[MtG] Vyn, Angelic Slayer

Forest Fire

TVF7X1i.png

Vyn, Angelic Slayer   {2}{b}{w}

Legendary Creature - Angel Warrior

Mythic Rare

Flying

Flying
When Vyn, Angelic Slayer fights another creature, you may discard a card; if you do, destroy that creature and put a Bane counter on Vyn.
When Vyn has 3 Bane counters on her, exile her and return her transformed under her owner's control.

2/4

Transforms into:

y6SZtKk.png

[+2]: Exile a target creature, then exile all permanents that share a color with it.
[-4]: Exile all cards in target players' graveyard, then exile any cards in play that share a name with any cards exiled this way.
[-11]: You get an emblem with "Spells that would enter the graveyard are exiled instead." and "Players cannot cast spells, except from their hand."

[4]

Backstory:

Vyn was a part of a group of angels that exacted divine vengeance on her home plane, but one day while fighting a particularly though fight, her spark ignited and transported her to Ravnica. While there she learned of the Orzhov Guild. She became determined to rule this guild, as it was over run with undead, some of the very scum she fought on her home plane. The thought in her mind was that if she could rule the Guild from the inside, it would be easier eradicate the undead vermin and purge the Guild of it's sin for working with such unholy beasts.

No offense, but this is pretty terrible. Having a planeswalker's entire schtick being focused around graveyard hate wouldn't happen: she'd be too powerful if printed in a graveyard-focused set and terrible outside of that. I understand that the transform!walkers are supposed to be lower powered on their transformed side, but Vyn takes the cake for high effort/low reward.

Let's start on the creature side. 5 mana for a 2/2 flier would only ever see play in something resembling control: no aggro deck would want this. Her ability only triggering on blocking means you'd never want to attack with her. Being able to kill the attacker before damage goes through is nice, as she basically turns every card in your hand into removal, but it's really the only good part about her. Your opponents will lose their best attacker if she's untapped, and they will instead find ways to kill her out of combat (which is pretty easy, as with 2 toughness she'll probably die to whatever common cheap burn spell is in your set) or out-aggro her. But what happens if you actually get her to flip?

Now, turn her over and look at that ultimate. Ultimates should put your likeliness at winning at 95% once resolved. Vyn's... just doesn't do anything. The first clause turns off flashback and suspend, and the second turns off delve. If you aren't playing against a deck that uses any of those mechanics, then why try to get there? Her -4 is the only ability of hers that I'd ever want to use, as at least forcing discard hampers an opponent no matter what they're playing, but it's still exceptionally weak. Her +2 does virtually nothing.

Plus, I don't like how I keep reading her name as Vryn (Jace's home plane).

tl;dr - Vyn encourages board stalling but doesn't actually do anything when that happens, and if you do get her to flip, you have a planeswalker that's garbage in all but a few environments. I'd highly suggest reworking her mechanical theme.

No offense, but this is pretty terrible. Having a planeswalker's entire schtick being focused around graveyard hate wouldn't happen: she'd be too powerful if printed in a graveyard-focused set and terrible outside of that. I understand that the transform!walkers are supposed to be lower powered on their transformed side, but Vyn takes the cake for high effort/low reward.

nah it's fine. i totally see what you mean.

Let's start on the creature side. 5 mana for a 2/2 flier would only ever see play in something resembling control: no aggro deck would want this. Her ability only triggering on blocking means you'd never want to attack with her. Being able to kill the attacker before damage goes through is nice, as she basically turns every card in your hand into removal, but it's really the only good part about her. Your opponents will lose their best attacker if she's untapped, and they will instead find ways to kill her out of combat (which is pretty easy, as with 2 toughness she'll probably die to whatever common cheap burn spell is in your set) or out-aggro her.

I could lower cost by 1-2 and raise her toughness to 3 or 4.

But what happens if you actually get her to flip?

Now, turn her over and look at that ultimate. Ultimates should put your likeliness at winning at 95% once resolved. Vyn's... just doesn't do anything. The first clause turns off flashback and suspend, and the second turns off delve. If you aren't playing against a deck that uses any of those mechanics, then why try to get there?

as well as unearth, rebound, and scavenge.

Her -4 is the only ability of hers that I'd ever want to use, as at least forcing discard hampers an opponent no matter what they're playing, but it's still exceptionally weak.

Even with the exile bit? cause that's probably gonna be a couple cards there.

Her +2 does virtually nothing.

... hmm... idk really

Plus, I don't like how I keep reading her name as Vryn (Jace's home plane).

So that's where it popped into my head from.....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived