or some kind of closure and to come to terms with his death. But nothing had come of it. She felt that she had been left almost abandoned, without explanation or comfort. This was all the evidence of what had happened that was left. The ruins of this tower that once reached unstoppably towards the heavens, now nothing but rubble scattered across the earth.

A gentle breeze of wind blew over her. As it did, a gentle whinnying carried across the wind to her ear.

The sound startled her. It was such an eerie yet soft sound, it made her shiver and look around. There was another noise. It sounded like... hooves? Looking for the source, she could see a clump of trees forty metres away. The trees were thick and dark; there was nothing she could see amongst them.  Yet she felt... watched? However no further noise came forth, and looking around it didn’t seem anyone else had heard anything. It must just have been her confused mind playing tricks on her. There was nothing of this world it could be. Or maybe there were things in the darkness of this new world best left alone...

It was time to leave. Mrs Sakamoto had been given a lift here by friends who were fortunate enough to still have a car, who had been good enough and patient enough to let her do what she needed to do. As she rejoined them in the car park another car, a large black thing with darkened windows, pulled up a short distance away from them. The group looked curiously at it as a four of smart looking people got out and started to make their way towards a viewing platform (in an effort to stop people trying to get into the ruins firsthand, the government had setup viewing platforms from afar to study them). As they walked off Mrs Sakamoto couldn’t think why, but one of the men looked familiar. Without her or her friends realising, she was starting after them, trying to get their attention.

“Excuse me? Hey, excuse me?”

The group ignored her, and she had to quicken her pace to catch up. She was right behind them; they must be able to hear her. Maybe they were deliberately ignoring her. After all, not many appreciated having their time here disturbed by others. She certainly didn’t. But this guy just looked so familiar. She caught up with him and pulled his arm. His eyes were hidden behind a pair of sunglasses, but his fierce lips behind the goatee beard suggested he was not best pleased. Still she persisted. She felt she had to. Something didn’t seem right. “Excuse me, my name is Sakamoto Kumiko. Um ... don’t I know you?”

The fierce looking man’s face froze as soon as she spoke, but he did not respond at first. There was a long pause from the fierce looking man, glaring down at her. She found it intimidating, but a strange reaction. Why had he reacted like that? Who was he? So both of them refused to relent.

“No” the man suddenly said bluntly, and turned away to join his waiting group of rather nervous looking individuals. “I don’t remember ever meeting you.”

And that was that. She must have been mistaken, or her confused mind was playing tricks on her here. Sighing, Mrs Sakamoto turned and rejoined her friends by the car, leaving the group to do whatever they needed to do as they made their way stealthily down towards the ruins, and unbeknownst to her leaving the man she was looking for unchallenged to hold account to his actions. But unwittingly she had given Murakami Baron, as he looked nervously over his shoulder like he had begun to do so much over the last year in a way he had never before, another reminder about the blood on his hands that he would never be able to wash, and another face to haunt and curse his darkened conscious forever.

In the early hours of the morning on the other side of the world, on a grey and drizzling sunrise over Warsaw, a public funeral was taking place. The cemetery was quite large yet overly full, for reasons that were poignant on this particular day. Far too many gravestones here bore very short dates. Two ravens cawed the dawn chorus in eerie fashion, as a stately looking hearse pulled up the gravel track at the foot of the hill, and overlooked by a very thin crowd the coffin bearers began to make their way to the final resting of the honorary doctorate Piotr Zielinski.

On a day like today, it was strange to think of a death unrelated to the events a year ago. However some aspects of life and death must always go on. There was nothing suspicious about Piotr’s. It was simply a case of at the age of sixty three, in a world where food and electricity had been rationed for much of the last year, and having to work endless hours in the redevelopment of his homeland as a senior consultant and chief of design on the behalf of his government and living alone and undergoing all the stress the lifestyle endured, Piotr’s body had simply succumbed to the ravages of time and illness. He had little family and friends left who would be able to attend his burial, but he had still lived a very good and important life with many notable achievements. One could certainly argue a case for him being amongst Poland’s greatest in the last hundred years, and so the state had recognised him as such with a public funeral. A few officials were in attendance, along with old students, work colleagues, and a few other admirers or locals who had turned up despite the early start and the ominous weather.

