Broken Stars [ IC / PG-16 / Not Currently Accepting / Co-hosted by Kyng ]

Astolfo

Cael, who had made a hasty exit after insuring the rest of his friends had done so (including Toilet who busted the walls with a supersonic shout and jumping off another soldier's face), watched as the Doctor was trying to figure out the toxins of the Theristian slime, but was doubtful that it would work. Many had tried before to best the chemicals, but none had succeeded. Ever. Even an antidote for other similar toxins might hold it off slightly, but there would be no relief against the deadly onslaught, as it works to destroy and eat away at its host.

Watching Creed detour into the damaged room nearby, Cael sighed as he watched him decimate the small grouping of soldiers that were making their way to the battle. Leaving with the rest of the team, not wanting to see more death, he only heard a faint sound of the unforgettable sound of a neck being snapped.

As Creed made his way back, the Doctor had taken a hypodermic filled with what Cael assumed to be some helpful antidotes or similar, and proceeded to attempt to inject Creed with it. Sublimating his arm though, the syringe failed to inject its contents. The next part caught Cael's attention, as Creed visibly became upset, pointing a rather sharp stick at the Doctor. Toilet, who dropped from one of the branches from a nearby tree followed suit, getting angry at Creed. Watching carefully, Cael analyzed the situation, and if need be, got ready to split the two apart. She didn't seem to notice the pulsing black veins, which were probably the cause of his fragile temper though. Further threatening him, she made quite a detailed statement on how he would suffer if he kept on with his "tantrums", according to her.

Thankfully enough, Daena - who Cael respected for her abilities to help things move smoothly, as well as having destroyed the Theristes - spoke some reason into Creed. Sublimating away, he proceeded to pull out a pack of cigarettes - which Cael disapproved of. What surprised Cael was the revealing of some of his past, and considering that, Cael could understand his apprehensiveness. However, he didn't agree with the last part. The toxin is known, but there isn't any more knowledge except for the plain fact that it does exist. With such an unpredictable factor like that, who knows what could happen? Further ranting about how he only joined to destroy Rebirth, for the desire of revenge, Cael sighed. He perfectly understood, but revenge wouldn't help. It would only taint the person who so desired it.

Cael just noticed Vana, who was observing Creed with her typical child-like innocence that was such a relief to Cael, in contrast to the much more serious situations at hand. Daena, who also started to get into a rather unpleasant mood, retorted about the fact how there was no guarantee it would be helpful enough to outweigh the inevitable deadly costs that would follow. The anger following back over to the Doctor in the form of sarcasm, mentioning the trust - or rather, the lack of it - in the team.

As the Doctor pulled out a rather interesting contraption, Cael watched closely, as a liquid streamed through into Sirius, before coming back into the tube. Instantly understanding that it was supposed to trap the poisons or the similar, he frowned when it didn't seem to do that much. "Guess that's to be expected with a toxin as deadly as that…"

Handing a pill to Vana, he continued with his lecture. Speaking clearly about his thoughts, he made sure that Creed would understand what the toxins would cost him. Getting angry about his backstory, he further made sure that the swordsman would understand that he wouldn't accept his job prevented from being done. Instantly, Cael tensed as he saw a hand move to the gun, but relaxed again slightly when the Doctor seemed to calm down enough.

Mentioning how that everyone should get back to Luciano's, as well as eat up, Toilet said the drinks would be on her, but pointed out how Cael, Daena, and Vana were too young, Cael felt a buzz of irritation. "Out of all the things, we're hassling about drinks? Tch."[/] Not arguing though, he listened in on Daena, and snorted as he heard her statement. [i]"Tch. Girls. If we mean it as immature, that's offensive. If we mean it as old, that's also offensive. Can guys win or something?"

Once everyone seemed to be out of meaningful words to say, Cael spoke up so everyone could hear. "We should get back to Luciano's. He's the one who assigned us the mission, and he would have a good need for the stuff we retrieved, and we might learn more about what we're up against. He might also know a bit more the Theristes, and how we might be able to help Creed and Sirius. Let's move."

[hr]

Cael and the group moved down the stairs of where Luciano's base was. The man himself was absent however, and Cael called out for him. A reply comes out from behind a door, asking for the password. "Luciano, open the f***ing door right now, unless you want me to blast it down with my new handy-dandy laser I built."

