New Card Game Concept: Warzone: Kings of Valor - Rules

Strider Tigerwolf

So after some thought, I think I’ve developed not an “entirely” new game but a different one none the less. Those who are familiar with Yu-Gi-Oh!. Cardfight!! VANGUARD, Magic: The Gathering, you guys will find some of the concepts very familiar with a few twists here and there. So let’s get started!
First off is the 3 main ways to win.[list]
[*]Bring your opponent’s Life Points to 0.
[*]When your opponent has 10 Cards in their Damage Pile and cannot activate any effects that would reduce that amount (like Heal Triggers in CFV).
[*]Deck Out.
[/list]
Now onto the rules:[list=1]
[*]Main Deck limit is a minimum of 60 cards, maximum of 85 (still working on stuff), 3 “Area/Loaction” Cards [They go outside the Main Deck and I will explain in detail later on], and a 25 card Side Deck for the Main Deck as well as 2 “Area/Location” cards. [Extra Deck does not exist…atm]
[*]Both Players begin with 8 cards in their hand.
[*]First Turn player cannot declare an attack.
[*]Both players start off with 2500 Life Points.
[/list]
Those are the foremost starting rules. Now onto the play field.
You have 3 Rows (picture Yu-Gi-Oh! Mats for this)[list]
[*]Row 1 (Monster Zone in yugioh) is where “Class 1” creatures are to be played.
[*]Row 2 (Spell/Trap Zone in yugioh) is where “Class 2” creatures are to be played.
[*]Row 3 (Picture another Zone like the ones above) is where “Class 3” creatures are to be played.
[/list]
I will discuss “Class Number” importance later on. In each of these rows, there are no specific “Monster Zones” because there is no limit to the number of creatures you can have at a time (Like in Magic: The Gathering), but there is 1 Specific “Area/Location” Zone on each of the rows.
On your Left Hand Side of the mat, you have 2 Zones: The Damage Pile Zone, and the Exiled Zone (similar to Banished in yugioh, except as a Zone).[list]
[*]Damage Pile Zone is nearly the exact same as in CFV, excluding for the 10 Card rule I’ve stated.
[*]Exiled Zone is nearly the exact same as in Yu-Gi-Oh!’s Banished Zone, except there’s a Zone on the play field.
[/list]
On your Right Hand Side, you have your Deck Zone and your Discard Pile. These are pretty self-explanatory.
Now lets go into the “Phases of the Day” which is basically the standard “Phases” of a card game.

[b]Start of Game: Play your 3 "Area/Location" Cards, 1 in each of your Class Rows. Now, shake hands, and begin![/b]

[size=5][b]Phase 1 – Wake Phase[/b][/size][list]
[*]Draw 1 card from your Deck.
[*]Monsters recover any damage they were dealt from the previous turn (though there are exceptions).
[/list]
[size=5][b]Phase 2 – Recruitment Phase[/b][/size][list]
[*]You can either recruit up to 3 “Degree 0-1” creatures from your hand to the field, up to 2 if they are “Degree 2-3” OR only 1 if that creature is “Degree 4+” (So far, highest Degree is 6, but that can change).
[*]You can activate Spells or Traps, your opponent can respond to your card effects.
[/list]
[size=5][b]Phase 3 – War Phase[/b][/size]

You can only attack in certain manners. The first is to declare an attack on a monster itself. The second is to “Attack Directly”. Just like in Yu-Gi-Oh!, Battle Damage is taken from monsters who battle each other, or from direct attacks. Now let’s go through the rules. “Class 1” creatures are “Short-Range”, so they can only attack Class 1 and 2 monsters respectively, but “Class 3” cannot be attacked by them. “Class 2” creatures are “Mid-Range”, so they can attack Class 1, 2 and 3 respectively. Last but not least, “Class 3” creatures can attack Class 1, 2, 3 and even directly respectively. This sounds unfair? You’ll see why they can attack in such a way soon. Creatures have 2 ways to be placed: “Guarding” or “Battling”. Think of these terms as “Defense Mode” and “Attack Mode”. These are the only two ways of placing a creature normally, and they must be face-up. (There will be creatures who can be set, but they’ll be more specific and I’ll show why when I release a few cards). So onto the battles themselves.

