[Archetype] - On the wings of a Gryphon

JemGryphonkin

Btw, I got every picture I used out of Google Image Searches, I did not create any of them.  If this isn't allowed on posts, feel free to let me know.  Also, I couldn't find pictures I liked for 3 cards, so they have blank pictures.  Sorry!

As one can probably tell by my user name, I'm a fan of Gryphons.  I'm also a fan of banishing cards, my favorite IRL card is Gren Maju Da Eiza.  So, I decided to make a Gryphon archetype with a banishing component.  It's a complete archetype in and of itself, and created in a vacuum at this point; it might be rediculous when combined with other cards, but I've tried to mitigate that as much I can.

Note: This archetype does logically include "Phantom Gryphon", "Gryphon's Feather Duster", and "Gryphon Wing" - though I wouldn't use any but maybe Phantom Gryphon in it.

[spoiler='Main Deck Monsters']

Cyclone Gryphon

3KWXCWE.jpg

Level 4, 1700/1000, WIND, Winged Beast/Effect

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 1 "Gryphon" monster from your Graveyard. If you do, you cannot Special Summon "Gryphon" monsters from your hand for the rest of the turn. If this card is banished by the effect of an opponent's card, or one of your "Gryphon" cards: Target 1 Spell or Trap Card on your opponent's side of the field; Destroy it. The effect of "Cyclone Gryphon" can only be activated once per turn.

Golden Gryphon

nuzmv6f.jpg

Level 4, 1400/1400, FIRE, Winged Beast/Effect

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 1 "Gryphon" monster from your Graveyard. If you do, you cannot Special Summon "Gryphon" monsters from your hand for the rest of the turn. If this card is banished by the effect of an opponent's card, or one of your "Gryphon" cards: Add 1 "Gryphon" monster from your deck to your hand (except "Golden Gryphon"). The effect of "Golden Gryphon" can only be activated once per turn.

Hunting Gryphon

LoZmcUQ.jpg

Level 4, 1800/1200, EARTH, Winged Beast/Effect

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 1 "Gryphon" monster from your Graveyard. If you do, you cannot Special Summon "Gryphon" monsters from your hand for the rest of the turn.  If this card is banished by the effect of an opponent's card, or one of your "Gryphon" cards: Target 1 monster on your opponent's side of the field; Destroy it. The effect of "Hunting Gryphon" can only be activated once per turn.

Silver Gryphon

1gWzZFy.jpg

Level 4, 900/2100, WATER, Winged Beast/Effect

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 1 "Gryphon" Spell Card from your Graveyard. If you do, you cannot Special Summon "Gryphon" monsters from your hand for the rest of the turn.  If this card is banished by the effect of an opponent's card, or one of your "Gryphon" cards: Add 1 "Gryphon" Spell or Trap Card from your deck to your hand. The effect of "Silver Gryphon" can only be activated once per turn.

Thunder Gryphon

ndDtP6Q.jpg

Level 5, 2400/1500, LIGHT, Winged Beast/Effect

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 2 "Gryphon" Spell Cards from your Graveyard. If you do, you cannot Special Summon "Gryphon" monsters from your hand for the rest of the turn. You can treat this card as Level 4 for the Xyz Summon of a "Gryphon" Xyz Monster.  If this card is banished by the effect of an opponent's card, or one of your "Gryphon" cards: Select 2 of your banished "Gryphon" cards, other than "Thunder Gryphon"; return 1 to your Hand, and 1 to your Deck.

Regal Gryphon

yQygNJU.jpg

Level 8, 2900/400, DARK, Winged Beast/Effect

You can Special Summon this card (from your hand) by banishing 2 "Gryphon" Trap Cards from your Graveyard. If you do, you cannot Special Summon "Gryphon" monsters from your hand for the rest of the turn. This card cannot be Special Summoned from the Graveyard. If this card is banished by the effect of an opponent's card, or one of your "Gryphon" cards: Choose Monster, Spell, or Trap cards; this turn, all your opponent's cards of the selected type are negated until the End Phase.

As you can see, the Gryphon monsters are intended to be somewhat swarmy, but limited by the "1 special summon from hand per turn" clause on them.  They all support the player or hinder opponent when banished as well. 

There's 2 more Main Deck monsters to look at, before we see the Extra Deck Monsters, however.

Gryphon Mage - Azure

EDqaTDq.jpg

Level 1, 700/600, WATER, Spellcaster/Tuner

When this card is Normal Summoned: You may select 1 of your banished "Gryphon" monsters; Special Summon it (You cannot Special Summon other cards, except from your Extra Deck, the turn you use this effect.) When this card is used as Synchro Material for a "Gryphonkin" monster, you can treat its level as 2. If this card is banished by the effect of an opponent's card, or one of your "Gryphon" cards: Target 1 "Gryphon" monster on your field; that card is uneffected by the effects of other cards until your opponent's End Phase.

Gryphon Mage - Jem

titmqsa.jpg

Level 1, 500/500, LIGHT, Spellcaster/Tuner

If your opponent controls a monster and you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If this card is used as Synchro Material for a "Gryphonkin" monster: You can banish 1 "Gryphon" card from your Graveyard. If this card is banished by the effect of an opponent's card, or one of your "Gryphon" cards: Target 1 "Gryphon" monster on your field; That monster gains 500 ATK.

Tuners; a herald of things to come, as the evolution of Gryphon-kind... the kin of Gryphons (Gryphonkin for short) as well as the strongest combination of Gryphon power arrive from the extra deck!

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Extra Deck Monsters']

First, since I just showed off those Tuners, might as well show the Synchros; Descend, Gryphonkins!

Gryphonkin Knight - Jem

GsXoDm7.jpg

Level 5, 2400/1200, DARK, Warrior/Synchro/Effect

1 tuner + 1 or more non-tuner "Gryphon" monsters
This card inflicts Piercing Battle damage. Negate the effects of monsters destroyed by this card. If this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: Select 1 "Gryphon" monster in your Graveyard; Return that card to your hand.

Gryphonkin Mage - Azure

4zVDmB3.jpg

Level 6, 2300/2500, WIND, Spellcaster/Synchro/Effect

When this card is Synchro Summoned: target up to 2 "Gryphon" monsters in your Graveyard: Banish them, and negate their effects that would activate when banished, and if you do, draw 1 card for each card banished by this effect. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard; select 1 "Gryphon" Spell Card in your Graveyard; Return it to your Deck.

-- Note, I wanted a way to get a bit of draw power in the deck, but i realized that drawing and triggering monsters would probably be OP, hence the negating the banished monster's effect clause.  This clause shows up later in a spell as well.

Gryphonkin Lord - Vanith

4qp3ITu.jpg

Level 9, 2400/1800, EARTH, Warrior/Synchro/Effect

When this card is Synchro Summoned: Target 1 "Gryphon" monster in your Graveyard; equip it to this card as an Equip Spell Card. Any time you would banish a "Gryphon" monster(s) in your Graveyard, you may equip 1 of those cards to this card instead. This card gains 500 ATK for each card equipped to this card by its effects.

The Gryphonkin aren't the only way power is progressed, though.  The Gryphons themselves can band together to forge stronger incarnations of themselves as well!

Sunfire Gryphon

nGn1X5w.jpg

Rank 4, 2500/2000, FIRE, Winged Beast/Xyz/Effect

2 level 4 "Gryphon" monsters
Once per turn, during your Main Phase, you can select one of your banished monsters, and target one face-up monster on the opponent's field: Detach 1 Xyz Material; shuffle the banished monster back into your deck, and if you do, deal damage to your opponent's Life Points equal to the ATK of the targeted monster.

Permafrost Gryphon

GxAIwqQ.jpg

Rank 4, 2300/2600, WATER, Winged Beast/Xyz/Effect

2 level 4 "Gryphon" monsters
Once per turn, during your Main Phase, you can select one of your banished Spell Cards, and target one face-up monster on the opponent's field: Detach 1 Xyz Material; shuffle the banished card back into your deck, and if you do, negate the effect of that monster as long as it remains on the field.

--Note this next card i made a while back as part of a fanfic.  It can just as easily not be a Number card, but I felt it was fitting at the time.

