Nighttime Children (PG-13/Started/Accepting)

John A. Zoidberg

OOC: [url="http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/276681-nighttime-children-oocpg-13not-startedaccepting/page__pid__5829634#entry5829634"]http://forum.yugiohc...34#entry5829634[/url]

[color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Modern times are hell, that much is for sure. This city, though... this city is the worst of it all. Everyone calls it things such as Averine or "The Big City," (mostly because it's larger than most other modern cities) but only a few know what it really is. Literally, it's just an awful place to live. Figuratively, it's Hell, Hades, Underworld, the Nether- whatever you really prefer. However, the lines between literal and figurative have been a bit... blurred, if you will. For years we've tried to keep the children secret from everyone (for their own safety, of course), but the Riders won't have it.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]You see, a Nighttime Child is a rare (but fully possible) phenomenon caused through a Possession gone wrong. All demons from, well, wherever they come from, attempt to house themselves in every newborn child directly at birth. Obviously, this is to release itself into the city and wreak havoc. The majority of the time, the demon will be scared off, and the child will grow up normally. The minority of the time, the demon fully possesses the child, and causes utter chaos. The child usually must be killed to end this. However, very rarely, the demon will make a mistake when entering the child, forcing it into the body, but giving it no control. Thus, as the child gets older, the demon is housed with it. At young adulthood, the demon will make the child aware of something very important. Whenever the child is in trouble, he or she can release the demon temporarily. While the demon is released, the child's human body goes unconscious, and it gains control over the demon, which has some form of power or ability. That's why the Nighttime Children are dangerous, and kept hidden from society. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to keep them all hidden. There could be one anywhere you look- they appear no different than a normal human being. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]The Riders, however, want to be rid of Nighttime Children forever. Realistically, there's no way to do that, as it's a natural birth process. That doesn't stop the Riders, though. The Riders are essentially a large gang. They carry around big guns, ride on motorcycles, and other "tough guy" things. Each Rider's motorcycle has a special ability that will help them either catch a Child or kill one. Some of them kill the Nighttime Children with the knowledge that they must live with the guilt of murder forever, but they are supposedly bettering the world. Others take pleasure from the killing. Those are the dangerous ones.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]The Riders have a base near the center of Averine, and many outposts throughout (to keep order, essentially). They don't hide, they make their dominance over the Children known, and they want to be feared. If anything, they need it. Without fear, the Children would have control.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]However, anything can happen in a Hell like this, can't it?[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size][/font][/color]

(OOC: if any of this is confusing, remember- the NTC gets control over the demon's body after it is released.)

Zakkern paced the streets of Central Averine, hands in pocket, whistling. It was a cool Autumn evening. The sky turned to that familiar orange-purple color that makes people point to the sky and say "Oh, look how pretty!" Zakkern, on the other hand, barely acknowledged it. On the occasional night, he would give it a passing glance, maybe thinking, "damn fools," or maybe quietly laughing to himself with the knowledge that most people were oblivious to what he even was.
That didn't stop him, however, from whistling and moving on.
"My friend, I've been meaning to talk to you about something." Zakkern stopped as he heard the voice, slightly startled at first.
"Ah, Vieshkenchek," he said, "Yes, what is it?"
His demon stayed quiet for a moment. In that time, Zakkern heard footsteps and coughs. A few times he heard an engine.
"There's someone here," Vieshkenchek finally said, "You've heard it, haven't you?"
Zakkern laughed. "Why yes I have, old buddy! I'm sure that they think I'm just talking to myself right now, don't they?!"
At that, and engine revved, and a man on a motorcycle drove out into the street, pulling a gun out and aiming it at Zakkern's head. "Do you have anything to say before I send you and that demon back to wherever it is you came from?" the man said angrily, "Or should I just blow your brains onto the cement now? Your choice."
"Vieshkenchek," Zakkern said excitedly to his demon, "I've left my katana at home. Are you ready to come out and play?"
"Indeed, Zakkern, always ready!"
At that, there was a flash of immense darkness. Zakkern's body fell limp, and out came a demon, at least eight feet tall, wrapped in dull gray bandages, revealing only a single eye.
"Tell me, Rider," Zakkern said through Vieshkenchek's body, "Are you ready for me to decide your fate? Are you ready to face a true demon?"
The Rider stumbled backwards. "No! Please!" he yelled, "I... I never wanted to kill anybody. I just-"
Zakkern grabbed the Rider by the throat. Darkness flowed through his hands, sickening the man. "You should never have joined, then." Zakkern choked what life was left in the Rider out, and threw the corpse against the wall of a nearby building.
The demon entered Zakkern's body once more, and Zakkern stood up, brushed the dust off of his clothes, and walked on once more, still whistling.

