Origami [14 cards]

Yemachu

The members of this archtype are some papers folded to represent an animal. The fact that you can unfold an origami artwork to fold it into another piece (something I would not actually advice) is reflected in their effect. Most members can return another monster you control to Special Summon themselves. You trigger an effect by returning a member of the archtype (from the field) to your hand. In a regard these cards are somewhat similar to the "U.A." archtype.

Since it takes some time to fold/unfold them, you cannot return them to the hand the turn you summoned them by their effect (with some exceptions).

[spoiler="Main Deck"][spoiler=Monsters]Level 4
[spoiler=Origami Angel]

Origami%20Angel.png

Attribute: WIND
Level: 4
Type: Fairy / Effect
ATK: 100
DEF: 1100

Lore: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 face-up "Origami" monster you control to the hand, but you cannot return this card to your hand for the Special Summon of an "Origami" monster this turn. If this card is returned from the field to your hand: You can target 1 "Origami" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target from your Graveyard, but it cannot be returned to the hand for the Special Summon of an "Origami" monster this turn. You can only use this effect of "Origami Angel" once per turn.

As angels are often associated with the afterlife and alike, it shouldn't be too far fetched that this card has an effect invoving monsters in the graveyard. In this case it grants them another lease at life.
[/spoiler][spoiler=Origami Crane]

Origami%20Crane.png

ATK: 1200
DEF: 1600

Lore: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 face-up "Origami" monster you control to the hand, but you cannot return this card to your hand for the Special Summon of an "Origami" monster this turn. If this card is returned from the field to your hand: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. You can only use this effect of "Origami Crane" oncer per turn.

Some sort of common challenge is to fold this type of origimi en masse in a short while. The record time of folding 100 of them is roughly 40 minutes; folding about 2.5 of them in a single minute. The ability to fold them that fast is sort of reflected in the fact that you can Special Summon it right after you returned it. As a result this card can aid in setting up your field for an Xyz Summon.
[/spoiler][spoiler=Origami Elephant]

Origami%20Elephant.png

ATK: 1900
DEF: 1700

Lore: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 face-up "Origami" monster you control to the hand, but you cannot return this card to your hand for the Special Summon of an "Origami" monster this turn. If this card is returned from the field to your hand: You can target 1 "Origami" monster on the field; that target gains 800 ATK and DEF. You can only use this effect of "Origami Elephant" once per turn.

The beatstick of the archtype. As elephants are quite big and strong, I thought that would be somewhat fitting. The ATK gain is permanent-ish, but since most members will constantly leave the field the duration is questionable.
[/spoiler][spoiler=Origami Frog]

Origami%20Frog.png

Attribute: WIND
Level: 4
Type: Fairy / Effect
ATK: 1500
DEF: 1300

Lore: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 face-up "Origami" monster you control to the hand, but you cannot return this card to your hand for the Special Summon of an "Origami" monster this turn. If this card is returned from the field to your hand: You can target 1 card on the field; return that target to the hand. You can only use this effect of "Origami Frog" once per turn.

The card which removes opposing threats. Returning it to your hand gives you a "Compulsory Evacuation Device" which can also target Spell & Trap Cards... I am not too sure whether that last part is a good idea. How is that effect related to a frog? I don't know either...
[/spoiler][spoiler=Origami Owl]

Origami%20Owl.png

ATK: 1500
DEF: 300

Lore: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 face-up "Origami" monster you control to the hand, but you cannot return this card to your hand for the Special Summon of an "Origami" monster this turn. If this card is returned from the field to your hand: You can add 1 "Origami" card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Origami Owl" once per turn.

Owls are often associated with wisdom (or at least in my country). Searching your deck for a card can be seen as some sort of wisdom.
[/spoiler][spoiler=Origami Parrot]

Origami%20Parrot.png

ATK: 900
DEF: 900

Lore: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 face-up "Origami" monster you control to the hand, but you cannot return this card to your hand for the Special Summon of an "Origami" monster this turn. If this card is returned from the field to your hand: You can target 1 "Origami" monster in your Graveyard; discard this card and add that target to your hand (this is treated as returning that monster from the field to your hand). You can only use this effect of "Origami Parrot" once per turn.

