[Archetype] Aqray - "Ritual Spell", you say?

Basically a Ritual Deck that doesn't have Ritual Spells. It's rather defensive and has some problems with big monsters that are immune to targeting/destruction, so keep a steady trap lineup ready. I will add a card that recovers from the banished zone soon.

[spoiler="Effect Monsters"]
[spoiler="Aqray Priestess"]
rrEBMBY.jpg
Lore: When this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 "Aqray" Ritual Monster from your Deck to your Hand. You can banish this card from your Graveyard: Tribute monster(s) from your Hand or Field, except Ritual Monster(s); Ritual Summon 1 "Aqray" monster from your Hand or Graveyard whose Level equals that of the tributed monster(s). You can only use 1 "Aqray Priestess" effect per turn, and only once that turn.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler="Aqray Guardian"]
htMebiz.jpg
Lore: If this card is tributed by a card effect: You can add 1 "Aqray" monster from your Deck to your hand; except "Aqray Guardian". If an "Aqray" monster(s) you control would be destroyed or targeted by a card effect, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; negate that effect. You can only use each effect of "Aqray Guardian" once per turn.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler="Aqray Hope"]
fIs79gN.jpg
Lore: When this card is Normal Summoned: You can send 1 "Aqray" monster from your Deck to your Graveyard. You can tribute monster(s) from your Hand or Field, except this card: Ritual Summon 1 "Aqray" monster from your Hand whose Level equals that of the tributed monster(s). You can only use this effect of "Aqray Hope" once per turn.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler="Aqray Summoner"]
uRMV60I.jpg
Lore: If you control no monster(s): You can discard this card; Ritual Summon 1 "Aqray" monster from your hand, treating this card as the entire tribute. If this card is banished: You can Special Summon 1 "Aqray" Monster from your Graveyard, but its effects are negated.
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler="Ritual Monsters"]
[spoiler="Aqray Singularity"]
30FbKnl.jpg
Lore: Must first be Ritual Summoned. You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Aqray" card. If this card is banished: Draw 1 card. Each player can only Special Summon monster(s) once per turn while this card is the only face-up monster you control. You can discard this card; add 1 banished "Aqray" card to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Aqray Singularity" once per turn.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler="Aqray Water Deity"]
GKmKVjm.jpg
Lore: Must first be Ritual Summoned. You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Aqray" card. Once per turn: You can banish 1 monster from your Graveyard; Ritual Summon 1 "Aqray" monster from your Hand or Graveyard whose Level equals that of the banished monster, except "Aqray Water Deity". If this card is banished from your Graveyard while you control a WATER monster(s): Target 1 card on the field; return it to the hand.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler="Aqray Tide Deity"]
z78z0CB.jpg
Lore: Must first be Ritual Summoned. You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Aqray" card. You can banish 1 "Aqray" monster from your Graveyard; destroy 1 monster on the field. If this card is banished: You can discard 1 card from your hand; add 1 banished "Aqray" card to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Aqray Tide Deity" once per turn.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler="Aqray Tideferno Princess"]
ZPwT5vK.jpg
Lore: Must first be Ritual Summoned. If this card is banished: You can discard 1 card and banish 1 card from your Graveyard; your opponent discards 1 random card. At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles a Special Summoned monster: Destroy that monster.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler="Aqray Incarnation"]
H8Obi87.jpg
Lore: Must first be Ritual Summoned. You can Ritual Summon this card with any "Aqray" card. If you Ritual Summon this card: You can also banish up to 1 monster from your Graveyard as tribute. During your turn: You can return 1 banished "Aqray" monster to your Deck; this card gains that monsters effects until your opponents next End Phase. If this card is banished: You can target 1 "Aqray monster in your Graveyard, or 1 banished "Aqray" monster, except "Aqray Incarnation", Special Summon that target. You can only use each effect of "Aqray Incarnation" once per turn.
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=That one Spell card]
[spoiler="Aqray Blessing"]
kMSWdhF.jpg
Lore: Activate only if you control a face-up WATER monster. Shuffle 1 level 4 or lower WATER Effect Monster or 1 Level 4 or lower LIGHT Ritual Monster from your Graveyard into the Deck; add 1 "Aqray" monster from your Deck to your hand with a different Attribute than the banished monster.
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Thanks for reading through all this, I hope you liked the Archetype and enjoyed reading it.