Cirque was walking home from work. Or should I rather say, he was walking to him crappy apartment with high rent from his minimum waged job. There was a scarceness of people out at the moment, so he took this opportunity to converse with his friend, Adramelech.

[i][color=#B22222]I don't suppose you'd want to go to college, then?[/color][/i]

"No," Cirque responded to seemingly no one. "I mean, I'd love to, but I can't risk anyone finding out."

[i][color=#B22222]...Too late for that...[/color][/i]

Cirque stopped in his tracks. "What do you mean by that?"

[i][color=#B22222]Turn around.[/color][/i]

Cirque turned around. There was a motorcyclist down the street, approaching him at an alarming rate, with a blade held out. Cirque's first instinct was to run, which he did for a moment, but he knew he wouldn't be able to outrun a bike.

[i][color=#B22222]Let me out. I can defeat him. Nobody's out to see you.[/color][/i]

"...fine. If I must..." Suddenly, Cirque's body burst into flames, and quickly was replaced by a large metallic demon with a flaming tail and thin metal wings.

[i][color=#B22222]Destroy the bike. With luck, the Rider will be incapacitated as well.[/color][/i]

Cirque did as suggested, and threw a fireball at the front tire of the bike. It quickly burst, and the Rider was sent flying, then falling, then hitting the pavement, to be left unconscious. And just as fast Adramelech came out, he was replaced by Cirque again. Cirque has a look of fear on his face, and quickly ran home, hoping nobody saw him.

Zakkern arrived home, taking off his coat, and laying down on his couch. He then turned the TV on, the news came up.
"...in other news," said the reporter, "Another member of the infamous Riders was found dead just a few moments ago. He had multiple broken bones, cuts and gashes all over his body, and most astonishingly of all, a large patch of skin on his neck was black. It appears he had been choked to death, though there is no evidence as to who the murderer is. Our forensics teams suggests is was a random killer who was exceptionally good at covering up evidence. More on this story tomorrow."
Zakkern laughed and shut the TV off. Walking into his room, he picked up one of the large katanas resting against the wall. He gripped it with both hands and began to swing it in a manner of practice. Suddenly, however, there was a knock on his door. Running down, he opened it, and inside walked two police officers. One was a large man, facial hair and all. The other was the polar opposite- short, scrawny, weak. They both, however, struck fear into Zakkern's heart as he allowed them to enter his home.
"Son, we've received information regarding you," the one said, "Where were you two hours ago?"

Things were generally peaceful that day for Lucas. Or at least as peaceful as things can possibly be in this big city and a dog in your head that just argues with itself all the time. He was just doing what he normally did since the slaughter of his whole family and everybody else he's known his entire life; chillaxing on the roof of a building making sure he's out of sight of any douchy looking bikers that might want to try and kill him. There didn't appear to even be any bikers in the southeastern part of the city this day which was pretty much the cause of this temporary peace.

It was then that Luke heard a sound nearby. It sounded like fire and somebody's voice. He looked over the rooftop of the small apartment building he had picked to relax today and down into the street. He didn't actually see anything but something managed to catch his eyes and ears. The sounds appeared to be coming from an open window right below him. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out a TV was on. Luke was becoming bored of just simply laying around so he figured some TV wouldn't hurt. He lowered himself so that he could try and look into the window. He wasn't even close. Curiousity killed the cat as they say and in a moment he was hanging from the gutters of the building with his feet while gripping onto the window for support.

