[Leaderboard] Zextra vs Hale [Finished]

Zextra

Rules:
• 1st card to 3 votes first wins, or that has the most votes by 8:00 PST on July 7th.
• Votes must be supported by valid reasoning

Requirements:
Make a card that recreates the effect of a staple (including banned ones) in a balanced manner (Raigeki, Pot of Greed, Giant Trunade, Dark Hole, Heavy Storm, etc.).

Prize:
1 Rep/Like

Voter Bonus:
Each successful vote earns the voter a rep!

Scoreboard:Card A: 0
Card B: 3

[spoiler=Card A]
Massive Driver
Quick-Play Spell
Tribute 1 monster. During the End Phase of this turn; inflict 400 damage to your opponent for every monster used for a tribute this turn except ones tributed by "Massive Driver".
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Card B]
Wyvern Burst - Starlight
DARK / Level 8
[ Dragon / Synchro / Effect ]
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
When this card is successfully Synchro Summoned: You can banish up to 2 DARK monsters in your Graveyard; place 1 Starveil Counter on this card for each monster banished by this card’s effect (max.2). Once per turn: You can remove 1 Starveil Counter from this card; destroy 1 face-up monster on the field with less ATK than this card. During the Main Phase 2 of a turn that this card destroyed a monster by battle: You can Tribute this card; Destroy all Spell and Trap cards your opponent controls.
ATK / 2500 DEF / 1200
[/spoiler]

Card A:

While a very balanced version of Mass Driver, it completely killed the card. It would've been fine without the first tribute effect as a cost, and even then it would've been disappointing. Mass Driver was banned due to the fact it was an infinite tribute outlet as well as a damage inflicter. Simply removing the fact it has a continuous source of tributing by itself and making it not continuous would've been fine, but as of now, this card is completely unplayable. I will give you props, however, on how you handled the condition.

Card B:

Playable, which is what I'd hope to see. Very balanced Harpie's Feather Duster. Any balance issues would've been fixed on the spot had it required a counter for the Feather Duster tribute, but that is fine.

I have to vote for Card B. Both creators did a good job (Card A's creator moreso then Card B's) at reusing a Limited/Banned effect without absolutely breaking it, but playability is also a factor and sadly I can't see Card A being anywhere near the playability standard as it is so Underpowered in my eyes (unless I'm completely missing something). Had it been balanced and not UP, then it could've possibly stole my vote as Card B is a tad too powerful for a generic 8 star Synchro (though it does balance that out needing DARK Monsters for the counters, and it has to destroy a monster by battle, so thank God it isn't that bad).

I have to agree. I think Card A is quite weak, there are better options where burn is concerned.

Card B is very versatile. It is too powerful for my liking since it is so easy to get out, if the effect was just destroyed by battle or just by card effects it'd be fine, but the coverage its effect currently has seems a bit much. 

That said, it is much more usable and more likely to be a staple in a larger number of decks than card A

So I vote for B. 

I honestly don't think anybody would consider using the first card. The burn it provides is just way too little to be worth a damn. It's also a minus 1 when you do so, which wouldn't be half bad for Hieratics had it also been useable in the hand. It also is a Quick-Play, so it could have been useful to avoid some stuff had it had a better effect, though that isn't gonna save it from not being played. So card B gets my vote.

Archived