Sam Battery: "Road of the Tachyongalaxy" makes me nervous...

Stan Alda

I know [i]Road of the Tachyongalaxy [/i]won't be released in the OCG until Feburary 2013, but cards like "Stardust Dragon" and "Lightning Plover" are already decent WINDs. I have a hunch [i]RotT [/i]will have more high-caliber monsters, so I've developed a countermeasure against existing high-power WINDs. This is a work-in-progress, so fire away with comments.

[b][i]Sam Battery[/i][/b]
WIND
Level 3
Thunder/Effect
This monster cannot be Normal Summoned in Attack Position. When your opponent Special Summons a Level 7 or higher or Rank 4 or higher WIND monster from their hand or Extra Deck; Banish that card and flip this monster to face-up Attack Position. This monster cannot be returned to the hand or Deck while it is in face-down Defense Position.
1200/1500

[quote name='newhat' timestamp='1352877576' post='6069106']
Aside from the fact that this is a monster, there's already a simpler countermeasure to WIND Special Summons: [url="http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Poisonous_Winds"]Poisonous Winds[/url].

Why is this a Flip Effect?
[/quote]I was wondering the same thing when I first read this. It doesn't really work, since you can't flip it when they SS something.

[quote name='- Neo -' timestamp='1352897358' post='6069231']
There's no way to re-tool it without taking out the surprise factor, and that makes it bad because the opponent would just summon something weaker to bait this card's effect or remove it by other means.
[/quote]
Maybe I'll change it to react to said monster's effect rather than a Summon. Right now, that's all I can think of.

[quote name='Maxxion' timestamp='1352897754' post='6069234']
Perhaps doing it from hand sort of like an Effect Veiler would keep that element of "surprise" to this card.
[/quote]
It might work if it stops summoning (my first effect), but if it activated in response to an effect, it'd just be a very specific Effect Veiler. I think the problem I had with the initial design was that it would be set, then activate its Flip Effect when your opponent Summoned, like Man-Eater Bug. I had forgotten that Flip Effects can't be activated in response to a Summon. I don't think "Sam Battery"'s effect is broken, but its activating condition. Of course, it would lose its "flavor" if made a Quick-Play Spell or Trap (the simplest option).

[quote name='Stan Alda' timestamp='1352898312' post='6069239']
It might work if it stops summoning (my first effect), but if it activated in response to an effect, it'd just be a very specific Effect Veiler. I think the problem I had with the initial design was that it would be set, then activate its Flip Effect when your opponent Summoned, like Man-Eater Bug. I had forgotten that Flip Effects can't be activated in response to a Summon. I don't think "Sam Battery"'s effect is broken, but its activating condition. Of course, it would lose its "flavor" if made a Quick-Play Spell or Trap (the simplest option).
[/quote]Very good points. I honestly don't see another way that you could keep the surprise of the card any other way, however.

Archived