The problem with "reputation"

Jesus

Ok. Here is a MAJOR problem with Reputation.

Before I start, let me clear up a few things.

1. I don't care about what my REP is.

2. I posted this in this topic because It's comments, and I'm commenting on how unbearably stupid the repping system is.

Ok, thing with repping is : There is no bad side to it. You can all give me -126629898196816 Reps, and I could care less. If you give a positive, whoopee. I got +Rep. I'm so happy. I'm gunna go wet myself with joy. No, I Think not. +Repping is nothing more then a idiotic way to say "Good Cards" or "Thanks for helping me".

The thing with -rep is, It's Stupid. Ok so, lets say I have Double Posted. Instead of a Moderator Deleting the post, he gives you a neg rep and says "Dun double post". You do it again, and you get another -rep. Again and Again, you double post and spam and all you get is another -rep instead of a mod deleting the post.

Like I said, I could care less how many +reps or -reps I have. It's idiotic in my opinion, and this is just my OPINION.

Just my OPINION!!!

Come on. At least SanjiTP locks some threads (even active ones without giving a full explanation other than because he thinks it's fine to lock, even when other people seem to like the thread, but you get the idea).

Positive reps are the indicator of a member being useful (makes good cards, give good explanations, win contests, or is cool). But negative reps, yeah. That's unbalanced. Many people can give negative rep for a single accidental double post, and if it's later stated that it was an accident (like, clicking Post Reply twice or the internet browser crashing while posting), maybe one or two persons will be sorry, but the others might forget. Although there's a thread to complain about it. Not sure if it's effective though.

I like the system though, seeing how careful I am when posting.

Yeah. Rep's caused one hell of a load of problems here at YCM. Like for one, you could bump an 11 month old thread, and you'd just get negged, then they'd post in it, bumping it even more... why not just lock/delete threads which haven't been posted in for a month or 2? It would make more space on the server cache. Positive reps are useful, neg reps - not. Just my opinion!

I have to agree with every single point. But I like positive rep than Neg. I can't help it, I could stay at 5 Rep all my life If I wanted to.

Anyways I got a Neg Rep for... Saying something to someone because he WAS INSULTING MY CARDS. So I gave him a NEG REP for insulting my intelligence. Then his friend gave me the neg. Rep for saying it.

It is flipping stupid, including people who want to help me with my GRAMMAR. I don't need help with it, I have Microsoft Word now so I don't have to get help. As well as, I use Mozilla Firefox.

I gave him a neg rep for insulting my intelligence. ._.

If anything, it'd be easier if people were only able to give positive reps to avoid this situation. I mean, some people look for the stupidiest excuses to give negative reps. I think I've only given one negative rep since I joined. I know, some people also tend to give positive reps for nothing. But let's face it. I've seen people with 6 consecutive negative reps because of a single spam/double posted post. One would think that ONE is more than enough. But someone who can be nice to many people, will rarely, if ever, get a single rep for his actions.By the time a n00b gets a positive rep, he already has like 4 or 5 negatives for being a n00b.

Newbies can get desperate if they take too seriously reputation anyways. It takes time to rise it, and it can go down in a single thread :P

with people being neg repped twice for one double post thats stupid.

but if you post 7x in a row the you should be neg repped more than once and thats the problem with only being able to give pos reps because if the did 7x post then you couldnt do anything about it and anyway most people that post in the introduction threads get +reps any way and if the spammed and 7x posted and everything the + rep would stay with them so people would think they're fine when they're not.

The thing with neg reps was for people to learn their mistakes. The thing with your solution is, if a mod just deletes the post, they'll never learn from their mistakes. They'll just think "Oh, if I do something stupid, a mod will just delete it and I'll get off scotch-free".

]

But Still' date=' even if you get a -neg rep, whats that gunna mean to the user who is Octa Posting? It will mean nothing. He will just do it again and again.

[/quote']

That's a fair point, they should be warned and then banned for a certain amount of time instead.

There is NO PROBLEM AT ALL with the Reputation System. It is a good and easy way of rewarding and punishing. If you get a +Rep, it makes you feel a bit better and more important. If you get a -Rep for DOING SOMETHING WRONG, you deserve it. We hope you feel bad about it and stop what your problem is. Giving NEG REPS is the only thing regular members can do to you since we cannot BAN you. So, we give you NEG REPS.

I hope that you realize that the REP System is a good thing here at YCM.

There is NO PROBLEM AT ALL with the Reputation System. It is a good and easy way of rewarding and punishing. If you get a +Rep' date=' it makes you feel a bit better and more important. If you get a -Rep for DOING SOMETHING WRONG, you deserve it. We hope you feel bad about it and stop what your problem is. Giving NEG REPS is the only thing regular members can do to you since we cannot BAN you. So, we give you NEG REPS.

[/quote'] Well, let's say this : I get a neg rep for.. I don't know .. Spamming. People give me a neg rep, and I say "Wow? That's it? I thought I was gunna get a worse punishment! If this is all I'm gunna get that I'm going to do it more!". Then all we do is keep giving him -reps and then EVENTUALLY, after a long time of useless rep giving, a mod bans him. That is the problem with rep.

i candov agree it is pretty stupid and people think your bad for haveing it in the negs even no your new and not evel but this is my opinyen do not atk me

... what?

And HunterB: In theory' date=' it should work. Rewarding/punishing systems work just fine, in real life. Here, it's not tangible. 1 week bans work way better (I've seen people that ACTUALLY reform thanks to them). Some people don't even notice their reputation at all. I didn't know it existed until I had about 4 or 5. And many others don't care. You can't do anything with reputation but to show off. But I've seen people receiving reputation [i']for being new[/i].

People can give negative reputation for no reason, and the user can complain. But do you think someone with positive reputation for no reason will argue about it? Not likely. I wouldn't, although I think I wouldn't even for negative reps, seeing as I barely give them attention.

Closing threads work better too. Or do you actually want to have 7 repeated posts and people posting on each of them that they are spam? Because those people would be annoying the others as much as whoever created the original thread. Locked posts are a bit more tangible, as if the creator want to post more on it (not likely though), he/she would not be able to. But if he only gets negative reps, he can continue with his mischief.

And the main problem is if the member doesn't take seriously the reputation system. If he doesn't care about it, it's just useless. No point of even lowering his reputation. A good one-week ban would do the job. And if it doesn't, I don't think that a few one-week bans would bother some moderator. And there's always perma-banhammer for those who repeat the same again and again.

I honestly don't give a stuff about my rep, nor am I ever likely to.

However, I do find it somewhat irritating newer members abuse the system, by handing out neg and pos reps without much thought. I saw a new person with +7 rep, I was vaguely suprised, clicked to see why, and found out all his +reps were ftom 3 different people, and they all said "because you are new." WTF? You get a reputation for being new? That's like saying you should get neg reps for being a long-standing member.

Similarly, they will hand out neg reps if you do something that displeases them, like marking down their fan fic/cards for being OCG (and generally rubbish), when that is a fair comment and they ARE rubbish.

I would actually prefer it if a) The Rep system was removed, or b) You had to get a "Rep License" to hand out Reps. Prevents abuse of the system.

And how would you get a Rep License. Simple. By a) Being a Mod, or b) Getting a high enough reputation score to earn it. Kills two birds with one stone, and means all reps are, if indirectly, supported by a mod.

I doubt that enough mods can accept the existance of certain members to the degree of giving them enough reputations to have that license. Not a bad idea, but I'd say that we just don't take too seriously the system, and that those mischief makers should get real punishment, like 1-week bans. (Obviously, after many times of rule infringement)

Obviously, it spreads. A few mods eventually give a member enough reps, now that member can give out reps, and so the next person gets enough reps fater, and it builds up. It also means everyone who is giving out reps is responsible with it, which is an upside.

]

There is NO PROBLEM AT ALL with the Reputation System. It is a good and easy way of rewarding and punishing. If you get a +Rep' date=' it makes you feel a bit better and more important. If you get a -Rep for DOING SOMETHING WRONG, you deserve it. We hope you feel bad about it and stop what your problem is. Giving NEG REPS is the only thing regular members can do to you since we cannot BAN you. So, we give you NEG REPS.

[/quote'] Well, let's say this : I get a neg rep for.. I don't know .. Spamming. People give me a neg rep, and I say "Wow? That's it? I thought I was gunna get a worse punishment! If this is all I'm gunna get that I'm going to do it more!". Then all we do is keep giving him -reps and then EVENTUALLY, after a long time of useless rep giving, a mod bans him. That is the problem with rep.

If you continue doing wrong like Spamming, we will give you neg reps. If you KEEP IT UP, we will report you to a mod or YCMaker and they will either BAN you or temporarly SUSPEND you from YCM. We hope that you all would quit spamming. Either you quit, or you get banned. We give you negs almost as a warning or a wake-up call.

Obviously' date=' it spreads. A few mods eventually give a member enough reps, now that member can give out reps, and so the next person gets enough reps fater, and it builds up. It also means everyone who is giving out reps is responsible with it, which is an upside.

[/quote']

or maybe to make it spread quicker you'd get a licence when you have enough stars or something because if you had about 5 or something you'd be responsible and wouldn't be banned because people that spam and things would get banned and you'd know there not a spammer or anything to get to 5 stars.

]

If you continue doing wrong like Spamming, we will give you neg reps. If you KEEP IT UP, we will report you to a mod or YCMaker and they will either BAN you or temporarly SUSPEND you from YCM. We hope that you all would quit spamming. Either you quit, or you get banned. We give you negs almost as a warning or a wake-up call.

Well let's put me in that position for a sec. You give me a neg rep as a wake up call or a warning. I look at my reps, and laugh at it. Then I go to spam more and say Lalalalal I <3 spamming. Then FINALLY, after a week of me spamming, I get a ban. If there was a temporary suspend module on this forum, We would be in tip-top shape.

Archived