Cardfight! Vanguard: A Tale of Three Shops {IC} [PG-13]

Justice Master

"Well, since Pietro's attack hit, I can now turn the damage flipped from Nightkid's Counterblast up again." As he spoke, Yuuichi did so before turning his attention back to the turn at hand. "And seeing as it'd be a waste not to attack...with Romario boosting, Spirit Exceed shall attack. Fantasy Shift Blade!"

The tall, proud figure of Spirit Exceed crossed its swords for a moment, only to swing them both out to the sides an instant later, as a wave of blue energy burst to life around the longsword, while a wreath of violet flame came to life around the katana. Leaping towards Blaster Blade, the undead swordsman swung the ghastly blades in unison, weaving a web of slashes and thrusts, all directed at the opposing Vanguard. [10000 + 8000= 18000 Power]

This...this was what Shio had been waiting for.

"Guard with Alabaster Owl! And Gallatin for intercept!" Shio declared, as he placed Alabaster Owl from his hand into the guardian circle, as well as Gallatin. (5000 + 10000 + 9000 = 24000) Now with this...Shio had to hope for the best. As long as he doesn't draw a trigger...I should be fine. C'mon guys....I need one more turn so I can bring out the king! he thought, being on the edge of his seat now. This fight making him become VERY intriguing to him.

Hand: 3

Field: Blaster Blade (V), Wingal Brave ®

Damage: 2

Drop Zone: 2

Guardian Circle: Alabaster Owl (From hand) & Gallatin (From intercept)

24000 Power? Darn it! With that amount of Power, Blaster Blade would be near untouchable for Spirit Exceed, unless Yuuichi somehow managed to pull two triggers in a row. "Twin Drive" he called. The first card wasn't a trigger, although it would prove useful. The second, as he saw when he flipped it over, wasn't a trigger either. Sighing, Yuuichi watched as Blaster Blade skillfully blocked each and every slash from Spirit Exceed before knocking back the mighty knight. "Well, that's that, I suppose. Turn end."

Hand: 5

Field: 3 (Vanguard, 1 front row rearguard, 1 back row rearguard)

A sigh of relief escaped Shio's mouth as he saw there were no triggers. "Talk about a close one. Gotta say, you are a great opponent, Yuuichi-san!" he said, drawing his next card. He grinned and was about to do something...but paused as he saw something from the window. "Oh boy...um one sec!" Shio said, as he quickly stood from his chair and jumped behind the counter (In an anime type fashion).

From outside, this man walked by the shop, looking through the windows. Unsatisfied and almost looking disgusted, he walked off.

Shio peeked out from behind the counter and let out another sigh. "Sorry about that, Yuuichi-san. It was someone I don't really care to see much..." he apologized as he sat back down, resuming the game. "As the battle carries on, the knight's mighty king descends! Lead your kingdom to victory! RIDE THE VANGUARD! Bow before your king! King of Knights, Alfred!" Shio said as he placed the card on top of Blaster Blade. "Unfortunately...I don't have a lot of damage to do a counter blast...OR call to rearguard..." he quickly said with a slight chuckle. "But since Wingal Brave is out, Alfred's skill activates! An extra 2000 power to him!"

Alfred Power

10000 + 2000 = 12000

"With this...the King of Knights attacks Spirit Exceed!"

Hand: 2

Field: King of Knights, Alfred (V), Wingal Brave ®

Drop Zone: 4

Despite knowing of the power held by the card Shio had just played, Yuuichi could only feel awed. "Alfred, huh? I thought I might be able to face him, but...it's still so cool to see him as last!" he exclaimed with a smile. The smile faded a moment later though, as he prepared himself for the inevitable attack.

To be perfectly honest, Yuuichi dithered about guarding this time. After all, if he guarded with only a single card, Shio could still overcome it with two triggers if he was lucky enough to get them. On the other hand, he didn't want to use up more than one card so he could still have resources for later. He could, of course, not guard at all, but some part of him just liked keeping his damage count low, if only because it meant he was slightly ahead. And while he did have a unit that utilized a Limit Break, it wasn't the most essential. 