Number 75: Dimensional Gryphon

R9rWfTe.jpg

Rank 4, 1500/1500, LIGHT, Winged Beast/Xyz/Effect

2 level 4 monsters

This card gains 300 ATK for each Xyz Material. Once per turn, you can attach one of your banished monsters to this card as Xyz Material. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: For every 2 Xyz Material attached to this card when it was destroyed, banish 1 "Gryphon" monster in your Graveyard.

-- Now, on one last note; The Gryphon Mages were feeling left out, so decided they should have a way to combine forces as well.

Gryphon Mage - Aurynian Lord

ZlEUO9W.jpg

Rank 1, 1200/1400, LIGHT, Spellcaster/Xyz/Effect

2 level 1 "Gryphon Mage" monsters
Once per turn, during your Main Phase or Battle Phase: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and send 1 "Gryphon" monster from your field or Hand to the Graveyard; Perform a Synchro Summon, using those 2 monsters (only) as Synchro Material. This card cannot be destroyed in battle if you control a "Gryphonkin" monster.

(Really, i just wanted an Xyz Monster that could trigger a Synchro Summon.  lol)

However, they found even this wasn't enough to protect their home from the ravages of their foes.  So a new evolution was born...

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Extra Deck Monsters: Evolution']

First, the evolution of Xyz!  More Gryphonkins descend, to defend their Gryphon allies.

Rank-Up-Magic - Gryphon's Force

6l79OEY.jpg

Spell Card

Target 1 face-up Xyz Monster you control; Special Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 "Number C" or "CXyz" monster with the same Attribute as that monster you control but 1 Rank higher, by using it as the Xyz Material. (This Special Summon is treated as an Xyz Summon. Xyz Materials attached to it also become Xyz Materials on the Summoned monster.) Then, you can attach 1 "Number" monster from either players graveyard to the Summoned monster as Xyz Material.

Pretty Standard fair for a RUM spell, but the main aspect it has going for it is that it ranks up by matching Attribute, not by matching Type; the Gryphonkins aren't winged beasts, they are the allies of the Gryphons.  I have 2 Chaos Monsters for RUM.

CXyz: Chilling Flame Gryphonkin

01WXJM9.jpg

Rank 5, 2800/2000, FIRE, Dragon/Xyz/Effect

3 level 5 Monsters
(This card's Attribute is always treated as FIRE and WATER.)
Once per turn, during your Main Phase, you can select one of your banished cards, and target two face-up monsters on the opponent's field: Detach 1 Xyz Material; shuffle the banished card back into your deck, and if you do, deal damage to your opponent's Life Points equal to the ATK of one targeted monster, and negate the effect of the other as long as it is on the field.

(Paranthesis effect is a card condition, like summoned skull  is always an archfiend, or Cyber Harpie is always Harpie Lady.  Makes it allowable to rank-up from Sunfire or Permafrost.)

Number C75: Dimensional Gryphonkin

Pn2QpCv.jpg

Rank 5, 1500/1500, LIGHT, Spellcaster/Xyz/Effect

3 level 5 LIGHT monsters
This card gains 300 ATK for each Xyz Material. Once per turn, you can attach one of either player's banished monsters to this card as Xyz Material. When this card leaves the field, banish cards in your opponent's Graveyard equal to the number of Xyz Material on this card. If this card has "Number 75: Dimensional Gryphon" attached to it as Xyz Material, it gains the following effect: Once per turn, you can detach one Xyz Material monster that was originally an Xyz Monster; This card's name, effect, and original attack become the same as the detached monster's, until the end of the turn.

Now, I made special care to make sure that the Synchros contained 3 attributes, and the Xyz contained 3 attributes.  This leads to the final Gryphonkins... what happens when the power of Synchro monsters combine with the power of Xyz.  But first, the catalyst to that combination!

Gryphonkin Ascension

9TUS54A.jpg

Spell Card

Fusion Summon 1 "Gryphonkin" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, by banishing Fusion Materials listed on it from your side of the field or your Graveyard.

And the final evolutions...

Shadow Gryphonkin - Corruption

aU2EXC2.jpg

Level 10, 3000/1000, DARK, Spellcaster/Fusion/Effect

1 "Gryphonkin" Synchro Monster + 1 "Gryphon" Xyz Monster
This card gains corresponding effects based on the Attributes of its Fusion Material:
FIRE: When this card destroys an opponent's monster in battle, inflict damage to your opponent's Life Points equal to that monster's original ATK.
DARK: "Gryphon" monsters on your field inflict Piercing Battle Damage, and cannot be destroyed by opponent's card effects during the Battle Phase.