Due to parrots being able to mimic sounds they are capable of human speech, well sort of. By treating it as if the retrieved monster was returned from the field, it activates that monsters effect. So it sort of takes on that monsters effect; mimicing it of sorts.
[/spoiler][spoiler="Origami Stegosaur"]

Origami%20Stegosaur.png

ATK: 200
DEF: 1900

Lore: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 face-up "Origami" monster you control to the hand, but you cannot return this card to your hand for the Special Summon of an "Origami" monster this turn. If this card is returned from the field to your hand: You can target 1 "Origami" monster you control; that target is unaffected by Spell/Trap effects. You can only use this effect of "Origami Stegosaur" oncer per turn.

As far as I am aware, stegosaures are not known for being rather offensive. As a result I gave it more defensive stats. Since battle protection was already granted to "Origami Turtle", I gave this card the ablity to protect "Origami" monsters against effect destruction.
[/spoiler][spoiler=Origami Turtle]

Origami%20Turtle.png

ATK: 1100
DEF: 2000

Lore: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 face-up "Origami" monster you control to the hand, but you cannot return this card to your hand for the Special Summon of an "Origami" monster this turn. If this card is returned from the field to your hand: You can target 1 "Origami" monster on the field; that target cannot be destroyed by battle. You can only use this effect of "Origami Turtle" once per turn.

For some reason a lot of turtle monsters have high defense; lets follow that trend. This card will protect your monsters against battle. That way your "Origami" monsters might have a better chance of surving your opponent's turn, so that you can gain their effects next turn.
[/spoiler][spoiler="Origami T-Rex"]

Origami%20T-Rex.png

ATK: 2000
DEF: 0

Lore: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 face-up "Origami" monster you control to the hand, but you cannot return this card to your hand for the Special Summon of an "Origami" monster this turn. If this card is returned from the field to your hand: You can target 1 "Origami" monster you control; once per Battle Phase, if that target destroys a monster by battle, it can declare an additional attack. You can only use this effect of "Origami T-Rex" once per turn.

To my knowledge T-rex were great hunters and a force to be reckoned with. This is reflected in the attack power it sport, for how easy it is to summon it.
[/spoiler]
Level 8
[spoiler="Origami Dragon"]

Origami%20Dragon.png

Level: 8
ATK: 2800
DEF: 2000

Lore: If you control 3 or more "Origami" monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 face-up "Origami" monster you control to the hand, but you cannot return this card to your hand for the Special Summon of an "Origami" monster this turn. Each time another "Origami" monster is returned from the field to your hand or Extra Deck, inflict 500 damage to your opponent. If this card is returned from the field to your hand: You can target 1 card on the field; destroy that target. You can only activate this effect of "Origami Dragon" once per turn.

Though certainly not the hardest thing to fold, this origami can be hard to get right; you will need some experience with folding origami should you want to fold one. This is reflected in its effect of requiring at least 3 "Origami" monsters on the field, they represent your experience. It is also supposed to be some sort of balancing measere as to offset its power.

As dragons are often associated with fire (and fire with burning), it has an effect to slowly wittle your opponent's LP down. Should a dragon return to its nest(?), then the village/castle/whatever is often in ruin; destroying a card upon returning to the hand reflects this part of its Dragonbeing. 

[/spoiler][/spoiler][spoiler=Spells][spoiler=Origami Temple]

Origami%20Temple.png

Attribute: Spell
Level: -
Type: Field
ATK: -
DEF: -

Lore: All "Origami" monsters you contol gain 200 ATK and DEF. If a monster is returned from the field to either player's hand or Extra Deck: That player can excavate cards from the top of their Deck equal to the returned monster's Level/Rank, then that player can Special Summon 1 Excavated "Origami" monster, also shuffle the rest back into the Deck. Either player can only use this effect of "Origami Temple" once per turn.