Greetings,
SDB

Here my thoughts
-Guard: is probably the most balanced card so far, is good and just draw 1 card because the OPT clause
-Gunner: i think the second effect needs to be nerfed, again the OPT clause would help
-Summoner: both effects should be if no monster on field, also 1 card = Ritual Summon complete is kinda broken xD
-Priestess: pendulum restriction is waay too good, the ritual summon is a good idea, but from the deck? rlly? // the add effect would be nice if just when Ritual Summoned
-Singularity: Hard OPT clause pls, i can discard my Whole hand if i want, also u con banish this card múltiple times in a turn and add it the times i want
-Water Deity: Again from the deck? Is just Insane...
-Tide Deity: when Ritual Summoned plz
-Tidenferno: when is atached effect is the only wrong thing i see in this

- Blessing: free +2 plz (??
- Devastation: maybe change the banish as a cost, not as a effect resolution
- Elysium: more free +1, why not? XD

-Incarnation: Umi from LL! <3 // is a broken as hell monster, the add effect should be obliterated, also the 1 pet tur summon should also apply for Ritual, the bounce 2 monsters should be 1

The deck seems like it has potential, but im kinda worried about the swarm it has and how much it affects to the opponent gameplay
Banish from grave eff are always abussable as hell, and is a no cost effect most of the times (i already learned that)
Something that worries me is that thk deck has no backdraw or loses cards for ritual summon, and that something that worries me

Anyway, i hope this can help you

I like this archetype a lot! Having a sherly eff-based mechanic for Ritual Summoning is interesting, since there are more tools to shut down Monster Effs in the game of YuGiOh. However, excluding this fact, the deck has a lot of tools to prevent such crippling weaknesses, with some cards ranging from decent to insanely good! Here's my thoughts on the manner:

Eff Monsters:

• Guard (Good): He's a solid protection with an added bonus. A nice tech option to protect your plays, and only works for monsters on the field. I like him, I'd probably tech 2 in
  • Gunner (Too Good): This card needs a nerf. Understandably, you can always not use himself to get the extra eff, but being able to tribute himself to Ritual Summon makes it very difficult to properly respond with cards that target for cost, especially when it's an On-Summon eff. I would either add an extra clause, increase the cost, or remove the on-field tributing mechanic all-together, because he also dumps for pluses too.
  • Summoner (Good): This is what Gunner should be IMO. It has enough restrictions to help balance out its immensely good mechanic. Also, the banishment eff seems hard to get off since you usually control Rituals, but its fine this way.

Ritual Monsters:

• Priestess (Too Good): So on top of Summoner, and Gunner, we also have Priestess? It's kinda lame to be able to Ritual Summon from Deck with no restrictions whatsoever, on top of it being a Pendulum eff. Also, the Special Summon clause should be a Ritual Summon clause to add "Aqray" cards from your Deck to your Hand.
  • Singularity (Mediocre): While its Banish eff is functional, it has a really lame field eff. It should have the eff to Target any "Aqray" Ritual monster, then buff that monster by 1000 atk for Discarding, or something along those lines.
  • Water Deity (Broken): While Ritual Summoning using materials from Deck is near broken, actually being able to Ritual Summon the monster straight from the Deck Once per Turn by Banishing from Grave is insane. It's a OPT Ritual from Deck for free, with an added eff of the Banished monster. You can Ritual Summon herself up to 2 other times from Deck, and have 3 monsters unable to be Destroyed by Battle! It also can bounce a card after being banished, which is nutty too. Not a fan of this one, the deck already has a ton of methods to Ritual Summon.
  • Tide Deity (Balanced): It's nothing special, but it works. It reminds me a lot of Constellars + Star Seraphs, which could work in this deck. It seems like, without the broken support, it would consume too many resources to be worthwhile though going into Xyz's.
  • Tideferno Princess (Broken): Effect wise, she's not broken. Rather, the wording of the effs is incredibly confusing. When a monster becomes an Xyz Material, it is no longer treated as that monster, but an Xyz Material. So, are the effs activating from the monster equipped with her, or is her own effs activating as a Material? Where is the activation taking place? Does the Xyz monster gain those effs? It's rather confusing mechanically, so you should make it more like Tide Deity, and add those extra effs in as a clause to the Xyz monster. Also, her Xyz Summon eff should Target a Spell/Trap.

