Yugioh Locals

I assumed this was the best place for this.

Anyways, after playing Yugioh by myself for the longest time, and after a long leave of absence, I got back into the game, tried to learn competitive stuff, and now I realized there's a local place that holds tournaments every week. Only dueled casually with like a couple people, never in a competitive setting. I play sometimes on YGOpro, but I mean it's the internet.

So what should I expect when I go? How competent/good do I need to be to not get shat on or cursed out? Do people bitch about rulings and nitpicky stuff? Are you looked down upon if you're a nub playing good decks, or conversely, bad decks? I know it varies from place to place, but how many people are typically at these? Any other relevant info would be nice.

I assumed this was the best place for this.

Anyways, after playing Yugioh by myself for the longest time, and after a long leave of absence, I got back into the game, tried to learn competitive stuff, and now I realized there's a local place that holds tournaments every week. Only dueled casually with like a couple people, never in a competitive setting. I play sometimes on YGOpro, but I mean it's the internet.

So what should I expect when I go? How competent/good do I need to be to not get shat on or cursed out? Do people b**** about rulings and nitpicky stuff? Are you looked down upon if you're a nub playing good decks, or conversely, bad decks? I know it varies from place to place, but how many people are typically at these? Any other relevant info would be nice.

I noticed locals are notorious for not knowing the rules, even from older parties.

I had a guy tell my brother (and the rest agreed) that Shi En+Shien created a lockdown, lol.
You need to know the meta, play a 40 card deck, and you know, have some good (but not necessarily the best) cards.
My locals were cruel when I came in with Morphtronics when I was like 12, haha.

My biggest issue is with how a common theme is "LOOK I GOT TEH SHINY CARDS AND MEBBE THEY ARE GERMAN"

And also, that the people playing the absurdly good decks are really jerky about it, at least in my past experience. 

I'd say 7-12 people, typically.

There are noobs all the time at locals and they don't even know what competitive Yu-Gi-Oh is so you're already ahead of them. Just play a decently well-constructed Tier 2-3 deck and know basic rulings (not much complicated stuff usually comes up). You're probably worrying too much about peoples' attitudes towards new players, but as long as you're not a dick then you will be welcomed fine (unless your locals is full of dicks).

Locals vary in size hugely from about 5 to 45 and the biggest factor is the size of the town/city where the locals is. I live in a decently sized city and my locals is normally around 18-30.

It shouldn't.

Reading is a huge improvement from DN, just saying.

Also, not reading cards allows people to get away with cheating. There is nothing wrong for wanting to know what a card does, this is not the Yugioh anime.

Knowing Tier one and Two may help you, but my locals were always chaotic with decks, only 1-2 having the highest tier decks.

Just got back from locals, pretty much what you guys said, they're chill with newbies and such. Half the time they had to read my card effects because I played Cloudians, and no one ever sees them get any play.

But I ran into Spellbooks, a deck I had not seen before, and they do some crazy s*** so I just trusted the guy was making legit moves.

From my experience, so long as you go in with a deck that you fully know how to play and want to have fun, you'll do fine.

My first locals (and when I became competitive...almost three years ago), I had no idea WHAT people were playing. So, I showed up with a pure water deck. The main cards were Mermaid Archer, Codarus, A Legendary Ocean, etc. I had the deck for well over a year, so I knew all the combos I could do. The only thing different about it were the three Deep Sea Divas I had added two days before after I was taught what Synchro Summoning was, my extra deck being Trishula, Catastor, and I wanna say Dewloren. Needless to say, my opponents were asking just as many questions as I was, and I went undefeated with my locals being swarmed with Six Sams and such.

Judgment of Anubis was to good.

Archived