Experimental Portal (written)

heraldry_lord

This is pretty bad. I'd make cost 1 or 2 mana if you want to keep the basic land restriction, and even then, it wouldn't be very playable. The fact that this can search up nonbasics would make it at least see fringe play.

This was the original version:

Experimental Portal

Mana Cost: {4}

Artifact

{2}, {T}, Sacrifice a land: Search your library for a land card with a different name from the sacrificed land and put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

If you think that's OK, or if you have any suggestions on balancing that, I'm open to them.

It's a tricky situation since being able to search nonbasics makes it really good, while making it so that it can only search basics would make it very bad.

An interesting solution might be:

5, T, Sacrifice a nonbasic land: Search your library for two basic land cards and put them onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.

Now it's like a repeatable, expensive Explosive Vegetation that requires chewing up nonbasics (requiring putting a balance of basics and nonbasics in the deck). 5 might be too much mana, but it IS on an artifact, so I'd rather be cautious.

Archived