Spell/Traps:

• Blessing (Not Sure/Good): It's a searcher, sure, but I'm not sure how balanced it is. It really depends on the deck's engine, as I know you get extra effs from Banishing. But, at the same time, you still have setup on-field in order to use it. More testing would probably have to be done, but I can see it being really good.
  • Devastation (Balanced): It has a great deal of utility, while also allowing you to initiate a chunk of your engine during your Opponent's Turn. I like this card a lot.
  • Elysium (Broken): Each turn, you get to consistently negate and bounce cards? Also, it's impossible to destroy while you control a monster?! I can accept the two per-turn effs, albeit still broken, but that first clause is just unbearable! It has no cost, and consistently gives you pluses, with the ability to bounce anything and negate one monster eff that turn! Plus, you can still search for it, and it just becomes ridiculous. I would nerf this card in a heartbeat.

Xyz:

• Incarnation (Good/Broken): Standalone, this card is good. With Elysium, this card is insanely broken! The summoning clause makes it far more balanced, and having both players bounce exactly 2 Special Summoned monsters makes an otherwise OP eff much more situational. This card doesn't need change, so long as Elysium is nerfed.

Well, hope that gave you enough feedback! I look forward to seeing how this deck develops. Again, thanks for the feedback, and I hoped I did well enough in returning the favor. Take care!

Here my thoughts
-Guard: is probably the most balanced card so far, is good and just draw 1 card because the OPT clause
-Gunner: i think the second effect needs to be nerfed, again the OPT clause would help
-Summoner: both effects should be if no monster on field, also 1 card = Ritual Summon complete is kinda broken xD
-Priestess: pendulum restriction is waay too good, the ritual summon is a good idea, but from the deck? rlly? // the add effect would be nice if just when Ritual Summoned
-Singularity: Hard OPT clause pls, i can discard my Whole hand if i want, also u con banish this card múltiple times in a turn and add it the times i want
-Water Deity: Again from the deck? Is just Insane...
-Tide Deity: when Ritual Summoned plz
-Tidenferno: when is atached effect is the only wrong thing i see in this

- Blessing: free +2 plz (??
- Devastation: maybe change the banish as a cost, not as a effect resolution
- Elysium: more free +1, why not? XD

-Incarnation: Umi from LL! <3 // is a broken as hell monster, the add effect should be obliterated, also the 1 pet tur summon should also apply for Ritual, the bounce 2 monsters should be 1

The deck seems like it has potential, but im kinda worried about the swarm it has and how much it affects to the opponent gameplay
Banish from grave eff are always abussable as hell, and is a no cost effect most of the times (i already learned that)
Something that worries me is that thk deck has no backdraw or loses cards for ritual summon, and that something that worries me

Anyway, i hope this can help you

Thanks for your feedback!
I was worried Guards was a bit too much with the draw, but okay, it seems fine. I will add hard OPT to Gunner, it was planned like that either way. As for summoner, the first effect states that you cannot control any monsters for it to kick in, only the second one specifies Ritual Monsters. I'll give Singularity a hard OPT, no worries. Priestess will get a different restriction that only restricts you from Pendulum Summoning, and the add effect will be changed too. Blessing isn't really a "free" +2 because it is restricted to you controlling a WATER monster - which most cards you will keep on the field aren't - and it restricts what you can actually search. If you banish a Level 4, all you can do is add Singularity or Priestess. Banishing one of these two would help the most. In any case, that card will be nerfed after playtesting if it turns out to be broken. I will nerf Elysium and keep Inarnation as is, seeing how it will be harder to summon after the first nerfs and YugsterMayors comment.