Opening the door, Luciano peered at them. "Oh, it's you Starfell again." Opening the door all the way, he asked Cael whether they had retrieved the dossier file, and grinned when it was a success. "However, Sirius, the swordsman among us, as well as Creed, the lavender-haired swordsman, is poisoned by the Theristian slime. Do you have any help?"

His face turning ashen, Luciano mumbled to himself, thinking. Quickly pressing a button on a headset he happened to be wearing, he barked a short question. "Permission to reveal and possibly induct new members into Sol Invictus?" After a short while, a reply was heard. Looking satisfied, Luciano motioned for the group to follow him down another flight of stairs. Unlocking a heavy-duty door, Luciano walked into the dark room. Flicking on the lights, they revealed a bare room except for a single door on the opposite side of the room.

"Now, Starfell. Assuming from your looks, you have all been through a lot. Don't worry though. You'll get to have a magnificent feast worthy of people who have achieved a feat such as yours, as well as attaining some well-earned rest. This is my best-kept secret. I would not reveal this to anyone, unless I had express permission from the top. The door previous would not open in truth actually, until someone at the HQs gave permission. This door however, is a rather special one. You could say that it is a… portal in a sense. However, it's nothing fancy like the stuff you'd imagine, with swirly lights and all. This is something that instantly connects two spots. Program a certain code - from a classified location - and then open the door, and it will instantly open to the area which the code matches. The codes of all areas switch every couple of minutes for maximum security. You are about to be shown a rather wonderful secret. We are… Sol Invictus."

[hr]

Chapter 6: Sol Invictus

Opening the door, a large hall could be seen, and from the perspective the Starfell could see, they were in a hallway off to the side. strangely enough, the view appeared slightly filmy and blurry, as if it were not completely clear. "The blur is to hide the location as well as essentially erase its location entirely until you decide to walk through it, which will then appear as if you appeared out of thin air. Thus, the usage of corridors and such." Clearing his throat, Luciano continued. "Now, Sol Invictus is as I said, our greatest kept secret. It means "Indomitable Sun" and it is the group of the rebels against Rebirth and his tyrannical rule. We presume that he had good intentions perhaps at the start, but as you know, absolute power corrupts absolutely. He is abusing that too much, and we are uprising. We of course know of the Theristian threat, and we are managing that as well. This, being such an important matter, requires some measures one might call ridiculous perhaps. Our sincere apologies, but you all have unbelievable power, and we do not need a second Rebirth. We all trust you mostly as of now, but what happens if you are tortured? Watch your close ones get the punishment instead, to inflict more pain? Repeated techniques to break and crush a person's resistance will destroy anyone with enough time. You all are not invincible, and that is the worry we hold. None of us will blame you if you do not want to take these measures. What we will need is a contract which will bind you to absolute silence on this matter except to people of Sol Invictus, and only certain ones for more classified matters. Of course, those among you who join our ranks will be able to freely discuss it with one another.  Also, no matter how much you may wish to rebel against this, the second one signs this contract, they will be bound permanently. The methods are classified, of course, however, I will say it is one from a much more ancient time, long before any modern things were invented. Nearly no knowledge exists of this anymore, and if there is a way to possibly break the contract, it is long forgotten. Don't worry though. Only matters regarding Sol Invictus will be prohibited. Also, if you are concerned people might be able to force prohibitions unwillingly, there is no need for worry. The contract decides all, and none can change that. Magic does not affect it, for it was from a time before Magic had existed, and something other had instead. Also, it cannot be forced upon you. Any duress or otherwise unpleasantry will restrict the contract from being signed. The only way we can obtain your secrecy is if you willingly obligate. Now. Are you willing to sign this contract? If you agree to this, proclaim the words that you wish to sign, and a contract will be teleported in front of the entrance of the door. To sign it, simply touch and write like you would with a pencil, but with your finger. The blood required for the signature will be painlessly extracted. No worries. After you sign it, go ahead and walk through the door, but I warn you, do not go any further without express permission. Waiting for your friends would be a wiser choice. The information you already have is touchy, but nothing too major. The only way to attain more will be to sign this contract. The door will prevent access until you sign it. Killing or otherwise threatening me will do nothing to gain you access. It will only achieve quite the opposite. Unfortunately, for the lavender-haired swordsman as well as Sirius, you will also have to agree to temporary confinement as we move you along. Sirius should be fine with this, and he appears to be rather out of it, so I'll do it for him, but you, purply. Are you alright with this? The confinement will be a set of handcuffs which will negate your nanite abilities as long as they are on, plus an additional mesh wrap of sorts which will prevent you from escaping, and can restrict you if need be. My sincere apologies, but the slime is a highly dangerous substance, and as such, we must treat it with care until we can remove it, or otherwise neutralize it." Directing the last few statements towards Creed, Luciano waited patiently for a reply. Motioning at the Starfell to go ahead, Luciano carefully observed the Starfell for any warning signs…

