Girl Crush - Little Big Town

Face McShooty

Again, I know not many country fans on here, but I want y'all to listen to this song and tell me what you THINK the meaning of the song is. I'll post the true meaning in a spoiler underneath the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYZMT8otKdI

[spoiler=Meaning of song]

The meaning of Girl Crush as stated by songfacts.com

"

• This song finds Karen Fairchild taking the lead as she sings about her envy concerning an ex's new girl. "It's written like a good old country jealousy story," she explained to Radio.com. "I think we've all felt that, where we've lost a relationship and been rejected and we look at, 'What did he want that I didn't have?' I think it's a really easy thing to relate to, and yet you've never heard it said in that way."
  • This was one of three songs penned for the Pain Killer album by Lori McKenna, Liz Rose and Hillary Lindsey – the others being "Save Your Sin" and "Tumble and Fall."

It was McKenna who came up with the "Girl Crush" title. The songwriter recalled to Rolling Stone Country testing it on Rose. "She gave me this look like she just hated it," McKenna remembered. "She said, 'Lori, shut it down. We're not writing a song called Girl Crush.' She didn't even explain, she just hated it."

McKenna then decided to try the idea on Lindsey. "Liz starts with her argument with the dirty look and, I'm not kidding, Hillary played the first chord and sang the first verse as it is. And immediately after she sang it, Liz said, 'Oh my god, I love this idea! I get it now, I love it!'" McKenna recalled with a laugh. "So we wrote it pretty quickly. And because Liz hated it so much at first, we thought nobody was going to like the song but us, so we weren't careful. It's good for your songwriting soul to write a song that's just for you and isn't commercial."
  • Jimi Westbrook recalled hearing the song for the first time to Taste of Country. "It took our breath," he said. "We were like, 'Wow, I've never heard that lyric before.' And that's not easy to do these days, because you feel like everything's been done at some point or another. The first time we heard it, we were like, 'Wow, we've got to cut that.'"
  • LBT's Karen Fairchild and Kimberly Schlapman fell in love with the ballad immediately. "I knew as soon as I heard the hook of the first chorus that we had to have this song," Fairchild told Rolling Stone. "I'd never heard a jealousy song written like this. It's definitely one of the best songs I've ever heard and to get to sing it every night is a gift."
[/spoiler]

Archived