Holo sheets. Suggestions appreciated.

Egnio

Alright. I was trying to make some of those holo sheets, and I must admit, I'm not happy with my results. I like how they look, but when I try to put them over a card, I just don't feel that they work. I'd like some suggestions, if it's possible (first attempt at making holos, on photoshop)

holo1oi1.jpg

holo2vk4.jpg

holo3na2.jpg

holo4km7.jpg

holo5bx6.jpg

holo6gu3.jpg

holo7sh7.jpg

holo8hi7.jpg

All of them fail as 'holo sheets'

they are patterns

Holo sheets work and look in a different way' date=' only true Holo sheets give good realistic effects.

[/quote']

Yeah... and how exactly does "true holo sheets give good realistic effects"? I mean, I'm asking for suggestions. Just knowing they're not really holo sheets is not a suggestion. It's more of a fact. If you can help me, I'd appreciate it.

You need facts, as this title says 'holo sheets'

and later you mentioned 'at making holos'

Thus, one would assume these are Holo sheets, when they are not, you should change the title too 'attempted Holo sheets', or 'Holo patterns'.

And i did give you advice 'Only true holo sheets give good effects'

Find and use and alter existing true Holo sheets, nothing else works the same.

Well, I did say I tried to, DJO. If these are not holos, then they're not. But I still say, your advice isn't advice. 'Only true holo sheets give good effects'. What effects? If you mentioned what effects they give, it would be advice. There's lots of stuff that can give good effects, and for many stuff. What are the good effects you're talking about?

First of all, LAY OFF THE GLOWING EDGES! Mmk. Now. Right, now, try using Filters --> Stylize --> Diffuse. Also see if you can try using lens flares, that might work. You'll just need to experiment. If you find something, and it looks vaguely like a holo sheet, remember it, and use it again. If something looks nothing like a holo sheet, stop using it. ^_^

Well' date=' I did say I tried to, DJO. If these are not holos, then they're not. But I still say, your advice isn't advice. 'Only true holo sheets give good effects'. What effects? If you mentioned what effects they give, it would be advice. There's lots of stuff that can give good effects, and for many stuff. What are the good effects you're talking about?

[/quote']

I still have to work that out. xP

They give Real Holo looking effects' date=' thats obvious, as if they look like Holo's on real cards.

What other effects would they give?

[/quote']

And what effects do real cards give? :P

Because I'm sure it's a special type of paper, which is impossible to represent fully on a computer?

They give Real Holo looking effects' date=' thats obvious, as if they look like Holo's on real cards.

What other effects would they give?

[/quote']

Duh. It's called Holo for a reason. How do you think it can be represented on a computer? What tools are used? How? Why can't these make holo, but others can? Is it only shiny? If it's only shiny, would putting a white square over it and reducing it's transparency considered holo? Should a holo only b white and black? Those holos give an effect of levels or relief?

That's what I'm asking.

Look please. PLEASE no more attempts and random patterns that dont even come CLOSE to holo's. These are things called patterns. I will repeat what I have said to many others: "A holo is to make something look shiny" This is not even close to making it look shiny. I have made many holo's and I know what they are as does DJ Osiris who knows much more than any of us except for Cybernetic Dragon who is basically his equal. They are both the best holo masters on this site and are much better than you. If they give you advice then good for you. Take it and use it it will do you good.

Look please. PLEASE no more attempts and random patterns that dont even come CLOSE to holo's. These are things called patterns. I will repeat what I have said to many others: "A holo is to make something look shiny" This is not even close to making it look shiny. I have made many holo's and I know what they are as does DJ Osiris who knows much more than any of us except for Cybernetic Dragon who is basically his equal. They are both the best holo masters on this site and are much better than you. If they give you advice then good for you. Take it and use it it will do you good.

No. We need to fully understand holos in order to do them. So explain. What is the different between these and holos? Define, in a way that can be represented graphically, "shiny".

Also, Dj completely owns Cybernetic Dragon at holo making.

Its all common knowledge, as long as you have no visionary problems, it should come to you in an instant

Compare the Diagonal Holo sheet of which i made using the one Ashje provided.

Compare it to the first image on this thread.

You can clearly see 1 gives a more illuminating effect, while the other looks like a myspace background or a common wallpaper.

When it comes down to it, if you want to give true Holo effects for your card, do not attempt to make your own sheets from scratch, it is a hard process.

It is alot easier to find existing ones and customise them.

That way you know your image outcome will have some official Holo properties, which is needed for the realism.

And to answer the shiny question.

Shiny is something that shines, that is common knowledge, in this sense, tis something which looks shiny compared to bland and flatness

Again, compare an official holo image and an image from here, 1 is more shiny from the other.

Official Holo sheets are sometimes ripped from scanned cards themselves, thus you know its gonna look good.

PLEASE no more attempts and random patterns that dont even come CLOSE to holo's

Way to discourage new artists. It's easier/faster to learn from mistakes than aiming for perfection from the start.

As for holos, does this look holo-enough? (Not real attempt (Duh). Just trying to see if this actually fits on what you call a holo)

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/7996/shinylolrb0.jpg

Archived