In the end, he acted. After all, a friendly game was just that. Nothing hung on the balance and so he should just play how he felt like playing. "Guard! Rough Seas Banshee!" The golden haired apparition of the ghost appeared once more, but this time with her mouth open wide and letting loose a ghastly scream even as Spirit Exceed's power jumped in her presence. [10000 + 10000 = 20000 Power (Shield Boost)]

Hand: 4

Field: 3 (Vanguard, 1 front row rearguard, 1 back row rearguard)

"Checking the Twin Drive! First check!" Shio said, drawing the first card: Iseult. "Second check..." Second card he drew: Palamedes. He let out a small sigh and shrugged as the battle phase ended...no damage given. "Well...that could've gone over a lot better. Guess with that, its your turn Yuuichi-san!" Shio said, with a smile. With this next turn, I'll have to bring Palamedes to rearguard...that way it'll help attack...and bring Alfred's attack up. So if I can survive this turn...I'll be alright. he thought, gritting his teeth.

Seeing that Shio had drawn no triggers, Yuuichi sighed in relief. It was rare to have two triggers go off in a row, but he had seen it happen. That was in the past though, and it was time for the present. "Stand and draw," he declared, returning his units to their original positions and drawing a card. Samurai Spirit...huh, seems like I may have just gotten everything I need.

"You know," he remarked conversationally to Shio, "while I do like Spirit Exceed and all, it's just nowhere as awesome compared with this next Grade 3. And I'll show you what I mean right now." Holding the chosen card aloft, he closed his eyes before chanting, "Wicked sorcerer born of sin, O vengeful heretic clad in ice! Rise again into the land of the living and inspire terror in all who dare stand before you! Ride the Vanguard! Loose the chains of the dead once more! Ice Prison Necromancer, Cocytus!" 

With a low rumble that echoed all about the field on Cray, the vile necromancer rose to the field. Bony arms poked out of the arms of his robes, which were a dark blue in color. A cloak swung from his back, held together by what looked like the spiny teeth of a dragon. A large crown or headdress of archaic design stood atop his skull and a golden ring of some sort was clutched within his right hand. Throwing back his head, the reborn skeleton let out a spine-chilling laugh.

"The name Necromancer isn't just for show though," Yuuichi said. "When I place him on the Vanguard Circle, I can use this effect. By Counterblasting 2 cards," and here he flipped over the lone two cards in his damage zone, "I can call a Granblue card back from the drop zone. Remember that card I sent there with Captain Nightkid's effect? That's the one I'll return to the field. Come on back, Master Swordsman, Nightstorm!"

With another laugh, Cocytus raised his hand even as a portal opened next to him and the elaborately dressed figure of the vampire swordsman, Nightstorm rose out of it. The fine clothing seemed odd for a pirate; if anything, he looked like he might be some form of navy official. Still, his blade was razor sharp and he wielded it with a casual ease that spoke of long years of experience. 

"With that out of the way, I also Call Samurai Spirit!" True to its name, the warrior with the head of a crimson fireball was clad in the armor of Japan's feudal warrior, a katana in hand. Standing behind Pietro, the spirit gazed at the direction of Alfred.

"Now with all these cards in play, it's time to get serious. With Samurai Spirit boosting, I attack Alfred with Pietro!" For the third time, the skeletal chef charged forward, swinging his bony arm around in preparation for landing an assault on the Royal Paladin king. [9000 + 7000 = 16000 Power]

Field: 5 (Vanguard, 2 front row rearguards, 2 back row rearguards)

Shio glanced at his hand. Possible for him to use Iseult right now...but, Yuuichi had three other attacks...and he wanted to only work with having two actually hit him. So with a heavily had sigh, he shook his head. "No guard!" he said, letting the first attack go through. It pained him to just do it like this...but with not a lot of options left, Shio really didn't have a choice. He drew the top card of his deck looking for the damage trigger: Alabaster Owl. "Critical Trigger...if only I had it on my turn. I add the 5000 power to Alfred!" he said, placing his Owl in the damage zone.

Alfred Power

10000 + 5000 = 15000

Damage: 3

Yuuichi was happy about the attack going through, but his elation was somewhat short-lived when he saw that Shio had drawn a Trigger and thus boosted Alfred's Power. This'll be tricky to work with, but...

