200px-Inferno-cover.jpg

Probably takes the place of "The Lost Symbol" as my favorite book. Not only does it have everything the previous installments of the Robert Langdon series had, but it also brings up a plethora of realistic social issues, not just secret societies and religious philosophy.

"Inferno" is the fourth installment in Dan Brown's series revolving around the handsome and intelligent Harvard professor, Robert Langdon. In this book, Langdon finds himself in Italy, having no recollection of the past few days, hunted by assassins and task forces. He must travel around Italy in order to remember what he has already deciphered of the ravings a madman's judgement of humanity, before it becomes too late. Oh, and it's all revolving around Dante's Inferno, because insane people are tasteful.

[spoiler='Everything inside this spoiler, and probably below, is actually a spoiler. Beware']

I mostly made this topic because I do want to have a discussion on not just the ethics but the viability of Zobrist's actions, and the actuality of the impending overpopulation of Earth, among other things.

Do you think Zobrist's solution was the best? The easiest? The most convenient? What other solutions might have been possible, and what solutions may become possible in the future?

What scenes were the most shocking or plot-twisty? What made you smile and grin like "Ooooh, I see what you did there!"?

Also, because I really enjoy Brown's work, do you think this essential change of the whole dynamic of the planet within Langdon's universe will prevent Brown from continuing the series?

Finally, was anyone else surprised Langdon didnt get some in this book? Pretty sure that's a first for him, he needs to get his head in the game. XP

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Spoilers]

On one hand, I love how meta the entire book is, as it does appear to have some semblance of being self-aware, and even Dan Browns itself on occasion.

On the other hand, I hate how the book is essentially pointless, as the villain won long before this adventure even got started. They have been doing all of this for nothing.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Spoilers']That is an interesting viewpoint. Yeah, it is weird and unfortunate that Zobrist did end up succeeding with his plan, but I think that only further pushes us to think: was the plan right?

I think it is probably the most humane method of population control we have currently (assuming it is even possible), but that isnt to say better solutions wont present themselves in the future, or even right now but different people. After all, just expanding our habitable area doesnt fix the problem that we are growing as a population exponentially. Some sort of limiter needs to be placed if we dont plan on eventually consuming the entirety of the universe.[/spoiler]

Oh, here's something else I forgot about.

[spoiler='Spoilers']What do you think about the provost and his business?

Obviously its pretty shady and they did make the mistake of assisting Zobrist, but he said they have and do help good guys as well.

And of course, they arent breaking any laws, just pretending to. :P[/spoiler]

Archived