For the moments when just 1 "Divine Wind of Mist Valley" doesn't cut it. This card however grants its effect to both sides of the field (though I don't expect many mirror matches). Another thing to impede its strength, is the fact that its search range is limited; often it is limited to a selection of monsters in the top 4 cards of your Deck.
[/spoiler][spoiler=Origami Sheets]

Origami%20Sheets.png

Attribute: Spell
Level: -
Type: Continuous
ATK: -
DEF: -

Lore: During your Main Phase, you can Normal Summon 1 "Origami" monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)  If an "Origami" monster you control would be destroyed, you can return it to your hand instead. This effect can only be used once while this card is face-up on the field.

Helps you get some field presence (or set up for an Xyz Summon).  
[/spoiler][/spoiler][spoiler=Traps]None.
[/spoiler][/spoiler][spoiler="Extra Deck"][spoiler=Fusion]None.
[/spoiler][spoiler=Synchro]None.
[/spoiler][spoiler=Xyz]Rank 4

[spoiler=Origami Spider]

Origami%20Spider.png

Type: Fairy / Xyz / Effect
ATK: 2200
DEF: 1800

Lore: 2 Level 4 monsters
If this card is returned from the field to your Extra Deck: You can target 1 Defense Position monster your opponent controls; take control of that Defense Position monster. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then activate 1 of these effects;
• Switch 1 Attack Position monster on the field to face-up Defense Position.
• Return 1 "Origami" monster you control to the hand.

In order to fold an Origami spider, you need two sheets of paper rahter than one. This is reflected in the fact that this card is an Xyz Monster: you use 2 monsters (papers?) to fold it. As it is also a "Spider", its effect somewhat supports that playstyle by forcing opposing monsters in Defense Position and taking control of Defense Position monsters. This way it can fit in either playstyle, or just about any deck.
[/spoiler][spoiler=Origami Snake]

Origami%20Snake.png

Type: Fairy / Xyz / Effect
ATK: 1300
DEF: 2300

Lore: 2 or more Level 4 Fairy-Type monsters

This card gains 400 ATK for each Xyz Material attached to it. Your opponent cannot Special Summon monsters with a Level/Rank that is equal to or lower than the number of Xyz Materials attached to this card. If this card destroys a monster by battle: You can attach the destroyed monster as an Xyz Material to this card, instead of sending it to the Graveyard. If this card is returned from the field to your Extra Deck: You can send 2 cards from the top of your opponent's Deck to the Graveyard for each Xyz Material that was attached to this card.

This monster is based on a modular origami snake. To make one, you will need at least 2 sheets of paper (of the same size); 1 forms the head, the other the tip of the tail. Any additional piece of paper makes up for a body segment. The possibility to make the snake longer is both reflected in its summoning requirements and its 'first' effect. You could also say it reflects the fact that a snake can swallow its prey in whole. The other effects are just to make it more intimidating as it grows.

[/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler=Ideas]
Konami

• "Archlord Kristya": All monsters of this archtype are Fairy-Type, and they have some Graveyard control. So summoning it shouldn't be too hard... unfortunatly it works a bit against this deck's gimmick.
  • "Blackwing - Zephyros the Elite": You can Special Summon it from the Graveyard by bouncing 1 card you control. So you have yet another card to trigger the effect of your monsters.
  • "Genex Ally Birdman": Simply return a monster to your hand to trigger its effect. Also serves as a tuner for the archtype.
  • "Harpie Dancer": Return a WIND monster to your hand to Normal Summon a WIND monster. This card can help you get the effect of a monster that was just summoned.
  • "Summoner Monk": Most monsters in this archtype are Level 4. It can help you get the main searcher out (and give "Terraforming" purpose once you have "Divine Wind of Mist Valley").
  • "Celestial Transformation": You can use this card to get more monsters on the field, considering you will most likely bounce the monster, you might not even suffer from this card's drawback.
  • "Divine Wind of Mist Valley": All members constantly return to the hand, and are WIND monsters. With these conditions, you can use this card to its fullest extend.
  • "Skill Drain": Since most of the Main Deck monsters don't have an effect while on the field, they aren't hindered at all by this card; use it to disrupt the opponent.