"Romario boosts. Take him down, Cocytus!" The wicked necromancer raised his hands and conjured up a massive lance of ice. Aiming it with a casual air, Cocytus flicked his hand and the weapon launched itself toward Alfred. Hopefully, a trigger will be forthcoming this time, Yuuichi thought as he waited for Shio to respond. [10000 + 8000= 18000 Power]

NOW! Shio thought as he pulled a card from his hand. "Iseult to guard! And I drop one card to the drop zone for perfect defense!" he said, dropping a card from his hand to the drop zone, then smirking as he put Iseult into the guardian's circle. So the Vanguard's attack is stopped...and with hoping he doesn't draw any triggers...I should be safe this turn...at least...I hope. This guy is truly a worthy opponent with these Granblue! I knew today was going to be great!!! Shio thought, with a smile on his face. Now if he could keep this attack off his back, and survive until next turn, both him and his Royal Paladins would be fine...and hopefully take this game.

Hand: 1

Drop Zone: 5

Guardian Circle: Iseult (Perfect Defense)

P-Perfect guard?! Yuuichi was somewhat annoyed by this development, but what was done was done. "Twin Drive, first check." A small smile returned to his face once he saw what it was. Knight Spirit. "Critical Trigger, get. I give all the effects to Nightstorm!" The sword master smirked in appreciation. The second check turned up a Gust Jinn, useful but no trigger. It was enough, though.

"Master Swordsman, Nightstorm! Attack Alfred! When Nightstorm attacks a Vanguard and I have a Granblue Vanguard, he gets an extra 2000 Power!" Twirling his sword once, Nightstorm flung his coat back and went on the offensive. An seemingly endless series of thrusts, jabs, and slashes flung themselves at the opposing Vanguard, while Nightstorm delivered them with a effortless grace. [ 10000 + 2000 + 5000 = 17000 Power (Trigger + Effect Boost), Critical 1 + 1 = 2 (Critical Trigger Boost)]

"N-No...guard." Shio sighed, as he took the double hit of Nightstorm. He took the first card: Margal...a draw trigger. That was three damage already, as he drew his next card. A smile appeared as he showed it to Yuuichi. "Elaine! A heal trigger! I heal one damage, so I'm only stuck at three damage!" Shio said, excited as he placed one of the damaged unit's in the Drop Zone.

CF!!V OST ~ Aichi's Theme

Now it was his turn...and he was going to make it count with this. "Stand and draw! I call Swordsman of Exploding Flames, Palamedes to rearguard!" Shio said, placing a card to the left of Alfred. "Now, Alfred counterblast! I can look through my deck and find a Grade 2 or lower Royal Paladin from my deck and call it!" He quickly flipped the three cards over in the damage zone and looked through his deck. "Superior Call! Blaster Blade! And now with that, Palamedes will attack. And his skill activates...since there is two Grade 3s out, him and Alfred, he gains a 3000 until the end of the battle!"

Palamedes Attack

10000+3000=13000

Field: Swordsman of Exploding Flames, Palamedes (R), King of Knights, Alfred (V), Wingal Brave ®, Blaster Blade (R)

Damage: 3 (Flipped for Alfred Counterblast)

Drop Zone: 7

Palamedes, huh? This could get rather tricky... Either way, Yuuichi decided not to waste any more guards just yet. Not until he could have eveything all geared up for the grand finale. "No guard!" he declared, watching as Palamedes's blade smashed into Cocytus. "Damage check." Yuuichi looked at the card and then held it up to his opponent. Ruin Shade, a Grade 2 and thus a far cry from a trigger. Placing the card into his damage zone, he steeled himself for the next attack. Goodness knows if Shio might somehow pull another trigger for the Twin Drive.

"Now...with three Royal Paladins on the field...Alfred's skill activates!" Shio said with a smile. "Alfred gets 2000 for each of them on the field! So 6000 in total!" This was going very well for him right now. Alfred's power raised even more, thanks to the combo he got with his counterblast and superior calling Blaster Blade. "Now, Alfred shall attack your Vanguard!" Shio declared, switching Alfred to the sideways to initiate the attack.

Alfred Attack Boost:

10000 + 6000 = 16000

Just as long as its a low guard...I should be fine. And if it isn't, I'm gonna have to leave it to chance for the Twin Drive! Shio thought, as he waited to see what Yuuichi would do.

Field: Swordsman of Exploding Flames, Palamedes ®, King of Knights, Alfred (V), Wingal Brave ®, Blaster Blade ®

At this point, Yuuichi decided to take a risk. It seemed unlikely that Shio could pull off double critical triggers. And to be honest, Yuuichi felt that he had been a bit careless in throwing out guards in the early game. Now however, he decided to keep his resources together for later use. Hopefully, he wasn't making a mistake that wouldn't cost him the game now. 