From where he was he was lucky enough to be able to see the TV across the room and the middle aged man that was sitting besides the window, completely ignorant to Lucas' existance only a foot away. On the TV there seemed to be a news report. It was showing a clip of a of what looked to be the parts of a motorcycle on fire and the unknown cirumstances behind it. The reporter then went to talking about a similar case just a little bit earlier to this one. "So that's why none of them are in this area today..." The middle aged man heard Lucas' voice and looked directly at him. The man immediatly began to yell and swear at the top of his lungs. The only thing that might not be censored is him yelling 'you stupid kid!'

The man was about to punch Luke but he unhooked his feet from the gutters and pushed himself away from the apartment building, avoiding the punch completely. The fall was a short one since the apartment building only even had two floors to it. A simple roll and he was already walking off to do whatever. Cerberus was yelling vulgar idea one after another (too much for me too post) for how they should spend their safe freetime but Lucas dismissed every one and just decided to walk to wherever until he got bored of this too.

"Come, sit," Zakkern said, leading them up to the room in which he'd previously been watching television, "C... Can I get you both something to drink...?"
"Um, water," the taller one said, fiddling with his mustache.
"The same for me, thanks," the shorter agreed.
Zakkern walked into his bedroom instead of the kitchen. Those officers didn't know the layout of his home. "What do I do?!" Zakkern whispered to Vieshkenchek frantically, "There's no way I can hide this! Someone probably saw me release you!"
Vieshkenchek sighed, "You know what you have to do, Zakkern."
"Do you mean I have to release you again?" Zakkern said fearfully.
"No, we can't risk being seen again. You know the risk of that," Vieshkenchek said, "You have to kill them yourself. Then we leave Central Averine. It's the only way possible."
Zakkern nodded and began to pack his things. All of his katanas (except for the one he was going to use to kill the cops) went into his suitcase, and he walked out to the officers. "I am truly sorry about this, I have nothing against either of you personally," Zakkern said, pulling the one unpacked katana from behind his back. He lunged and cut across the shorter cop's face, killing him instantly. The taller, however, pulled his gun.
"You bastard!" he yelled, "Drop that sword and come quietly! You're going away for a long time!"
Zakkern dropped the katana horizontally in front of him. "I don't think you wanna do this," Zakkern said, "You'll live if you leave now."
At that, the cop lowered his weapon. "What do y-" Zakkern kicked the katana up into his hand and threw it at the officer. The blade pierced his heart, sending a broken spurt of blood from his chest. Zakkern pulled the katana from the corpse and put it into his suitcase.
"So, where to now?" Zakkern said, walking out of his home.
"I say Northeast Averine," Vieshkenchek said, "You've never been there before. They won't be looking for you as carefully.

Cirque stopped running about five minutes ago. He wished that his apartment and his job weren't so far away. Hell, his place was almost back in Central Averine.

[i][color=#B22222]I am certain nobody saw you. You can relax, Cirque.[/color][/i]

"No I can't! I KILLED someone!" Cirque was almost whispering, even though the tone of his voice made it sound like he was yelling.

[i][color=#B22222]You didn't kill him, Cirque. You threw a small fireball at his front tire, did minimal damage to the bike and knocked the criminal unconscious. He barely caught a glimpse at your face, and will most likely be arrested anyways for having a sword in public. You'll be fine. You barely did anything.[/color][/i]

"I... I just..." Cirque was almost hyperventilating, but quickly regained himself when he turned a corner, because he saw a teenager with a suitcase walking in this direction.

Zakkern walked forward, seeing a man slightly older than himself pass by.
"Wait!" Vieshkenchek yelled to Zakkern, "Do you feel it?" Zakkern stood by, looking around. The other human stopped and stared as well. It was as though they both knew. "You do realize what he is, correct?" Vieshkenchek chuckled.
"Excuse me," Zakkern said, staring at the other, "I... I don't know how to say this..." Zakkern stood idly by once more, trying to collect his thoughts.
Vieshkenchek sighed, "Very well, I'll help you. Come out, Adramelech. Talk to me, we both know you're in there, you sneaking creature." Zakkern fainted, accidentally releasing Vieshkenchek. He gained consciousness of the demon, staring at Cirque. "Well?" he said, "My demon says that you have one housed as well. If that's true, show him to me. Let us be acquainted." Zakkern breathed heavily as silence overcame them, and they stood, impatiently waiting for Adramelech.

