A Discussion on Game Mechanics...CF Vanguard.

I'm still relatively new to the game, but I'm not new to TCGs. I usually find myself thinking of ways to make the game better and more enjoyable to the players. In YGO we usually do this by discussing the ban list...but since we dont have that in CF (to my knowledge at least) lets discuss the game mechanics.

Keep in mind this is just a fun discussion, and all opinions are to be respected.

[b]Trigger System[/b]: I honestly dont like this system...IMO is very sacky and takes away skill from the game. Think about it....you net advantage (an extra draw, extra damage, healing or an extra atk) just be flipping over a "drive check".....also getting "crit killed" is just stupid. Another point i'd like to point out is that it restricts deck building by automatically taking away 16 card options from the player. I honestly think the game would be better with out it.

[b]Counter Blast: [/b]I understand that Bushi Road wanted to create a completely unique game....but to me a system that encourages you to take damage just so you can use your effects is a bit stupid. To make it worst...we still have that awful Trigger System and we run the risk of being "crit killed" just because we are forced to take damage just so we can actually do stuff. IMO a mana system similar to Duel Masters or Magic, along with Soul Blasting, Soul Charging and CF's other cost systems would have been fine.

So these are my two main issues with the game...don't get me wrong I like the game and I enjoying learning how to play. These are just some ways I think the game can be better.

Discuss and give your own opinion.

To me, CFV isn't nearly as serious a game as yugioh and the like. It becomes much more of a luck-fest by sheer design and when you know its aim is basically luck then it becomes more of an enjoyable occurrence. And this is coming from the guy with likely the single worst luck at CFV.

So yeah, I like the systems because it's unique and maintains some skill while allowing for a much more casual game, even at its most competitive.

[quote name='Chris' timestamp='1341697199' post='5969742']
To me, CFV isn't nearly as serious a game as yugioh and the like. It becomes much more of a luck-fest by sheer design and when you know its aim is basically luck then it becomes more of an enjoyable occurrence. And this is coming from the guy with likely the single worst luck at CFV.

So yeah, I like the systems because it's unique and maintains some skill while allowing for a much more casual game, even at its most competitive.
[/quote]

I would disagree with you on the worst luck thing....since I would usually draw most or my triggers 2 out of ever 3 games I play.

Since the game in still "new" I dont take it seriously and I just play for fun with the few people I know who actually play....but I would still like a game to be based on skill. The game in flawed by design...and seeing as how US players tend to take games way too seriously...getting sacked is going to be a problem if they want the game to really take off State side. Which seems to be the case because I hear whispers of regionals starting soon.

[quote name='Le Magician' timestamp='1341698253' post='5969768']
I would disagree with you on the worst luck thing....since I would usually draw most or my triggers 2 out of ever 3 games I play.
Since the game in still "new" I dont take it seriously and I just play for fun with the few people I know who actually play....but I would still like a game to be based on skill. The game in flawed by design...and seeing as how US players tend to take games way too seriously...getting sacked is going to be a problem if they want the game to really take off State side. Which seems to be the case because I hear whispers of regionals starting soon.
[/quote]

Simply put, I draw pretty much all of my triggers about 3 out of 3 games. Naturally checking every useless card possible. :D

I'm just glad that the people I generally play with understand that it's a very, very luck-based game then.

[quote name='Le Magician' timestamp='1341698253' post='5969768']
[/quote]

Whispers? Regionals start in September, dude.

Also, the game is perfectly fine for what it is. It promotes a lot of skill to prevent you from being sacked and gives every deck a fear factor. The game may be flawed by design, but it makes up for it by giving every deck the necessary tools to deal with being sacked.

Also, not to lie or anything... But this seems as if this thread was made only because you got sacked by someone. j/s

[quote name='Le Magician' timestamp='1341696902' post='5969737'][b]Counter Blast: [/b]I understand that Bushi Road wanted to create a completely unique game....but to me a system that encourages you to take damage just so you can use your effects is a bit stupid. To make it worst...we still have that awful Trigger System and we run the risk of being "crit killed" just because we are forced to take damage just so we can actually do stuff. IMO a mana system similar to Duel Masters or Magic, along with Soul Blasting, Soul Charging and CF's other cost systems would have been fine.
[/quote]

I have problems with this bit.