Duel Portal

• "Mist Valley Winged Dragon": Lets you retrieve a WIND monster upon Xyz Summon, also it can return cards on the field to the hand.
  • "Crimson Core - Synfania": With "Genex Ally Birdman", you have Level 7 Synchro options. This card stops banishing, which can be quite troublesome for the deck (especially when "Degenerate Circuit" becomes a staple).

[/spoiler]

Thoughts?

If you are interested in folding the members of this archtype, then I would suggest to take a look at these channels: Origamite, Jo Nakashima. Instructions for most members, if not all, can be found there.

Interesting archetype, although I think Spider could be exploited a bit too much. I like the idea of bouncing cards to gain effects, and your opponent has trouble responding due to the effects activating off the field, so it makes them uniquely difficult to punish. Divine wind would be amazing in this deck! I feel the deck is too slow, however, which cripples it too much. It's unique, but not an archetype that's all that good.

Interesting archetype, although I think Spider could be exploited a bit too much.

Edited its effect to only being able to revive "Origami" monsters at the cost of 2 Xyz Materials. But it does not longer return a monster to your hand, so you do not immediatly benefit from its effect. Though it has gained an effect upon returning to the Extra Deck; it switches your opponents monsters to Defense Position (the gimmick of the "Spider"series). Maybe it now is even worse than it was...

I like the idea of bouncing cards to gain effects, and your opponent has trouble responding due to the effects activating off the field, so it makes them uniquely difficult to punish. Divine wind would be amazing in this deck

Yep, that is a great card to be used in combination with this archtype. About cards that would "punish" this archtype, "Mind Drain" comes to mind. As do "Debunk" and "Degenerate Circuit". 

Besides the edits to "Origami Spider", I have added a hard once per turn clause to all other members ("Origami Owl" would otherwise be able to seach a bit too much). Futhermore, the following members are new to the archtype: "Origami Crane" and "Origami Parrot". Lastly, I added a small sections with ideas for cards that could support the archtype. If you have a suggestion (besides cards in the EVO set) I would be glad to add them. 

• 1 month later...

I was featured <3 (Mist Valley Winged Dragon ish mine <3)

However, i think you can know what i would say after that, ofc i would love to see this deck in action, being realistic, i would discard the level 6 "Origami" to ficus on the lower level, they are pretty strong, specially Crane that let your summon 2 lvl4 free if normal summoned, and paired with the field and/or the owl... Dats just kinda insane xD
However, the return or hand eff of the continous spell is way too much, it triggers the Origami effects even in Opponent turn, and they can spam the field in a blink, and more with crane and this spell in hands
Check them a little, it seems interesting and fun~!

• 3 weeks later...

I was featured <3 (Mist Valley Winged Dragon ish mine <3)

Late reply, but it indeed seems that way. Added a link to the thread in which it is featured. Though I believe you didn't have it up when I first stated it. But that aside.

However, i think you can know what i would say after that, ofc i would love to see this deck in action, being realistic, i would discard the level 6 "Origami" to ficus on the lower level, they are pretty strong, specially Crane that let your summon 2 lvl4 free if normal summoned, and paired with the field and/or the owl... Dats just kinda insane xD

Add a "Summoner monk" into the mix and you can swarm the field even faster. But unlike "Origami Owl", and the newly added "Origami Angel", it does not really generate any card advantage in itself; just field presence... with subpar stats. Considering some other (generic) cards have roughly the same ability to swarm the field ("Goblindbergh" and "Tin Goldfish"), I don't think it would be that troublesome.

On the matter of "Origami T-Rex" and "Stegosaur", I have changed their level to 4, as aside from having higher stats, they didn't really benefit the deck.

However, the return or hand eff of the continous spell is way too much, it triggers the Origami effects even in Opponent turn, and they can spam the field in a blink, and more with crane and this spell in hands
Check them a little, it seems interesting and fun~!

