[MtG] Gideon, Ajani

.Rai

Hmmm, my thoughts:

Gideon: Frankly not too big a fan of any of his abilities. The "return a permanent" ability seems to be kinda useless in what I assume would be the aggro-y archetype that would want this, although you can use it as pseudo-mana ramp (which I bet would be the best way to actually use it.) The second ability is red historically. See Invasion Plans - the attacking half of Master Warcraft, in comparison, is the white part. The 0 is boring, but what else would I expect from a Gideon?

Ajani: First ability's more potent than Ajani Steadfast's, which is already a pretty good one. That second ability, however, is really nice - it's my favorite of the six abilities so far. Ultimate seems fair, although once again it's really similar to Ajani Steadfast's.

Final evaluation: Ajani's serviceable, but uninspired. Gideon seems somewhat awkwardly constructed, and I'm not fond of the +2 being able to target lands.

Hmmm, my thoughts:

Gideon: Frankly not too big a fan of any of his abilities. The "return a permanent" ability seems to be kinda useless in what I assume would be the aggro-y archetype that would want this, although you can use it as pseudo-mana ramp (which I bet would be the best way to actually use it.) The second ability is red historically. See Invasion Plans - the attacking half of Master Warcraft, in comparison, is the white part. The 0 is boring, but what else would I expect from a Gideon?

Ajani: First ability's more potent than Ajani Steadfast's, which is already a pretty good one. That second ability, however, is really nice - it's my favorite of the six abilities so far. Ultimate seems fair, although once again it's really similar to Ajani Steadfast's.

Final evaluation: Ajani's serviceable, but uninspired. Gideon seems somewhat awkwardly constructed, and I'm not fond of the +2 being able to target lands.

Ajani's got some good feedback, so I think I'll lock him in as is. You're definitely not the only one who doesn't like Gideon at the moment. I think his +2 will go in favour of something else. His -3 is more red, but is still happily a white effect. Brutal Hordechief and Odric show this off.

Archived