See, taking damage is nice for your Counter Blasts and all, but always remember that taking that extra hit can always spell game for you when you're just not doing it right, unless you're one sacky son of a b****. Limit Break!! in mind and all, bringing yourself that close begs you to get crit sacked as soon as possible (or lose your hand), moreso when the game is creating more 20-21K columns faster than you can reproduce, all while decks are being equipped with 8 crits as a bit of a standard now.

Hmm.

Hard for me to fully explain something I've already had experience with, but whatever. You could probably get my point.

[quote name='Circus Freak' timestamp='1341698522' post='5969773']
Whispers? Regionals start in September, dude.

Also, the game is perfectly fine for what it is. It promotes a lot of skill to prevent you from being sacked and gives every deck a fear factor. The game may be flawed by design, but it makes up for it by giving every deck the necessary tools to deal with being sacked.

Also, not to lie or anything... But this seems as if this thread was made only because you got sacked by someone. j/s
[/quote]

It goes both ways...I sack my friends, they sack me....but since we're all really competitive....it usually ends with "you only won cuz you're a sack you scrub"

I mean I like the game and it is fun...but I just really have an issue with the trigger system.

Also thanks for the heads up on Regionals.

[quote name='Le Magician' timestamp='1341698905' post='5969786']
It goes both ways...I sack my friends, they sack me....but since we're all really competitive....it usually ends with "you only won cuz you're a sack you scrub"
[/quote]

That's just poor sportsmanship. And you usually only get sacked if you don't overguard when it is very appropriate to do so.

[quote name='Johnny Raptor' timestamp='1341698700' post='5969780']
I have problems with this bit.

See, taking damage is nice for your Counter Blasts and all, but always remember that taking that extra hit can always spell game for you when you're just not doing it right, unless you're one sacky son of a b****. Limit Break!! in mind and all, bringing yourself that close begs you to get crit sacked as soon as possible (or lose your hand), moreso when the game is creating more 20-21K columns faster than you can reproduce, all while decks are being equipped with 8 crits as a bit of a standard now.

Hmm.

Hard for me to fully explain something I've already had experience with, but whatever. You could probably get my point.
[/quote]

I see your point and I agree...Limit Break is cool and all...but it created a big power creep in the game while encouraging you to leave yourself open to being crit sacked.

It's not so much a power-creep, but more that players are being stupid and letting themselves hit 4 too soon while the difference in damage between themselves and their opponent is huge, or let themselves hit even /5/ too soon in the game. /Those/ are the kinds of players being terrible, and thinking that it's a good thing to do all that for the sake of Counter Blasts (when you shouldn't be wasting them so willy-nilly either).

Though I failed to respond to the triggers bit since I already know it adds luck into the skill factor of the game, It honestly adds excitement to the game. The unpredictability of the game's next turn of events is usually a fun idea, although that's just the way I personally feel about Triggers. Arguably, it's the same as when your opponent just so happens to rip an out to your field, or (Duel Masters) when your opponent reveals a Shield Trigger, or (Battle Spirits) when your opponent happens to drop a really good Burst Spirit on you.

*Shrug*

I haven't minded or thought about the luck-factor, since playing this game means you've accepted it and choose to stop giving two shits.

The trigger system is the adrenaline rush of the game in my opinion. Its sacky luck factor makes it pretty much impossible to rage quit because there is always hope for a heal trigger. At the same time I've been in situations where skill can completely overtake luck regardless of triggers. The luck factor is only frustrating when it is clear you are more skilled than your opponent and the fates have just decided that the gap in your skill level should be supplemented with trigger sacking. if its a genuinely close match then the triggers just turn the tides and I find that pretty refreshing.

I never thought of the counterblast system as something that encourages damage taking. I thought of it as a silver lining for taking damage. I mean take 6 damage and you loose and most people usually let the first two attacks go through there so that's 2 damage already accounted for. As mentioned before the real test of skill is whether to guard or not.

Archived