Not so notable and important to be getting this sort of treatment though, in his opinion. Certainly not enough for front page news, or reports on foreign media announcing the passing of ‘one of the greatest pioneers of artificial intelligence of our time’ as some papers had branded him. That was all for show. Money and favours had exchanged hands somewhere along the line for this to be made such a major international story. And there could only be one reason for that. Scanning the rest of the cemetery and surrounding areas through binoculars from his tower vantage point, the cloaked figure quickly picked out one trying to conceal himself behind a tree to the grave, two in an unmarked car round the back, more probably in buildings surrounding the cemetery. Waiting for him... stupidly.

‘Honestly, could you be any more by the book? Do you really think I’m gonna show up?’ Well, they had to try he guessed. And tried they had. A poor attempt that squandered the best chance he was ever going to give them, but still. He knew he certainly wouldn’t live with himself for not showing up and paying his respects, so everything had to be done carefully. He suspected the airports were monitoring everything, but it wasn’t difficult to get a plane into the Baltic countries and cross the border undetected on foot. It wasn’t like they had the resources to stop him. He had to keep a safe distance, which was regrettable, but it would have to do. At least he could be somewhat close at this time, as the ceremony began.

As the priest carried on, the man’s mind began to wander slightly. Being here and reconnecting with the past he was trying to expunge, he couldn’t help but wonder about some of the other people he was trying to put behind him. ‘I wonder how those guys are getting on back home?’ Some home now really; he could never return there nor would he want to. There was no good reason to. It would just be messy for everyone and his side of events would never come across. Annoyed with himself he tried to shake the thoughts, but they wouldn’t go. ‘I wonder if they’re finally happy together... Nah, probably killed each other by now more likely. Stupid idiot; should have known I’d never have hurt her if he’d called my bluff. Ah well, however crappy things ended between us, maybe it was for the best. They had to front up to each other at long last, and I got my freedom back for the first time in... I lost count of the years now.’

Older, happier memories flooded him, but slowly bitterness crept in to the happy scenes. Feeling edgy, he clasped the symbol hanging around his neck. ‘I hope they’re okay and are looking forward. And that they’ve forgotten about me. We all have to move on from the past. If I am viewed to have done wrong by God, then he’ll judge me. Til then, we must all move on and forge out a new path.’

The priest had closed his bible and was stepping down from his little podium along with the dispersing crowd; the ceremony was finishing. He would have to go soon, now, if he wanted to give himself the best chance of remaining undetected amongst the crowd. But still he lingered. No, he wouldn’t go. Not until he had done what was right. If he was caught in doing so, then he was caught. But he wouldn’t turn his back on his father. Not again. Not until the end, as the casket slowly began to lower into the earth.

‘Goodbye Papa. You did so much for me, and you never disowned me despite all the things I did. I’m sorry I let you down sometimes, and couldn’t live up to your expectations. I will miss you.’

Far away, Piotr’s coffin was lowered into the ground. The man crossed himself and kissed the symbol on his necklace, before turning away to make his long and stealthy way back out of city, cross back across the border, and leave his home country and all that remained of him here for the last time.

As the night drew in on a long day of remembrance and the people of Japan returned to the homes and loved ones they had left and move on to the next day ahead, an old bike rumbled through the suburb streets. This area of the city had been rebuilt fairly quickly; something the rider felt a pang of guilt about as he parked up in the garage of a home when so many were still living in shelter, but Hideo had been insistent on it. He had refused automatically, he didn’t deserve it, but the generously thankful fool wouldn’t hear of it. And anyway, looking at the other bike he’d parked beside, he shouldn’t make things harder than they needed to be; not when they still had their own rebuilding to do. Sighing and making his way through to the kitchen, he grabbed a juice from the fridge and put on a brave face.

“Hey, sorry I’m late” Daiki called, hearing the television was on in the lounge. “You been back long?”

“About ten minutes” was the reply. Sticking his head through, Natsumi was curled up on their battered old sofa watching the news on their old TV. Although the building itself was nice, their collection of material possessions built over the year as they tried to make their home was slow. She wrapped an arm around him as he sat beside her. “It’s been hard for you today.”

“No harder than for you or anyone else.” It hadn’t been a question, just a statement. The news was pretty one-track as it continued to show the events of today’s ceremonies. “I take it you heard Hideo resigned?”

“Not until I switched this on. Work was pretty busy. It’s going to be every day for some time, trying to rebuild and reprogram all the city’s computer mainframes and get it back to where it was. Poor guy though. He hasn’t had a minute to himself or Mai. The pent up grief must be so great.”

