Ingredients on Food Packaging

altemon

Argument: Should ingredients on food packaging be stated in ways that normal people can understand?

Example: Budget Bread

Wheat flour, water, wheat bran (6%), yeast, salt, vegetable oil, soy flour, emulsifiers (471, 481), acidity regulator (263).

In bold are things that I can't understand without looking them up.

Normal rules apply.

Discuss.

Well look at China in soy sause they have human hair and in something else some human fices. so they could get away with it.

owl_orly.png

sry couldn't resist.

Anyway yes because not all people are nutrition experts or scientist's that could understand some of the ingredients they post so if they could post it in "normal english" then it's helpful for people who have allergies. Again they might not have "normal english" name's so they can be used.

Well look at China in soy sause they have human hair and in something else some human fices. so they could get away with it.

owl_orly.png

sry couldn't resist.

Anyway yes because not all people are nutrition experts or scientist's that could understand some of the ingredients they post so if they could post it in "normal english" then it's helpful for people who have allergies. Again they might not have "normal english" name's so they can be used.

YarRly.jpg[/img]

Yeah it's fun

But thankyou

@ Altemon

How? how can i it was on the news like 5-6 weeks ago. I remember people having said that it included human hair so we through the Soy sauce away. so we did not want it anymore.

learn your preserves and chemical regulators, wash your fresh greens, and NEVER eat anything that was grown with DDT pesticide if you like being fertile. you should know what your eating, and the internet can help with that. they DO NOT need to explain to you what each emulsifier is, because most people don't care, and if you do, find out on the interwebs yourself.

Diamond Dude Turbo made a pesticide (lol)

as the age-old saying goes:

Everyone knows' date=' if you don't know what it is, don't eat it. [/quote']

Shop at Trader Joe's. They have the best everything. No preservatives, no (bad) chemicals. Just plain and simple 100%. You can get chocolate covered peanuts with the ingredients only 2 or 3 lines long. In-N-Out uses fresh grown everything. Avoid Costco and McDonald's-type places if you want fresh organic food.

While agreeing that this isn't the best debate I've seen on this forum, it does provide me with a chance to vent about something that I encounter on an almost daily basis. That being that for some reason that I do not know the FDA allows a fairly notable exception to their ingredient listings on foods to go pretty much unchecked. If you look through the food in your house I am betting you will find at least one item that has "Spices" in it. Now for the majority of you this is not a huge deal, but consider for a momment, that you/your spouse/loved one/kid/whatever happens to be allergic to cinnamon and then consider that roughly 50% of the time cinnamon is included in this "Spices" catagory instead of having the individual "Spices" written out and you see where I am coming from on this point. My wife has a severe allergy to cinnamon so I am almost in a constant state of label reading to make my best effort to ensure that no cinnamon enters our house. In the course of her life there have been several hospital trips due to someone(not me...yet) giving her food that did not have cinnamon listed in the ingredients but did have cinnamon in the actual product and listed it as "Spices."

While not as common a severe allergy ingredient as something like peanuts, this still something that could easily be avoided if this particular exception to FDA regulations didn't exist. Therefore, I submit that all ingredients should be listed on food packaging. As Static previously mentioned, with the ease of locating information of this type on the itnernet I do not see a point to 'dumbing down' labels. I just see a point to making them complete.

Thanks, Enigma. Draco, I find calling me unintelligent not only offensive but incorrect. Please change your post, and maybe lay off on the insults. Vent your anger somewhere else. Also, if this debate wasn't good enough, YCMaker wouldn't have accepted it.

You said they need to be stated in ways normal civilians can understand? Do you want them to write an article on the side of every box explaining exactly what Blue Lake is?

Btw, my Elementary School Principle was allergic to Red 3, I think. One of the Reds.

Thanks' date=' Enigma. Draco, I find calling me unintelligent not only offensive but incorrect. Please change your post, and maybe lay off on the insults. Vent your anger somewhere else. Also, if this debate wasn't good enough, YCMaker wouldn't have accepted it.

[/quote']

Though Enigma's post was very heartfelt and touching, it did not add much to either side of the debate at hand.

When you take chemistry, you will understand that an Acidity regulator regulates, reduces acids in bread products. They are the opposites of Acids, bases.

Now, Have you ever made pancakes at home? You put acidity regulators in them when you make them. There called Baking soda and Baking Powder. Baking powder is the more icky tasting one.

• 1 month later...

Argument: Should ingredients on food packaging be stated in ways that normal people can understand?

Example: Budget Bread

Wheat flour' date=' water, wheat bran (6%), yeast, salt, vegetable oil, soy flour, [b']emulsifiers (471, 481), acidity regulator (263).[/b]

In bold are things that I can't understand without looking them up.

Normal rules apply.

Discuss.

They're obviously Preservatives. Just to make it last longer.

Archived