Don't know whether you have read its effect carefully, but you can only protect an "Origami" monster once while it is on the field. And since they are not capable of returning Spells to the hand themselves, it most likely won't trigger very often. But I get the idea: It saves an "Origami" monster, becoming a +1. If the protected monster happened to be "Origami Owl" or "Origami Angel" it essentially becomes a +2... If you have any ideas for what to replace it with, let me know.

If you like them, by all means try them; a different perspective might get the strenghts/weaknesses of the archtype better in chart. In any case have fun!

On another note, I am thinking of adding the summoning effect to a once per turn clause; this way you either summon them or trigger their effect. But before I make these changes, I would like your (the community) input on this.

Log:

• Added "Origami Angel"
  • Changed "Origami Stegosaur": Stats are lower, and Spell & Trap protection got replaced with effect destruction protection.
  • Changed "Origami T-Rex": Stats are lower.
  • Changed "Origami Spider": No longer capable of reviving "Origami" monsters. By detaching, it can switch monsters to Defense Position or return an "Origami" monster. Also it can take control of a Defense Position monster upon return to the Extra Deck.

they are fine the way they are now, and yeah, even if its just once, the +1/+2 that Paper generates is also good.

in other thoughts, the literally BIG diference between MV and this is the fact that they only return themselves, and the Mist Valley is any card, so you cant abuse of the field and/or continues spells/traps like CotH, Vanity Emptiness, Sword of Revealing Light, etc.. but if someone manage a way to get Thunder Lord on the field, will become a litte broken, but not as the Full MV build.

the deck have swarm, Hand and field precense, but not getting into the OP side, i really liked this deck~

• 3 weeks later...

With the addition of "Origami Dragon", "Origami Temple" and "Origami Snake", I thought it would be time to bring this topic back into the spotlights.

Log:

• Added "Origami Dragon": Serves as some sort of Main Deck boss. Has slightly more restricted summoning conditions. Sports a burn effect and effect destruction.
  • Added "Origami Temple": Can be used to replace "Divine Wind of Mist Valley"; it has some advantages and some disadvantages compared to it (only "Origami" monsters, from a smaller portion of your deck; not restricted to levels however).
  • Added "Origami Snake": Semi-generic Extra Deck monster that can stop your opponent's Special Summons (rather limited) and can serve as some sort of obscure "Dimensional Fissure". In-archtype it can also function as alternate win-condition (namely Deck out).

Muy thoughts
-Dragon: nice, is justo awesome, and fits the deck perfectly, tho i think this card can be pretty OP forma some combos, bit outside of that is a really good card
-Temple: honestly, i still preffer running Divine Wind, is a 4/40 chance to get a monster, and thats kinda low compared to Divine Wind that let me search for any lvl4 i want w/o problema
-Snake: i think this card is a little OP taking in mind how fast this deck could be, also the XYZ material gain is kinda crazy

-Dragon: nice, is justo awesome, and fits the deck perfectly, tho i think this card can be pretty OP forma some combos, bit outside of that is a really good card

Glad you like it (assuming you like it). I cannot really think of really overpowered combos with this card, though I might be missing something. Considering its effect destruction effect is limited to once per turn, I don't think it would be all that troublesome. So that leaves its burn effect. Theoretically speaking, "Dragon" is probably not the first monster you get on the field. As a result you probably don't have a lot of monsters that can be returned that turn; requiring your field to survive a turn. My expectation is that he deals about 500 damage on avarege the turn it is summoned, but I am willing to lower the amount should it prove troublesome. This however needs to be looked into.

-Temple: honestly, i still preffer running Divine Wind, is a 4/40 chance to get a monster, and thats kinda low compared to Divine Wind that let me search for any lvl4 i want w/o problema

Your calculations are a bit of... unless you are running 45 cards of which ~1 "Origami" monster (others could be in your staring hand); seems like a bad idea. Say about half your Deck consists of "Origami" monsters, and you are running a 40 cards deck, then you roughly have about the following chance of being unable to summon a monster: (18 / 35) × (17 / 34) × (16 / 33) × (15 / 32) × 100% =  5.84%. In other words that is a 94.16% chance of actually being able to summon something. (And that is if the returned monster was level 4).