“I guess so. They deserve a break after what they’ve been through” Daiki replied brusquely. There was an awkward pause as they continued to sit and watch TV. Eventually Natsumi switched it off and leant against Dai, stroking his arm and looking up at him with a concerned expression.

“How are you coping?”

Daiki paused to sip from his juice. “... I’m fine, just tired... really busy day. It may be a national day off of remembrance, but not for some people. For some bastards it’s an open invitation to mug and burgle. Not that I can really blame some people now. Everyone’s still pretty desperate, anyone...”

“Don’t change the subject” Natsumi interrupted, squeezing his arm and glaring at him with those fearsome eyes of hers. “Come on, we agreed to be more open with each other. We agreed to talk and not shut each other out. How are you feeling?”

Natsumi seemed to have gotten the balance between being sympathetic and insistently firm right, he gave her that. “Okay, I’m not good. Just... today’s really made me wonder what happened to them more than ever. It’s made me feel even guiltier about not fighting with them. There must have been a way to help both them and you. Just... after everything, I miss them. Even if she was crazy and terrifying half the time, she was still a good person, and I hadn’t even began to learn anything about... I just wish I knew what happened most of all. Just knowing either way, then I might be able to know what to do or how to feel, instead of just feeling in a state of limbo all the time. Maybe...” Daiki broke off, then to Natsumi’s surprise suddenly hugged her very tightly, clinging on for dear life. “Sorry, I’m being selfish again.”

“Don’t be an idiot, you’re not. I couldn’t possibly expect you to not care about them. I care about them too; of course you feel like this. I respected her and some of what she was trying to do, and the poor girl was just caught up in everyone’s games and given no chance to live her own life.” Natsumi reciprocated and hugged Daiki briefly, before breaking off to stand up. “I’ve got an early start tomorrow. Are you coming with?”

“I’ll be with you in a few minutes. I’ll just finish this off.” Natsumi nodded and left the lounge, given Daiki chance to finish his drink, organise his work papers and have a stretch, before switching everything off and going upstairs to their rather sparse looking bedroom. Natsumi was already changed by this time and sitting up in bed when he came in, staring at a little black handheld gadget in her hands and looking rather confused. Daiki watched her for a second, certain he must have seen the thing she was holding and trying to place it in his memory as he used the en-suite. “What is it?”

“It’s a tele-card...” Natsumi replied slowly. Dai clicked his fingers in realisation; it wasn’t a gadget of Nat’s like he was trying to remember. A tele-card was the modern postcard that showed a video reel on a screen instead of a still photograph image, and displayed a private message on the reverse. Post was a rare occurrence anyway, never mind in this format. “Just found it on my way up...”

“Oh right. Surprised there are some left in circulation” Presumably that was what Natsumi was thinking. “Who do we know who’d send one of those anyway? What’s the message?”

“There isn’t one...” The slowness of her reply unsettled him. That was weird. Natsumi was transfixed by the video, unable to tear her eyes away. “It’s blank. Just got our names on, and a video of... Egypt...”

“Egypt...?”

His head went blank. Dai shot over to the bed and bumped into Natsumi in a mad scramble to get a look at the little black recorder. The video showed slow, slightly broken images of an old camera panning around various sights and attractions of the tourist regions of the country; the giveaway sphinx ruins, and the bustling market streets presumably of New Cairo. The images were so fragmented and grainy, but he couldn’t tear his eyes away from them, he was hypnotised by this message from on high and no amount of nudging from Natsumi could tear him away from it. The world outside of that market street ceased to exist for this moment. He could hear someone giggling in the background behind the camera...

“Dai...?”

Daiki wasn’t entirely aware he was rummaging through a broken bedside cabinet drawer one-handed, still spellbound by the recording, until Natsumi thumped him in the arm. The sudden ache snapped him out of it, slightly, but it only focused him more on his search. She watched in the same astonishment as he found and removed a small box from the drawer, containing his deck, and removed the top card. The gently glowing card entranced them both. “Daiki? This is... that is...?”