[i][color=#B22222]Wait...[/color][/i]

Cirque looked confusedly at the teenager who tried to talk to him, then nearly had a heart attack as he turned into another demon. Cirque was just about to run, when he could hear Adramelech's voice.

[i][color=#B22222]Be calm. He will not harm you. Let me out.[/color][/i]

Cirque was stiff for a moment, then let Adramelech out, the demonic armor encasing his body. Even with his demon out, Cirque's mind refused to move the body, let alone the mouth. In his stead, Adramelech spoke to Vieshkenchek.

[i][color=#B22222]Do not call me a creature, Vieshkenchek. What is it that you want? My human is not comfortable being in this form, and the last thing either of us need is for Riders to turn the corner and cause attention.[/color][/i]

(OOC: Not sure if I mentioned this or not, but NTCs can talk to demons that aren't their own, provided the demon allows them to.)

"Relax," Zakkern said through Vieshkenchek's body, "We're alike, you and I." Zakkern laughed and placed his shadowy hand on the body of Adramelech's body (which of course, he didn't feel, as it wasn't his to control). "You realize what this means, right?" Zakkern continued, still laughing a bit, "Our demons, they know each other. They've been acquainted! Isn't that right, Viesh?"
"Indeed," Vieshkenchek said, "I remember when they called you [i]God, [/i]Adramelech. Now look at you. I suppose it's fitting that of all of the fates you could possibly have received, this is the one you are forced to encumber. I trust, however, you've made good use of your human? Grown to enjoy his company, maybe? It would be a horrid way to live if not."
Zakkern took control back over his body, and watched as Cirque did the same.
"If you haven't figured it yet," Zakkern said, grinning, "My name is Zakkern. Zakk, if you prefer." Zakkern grunted and cracked his knuckles, looking at the older one, who stood fearful, as though he'd seen a ghost (or a demon, but you'd figure he's used to that). "Huh," Zakkern said, "You did it, didn't you? I've heard news of another Rider, in addition to the one I killed, of course, who was injured. I didn't listen in long enough to hear whether or not he'd lived, but from the sounds of it, that one's dead. Burned, actually. Your demon- what abilities does it have again? Perhaps something involving fire? Well, speak up!"
Zakkern chuckled once more and looked at Cirque, awaiting an answer,

"...I..." Cirque was still kind of shocked at meeting another Nighttime Child. The last one he met was... well, nevermind. Slowly, but surely, Cirque regained control of his senses. "My... I.. A-Andramelech has full control over fire. B-but I can't use his powers f-fully because his armor is made of metal... I just.. I didn't mean to kill that man... I thought I just knocked him unconscious..." As Cirque failed to make conversation or properly introduce himself, Adramelech spoke to the other demon.

[i][color=#b22222]Do not be so quick to consider me an acquaintance, Vieshkenchek. I may have been downcast, but I am not of your kin. ...As for Cirque, he is perhaps timid, but of good heart and decent mind. Probably one of the better humans to be caught in.[/color][/i]

[i][color=#b22222]At least, for me.[/color][/i]

(OOC: I'm gonna switch Vieshkenchek's voice to [color=#800080]purple [/color]for the sake of ease.)

[color=#800080]Ha! You say that, but you are as much of a demon as I! As any other! I remember the day you were cast down- it was glorious! To not be born one of us, but become one just the same! Why I've not enjoyed something as much as I did then ever again. Had you not been a demon, you would not control this one at all. As would I not control my friend Zakkern if I'd not been a demon. Do see the proof, Adramelech. Why, to deny it would be just ignorant.[/color]

Zakkern smiled, as he knew what was about to be said by his ever-so-witty demon.