"No guard!" Yuuichi called once again. He'd made his choice. He just hoped it wasn't to be the last one he would make during this game.

"Twin Drive check! First...." Shio said, drawing the first card: Soul Saver Dragon. "And second check..." He drew the second card: Gallatin. "Well...that freakin sucks. But either way, that ends my turn, plus it adds to my hand!" he said with a chuckle, as he ended, seeing that he dealt another damage to Yuuichi. "Your turn Yuuichi-san!" He glanced back at his hand, thinking for a moment. Soul Saver Dragon...a pretty good Royal Paladin card...and if he could do it right, he could use this perfectly. At least...he'd hope that was how it was gonna happen.

Field: Swordsman of Exploding Flames, Palamedes ®, King of Knights, Alfred (V), Wingal Brave ®, Blaster Blade ®

The damage check turned up a Hook-wielding Zombie, a draw trigger. Thus Yuuichi drew once as Shio ended his turn, before he stood up his own units and drew again for his turn's normal draw. Knight Spirit, another trigger now without the chance to activate. Still, he could use this. "First off, I Ride another Ice Prison Necromancer, Cocytus!" A mirror image of Yuuichi's Vanguard appeared, and with it, a chance (or so Yuuichi saw it) at victory. "Since I called this second one to rearguard," Yuuichi said, "I can use his Counterblast once again, thanks to the two damage you kindly gave me last turn. With this turn, I'll revive Evil Shade behind my Vanguard. Of course, that means I have to bid a fond farewell to Romario." Romario tipped his hand to Yuuichi before vanishing, only to be replaced by the ebony faced pirate, Evil Shade.

"This is just the beginning though," Yuuichi warned with a smile, "because I now retire the Pietro of my front line to Call Ruin Shade. While I'm at it, I also call a Gust Jinn to the back row." Both units appeared with a flash, the first swinging about her oversized rapier, while the other clenched his fists in preparation for combat. 

"Now for the attacking. Nightstorm attacks Alfred, with a boost from Gust Jinn!" The gallant swordsman took up his blade once again and charged the might king atop his steed, the sword aimed directly at the warrior himself, "Don't forget, Nightstorm gets his 2000 Power boost once he attacks a Vanguard!" [ 10000 + 2000 + 6000= 18000 Power (Effect Boost)]

Damage: 4

Field: 6 (Vanguard, 2 front row rearguards, 3 back row rearguards)

Shio gritted his teeth a bit, as he looked at his options, but only one option stood at the moment. "No guard!" he said, taking the hit from Nightstorm. "Damage Check...it's Pongal..." he said, a bit disappointed that it was a trigger. The only other thing he could do was this: Blaster Blade could be used as the intercept, but the only other card in his hand that might be useful was Gallatin...and he wasn't even sure the shield combination would be able to work real well. This is really coming down to the wire on this fight...just hope I can pull this off. he thought.

First damage this turn. Two more to go. "Now for the main show. I attack with Cocytus, boosted by Evil Shade. And now, Limit Break! With four or more damage, Cocytus gets an extra 5000 Power when he attacks a Vanguard. That nets him a 11000 boost in total!" Yuuichi smiled. He had decided not to go with Evil Shade's effect this time, as he didn't want to discard an other potential trigger chances (he'd already had one too many of those experiences during this Vanguard fight) and furthermore, the Limit Break would give Cocytus the power it needed. At least he hoped so. [ 10000 + 6000 + 5000 = 21000 Power (Effect Boost)]

Field: 6 (Vanguard, 2 front row rearguards, 3 back row rearguards)

"Blaster Blade intercept! And calling Gallatin to help guard!" Shio declared, as he quickly placed Gallatin and Blaster Blade into the Guardian circle, bringing the combined total of power up a bit.

Guardian Shield + Alfred's Power

5000 + 5000 + 10000 = 20000

Now this was becoming a problem...big time! Yuuichi's Vanguard had 21000, trumping his shield with 1000 extra power. And all I have left is Soul Saver Dragon...I-I guess this fight won't be won by me if this keeps up. he thought. The shield wasn't going to do much, and if he got a trigger of any kind, that would make him go even more into a losing situation. Well...if that happens...it was a fun fight while it lasted...