[b]Battling vs. Battling.[/b][list]
[*]Creatures have 2 stats: Strength / Resilience. This is similar to how Magic the Gathering’s battle phase works. A creature’s strength is dealt to their Resilience. ALSO You cannot attack your own monsters, normally.
[*]While they are Battling vs. Battling (Attack Mode vs. Attack Mode), if both monster have their resilience reduced to 0 (exactly), they are destroyed and no Battle Damage is dealt.
[*]If one of the creatures reduces the other to 0 (exactly) and the other does not, the creature who had their resilience reduced to 0 is destroyed, and no Battle Damage is dealt. However, the surviving creature keeps that damage until your next Wake Phase where it will recover it's damage. Example: 200 / 300 Creature vs. 200 / 200 Creature. Both deal 200 damage to each other's resilience. One of the creatures is destroyed (200-200=0), but the other lives (300-200=100). It can block up to 100 more damage, before it is destroyed or only needs 100 damage to be destroyed. If it survives to your next Wake Phase, it's resilience is reset to 300.
[*]If one of the creatures reduces the resilience of the other creature beyond 0, the difference is dealt as Battle Damage to the controller of the destroyed creature.
[*]If both monster have their resilience reduced beyond 0, both players take Battle Damage equal to the difference, repectively.
[/list]
[b]Battling vs. Guarding[/b]
[list]
[*]While they are Battling vs. Guarding (Attack Mode vs. Defense Mode), if both monster have their resilience reduced to 0 (exactly), only the Battling Creature is destroyed and the Guarding Creature lives.
[*]If the “Battling” Creature reduces the resilience of the “Guarding” Creature beyond 0, the Guarding creature is destroyed, but no Battle Damage is dealt.
[*]Battling Direct Attack
[*]You can declare a Direct Attack only if the monster is able to (Class 3 monsters) OR if there are no monsters to stop a direct attack (Class 1/Class 2). If your opponent has monsters, they can “Block” a direct attack by redirecting the attack to a monster(s) they choose. This concept is the same as Magic: The Gathering.
[*]Damage
[*]If it’s exactly 450 damage or lower, it is reduced from the player’s Life Points. If damage is exactly 500 or higher, the player places 1 Damage Card (top card from their Deck) to their Damage Pile for every 500 damage. So if I deal 750 damage to the opponent, my opponent takes 1 Damage Card, and 250 Battle/Effect damage to their Life Points. 1000 = 2 Damage Cards, etc, etc.
[/list]
Card Effects – Certain cards, Spells, Traps, Monster effects can be activated during almost any time of the Battle, but the rulings for battle would be nearly the same as Yugioh. As the game progresses rulings will pop up.

[b]War Phase Steps[/b]:[list=1]
[*]Declaration Step – Player declares he entered the War Phase (Battle Phase), Spell/Traps/Other effects can be activated at this time.
[*]Battle Step – Exactly the same as in yugioh, except the player announces either a monster target or a direct attack.
[*]Damage Step – Again, very similar to yugioh, if not exactly the same.
[*]End of Combat – This is where battles have been concluded. Card effects may activate at this time.
[/list]
[size=5][b]Phase 4 – Return Phase[/b][/size]

Your creatures have fought, many are tired and exhausted and have taken damage. Damage does not recover until your next turn, so be weary of your opponent’s counterattack. Almost exactly the same as the Recruitment Phase, except if you used all the Summons available during your Recruitment Phase, you cannot Summon by normal means during this phase.

[size=5][b]Phase 5 – Night Phase[/b][/size]

This is the key point of the game that keeps a decent gameplay:[list]
[*]Draw 1 card from your Deck.
[*]Other Card effects can take place at this time.
[/list]
Basically, You draw 1 during the Wake Phase, and 1 during Night Phase.

Both Players keep battling until either side has won. I will keep doing more updates in a bit and I will have a batch of cards in another thread soon.

[size=4][b]Deck Set UP[/b][/size]

[size=4]Decks have to follow the following format.[/size][list]
[*][size=4]Minimum number of cards allowed in your Main Deck is 60, Maximum 85. 3 Starting Area/Location Cards, 2 Separate from your Side Deck.[/size]
[*][size=4]MAX number of copies allowed in both your Main Deck and Side Deck is 4. [/size]
[*][size=4]You are allowed only 5 "Class Master" cards both in your Main Deck and Side Deck.[/size]
[/list]
[size=4][b][size=5]Further Battle Rules[/size][/b][/size]

Class has a big impact on the way monsters battle. The only ones who bypass this rule are known as "Class Masters" which are able to battle any given creature on the "map" as well as have other key abilities.

So lets go through the set ups:

[b]Class 1 vs. Class 1[/b] - [u][i]Close-Range combat. Follow the normal rules stated above in "Battling vs. Battling" or "Battling vs. Guarding", whichever is appropriate.[/i][/u]
[b]Class 1 vs. Class 2[/b] - Close->Mid-Range combat. Class 2 ALWAYS deals damage to Class 1 first. Think of this as a form of "Priority" with attacking. Class 1 creatures cannot reach Class 2 creatures UNLESS there are no Class 1 creatures on your opponent's side of the map.
[b]Class 1 vs. Class 3[/b] - Close->Long-Range combat. Class 3 ALWAYS deals damage to Class 1 first. Class 1 creatures cannot reach Class 3 creatures UNLESS there are no Class 1 or Class 2 creatures on your opponent's side of the map.