Daiki just sat next to her and stared at the card depicting the golden swordsman, before he slowly broke into a small smile. Then a nervous, jittery laugh. It had been a year since either of them had made any such noise. It was infectious. Because whatever this was, it was something positive. Natsumi couldn’t help but feel that. They had no way of knowing, but in a way they did know. They could feel it. Even without a recorded message in way of words, it was their sign.  Daiki could see something beyond that broken image, and she just knew everything was alright. She shouldn’t have doubted her for a second to begin with, either of them. Daiki wrapped an arm around her shoulders and she hugged him around the waist, as the video roll came to an end and went black, and the glow around the card faded away.

“This is... our hope...”

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Closing Credits]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6PDdhrwvWc

[/spoiler]

So this is the end then...

[spoiler='I'm gonna miss doing this'] So firstly congrats on getting it finished, especially after all the difficulties it's been giving you, and ow inadequate you've felt it's been compared to Armageddon.

So first off: I'm actually suprised that Sakura and Jin did actually die. I know I mean it seemed obvious, but still... it was an unexpected twist.

I was actually hoping that Baron was going to wind up as a random insane hobo on the street. But this seemed... kinda fair on him an unfair way. The fact that he has to carry on in his profession that will give him daily reminders of what he did seems just right. But I still want more.

As for Dai, Nat Clarissa and Kaneko. That was sweet if a tad cliched. I mean, the idea that rather than appearing directly it would just be Hope was good, but I probably could have guessed it was coming. The actual moments of grief were well written and suited in my view.

I feel weird writing so little which is the odd thing, and sorry if you wanted more. I'll leave that to Saber methinks.

As for leaving a little bit of it unanswered, like Garvan and exactly where Clarissa is, I think I can be happy with that. I mean if it answered everything, there'd be little excrement left. And I think this was right for the story frankly. Anymore would have been to much.

[/spoiler]

Well done man, it's been a long effort, and you deserve the good feeling that it being completed has provided.

OK, I promised you a full review after the last credits had been and gone, and by God I am going to give you one! I'm no professional, but I hope it gives you some insight about what went right and what went wrong.

[Spoiler=THE REVIEW]

1. The Story - One of the criteria that I can now use for this story, given the length of time I haven't been reading it, is how well I can remember the story. Generally the better I can remember it the better it was. A rough rule, but hey, I like it. Too many stories have I read where I cannot remember what went on about a month after putting it down, but this story I can remember. It had twists and turns, deaths and commupances, and a pretty good flow. Of course, there were parts that didn't follow, such as some of Murtagh's motivation and planning, and the inevitable role of the Horsemen, but you can't write a story without some plotholes. Well, not without someone prereading the entirety of the story - someone who isn't the author. My advice in future would be to clearly define what each character wants, and what they will do to achieve that. Its a standard story writing technique which shouldn't let you down, so long as you keep note of all the characters somewhere. That and some characters were just written out, like Izumi and the guy that dueled her. You said there was going to be an explanation of her motive for losing, even if it meant her death, but I don't remember such a thing. That said, you wrapped up the story pretty well in the last few chapters, and made a realistic flaw in the villains' plans that the heroes could exploit to save the day. That, and you didn't make everything hunky dory afterward, actually showing some realism about the whole end-of-the-world thing.

2. The Characters - You manage to do a good job of writing character, at least in my opinion. Every character is defined, so that there are few, if any, blank slate characters to act as whatever the author feels like at the time. You get across the balance of good and bad in most characters, like Baron, Clarissa, and Wilhelm. They are portrayed as being very human, as in, having both the desire to do right, but the emotions (or in Baron's case, his duty) that get on the way of making the right decision. Unfortunately, some characters are just bad for the sake of being bad. I mean, I can understand it for some people (Zabernacht, Murtagh sort of), but Asami has a failure of an excuse to be a psychopath, and you know it. The whole can't-have-children thing just made her character even worse, and as much as I liked her psychopathy some of the time, it got to the point where you tried to drop an excuse but it was too little, too late.

3. The Duels - This, for me, is one of the most important points. I mean, if you can't write duels well, you shouldn't write Yu-gi-oh fanfiction, or at least don't attempt to write duels if you know you suck. You, sir, do not suck. Quite the opposite, in fact. Your duels are pretty well motivated, seeing as this being Yu-gi-oh fic meant that most of the story would be decided by a children's card game. They are also well written (I have a lot of respect for people who can write duels without making up cards. It's not as easy as it looks!) despite you being somewhat lacking for Numbers at the end. It's a shame, cause with the advent of 42, 47, 53, 66 and the Over-Hundreds, you could have had a lot more fun. Damn Konami. There are the odd strange cards that don't really fit for some decks (I seem to remember Endless Decay in a Laval deck?), but you managed to keep them to a minimum, yet still keep the duels from being boring and formulaic.

