Progress on my novel 'Diamond of Black' almost complete

Merci

If any of you remember the thread I made about a year ago on how I was going to make a novel, well, while I may use the plot idea for a future novel, I scrapped it a few months ago in favor of a different idea.

At school, my class each had to do a 'personal project' which they would then present to the rest of high school in a sort of class expo. I decided that this was a good opportunity to make a novel and after three months of procrastination, the idea somehow came to me in the form of a story I ended up calling Diamond of Black

The expo was yesterday, and while I had to rush the story a lot to finish and print it in time, summarizing several chapters (like, two hundred pages worth) in the space of a few pages, and it lacked any editing whatsoever, the comments on it were really positive~ A lot seemed to like the story and concept, and some even asked for the price xD

The story's based partially on my own personal experience, partially on the experience of friends I've had, and partially on other stuff. I put down the genre as 'Supernatural Teenage Drama/Romance', and for those who are curious,this is the cover I made and used:

izuma0.jpg

[spoiler=The Plot]
The plot revolves around a girl called Angelica Mallory (Angie for short). At the beginning, she attempts to suicide by throwing herself off a building, but fails and ends up breaking her right arm and both her legs. At the hospital, as she endures the consequences brought about by her attempt and the visits from her past, she meets a guy called Calan and begins to learn the values of life.

However, at the same time, in her dreams, she starts to go to an alternate dimension called Einados, a paradise kingdom where all kinds of cultures are mixed up, where magic and miracles are made possible, where 'death' and 'suffering' do not exist, and where each resident is a reflection of their true selves. Here she encounters different kinds of people, most notably a guy by the name of Nero who she finds drawn towards, and who always seems supportive of her. She also discovers that she is a princess candidate alongside an odd hipster girl named Kara(which is an anomaly, since candidates are meant to be reincarnations), and they start to learn how to use magic. For her, it's like paradise.

Her constant visits to Einados begin to show, making her draw more and more distant from both reality and from Calan. 

Even as she learns of the horrible, twisted nature behind the kingdom of Einados and its people, it doesn't deter her by much.

Eventually, she has to make a choice:
To either stay in reality and continue her life as a neuropathically-crippled post-suicide attempt victim of abuse,
Or to commit suicide and reside in other world forever.

It seems obvious, but... Why did she have to meet Calan? Why did she have to meet the one guy who could make her change her mind?

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Sample from the first page]

Not so calmly, I find myself staring at the ground far below. The pavement, though I walk it every day, now looks harsh and unforgiving. Just the way I want it to be.

Cars, motorcycles, vehicles like that pass by every now and then, seeming so insignificant from up here, and none notice the random girl standing on the rooftop of an apartment complex. For all they know, I'm probably just another one of those crazy teens. Maybe I am.

I hear rough, heavy breathing, slowly getting faster. It dawns on me that it's probably my own, but it doesn't sound like the breath of a human being. My feet move, but then they flinch back on a reflex. Again.

How long have I been standing here?

I'm terrified. I'm absolutely terrified, but I know that I can't let myself think about it too much. A part of me doesn't want to do this, telling me that this is wrong, and that I should just go back to my room and forget any of this ever happened.

But then my mind flashes back to my life, and it all becomes clear:

DEATH CAN'T POSSIBLY BE WORSE

Roused by this thought, I push my legs forth against their will——and with a burst of energy, everything that is 'Angelica Mallory' plummets.

And everything turns dark.

[/spoiler]

I figure that when I'm done, I'll first print several more copies, one to donate to the school library and the rest to distribute to close friends and stuff. Then, once I've moved back to England, I'll go find a publisher for the work and see if anyone's interested.

If any of you want to read the unedited, rushed version I showed during the expo thing yesterday, you can just ask and I'll send you the PDF file - it's about 120 pages. Or you could just wait another few years and see if it turns up in a nearby bookstore.

So, any thoughts on it?

Sounds interesting, but to be quite honest I'd rather wait for the complete version. :)

Heh, you're right~ Finished products are better, after all~ Alright then, I'll go update this thread sometime once I'm finished with the novel. ^_^

Although I don't know about your other thread, I must comment as a wannabe writer myself. This is a nice idea, I like the sample a lot. But yeah, I'd rather wait for the complete version to judge better. Keep going and don't give up. Do it with fun and passion and you'll be a great writer.

Archived