[b]Class 2 vs. Class 1[/b] - Mid->Close Range combat. Class 2 ALWAYS deals damage to Class 1 first. Class 2 creatures can reach Class 1 or Class 2 creatures, but can be intercepted by "Rule of Range".
[b]Class 2 vs. Class 2[/b] - [u][i]Mid-Range combat. Follow the normal rules stated above in "Battling vs. Battling" or "Battling vs. Guarding", whichever is appropriate.[/i][/u]
[b]Class 2 vs. Class 3[/b] - Mid->Long Range combat. Class 3 ALWAYS deals damage to Class 2 first. Class 2 creatures cannot reach Class 3 creatures UNLESS there are no Class 1 or Class 2 creatures on your opponent's side of the map.

[b]Class 3 vs. Class 1[/b] - Long->Close Range combat. Class 3 ALWAYS deals damage to Class 1 first. Class 3 creatures can reach Class 1, Class 2, Class 3 and even declare Direct Attacks, but their attacks can be intercepted by "Rule of Range".
[b]Class 3 vs. Class 2[/b] - Long->Mid range combat. Class 3 ALWAYS deals damage to Class 2 first. Again, Class 3 creatures can reach Class 1, Class 2, Class 3 and even declare Direct Attacks, but their attacks can be intercepted by "Rule of Range".
[b]Class 3 vs. Class 3[/b] - [u][i]Long-Range combat. Follow the normal rules stated above in "Battling vs. Battling" or "Battling vs. Guarding", whichever is appropriate.[/i][/u]

[b]RULE OF RANGE[/b]: When attacking, the opponent can "intercept" an attack in the following form:

Class 1 (if any monsters)
Class 2 (if any monsters)
Class 3 (if any monsters)
Successful Direct Attack.

If an opponent declares an attack, the first creatures able to intercept the attack are Class 1 creatures followed by Class 2, then Class 3. The player that is able to intercept is given the choice of who he will intercept an attack with. However, I cannot follow the Rule of Range if my opponent is attacking my lowest intercepting creatures. Here are some examples:

Opponent has Class 1 creature [600/450], Class 2 creature [300/300], and a Class 3 creature [150/150], all in Battling Position.

I have a Class 1 creature [400/650] Guarding Position,a Class 2 creature [250/350] Battling Position, and a Class 3 creature [150/50] Battling Position.

My opponent enters the War Phase and chooses who to attack with. He chooses his Class 3 creature as the first attacking creature, and declares a "Direct Attack". I now follow the "Rule of Range". I choose not to block with my Class 1 or Class 2 creatures, but intercept with my Class 3 creature. Both of our Class 3 monsters battle. [150-150=0 (Opponent's monster is destroyed) | 50-150= (-)100 (my creature is destroyed and I take 100 Battle Damage)].

My opponent declares a second attack. His Class 1 creature vs. my Class 1 creature. I cannot follow Rule of Range since he's attacking the first range. [450-400=50 (Opponent's creature survives with 50 Resilience left) | 650-600=50 (my creature survives with 50 Resilience left)].

My opponent declares a third attack. His Class 2 creature vs. my Class 1 creature. I cannot follow Rule of Range since he's attacking the first range. Battle rules follow, his Class 2 creature deals damage to my monster first. [50-300= (-)250 (my creature is destroyed, but because he was Guarding, no Battle Damage takes place)].

Opponent ends his turn with his Class 1 creature holding only 50 Resilience left, and a healthy Class 2 creature while I only have my Class 2 creature.

[quote name='-Griffin' timestamp='1348782857' post='6033459']
Designing a game without messaging me directly? I'm wounded. =[
[/quote]

I'm not really aware here I guess, can I ask why?

And to Chance...what are the odds, first time I talk to you is for that contest, and now I see this. Absolutely brilliant! Very creative with mixing aspects of various games, and incorporating your own elements as well. I'm designing a game myself, inspired by the forgotten Falsebound Kingdom and Duelists Of The Roses, two epic YGO games. Would either of you be interested in hearing about it?

[quote name='Heimdall The Watcher' timestamp='1348802632' post='6033642']

And to Chance...what are the odds, first time I talk to you is for that contest, and now I see this. Absolutely brilliant! Very creative with mixing aspects of various games, and incorporating your own elements as well. I'm designing a game myself, inspired by the forgotten Falsebound Kingdom and Duelists Of The Roses, two epic YGO games. Would either of you be interested in hearing about it?
[/quote]

I've got the design-values topic stickied, always comment relating to design value, and make it quite obvious that game design is my #1 hobby.

[quote name='-Griffin' timestamp='1348782857' post='6033459']
Designing a game without messaging me directly? I'm wounded. =[

Anyway. Do you have a messenger to talk this over on? MSN, Skype, YIM, Steam, ect?
[/quote]

I'm sorry D: and afraid not. Skype and MSM aren't allowed here or are "disabled" in the library...

[quote name='Heimdall The Watcher' timestamp='1348802632' post='6033642']

[/quote]

I'd like to hear about it, but it'd have to be posted in a different thread all it's own :)

[quote name='-Griffin' timestamp='1348817866' post='6033711']
I've got the design-values topic stickied, always comment relating to design value, and make it quite obvious that game design is my #1 hobby.
[/quote]

So then what's you're current opinion on this?

Archived