[raiN] 'Imagine' PSD and layer descriptions.

I'm 'labeling' the layers here because I want to, and it's easier than labeling them in CS5 anyways.

General walkthrough on my most recent piece. I thought I'd do something beneficial for once in my life.

[img]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/Distant-Designs/IMAGINE.png[/img]

Layer 1: Obviously the stock/render/background you want to begin with. I chose a stock as I find stocks easier to work with.

Layer 2: I used a soft brush to put some black over the extra light sources, as I didn't need them for my concept.

Layer 3: This was added later for lighting purposes. The purpose of this layer was just to dim some spots on the upper portion of the focal's head and some spots in the sky. Again, just using a soft black brush. I then lowered the opacity. You don't want to strong of a difference, just a subtle one.

Layer 4: Again, another lighting layer added later. The purpose of this layer was to change the color of the light hitting the focal. Since he no longer had an orangish/yellowish light shining down on him in the original stock, but rather a blue sky, I felt it blended better and had better depth to make it a lighter color. No need to match the colors directly, more like the shade.

Layer 5: This right here is where I created the base of the clip mask. I used the polygonal lasso tool to select the area I wanted to change, and then just filled in the selection with a base color. Pen tool works just as well.

Layer 6: I used a video game stock of a dogfight in the sky since it fit pretty nicely with what I had envisioned. Really, the tricky part is figuring out which part of the stock fit best.

Layer 7 & 8: I found some renders of some vehicles/explosions I could use to give it an even more intense feel. I generally erased some of the edges and parts of the renders so they could be better blended with the smoke/clouds. For this, I found it best to just use a soft brush eraser, smaller in size works best. Whatever your preference is.

Layer 9 & 10: Trashed concept layers. I just didn't bother deleting them. lolol

Layer 11: I took some abstract c4ds and filled them with black, then positioned them to wear it almost looked like they were growing around him. I didn't want them to be overpowering or too prominent, but noticed.

Layer 12: A space fractal that gives it that mysterious/imaginative feel. Again, needing it to be subtle. Almost like dust particles.

Layer 13 & 14: More fractals, that imaginative feeling again. Although I know I overdid it, well used fractals can give such a smooth effect.

The next five layers were adjustment layers that I used to enhance the lighting, mood, and color of the piece. Well used curves and color balance layers especially can really make a piece.

The rest are just a text layer, a BnW layer, and some sharpening. That's it. A simple, conceptual piece.

PSD: [url="http://www.mediafire.com/?gnx31446ax73cyn"]http://www.mediafire.com/?gnx31446ax73cyn[/url]

I relatively love you for this, much respect friend.
[s]I'm not just commending you because you never do s*** around here.[/s]
I'll check out the .psd and guide soon enough, really helpful from the looks of it though.

Archived