Butterspies

Aristomachos

I'm new to Cardmaker, so I may not be experienced with this. On topic: As everyone knows the Butterspy archetype wasn't completed, so I decided to add a few more support and monsters to this archetype. I'm not fully finished, but I hope I reach standards of a good cardmaker.

Also, since these are already a real life archetype, I won't take credit even though it is left unfinished by Konami. I made them from researching butterflies and their names are also based on different species. So, without further ado, here are my "fake" Butterspy cards (along with Morpho, Swallowtail, Ulysses, Papillon and Butterflyoke).

[spoiler=Monsters]Morpho Butterspy: LV4, DARK, Warrior/Effect, ATK/1200 DEF/1600
Effect: Once per turn, when the battle position of an opponent’s monster(s) is changed (except during the Damage Step): You can target one of those monsters; it loses 1000 ATK and DEF.

Swallowtail Butterspy: LV4, DARK, Warrior/Effect, ATK/1800 DEF/1200
Effect: When another monster you control inflicts Battle Damage to your opponent: Target 1 face up monster your opponent controls; it loses ATK equal to the Battle Damage inflicted.

Ulysses Butterspy: LV4, LIGHT, Warrior/Effect, ATK/0 DEF/1700
Effect: When a monster is Normal Summoned in face up Attack Position on your side of the field: You can Special Summon this card in face up Attack Position (from your hand).

Julis Butterspy: LV4, WIND, Warrior/Effect, ATK/1500 DEF/1500
Effect: When this card battles with an opponent’s monster: You can decrease the ATK of the opponent’s monster by 500 until the end of the Damage Step.

Admiral Butterspy: LV4, FIRE, Warrior/Effect, ATK/1600 DEF/1000
Effect: When the battle position of an opponent’s monster is changed, the controller of that card takes 500 points of damage.

Saturne Butterspy: LV4, LIGHT, Warrior/Effect, ATK/1300 DEF/1400
Effect: When this card is Special Summoned: You can decrease the ATK or DEF of 1 monster on the field by 700.

Desolant Butterspy: LV4, DARK, Warrior/Effect, ATK/1700 DEF/1000
Effect: When a monster is Special Summoned in face up Attack Position on your side of the field: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower monster from your Graveyard.

Tortshell Butterspy: LV4, EARTH, Warrior/Effect, ATK/1000 DEF/1600
Effect: During your Main Phase: You can discard this card to activate 1 of the following effects:
-Change the battle position of 1 monster on the field or, Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower monster from the Graveyard.

Moonlit Papillon: LV4, LIGHT, Insect/Effect, ATK/1200 DEF/1600
Effect: When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower “Butterspy” monster from your deck.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Spells]Butterfly Dance: Spell, Normal
Effect: Activate only when you control a face up “Butterspy” monster: Change the battle position of 1 monster your opponent controls.

Wing Scales: Spell, Equip
Effect: Equip only to a face up “Butterspy” monster on the field: If this card attacks; decrease the ATK or DEF of the monster this card conducts battle with by 400.

Polyphenism: Spell, Continuous
Effect: As long as this card remains card remains face up on the field: You take no damage from effects involving “Butterspy” monsters.

Fragrant Consistency: Spell, Normal
Effect: Activate only when you control a face up “Butterspy” monster: Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower “Butterspy” monster from your hand, deck or Graveyard in face up attack position. The Summoned monster cannot attack this turn.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Traps]Butterflyoke: Trap, Normal
Effect: When an opponent's monster declares an attack: Target the attacking monster; change that target to Defense Position, and if you do, equip this card to that monster. Once per turn, during either player's Main Phase or Battle Phase: You can change the equipped monster's Battle Position.

Mimicry: Trap, Counter
Effect: Activate only when an opponent’s monster attacks a face up “Butterspy” monster you control: Change the target to another “Butterspy” monster you control, and if you do, decrease the attacking monster’s ATK equal to the number of “Butterspy” monsters you control x200.[/spoiler]

First thing: Welcome to the forum. You're posting in the right section already. Nice work.

Second thing: Butterspies. *fangasms*

Julis: Effect on its own only lets it take down monsters with 1900 ATK, so Rai-Oh, Chain, Emeral and a few other moderate targets, but still a bit weak.

Admiral: Anime effect for an anime archtype, so I guess it works. Good name and attribute to match.

Saturne: Again solid if unspectacular.

Desolant: Combined with Ulyssus as they are this is nuts. Given it has quite competant stats and how easily almost any deck can special summon you can easily spam off it. It's not even once per turn, so you could very easily get two Hopes/Pearls/etc with 3 cards. Needs toning down.

Tortshell: Splashable in everything for 3 extra reborns, and combined with Desolant again. Idea is decent but again needs toning down.

Dance: I'd run this over Enemy Controller why?

Scales and Polyphenism (great name btw) are similarly largely redundant.

Fragrance: Something Butterspies need; and is fine. Just think being able to select from deck[b] or[/b] graveyard is a bit too convenient. Go one or other. (I always say that about about any custom card that says special summon from anywhere).

Mimicry: Again kinda doesn't do enough.

Overall there's not that much that really makes Butterspies more viable, other than 1 or 2 cards that are too powerful. Positives are the Ideas are nice and consistent with Butterspies theme, and the research put into them should be commended.

My first reply: Thanks you so much for commenting on my first try! Yeah, I kind of felt that they weren't "realistic" to the card game due to most of their effects and redundancy. I might try to rework on them and make their effects more solid and nice, instead of too weak or too powerful.

Also, I really hope the archetype is given more support and monsters in the future as they are very unique, so I decided to do some justice.

Archived