CALLING RAIBREAD ACTIVATE SCANNERS!

Tormented

I've never delved deeply into MS MR, partially through forgetting to, and perhaps because they're not a hugely deep band. That said, their surface level is pretty sweet. The hooks these two roll off are immaculate, so they've already succeeded in that respect. I've often heard comparisons to Florence + The Machine, and Lana del Rey, and I'm not surprised. Their sound is sort of what would happen if those two acts suddenly decided to do a 80s-inspired pop record, à la La Roux or Taylor Swift's 1989. At times, it does feel a bit too comfortable though. Might just be time though. Between when their album was released about 2 years ago, and now, you've suddenly got bunches of pop acts jumping on the exact same sound and aesthetic. Not necessarily because of MS MR (although I wouldn't rule it out), but certainly concurrently, and for similar reasons in the pop landscape. Think of You is a great song (I wouldn't touch the chorus; it's pretty much perfect in execution), but it sounds really familiar (although I mean this in a good way as well). What you've suddenly got is a very solid pop act, but unfortunately one whose songs could easily fit onto a half-dozen other artists' records.

Even their hyper-Tumblr aesthetic's kinda been took as well. Super funky visuals though.

Huh, when did that first song come out? Wikipedia says this year but this is first word I've seen. (EDIT: Just sat down and listened to Painted, and damn, that opening is chaotic. One hell of a stomper, though. The difference from the first album's tracks to the second makes me think of a reverse Purity Ring analogue.)

Anyways, BTSK is imho their best work. Plapinger's lyrics can be cringy at times, but "I found you in pieces / You'd been torn apart / A million one reasons to end before you start" is a home run line. She's got a really emotive voice, and though it gets covered up on the faster-paced songs, it really shines through when they slow down.

Plus, her appearance on that one Sir Sly track is fucking incredible.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB_SyCmdxUw[/media]

Archived