To conclude, your story is good. Not amazing, cause I'm not gonna lie, there are problems. This is your second story, though. You can't expect to be the best, but you certainly are not the worst. By a long stretch, mon ami. You will always have my audience and my comments whenever you decide to write again, as you will with many of the other readers and commenters on this fic. You will always have our opinion on anything you write, and I hope you realise that, even when the number of comments is starting to get you down.

[/spoiler]

...Whew.

[spoiler=The actual last spoiler]

And so it ends...

Well, at you didn't kill off everyone. Not sure why Clarissa and Kaneko had to wait a year to send a message to Dai, but using Hope was probably the best way to do it. I suppose Clarissa can't really just wander around in Japan anymore...so yeah, good stuffs

The wrapping up with the other characters was good, although Garvan is still off somewhere doing something weird. I don't really have too much else to say, except to say, one more time, that this story is awesome. It was great to read, and it's sad it's over, but congrats on finishing it up. Good job :)

[/spoiler]

Gave it a little while so I could respond to several comments at once. Obviously that takes a little while around here for them to build up, but given the amount of time people have had to wait I guess it's not a surprise people have forgotten or stopped caring. I have.

So this is the end then...

[spoiler='I'm gonna miss doing this'] So firstly congrats on getting it finished, especially after all the difficulties it's been giving you, and ow inadequate you've felt it's been compared to Armageddon.

So first off: I'm actually suprised that Sakura and Jin did actually die. I know I mean it seemed obvious, but still... it was an unexpected twist.

I was actually hoping that Baron was going to wind up as a random insane hobo on the street. But this seemed... kinda fair on him an unfair way. The fact that he has to carry on in his profession that will give him daily reminders of what he did seems just right. But I still want more.

As for Dai, Nat Clarissa and Kaneko. That was sweet if a tad cliched. I mean, the idea that rather than appearing directly it would just be Hope was good, but I probably could have guessed it was coming. The actual moments of grief were well written and suited in my view.

I feel weird writing so little which is the odd thing, and sorry if you wanted more. I'll leave that to Saber methinks.

As for leaving a little bit of it unanswered, like Garvan and exactly where Clarissa is, I think I can be happy with that. I mean if it answered everything, there'd be little excrement left. And I think this was right for the story frankly. Anymore would have been to much.

[/spoiler]

Well done man, it's been a long effort, and you deserve the good feeling that it being completed has provided.

Thanks.

In the initial write-up, it was revealed that Baron had been dismissed on the quiet some time after the clear-up began, but still came (presumably still having followers on the inside). Also although Mrs Sakamoto doesn't know him by face, another person shouts at him and uses his name, throwing her into a rage at him after she had learned about his dismissal through research and calling him a murderer and stuff. But yeah, went with this after beta-reading. There was really no realistic way she'd ever find out.

You know where Clarissa is; she's in Eygpt. Or at least on holiday there (as she said she and Dai would, remember?) Also originally the chapter was for a long time planned to end with Clarissa and Kaneko, possibly with Kaneko kicking three Number users at once with NGEPD (had the duel scripted too) and then just being with her mum. But then when it came to actually writing Dai and Nat's bit it seemed a nice place to end. I guess less is more on this occasion.

But seriously, I'm gonna have to say: what good feeling? There is no feeling. While writing this I haven't felt in anyway emotional, happy sad or otherwise, during writing this chapter, reading it back, or even when thinking about what it means and stands for as a finale. And you all already know I'm a soppy bugger when I write death scenes and stuff so to feel nothing about this closing chapter, something can't be right. It's just..... not meant anything anymore...

OK, I promised you a full review after the last credits had been and gone, and by God I am going to give you one! I'm no professional, but I hope it gives you some insight about what went right and what went wrong.