The thing about the swarm with the Deck is that they are supposed to summon Ritual Monsters in order to summon Rank 4s, which are the only offense the Deck has. And because Ritual Summons usually are very costly, I tried to reduce that to help the Deck make Rank 4s consistently and without committing too much.

I like this archetype a lot! Having a sherly eff-based mechanic for Ritual Summoning is interesting, since there are more tools to shut down Monster Effs in the game of YuGiOh. However, excluding this fact, the deck has a lot of tools to prevent such crippling weaknesses, with some cards ranging from decent to insanely good! Here's my thoughts on the manner:

Eff Monsters:

• Guard (Good): He's a solid protection with an added bonus. A nice tech option to protect your plays, and only works for monsters on the field. I like him, I'd probably tech 2 in
  • Gunner (Too Good): This card needs a nerf. Understandably, you can always not use himself to get the extra eff, but being able to tribute himself to Ritual Summon makes it very difficult to properly respond with cards that target for cost, especially when it's an On-Summon eff. I would either add an extra clause, increase the cost, or remove the on-field tributing mechanic all-together, because he also dumps for pluses too.
  • Summoner (Good): This is what Gunner should be IMO. It has enough restrictions to help balance out its immensely good mechanic. Also, the banishment eff seems hard to get off since you usually control Rituals, but its fine this way.
Ritual Monsters:
  • Priestess (Too Good): So on top of Summoner, and Gunner, we also have Priestess? It's kinda lame to be able to Ritual Summon from Deck with no restrictions whatsoever, on top of it being a Pendulum eff. Also, the Special Summon clause should be a Ritual Summon clause to add "Aqray" cards from your Deck to your Hand.
  • Singularity (Mediocre): While its Banish eff is functional, it has a really lame field eff. It should have the eff to Target any "Aqray" Ritual monster, then buff that monster by 1000 atk for Discarding, or something along those lines.
  • Water Deity (Broken): While Ritual Summoning using materials from Deck is near broken, actually being able to Ritual Summon the monster straight from the Deck Once per Turn by Banishing from Grave is insane. It's a OPT Ritual from Deck for free, with an added eff of the Banished monster. You can Ritual Summon herself up to 2 other times from Deck, and have 3 monsters unable to be Destroyed by Battle! It also can bounce a card after being banished, which is nutty too. Not a fan of this one, the deck already has a ton of methods to Ritual Summon.
  • Tide Deity (Balanced): It's nothing special, but it works. It reminds me a lot of Constellars + Star Seraphs, which could work in this deck. It seems like, without the broken support, it would consume too many resources to be worthwhile though going into Xyz's.
  • Tideferno Princess (Broken): Effect wise, she's not broken. Rather, the wording of the effs is incredibly confusing. When a monster becomes an Xyz Material, it is no longer treated as that monster, but an Xyz Material. So, are the effs activating from the monster equipped with her, or is her own effs activating as a Material? Where is the activation taking place? Does the Xyz monster gain those effs? It's rather confusing mechanically, so you should make it more like Tide Deity, and add those extra effs in as a clause to the Xyz monster. Also, her Xyz Summon eff should Target a Spell/Trap.
Spell/Traps:
  • Blessing (Not Sure/Good): It's a searcher, sure, but I'm not sure how balanced it is. It really depends on the deck's engine, as I know you get extra effs from Banishing. But, at the same time, you still have setup on-field in order to use it. More testing would probably have to be done, but I can see it being really good.
  • Devastation (Balanced): It has a great deal of utility, while also allowing you to initiate a chunk of your engine during your Opponent's Turn. I like this card a lot.
  • Elysium (Broken): Each turn, you get to consistently negate and bounce cards? Also, it's impossible to destroy while you control a monster?! I can accept the two per-turn effs, albeit still broken, but that first clause is just unbearable! It has no cost, and consistently gives you pluses, with the ability to bounce anything and negate one monster eff that turn! Plus, you can still search for it, and it just becomes ridiculous. I would nerf this card in a heartbeat.
Xyz:
  • Incarnation (Good/Broken): Standalone, this card is good. With Elysium, this card is insanely broken! The summoning clause makes it far more balanced, and having both players bounce exactly 2 Special Summoned monsters makes an otherwise OP eff much more situational. This card doesn't need change, so long as Elysium is nerfed.
Well, hope that gave you enough feedback! I look forward to seeing how this deck develops. Again, thanks for the feedback, and I hoped I did well enough in returning the favor. Take care!