Field: Swordsman of Exploding Flames, Palamedes ®, King of Knights, Alfred (V), Wingal Brave ®

Guardian Circle: Blaster Blade & Gallatin

"Twin Drive," Yuuichi called. With slightly trembling fingers, he put his hand onto the the first card and flipped it over. He had to surpress the urge to jump up and down in triumph. It was Rough Seas Banshee, a critical trigger. "Trigger get! All the effects go to Cocytus!"  At this point, Yuuichi didn't feel the need to check for the second drive trigger, but figured he might as well; after all, Shio might still have a heal trigger. The moment he uttered "Second check" and turned the card over however, his eyes widened, shocked. As Lady Fortune had never been particularly generous to him in terms of general luck, such an occurrence as was playing out before his eyes right now was on par of a minor miracle. "A...All the effects go to Cocytus again," he said finally, and laid the card on the table so that Shio (and anyone else who cared to look) could see it. It was a second copy of the card he has just drawn: Rough Seas Banshee. In other words, Yuuichi had just drawn a double critical trigger. [ 21000 + 5000 + 5000 = 31000 Power (Trigger boost), 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 Critical] 

"TWO TRIGGERS IN A ROW?! NANI*!!!" Shio exclaimed, as his eyes widened as he had his barrier and Alfred knocked out by Yuuichi's Vanguard. "Damage triggers...first..." First card was drawn: Sharon....a Stand Trigger. "Second check..." As he flipped over the second card, his heart dropped, as he sighed with an uneasy smile. "Its Blaster Blade...looks like I lose." Shio placed the cards down, and smiled as he laughed over the matter. "Oh wow! I knew I had found a great opponent when I challenged you! Your quite amazing with those Granblues, Yuuichi-san!"

YUUICHI VS SHIO!

4 ~ 6

YUUICHI WINS!!

"You were really lucky to have both of those triggers drawn! I am very impressed!!" he said happily, as he extended his hand to Yuuichi's.

*Nani means "What the" in Japanese

Yuuichi smiled as well as he shook the hand Shio offered him. "You were a really great rival as well, Shio-san. You and your Royal Paladins were a really spectacular combination. And I was just really lucky there with drawing a double critical, so it wasn't all skill on my part. In fact, I'd say I owe this win to these guys, " he said, tapping his deck with a finger. "The Granblue were the ones that did most of the work. I just made sure to set them on the optimal path to success." Gathering the cards from their various scattered locations and shuffling them back into his deck, he then placed it back into his deck box before looking around. Now that the fight was over, one question lingered in his mind. 

So, what happens now?

Shio smiled as the two shook hands. Then he heard the word 'rival' and he smiled even more. "Heh thanks. Truth is I've been with this deck for a long time. To be honest, this is the first deck I made. Most of these units have been with me ever since I started playing, especially my one Blaster Blade." he said, gathering his cards as well, stopping as he looked at his Blaster Blade card. That...and its the only connection I have with my mother. She helped edit this deck to how it is...so she poured out a lot of love to help me. Shio thought, as he put his deck back in its deck box.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgt2ihTiX2M]CF!!V OST ~ Itsumo no Nichijyou[/url]

He stood up and then stopped as he thought a minute. "Ya know, Yuuichi-san...Daichi-Tencho had mentioned a small shop tournament that will be happening sometime soon. Will you be attending? Cause it would be pretty cool to get a rematch from you!" he said with a smile, placing his hands behind his neck.

It was a rare occurrence when three cardfights as exciting as the three he had just witnessed blessed themselves upon Daiki's shop. Nevertheless, his name seemed to be commonly mispronounced as "Daichi" and Shio had just joined that group. "Daiki," the owner corrected with a chuckle, "my name is Daiki. You are right about the tournament, however." Taking a small peek to look out the glass entrance doors of the shop, the manager noticed that he needed to take the trash out as it was filling up rather quickly. He began to announce, "I need to go put the garbage can by the street, so watch over the counter for the short time I'm gone, please." He smiled and walked out of his store.

As he placed the large green container of trash to the curb, he noticed that the sun had actually been veiled, hidden by many gray clouds above. And with that small look, a few tiny raindrops began to descend upon Daiki's face. It was about to rain mildly heavily, though it wasn't clear how long. Before it could really start pouring, Daiki rushed back into the shop. Slightly damp, he began another one of his announcements to the customers. "It's looking like we'll have a bit of rain today. I'd suggest you guys stay inside here until it lets up. I'm not sure how heavy it'll get, so prepare for the unexpected."

Archived