Alluring Gryphonkin - Enticement

tzq1oCB.jpg

Level 10, 2800/2100, WIND, Winged Beast/Fusion/Effect

This card gains corresponding effects based on the Attributes of its Fusion Material:
WIND: Return up to 2 "Gryphon" Spell or Trap cards from your Graveyard to your deck: For each card returned, draw 1 card.
WATER: Negate the effects of all cards on your opponent's field, until your opponent's next End Phase.

Devestating Gryphonkin - Force

ggt9ltK.jpg

Level 10, 2700/2600, EARTH, Winged Beast/Fusion/Effect

This card 500 ATK for each card equipped to it by its effects. This card gains corresponding effects based on the Attributes of its Fusion Material:
EARTH: When this card destroys an opponent's monster in battle: Equip it to this card.
LIGHT: When this card is summoned: You can equip one of either player's banished monsters to this card.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Spell and Trap Support']

-- Note, the two cards I view as strongest are specifically not named "Gryphon" cards, so as to not be recyclable and searchable by the effects of the monsters.

Aerial Warfare

TepMwtj.jpg

Counter Trap Card

When a monster(s) would be Summoned, OR when a Spell Card, Trap Card, or monster effect is activated that includes an effect that Special Summons a monster(s): Tribute 1 "Gryphon" monster; negate the Summon or activation, and if you do, destroy that card. Each player can only use the effect of "Aerial Warfare" once per duel.

- In ways a better Solemn Warning, I felt justified in "once-per-duel"ing it.

Gryphon's Feather Storm

8lvFCwx.jpg

Trap Card

When your opponent activates a Spell or Trap card, or the effect of a monster card: Send the top card of your deck to the Graveyard; If the card sent was a "Gryphon" monster, negate the opponent's card effect, and destroy it. The effect of "Gryphon's Feather Storm" can only be activated once per turn.

Traps are designed with a bit of LS-style mill, to help fuel the graveyard for other effects.

Gryphon's Feathered Barrier

K7yYyfR.jpg

Trap Card

When your opponent's monster declares an attack; Send the top 3 cards of your deck to the graveyard, and activate the following effects based on the number of "Gryphon" monsters sent to the Graveyard:
1: Negate the attack.
2: Target 1 Monster on your opponent's field; Destroy it, and end the Battle Phase.
3: Target 1 Spell or Trap card on your opponent's field; Destroy it, then draw 1 card.

Gryphon's Final Strike

JPb3BEO.jpg

Quick-Play Spell Card

Tribute 1 "Gryphon" monster on your field, then activate the following effect based on its Attribute:
EARTH: Destroy 1 face-down card on the field.
WATER: Draw 1 card.
AIR: Return 1 monster on the field to its owner's Hand.
FIRE: Inflict 1000 Damage to your opponent's Life Points.
LIGHT: Look at your opponent's hand and all of their Set cards.
DARK: Banish 1 card on the field.

--Note: discounting the Tuners, the main deck Gryphons also span all 6 attributes.  This is a gemini spark inspired sort of thing, with effects in many cases loosely built off the elemental Monarchs.

Gryphon's Wind Blade

ARTXTPI.jpg

Spell Card

Target 1 face-down Spell or Trap card on your opponent's field; Destroy it, and if you do, you can send 1 "Gryphon" monster from your Deck to the Graveyard.

-- Tried to balance compared to things like Galaxy Cyclone/MST, while supporting the theme.

Scarlet Gryphon's Pride

UaMeCFb.jpg

Spell Card

Discard 1 "Gryphon" monster from your hand, and banish 1 "Gryphon" Spell or Trap Card from your Graveyard; Draw 2 cards. You can only activate 1 "Scarlet Gryphon's Pride" per turn.

--All good Archtypes need a draw card, and banishing spells or traps don't help the theme much so it's not a double advantage like something like Solar Recharge.

Wind Beneath Thy Wings

2YPlRE9.jpg

Spell Card

Target 3 "Gryphon" cards in your Graveyard; Banish them, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "Gryphon" monster from your Graveyard.

--My reborn, can banish spells/traps/or monsters, but no monster effects.  Not a "Gryphon" card to try to balance it.

[/spoiler]

Hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed designing.

Yeah, this deck could run into some problems with TCG/OCG banishing cards, I realize.  Like I said I did create them in a vaccuum as a self contained deck, i use no TCG Cards in my test build except Phantom Gryphon x2.

I could adjust the text of the monsters to "when banished by the effect of an opponent's card, or one of your "Gryphon" cards" but it might end up too wordy.  And without the first part this deck 100% fails to cosmos or any other opponent's banishing strategies.

Yeah
You really have to take in mind those cards because someone else can use them and make a crazy combo w/ these cards
Icarus, Swallow's nest, all the banish-to-summon like Dark Simorg, Zerophyne and some RaidRaptors/Blackwing support

So, aside from popping the above listed text on to each of the main deck Gryphons, can you think of an efficient way to prevent skull lair/soul exchange/chaos/simorgh abuse?  I'm not terribly concerned about icarus attack, as im sure there's worse winged beasts to use them on.

Kajukaju is an example of a good target for icarus
Anyway, the only thing i say i that you need to be more specific of you want it in a puré build, of not, a lot of ppl can abuse of them
Just look at Atlanteans, they became a Mermail indirect support

I like it as a pure archetype, I was dueling a friend with it on DP yesterday and it worked well enough one duel, and competitive the other.  Obviously if I made the cards public I can't control what people do with them, but they do have to be pretty solid their own support to run; though your soul exchange comment made me literally wince.

I think allowing some type support like icarus isn't going to kill the deck; icarus could take the same spot as aerial warfare with little fanfare (lol) - and be a bit more versatile at that.  I do need to work on you banishing your gryphons with non-gryphon cards though (which would make the extra text on Wind Beneath Thy Wings about not triggering banish effects redundant.) 

I'm considering either:

As above: "when banished by the effect of an opponent's card, or one of your "Gryphon" cards"

Or alternate: "when this card is banished (except by the effect of owner's non-"Gryphon" card)"

or something to that effect.  I think the first text is probably cleaner and more standard.

Yeah, i agree on the first one
Thats the point i wanted you to take in mind~

I've made the recommended adjustments on the 8 main deck monsters: all of them require to be banished by opponent's card effect, or banished by the effect of a Gryphon card.  Also, removed the now redundant text from "Wind Beneath Thy Wings" that prevented banished card's effects from activating; this is not a Gryphon card, so it can no longer trigger effects anyway.

Also, removed the line from Gryphon Mage - Jem that enabled you to shuffle a banished Gryphon into deck and draw 1 card whenever he was special summoned.  Scarlet Gryphon's Pride, Gryphonkin Mage - Azure, and the floating searches of Silver and golden gryphon are more than enough draw/search power, and that seemed like far too strong a bonus draw, making Jem a supreme floating tuner.

Edit - Added 2 Pendulum Monsters with an interesting take on the mechanic.  Just text right now.

[spoiler='Pendulum Concept']

Gryphon Mage - Dimension Caller

Level 3, Scale 6<>6, 1000/1000, LIGHT, Spellcaster/Pendulum/Effect

Pendulum: You can only Pendulum Summon "Gryphon" monsters that have been banished (not from hand or face-up in Extra Deck).  This effect cannot be negated.  Pendulum Summoned monsters cannot be used as Material for a summon from the Extra Deck, and when they leave the field they are banished (without triggering effects that activate when banished.)

Monster: When this card is Normal Summoned: Switch it to defense position, and if you do, Banish 1 "Gryphon" monster from your Graveyard.  This card is banished if it leaves the field.

Gryphon Mage - Gate Creator

Level 6, Scale 3<>3, 2200/500, DARK, Spellcaster/Pendulum/Effect

Pendulum: You can only Pendulum Summon "Gryphon" monsters that have been banished (not from hand or face-up in Extra Deck).  This effect cannot be negated.  Pendulum Summoned monsters cannot be used as Material for a summon from the Extra Deck, and when they leave the field they are banished (without triggering effects that activate when banished.)

Monster: This card can be Special Summoned by Tributing 2 "Gryphon" monsters.  This card is banished if it leaves the field.[/spoiler]

Archived