Again, thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it. I see where you come from with Gunner, and I will remove his ability to tribute himself for a Ritual Summon. That way it's easier to respond to him. As I already said in my response to lecc_xD, I will make Priestess only search on a Ritual Summon. Though, she doesn't Ritual Summon from the Deck, but the monster you send as a cost will be from the Deck. This helps you setup, and I thought it not to be too OP because the Ritual Monsters themselves are considered Material for a Play, not the play itself. They don't affect the opponents board in any way, so I thought it would be okay to make them easier to summon, as you need 2 to basically affect anything on the field by making an Xyz. Singularitys effect basically only has one Reason: The Djinnlock. She is the only Level 3 in the Deck, so the only one you can perform it with. I didn't want her to do too much because the Djinn does too much in itself. I might nerf her ATK a bit more so she is easier to take out even with a Djinn. About Water Deity - you missed the part where she says "except "Aqray Water Deity"". So all you can do with that is gain an effect and summon a Tide Deity or Tideferno Princess and Xyz with that. I might make the banish a discard instead so it's less broken, or I will only make it a banish with no effect whatsoever. You kinda explained the point of all the pluses the Deck can do in your comment about Tide Deity - because it is very costly to go into Xyz with them. I tried to counteract that, but I overdid it a bit appearantly. Tideferno will be changed to give her effect to the monster, same goes for he Spell/Trap effect which will target. Elysium only can't be destroyed if you control a RITUAL monster, which is not what you want to do most of the time because they don't do much on the field. You want to Xyz with them - which leaves them as not being on the field, making the condition of the first effect harder to fulfil. But I will scratch it either way, so that doesn't matter anymore. I will propably change Elysium so that you get a cost that will not trigger your effects, like tributing a Ritual Monster, while keeping the effect as is and negging the protection part, let's see how that works. With that, Incarnation should be fine aswell.
I really appreciate your Feedback, thanks again. :3

A few casual thoughts.

I really really don't like Elysium. Neither of its effects seems to mesh well with the archetype's other goals, and it will just give you a bunch of free cards over time since both of its effects are decent / great as one-shot cards (bounce is obviously good; but the negation is permanent and also applies to activated Normal S/T, since it's on a Trap Card). I would consider reworking it a bit to make the card only give half-effects - right now the separate effects are great cards on the fuller end of the Trap goodness spectrum and it's a continuous. I know it was changed to make the banish be a cost, but still.

The other cards look ok but the Ritual Summon from Deck looks really sketchy, as does the random Xyz theme that came in with the last two Ritual Monsters ... especially the whole "attach as Xyz Material to do thing" part, which seems to just come out of left field (side note: the 2-mat restriction seems irrelevant here, consider just removing that clause given, uh, most are 2+-mat). If it works then ok, but it seems to force the deck to go Xyz for access to any strong boss monsters and gives a lot of compensation to incentivize the otherwise terrible move, which seems rather roundabout.

I would neg the banish on Blessing and make it shuffle into deck instead to deny yourself a resource instead of fueling a resource.

Priestess is a Pendulum for no great reason :( just so it can have more effects??

Oh yeah, Gunner has OPT foolish. You could consider swapping the Ritual and the on-summon around, so you foolish on summon instead and Ritual as an OPT, which seems a bit more organic and responsive.

Incarnation has a floatation device. Floatation device ED monsters generally cannot have other good effects. Winda is a very good effect. Please remove the floatation device from this swimmer. The bounce thing is kinda situational though and doesn't seem like it'll ever proc with any semblance of regularity...

So, here is a Summary of all changes:

-Aqray Priestess: Was changed to an Effect monster with similar effects than before, but with hard OPT.

-Aqray Water Deity: No Battle Immunity, no Ritual Summon from the Deck. Instead Rituals from the Hand and gives an Xyz Monster battle immunity. Still can't Special Summon herself.

