Muscular and Mean! "Mightmare" Archetype [WRITTEN]

NobodySovereign

So, I wanted to try and do something a bit different from other archetypes I've done before, which mostly dealt with fairies (Lunarlux), Demons (Fallen), and Dragons (Dragarmor, Ryusei, and a couple others I can't recall by name). Here's my attempt at throwing together some ragin' Warriors with some bad attitudes and a mob mentality.

The obvious thing here is that you're trying to get out one of your Extra Deck monsters. Most of the time you'll want to go into "Universe" since he's not going to wipe your field and, for two turns at least, is a direct 2000 to your opponent, but if you have a "Rage Up Beefy Muscle Force" on the field, you can safely bring out Rager and go for game.

I'd really appreciate some CnC with these guys because I stepped away from the stuff that I know and I'm hoping I did pretty well.

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters]

Mightmare Kickbox

4/DARK/Warrior/Effect/1500/700

Once per turn, during either player's Battle Phase: You can discard 1 "Mightmare" monster, and if you do, increase the ATK of this card by half of the ATK of the discarded monster's ATK. While you control another "Mightmare" monster: If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing battle damage to your opponent.

Mightmare Trackrunner

4/DARK/Warrior/Tuner/1000/1500

Once per turn, during your Main Phase 1: You can discard 1 "Mightmare" monster, then add 1 "Mightmare" Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand. While you control another "Mightmare" monster: This card can attack your opponent's Life Points directly.

Mightmare Jukendo

4/DARK/Warrior/Effect/1300/1500

Once per turn, during either player's Main Phase 1: You can discard 1 "Mightmare" monster, and if you do, this monster cannot be destroyed by battle until your next End Phase. While you control another "Mightmare" monster: This card can attack twice during each of your Battle Phases.

Mightmare Goalkicker

4/DARK/Warrior/Effect/1500/1200

Once per turn, during your opponent's Standby Phase: You can discard 1 "Mightmare" monster, and if you do, your opponent must Set Spell Cards before activating them this turn. While you control another "Mightmare" monster: You can pay 800 Life Points and target 1 Set Spell/Trap card; destroy that target. You can only activate this effect of "Mightmare Goalkicker" once per turn.

Mightmare Heavylifter

4/DARK/Warrior/Effect/1500/1000

Once per turn, during your Main Phase 1: You can pay 1000 Life points; Special Summon 1 "Mightmare" monster from your Graveyard in Defense Position. While you control another "Mightmare" monster: This card gains 500 ATK and DEF.

Mightmare Rollerfence

4/DARK/Warrior/Tuner/1200/1500

During your Main Phase 1, while your opponent controls 2 or more monsters: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. While you control another "Mightmare" monster: You can shuffle this card into your Deck, and if you do, Special Summon 1 "Mightmare" monster from your hand with an ATK less than or equal to this card.

[spoiler=Extra Deck]

Mightmare Universe

Rank 4/DARK/Warrior/Xyz/Effect/2000/1500

2 Level 4 "Mightmare" monsters

Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material, then target 1 "Mightmare" monster you control; this turn, that target can attack your opponent directly, also other monsters you control cannot attack. While you control another "Mightmare" monster: Your opponent cannot target this card for an attack.

Mightmare Rager

8/DARK/Warrior/Synchro/Effect/2700/1500

1 DARK Tuner + 1 or more "Mightmare" monsters

When this card is Synchro Summoned: Destroy all other monsters on the field, also, this turn, this card cannot attack. While you control another "Mightmare" monster: You can target 1 "Mightmare" monster you control and 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy both targets.

[spoiler=Spells]

MIghtmare Enhancement

Quick-Play Spell Card

Target 1 "Mightmare" monster you control: It gains 1000 ATK and cannot be destroyed by battle this turn, also, destroy that target during your End Phase.

Mightmare Training Gym

Field Spell Card

Each time a "Mightmare" monster would be discarded to the Graveyard, you can shuffle it into the Deck instead, and if you do, place a Beefy Counter onto this card. When this card would be destroyed: You can remove 2 Beefy Counters from this card instead. "Mightmare" monsters you control gain 100 ATK and DEF for each Beefy Counter on this card.

Mightmare Gang Up!

Normal Spell Card

Reveal any number of "Mightmare" monsters in your hand: Shuffle those revealed cards into your Deck, then, draw the cards equal to the number of cards you shuffled into the Deck + 1. You can only activate 1 "Mightmare Gang Up!" per turn.

Mightmare Locker Room

Continuous Spell Card

Whenever a "Mightmare" monster card is shuffled into your Deck: Place 1 Beefy Counter on this card. Once per turn: You can remove 3 Beefy Counters from this card; Special Summon 1 "Mightmare" monster from your hand.

[spoiler=Traps]

Rage Up Beefy Muscle Force

Normal Trap

When an effect would destroy a "Mightmare" monster(s) you control: Discard 1 card and target 1 "Mightmare" monster you control; that monster(s) is not destroyed, also, that target gains 500 ATK.

Dodge Those Charges!

Normal Trap

When a "Mightmare" monster you control is targeted by one of your opponent's card effects: Target that card and 2 "Mightmare" monsters in your Graveyard; shuffle that first target into your Deck and add those cards from your Graveyard to your Hand.

Mightmare Up-and-Comer

Continuous Trap

During either player's Main Phase: Special Summon this card as a Normal Monster (Warrior-Type/DARK/Level 4/ATK 1500/DEF 1500). (This card is also still a Trap Card.) You can Tribute this card: Special Summon 1 "Mightmare" monster from your hand. While this card is in the Graveyard: This card is treated as a Normal Monster card.

These guys look pretty good so far, but for what you're trying to do with them, they need more swarm power than just Heavylifter and Locker Room.

The Spells also have a weird sub-theme of shuffling Mightmares into the Deck, which isn't sufficiently spread out to really be worth it. Training Gym needs another benefit to make it at all worth it, even if it's just an ATK boost. Locker Room needs too many Beefy Counters to activate its effect, not to mention that it's based on the whole shuffling thing, which is facilitated by exactly two cards. I would suggest either expanding on the shuffling theme or reducing the number of Beefy Counters needed. Or both, in fact. Finally, Enhancement is almost entirely outclassed by Ego Boost. It needs some other benefit to it, something that would justify the affected monster getting destroyed at the end of the turn. I do like Gang Up!, though. It's a good draw card.

Everything else looks good, though, and I like where you're going with them. Keep up the good work so far!

So, I've added a couple of things since you mentioned that the Shuffling thing seemed a bit odd:

- "Dodge Those Charges!" is now like an "Aquamirror Cycle" for the Archetype.

- "Mightmare Up-and-Comer" is a Trap Monster who can Tribute itself to SS a Mightmare from your hand and is now Searchable through Trackrunner. You can even Shuffle it back in with "Dodge".

- "Mightmare Rollerfence" can shuffle itself into the Deck to SS out another Mightmare from your hand, thus putting Beefy Counters on cards and allowing you to bring out either Trackrunner or Jukendo.

Now, onto other stuff:

- "Enhancement" now offers Battle Indestructibility. And it's now a Quick-Play, so it's an optional response to your opponent's mid-to-high threat monsters.

- "Locker Room" now only needs 3 Beefy Counters removed to activate its effect.

So: did this fix the problems?

Archived