[Spoiler=THE REVIEW]

1. The Story - One of the criteria that I can now use for this story, given the length of time I haven't been reading it, is how well I can remember the story. Generally the better I can remember it the better it was. A rough rule, but hey, I like it. Too many stories have I read where I cannot remember what went on about a month after putting it down, but this story I can remember. It had twists and turns, deaths and commupances, and a pretty good flow. Of course, there were parts that didn't follow, such as some of Murtagh's motivation and planning, and the inevitable role of the Horsemen, but you can't write a story without some plotholes. Well, not without someone prereading the entirety of the story - someone who isn't the author. My advice in future would be to clearly define what each character wants, and what they will do to achieve that. Its a standard story writing technique which shouldn't let you down, so long as you keep note of all the characters somewhere. That and some characters were just written out, like Izumi and the guy that dueled her. You said there was going to be an explanation of her motive for losing, even if it meant her death, but I don't remember such a thing. That said, you wrapped up the story pretty well in the last few chapters, and made a realistic flaw in the villains' plans that the heroes could exploit to save the day. That, and you didn't make everything hunky dory afterward, actually showing some realism about the whole end-of-the-world thing.

2. The Characters - You manage to do a good job of writing character, at least in my opinion. Every character is defined, so that there are few, if any, blank slate characters to act as whatever the author feels like at the time. You get across the balance of good and bad in most characters, like Baron, Clarissa, and Wilhelm. They are portrayed as being very human, as in, having both the desire to do right, but the emotions (or in Baron's case, his duty) that get on the way of making the right decision. Unfortunately, some characters are just bad for the sake of being bad. I mean, I can understand it for some people (Zabernacht, Murtagh sort of), but Asami has a failure of an excuse to be a psychopath, and you know it. The whole can't-have-children thing just made her character even worse, and as much as I liked her psychopathy some of the time, it got to the point where you tried to drop an excuse but it was too little, too late.

3. The Duels - This, for me, is one of the most important points. I mean, if you can't write duels well, you shouldn't write Yu-gi-oh fanfiction, or at least don't attempt to write duels if you know you suck. You, sir, do not suck. Quite the opposite, in fact. Your duels are pretty well motivated, seeing as this being Yu-gi-oh fic meant that most of the story would be decided by a children's card game. They are also well written (I have a lot of respect for people who can write duels without making up cards. It's not as easy as it looks!) despite you being somewhat lacking for Numbers at the end. It's a shame, cause with the advent of 42, 47, 53, 66 and the Over-Hundreds, you could have had a lot more fun. Damn Konami. There are the odd strange cards that don't really fit for some decks (I seem to remember Endless Decay in a Laval deck?), but you managed to keep them to a minimum, yet still keep the duels from being boring and formulaic.

To conclude, your story is good. Not amazing, cause I'm not gonna lie, there are problems. This is your second story, though. You can't expect to be the best, but you certainly are not the worst. By a long stretch, mon ami. You will always have my audience and my comments whenever you decide to write again, as you will with many of the other readers and commenters on this fic. You will always have our opinion on anything you write, and I hope you realise that, even when the number of comments is starting to get you down.

[/spoiler]

...Whew.

Thanks. This is how comments (although not neccessarily to this length) should be given in future when reviewing someone's fiction. Telling them what their strengths are and what they need to improve on, not the same copy and pasted 'good chapter can't wait for next' 48 times over. Okay this is finished and I don't really need the tips on improvement anymore, but it's nice and appreciated none the less.

Regarding some of your points: I make absolutely certain there are scars and consequences that linger because the anime doesn't, and it's why the show annoys me. "Yeah sorry about trying to take over/destroy the world, let's all be friends now okay?" is just insipid and unrealistic. You're right about Asami and that the 'I'm like I am because I can't have children' thing was cobbled together at the last minute rubbish, even I felt bad about that. She was just supposed to be Murtagh's super-bitch girlfriend, who is like she is simply because some people appear to be just born like that. One of the successes in my mind about this was how much better the duels were compared to Armageddon (which I can't remember if you've read...) and although there were a few I was never happy with either the fight or the way it played out (Dai vs Natsumi, both Murtagh vs Kaneko duels which were littered for errors, both turbo duels), there some I really liked (Daiki vs Laeviathan, Clarissa vs Sakura, Natsumi vs Gabriel, Daiki vs Asami, Clarissa and Sakura vs Yudai).

Yeah, I guess it's been alright. Or maybe a bit better than alright. All I can do now though really is point you in Armageddon's direction again if you haven't already read it, but... yeah... thanks.

[spoiler=The actual last spoiler]

And so it ends...