-Aqray Singularity: Level 4 like all others now, also moved the ATK boost effect in a more versatile but less powerful version to the Xyz monster summoned with it.

-Aqray Gunner: Actiavtion Timing of the effects was swapped.

-Aqray Blessing: Swapped the cost to Shuffling 1 back, as Cirrus suggested, in order to make it more balanced.

-Aqray Tide Deity: Just a little wording change.

-Aqray Tideferno Princess: Reworded and changed her effect a little.

-Aqray Incarnation: Changed the Float to something that doesn't plus you, but is a small bonus.

-Aqray Elysium: Made the first effect just add 1 back and made the negate of the second until the End Phase and not appliable to a card that was just placed on the Field.

Elysium is still free cards :< How about bounce a card you control to your hand instead? If you must reverse toolbox, have it cost a discard or maybe Elysium itself. I don't mind the negation so much since it doesn't hurt nearly as badly as it did before and is about half a card since it's only useful sometimes now, but is a nice enabler.

Incarnation is probably fine now; about as good as Tiger King, which is reasonable.

I think Priestess's stats are nuts; perhaps a slight ATK reduction.

Gunner seems a bit harsher now that it can't Tribute itself, but is still decent I suppose. You could make it OPT and retain the ability to Tribute itself, but have the Tribute be part of the effect, similar to Ritual Spells. That way it can still be negated.

I note the theme shift to a heavier leaning on the Ritual Xyz part, which makes the original Level 4 Rituals much more harmonious as well as the archetype more on point re: harmony of design.

The thing about Elysium as it stands is that it can recycle some material without overdoing it. You need at least 2 Ritual Monsters and 2 Ritual Enablers (or 1 if you have Water Deity) to do any major play. This drains your hand and doesn't give much back, if your opponent just happens to Bth or Dprison your so precious Xyz you don't have much left - that's where Elysium is meant to kick in. Of course, this can also lead to it being a "more free pluses" card in case you are ahead already, but I don't feel the OPT resource recovery is too much in a deck where one resource only does so little. Or am I wrong there?

See, the reason I am worried is that Elysium is searchable. You are exactly correct on the reason I don't like the resource recovery. It's not that great all the time but after you are setup it's extremely troll. And since you can search it after you're setup ...

Maybe it's not so bad in playtests though. I have no idea.

E: After reviewing the archetype you have a lack of enablers after the S/Ts got nerfed. Perhaps think about adding a couple more of those as the archetype as a whole feels kind of clunky now (unless you play random stuff like Soul Release I suppose). A lot of your monsters have effects on banish ... but you only have like, 2 cards that banish.

I think it might be nice to have an extra decently playable enabler as well as make Elysium's primary role to enable. That way, since you can search it and it can potentially have the indestructibility clause, it can gain you back some stuff by banishing cards from your Graveyard. Since your archetype's purpose is a bit more consolidated now, feel free to move some stuff around, etc.

The thing about Elysium as it stands is that it can recycle some material without overdoing it. You need at least 2 Ritual Monsters and 2 Ritual Enablers (or 1 if you have Water Deity) to do any major play. This drains your hand and doesn't give much back, if your opponent just happens to Bth or Dprison your so precious Xyz you don't have much left - that's where Elysium is meant to kick in. Of course, this can also lead to it being a "more free pluses" card in case you are ahead already, but I don't feel the OPT resource recovery is too much in a deck where one resource only does so little. Or am I wrong there?

I know what you mean, is a normal problem in some of the ritual decks nowdays, but just like Cirrus say, Elysium being sercheable and also recycle resourses is something troublesome, maybe you should take off the XYZ eff of search traps would make this card even more healthy for the deck

• 1 month later...

this deck seems good but ill let you know after i've coded them and test played them but i have to ask did u mean add 1 card from your Banished to your deck? " Activate only if you control a face-up WATER monster. Shuffle 1 level 4 or lower WATER Effect Monster or 1 Level 4 or lower LIGHT Ritual Monster from your Graveyard into the Deck; add 1 "Aqray" monster from your Deck to your hand with a different Attribute than the banished monster." because this effect has nothing to do with banished cards just wnted to clear that up befor i put them in my ygopro for testing.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived