Practical Superhero Costume Redesigns For Women

Just Crouton

http://epicstream.com/features/Practical-Superhero-Costume-Redesigns-For-Women

Artist Lord Ingvard created a marvel series of practical and functional redesigns for female superhero costumes  Here's what he had to say about the concept: 

"I love comics and superheroes as much as the next nerd, but the women’s costumes—sweet mother of Moses!—the COSTUMES. At the very least, highly impractical. And at worst, incredibly sexist. I mean, EXTREMELY so. Honestly, I don’t know why women haven’t been a lot more angry and vocal about this kind of thing over the years. Like “Ferguson riot” angry. Don’t get me wrong, I believe that expressing one’s sexuality is a natural, healthy thing, and certainly not something to be censured or shamed, but holly hammer of Thor, there’s a time and a place for everything! 

That being said, I just had to take a shot at addressing the most obvious problems. Now, I am not by any means an experienced or accomplished character designer. I am not suggesting these costume re-designs are ideal, or even very good. My main goal was to at least TRY to approach the subject of female superheroes with the degree of logic, equality, and respect they—and their readers—deserve."

armo1.jpg

armo2.jpg

armo3.jpg

armo4.jpg

armo5.jpg

armo6.jpg

armo7.jpg

armo8.jpg

armo9.jpg

tbh i like wonder woman's kingdom come armor more

I was willing to accept all of the redesigns...except Zatanna.
The modified costumes all have hints of the originals, and I like that they all play into the personalities and aspects of the characters, but Zatanna's original outfit is a female version of her FATHER'S magician attire, just with some female assistant mixed into it. He was a classic stage magician who was also a very powerful spellcaster in his own right, hence the top hat and tuxedo look.

So they decided to "modernize" Zatanna by turning her into a female Criss Angel? Really?

Look. Zatanna was great because, like all stage magicians, she had a commanding presence and excellent charisma that she wielded as well as a tool as she did her magic. She may have worn fishnet stockings with her top hat and tuxedo top, but she wore them like she was born in them.

She wasn't a "flat" character. She was confident and assured of herself and her powers.

However, making her a street magician as opposed to a stage magician ruins her backstory and that classiness and charm I mentioned. Street magicians don't really have that kind of power to captivate an audience as a stage magician does.

She doesn't look like she is ready to outsmart and outmaneuver her opponents with magic and sophistication. She looks like a Doctor Who fan that also loves anime.

Archived