It is indeed a lower chance than "Divine Wind of Mist Valley", where you have an even greater choice of things to summon. But this card has 2 advantages:

• You can summon high-level "Origami" monsters (read "Origami Dragon")
  • Your monsters gain 200 ATK and DEF.

I know these aren't great selling points of why you would run it over "Divine Wind", but why not run it alongside it? This card can be a back-up for when "Divine Wind" gets destroyed or something alike. Futhermore, it is up to the duelist what (s)he wants to run; I won't force anyone to run it.

-Snake: i think this card is a little OP taking in mind how fast this deck could be, also the XYZ material gain is kinda crazy

You could possibly bring this out as a monster with 3500~4100 ATK (2300 and 2900 are more likely though). Just note that it has absolutly no protection against effects (or battle for that matter), so using a lot of resources just to bring this out as a strong beatstick seems like a bad idea; you could probably have used the materials better. But I can see this card become troublesome should it attain a lot of Materials. How about I lower the gain to 400 per Material (with a slightly higher initial ATK)? 

Lastly, when you say that its effect is "kinda crazy", do you mean quirky/weird? Or rather overpowered (by lack of a better word)? I am inclined to think it is the former, as I cannot think of a lot monsters with a similar effect.

-Dragon is good because you dont have any self-summon límite con crane, so you can summon all your hand if crane is on your field, also some other ideas i got of it
-Snake is OP, since the ATK boost + summon restriction is kinda hard to get rid of, thats why i think is kinda OP

-Dragon is good because you dont have any self-summon límite con crane, so you can summon all your hand if crane is on your field, also some other ideas i got of it

Aside from a slight spelling issue, I am pretty sure "Origami Crane" could only activate its effect "oncer per turn". So you cannot summon your entire hand (unless you get some help from Spell/Trap cards). You might have skipped over it, or I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

[spoiler="Origami Crane"]

ATK: 1200
DEF: 1600

Lore: You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by returning 1 face-up "Origami" monster you control to the hand, but you cannot return this card to your hand for the Special Summon of an "Origami" monster this turn. If this card is returned from the field to your hand: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. You can only use this effect of "Origami Crane" oncer per turn.

[/spoiler]

-Snake is OP, since the ATK boost + summon restriction is kinda hard to get rid of, thats why i think is kinda OP

Due to its raising ATK, it can indeed can get hard to rid yourself of it in battle. There are however quite a lot of cards that don't require the battle phase to get rid of a monster, nor do they require a Special Summon: "Torrential Tribute", "Bottomless Traphole", "Mirror Force", "Compulsory Evacuation Device" (possibly not the best idea), "Fissure", "Smashing Ground", "D.D. Warrior Lady", "The Monarchs Stormforth", or whatever the youth is into these days. Granted, you still need to draw a specific card. But effect negation could also work wonders about it, not only is the restriction gone, but it also (possibly) suffers from an ATK drop. 

Lastly it only stops Special Summons of low leveled monsters (unlike "Number 86: Heroic Champion - Rhongomyniad", which stops basically anything). Nor does it gain its Xyz Materials as easily as "Cyber Dragon Infinity"... unless your opponent was so nice to swarm the field with a whole lot of weak monsters. So if you run Fusion / Synchro / Ritual monsters, you might even bypass its restriction altogether.

But considering "Star Seraphs" can easily make this card with a few Xyz Materials, I decided to lower the ATK gain.

Log:
  • Changed "Origami Snake": 1300 ATK instead of 1100, but gains 400 ATK per Material rather than 600. Opponent's monsters are no longer added as Xyz Material if destroyed by another "Origami" monster; that effect didn't make much sense flavourwise.
  • Changed "Origami T-Rex": Its effect no longer requires the destroyed monster to be sent to the Graveyard, as this kind of conflicts with the effect of "Origami Snake".

Archived