Why is there no Newbie Adoption Scheme?

Would you support this?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would you support this?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I'm undecided.

Well, many a newer poster I've seen (I know I'm new, but please, disregard that for the duration of this post) is wandering around with -1 or -2 rep, "talkin lik dis11!!1", and posting topics in the wrong section, and it surprises me there isn't a newbie adoption scheme anywhere on these forums. I've seen it work quite well on others.

How does it work? Well, each newer member who joins up to the scheme is allocated to one more experienced member. The more experienced member (I'll call him/her the "tutor") for now, explains the basics of the forum, teaches their newbie the basic of grammar, what topics go where, and generally try to smooth out any problems they can.

It's all very good having topics on how to do this that and the other, but it could be good for newer members to actually have someone step them through it, and show them the practical applications.

Who knows, with a little perseverance from a few older members, a few newbies could be transformed into respectable figures of the community, and from the newbie's point of view, it's always helpful to have someone show you around.

EDIT: Somewhat similar to the Find a Friend thing, just aimed specifically at newer members who want a head start in their forum career.

Why would you want to adopt a new member?

1. Would they listen?

Many of us help out new members, do they listen to our advice, 80% of the time = NO.

2. 'You Is Gay yoyoyo'

Some new members with continue to either flame members, either accidently or purposefully and will continue to talk in gabber gabber language, therefore may not listen to you, and you would have a failed adoptie.

3. Double Double Triple Cubed

We may end up adopting a member who is actually a double, triple + accounter, and we maybe aided someone who may have caused mass chaos, how fantastic would you feel then.

4. Frustration

Surely you could get frustrated if you continously aide your adpotie yet they keep ignoring your instructions or just say 'i forgot', its very frustrating, or they flood your inbox with the same questions.

5. Can they not

Learn by themselves, theres plenty of help threads.

6. Worthy

Those only worthy to adopt would be the sensible ones, and the sensible ones should have the power to read and do things by themselfs, self discovery. The people who will annoy us and cause chaos are the ones which would need out attension the most, could you be bothered??

Im not saying this is a bad idea, its nicely thought out, but is it worthwhile?

Archived