Well, at you didn't kill off everyone. Not sure why Clarissa and Kaneko had to wait a year to send a message to Dai, but using Hope was probably the best way to do it. I suppose Clarissa can't really just wander around in Japan anymore...so yeah, good stuffs

The wrapping up with the other characters was good, although Garvan is still off somewhere doing something weird. I don't really have too much else to say, except to say, one more time, that this story is awesome. It was great to read, and it's sad it's over, but congrats on finishing it up. Good job :)

[/spoiler]

Um... I dunno whether I didn't make this clear or it's just been misinterpreted by two people, but Hope didn't just appear out of nowhere. It's been in Dai's possession for the last year as a.... semi-regular I guess, card. Yeah, I should have put that it had been in his deck silent for a year to make it clear it hadn't just appeared there and then. It just responded with the tele-card, or Dai's emotions/realisation that they are out alive somewhere. As for the year thing... eh *shrugs* it is Clarissa after all, she's not exactly the most rational person. Best explanation is maybe waiting for the fuss to die down a bit before sending something that might reveal her whereabouts into a country where she's still wanted to Daiki, however veiled a message it was. But who ever knows with her?

He went to his dad's funeral, that's not that weird is it? :huh:

Thanks for sticking with it and for commenting regularly throughout.

*deep breath*

... I think now might be the right time and place to say something that probably won't be a great surprise to people. I think I should announce it here first, since this is where I've spent most of the last three years on this forum. This isn't the last chapter of YGO24...

.... this is the last thing I'm gonna write. Period. And it's also going to be my last contribution to this forum. I have my reasons, which will made public closer to the time, but not only is this thread going to be locked and left to the archives of history from next week, but I will be as well. In six days, I will be leaving YCM.

That's, kinda sad that you're leaving, though I'm happy you managed to finish the story, and at least you're going out well. For the story itself, I would have liked to see one last bit of Kaneko and Clarissa, but the way you did it worked well, even if it did seem like hope appeared out of nowhere. The part with Sakura's parents was very well done, I could sympathise with them over having lost their daughter and not having time to grieve for her. I didn't like the bit with Baron and Jin's mother though, cause realistically, there shouldn't be any way for her to have recognised him, but it does explain what happened to both of them so I can understand the way you did it. Congrats on finishing another story though, and I'll be sad to see you go.

That's ... that's a shame Bahamut. I would call you Matt, but online respect for a person I don't know dictates that I call you in the way I did. But as I say again, It is really sad that you are leaving YCM and that you plan to stop writing. And let me just ignore your story for a little while and give you some personal history. I have been part of this forum for more or less 4 years. I'm only a 4 star member, and my interactions with members are few and between, but regardless I have been here a long time (in my opinion at least) to see enough of YCM and what every section has to offer to the fullest. I have bounced between Realistic Cards, Card Contests, Creative Writing, General, and TCG General. In 4 years, this is the best story I have read in this crumbling section. I mean no offense to any writers, members, or administrations of this section of the forum; but the Creative Writing section is not what it used to be when I first became a member. Not only is the name different, but the activity has declined, as well as the quality in writing that one can actually find. When a piece of writing that is somewhat presentable is found, a higher-level member feels the need to take it apart with ferocious intensity.

At first I was appalled by such an action, but then I realized that is how this forum works. You put yourself out there, then your knowledge and persona is broken down, then it is up to you how you chose to rebuild. I've seen many of members lash out and get banned or forever leave this forum, then I see a few that manage to actually stand up for themselves and gain a permanent place (and respect) in this forum (Clairedestroyer is the only immediate member I have seen do that). My point still stands though: This is a truly amazing story, and you are  truly gifted writer. Your words have inspired me to improve my writing, and to write a story of my own. It's tough work, and the quality my not be up to the standards that your stories have set, but the fact that you can inspire somebody else by doing what you love is no small feat. You should hold your head up high with the brightest smile possible, because you have done something truly special: With relentless determination, you have conjured up two stories through the sweat, tears, and stress that have plagued you since it's beginning that will forever join the few stories in this section that can hold the title of being truly completed.

Canopy Star mentioned ways you could have improved your story in better ways then I ever could, however the ending is something that I must put my own thoughts into. I hate it. I hate it because now there will be no more of your writing for me to engulf and aspire towards. I love your ending because of the emotion put into it was able to translate to those you read, but still I hate it so much. I know I'm just some random 4-star member that you (nor anyone else for that matter) will truly have a memory of, but I still want you to know that you will be missed man, and I WILL catch up to your writing someday. Best of luck to you.

Archived