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daena stood in wonder as the revelations were piled upon her.  First the mysterious room, with a single door on the opposite side. Then, she learned of a secret resistance in a language Daena had no familiarity with.  "Sol Invictus"... The group was told it meant indomitable sun; she truly hoped it could live up to its namesake.  But it was the last one was what set off some bells.

Once Luciano was finished speaking about the contract, Daena immediately summoned it.  Or rather failed to summon it.

"I wish to buy."

"I wouldn't sign."

"My wish is mine."

Eventually, Daena said the correct phrase and the contract appeard... after about 10 failed summonings.  And yet, Daena did not sign yet, content with poking at it at from various angles. 

"You know, this is something pretty cool you've got your hands on," she finally said, still poking around at it.

• 2 weeks later...

"Heh, a unbreakable contract from a time older then magic huh? You sure find all the fun toys don't you? What kinda tomb did you have to desecrate to find this little treasure." Toliet stated as she summoned a copy of the contract. "So what all this magic doodad does is make me shut the **** up? Well that will be new for me I guess." Toliet said as she signed the contract. "Not exactly like you're terms actually stop me from leaving or anything, just talking about you, it's not exactly hard to workaround that **** if I really want outie. So go on, bedazzle me with your wonderful new secret base."

As Cael was carefully turning over what Luciano had said in his mind for any possible tricks or such, he noticed Daena peering at the contract. Toilet went up ahead and signed it, pointing out some of the loopholes in it, but Cael, having already noticed them, ignored her. Just then, he noticed something strange. Creed seemed to be trembling, and his veins were pulsating vividly against the skin in a startling black color. His breathing becoming labored, the skin started turning a dark black shade. Coughing violently, Cael was stunned as a large amount of blood spattered out. "Luciano! Creed's body is shutting down! Do something!" His face pale, Luciano shook his head. "No, I can't. He has to sign the contra-" Cael shouted at Luciano angrily. "DAMN THE CONTRACT! GET HIM THROUGH THE DOOR AND HEAL HIM!" Luciano pleaded though, explaining. "I'm sorry, but the door doesn't let anybody through until they've signed." Frustrated, Cael rushed up to the door, and he signed the contract himself, and he grabbed Creed. "Focus Creed!" His skin shiny with cold sweat, Creed struggled to stay upright, and Cael supported him.

It seemed like an eternity, but Creed had finally managed to sign it, and he rushed him through the golden door which seemed to be made of some sort of warm light. Luciano could be seen speaking desperately on the other side, and doctors rushed over to where they were, before carting Creed away to an urgent care room nearby. Cael was reluctant to let Creed go off by himself, but understanding that his R-Gen nanites can't fix that, and the doctors were probably better at this than he was, he walked back through the door, which now had blood smeared onto the strange non-existent, but existent solid surface. Wiping it off with a corner of a thin temporary cloak he had on, Cael slumped against an edge of the rock wall, breathing hard. Everything had just happened so quick. Motioning for the others to go ahead, he recollected his breath, before standing up to wait for his allies - and friends as well.

"Creed?!"

Daena turned around at Cael's cry, surprised at the sight.  Creed had held up so well until now, but it seemed that whatever that Therist infection was finally caught up with him.  Instinctively releasing her mist, Daena signed the contract then rushed to Creed's side alongside Cael.  The following moments were tense, but eventually, Creed was able to sign and the group rushed through the doorway.  Any fascination Daena had with the protective mechanism faded as the doctors took Creed into another room to begin their work.

That's.... two....  Creed... Sirius...

Once Daena calmed down a bit, she realized she was releasing mist.  Slightly embarrassed, she turned her ability off before turning to speak with Luciano.  "So now that we're here, could you tell us more about the Theristes?" Daena asked him, trying her best to stay calm.  She was still sweating from the previous events.  "It seems like the risk of infection is a real and immediate danger, so please... anything you know, I'd like to know."

Archived