[color=#800080]As ignorant as calling you God![/color]

Zakkern laughed aloud, falling on the ground from the hysterics. "Oh, Viesh! That's rich!" he stuttered. Zakkern, however, stood up once more, looking at Cirque again. "I do apologize for my demon," he said, still laughing slightly, "He can't really control just how funny he is!" At that, Zakkern started to laugh once more before pulling himself together. "Oh, I kid," he said, calm once more, "so tell me, Cirque, is it? What are the odds that you're walking around town after two Riders have recently been killed? Is it fate that has brought us together on this [i]lovely [/i]evening, or am I just a lucky bastard to meet someone like you here, now?"

Cirque was somewhat insulted that Zakkern laughed at Vieshkenchek's insulting remark, but let it aside. Adramelech wasn't so forgiving to Viesh.

[i][color=#b22222]You repugnant beast. I would strike you where you stand were things different.[/color][/i]

Of course, Adramelech didn't say that out loud, but Cirque did flinch at his friend's sudden outburst. Cirque sighed awkwardly, and finally began to speak. "I... wouldn't know what to call this meeting, I suppose. Perhaps it [i]was[/i] just luck. I... I ought to leave, it's getting late, and I can't afford to raise suspicion." Cirque took a step in the direction of his home. "I guess I'll see you soon? Good bye..." Cirque then picked up pace to the apartment.

On the North-West side of Averine. That horrible, hollow and wicked place that very few people contently lived in, riders were in high concentration. With a fair amount of support from the local inhabitants, often referring to the Nighttime Children as 'Vile beasts' they would help where ever possible.

Across a strip saturated in crimson sunset, Jax Runner and his gang of riders were on patrol as usual. Jax was of course at the front of the pack, the alpha-male, 'The King', he was not a modest fellow and thrived off killing Nighttime children. But alas, North West Averine was empty tonight. They rarely left the vicinity of this area. But just this once Jax felt rather ambitious and decided to investigate the North-East side tonight. He simply commandeered his squad with a rudimentary hand gesture and they knew exactly where they were going, as the sunset strip gradually started to dim...

"I'm sure you will!" Zakkern yelled down the road to the somewhat-fleeing Cirque, "Everyone comes back eventually, you know!" Zakkern spun around one, then sat against the nearby building, sighing and stretching. "So what kind of plan do you think I should have?" he said to Veish, "I mean, being homeless is an option, but it would be so uncomfortable. What type of scene would you prefer? Maybe block off a section of the sewers to house in? Raid an apartment? Maybe make a fort somewhere like childhood? Oh, the options are endless!"

[color=#800080]You're not treating this with enough care, you know. There are police forces hunting you down as we speak. You're wanted for three counts of murder, and whatever else they charge you with. I think you should try a less illegal method, lest you and I be forced to spend the rest of your lifetime in a prison cell. Of course, I can deal with another sixty years of life before returning home, but I'd rather you not be that uncomfortable. Especially when there's such power to be wasted.[/color]

"You know," Zakkern teased, "You're plain awful at giving advice. Just say it. Where would you be most comfortable living?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Faust sat in his home, flickering the ice of his fingers into the air. He hadn't seen Zevelub at all in the years since he'd given his soul. Now, he was 'the all powerful Faust,' though all that meant was he didn't need to summon that accursed creature in order to gain from its abilities. Oh, and of course, he could not die through aging. He, however, saw that as an utter burden as the days passed by. Despite being free from his appearance, Faust was not rid of Zevelub as a whole. He was still pestered on a day to day basis.

[color=#00FFFF]Oh Faust! I'm bored! Show me some of those little icicle tricks that you have now! They'll help pass the time until you're cut down by some Rider and I can finally go free![/color]

"Shut up, you vile creature," Faust said, "You knew very well that it could take very long for me to die. Don't think that I enjoy having you here any more than you enjoy being here. The only benefit is that I don't have to see your twisted little face."

[color=#00FFFF]Bold words, you old fool! To be fair, I was hoping that you're newfound power would overwhelm someone that you couldn't help, you'd be overcome with grief and just hang yourself or something. You always were a kind old man, were you not![/color]

"I am no man, Zevelub," Faust said, sighing, "I am less human than you are holy."

[color=#00FFFF]Tell me, Faust. How long do you think it will be until you die?[/color]

"If it is up to me," Faust said, freezing a random object on the table before him, "I will not die. I will stay alive with the satisfaction that you will never be free."

Archived