Alara legendaries (written)

heraldry_lord

Blue = Esper

Black = Grixis

Orange = Bant

NB.  These are all actual entities in the lore, but they didn't get their own cards, which is what this thread is about.

Codex Etherium
Mana Cost: {W}{U}{B}
Legendary Artifact

At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control another artifact, you may put a charge counter on Codex Etherium.

Remove X charge counters from Codex Etherium, {T}: Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn. If that creature would die this turn, exile it instead.

Filigree Texts

Mana Cost: {1}{W}{U}{B}

Legendary Artifact

You have no maximum hand size.

Tap another untapped artifact you control, {T}: Put a lore counter on Filigree Texts.

{T}, Remove X lore counters from Filigree Texts: Draw X cards and gain X life.

Crucius, Etherium Progenitor

Mana Cost: {3}{W}{U}{B}

Planeswalker - Crucius

Loyalty: {5}

+2: Target nonartifact permanent becomes an artifact in addition to its other types. Its controller loses life equal to its converted mana cost.

-X: Target artifact creature gets +X/+X, or -X/-X, and deathtouch until end of turn.

-8: You get an emblem with "All permanents are artifacts in addition to their other types." and "Artifacts you control are indestructible."

Eliza of the Keep
Mana Cost: {1}{U}{B}{R}
Power/Toughness: 2/4
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard

Each unearth ability of a creature in your graveyard costs {2} less to activate.

Whenever a creature with unearth you control is exiled, put that card from exile into its owner's graveyard.

{2}{U}{B}{R}, Sacrifice a creature: Gain control of target permanent.

Necropolis of Unx
Legendary Land

Necropolis of Unx enters the battlefield tapped.

Each creature without unearth in your graveyard has unearth. That creature's unearth cost is equal to its mana cost. (Creatures in your graveyard that already have unearth aren't affected by this ability.)

{T}: Add {C} to your mana pool.

{T}: Add {U}, {B} or {R} to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to activate the abilities of creatures in your graveyard.

Lisha of the Azure
Mana Cost: {2}{G}{W}{U}
Power/Toughness: 3/4
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue

Hexproof

Whenever one or more creatures you control deal combat damage to a player, draw a card.

Whenever you draw one or more cards, put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.

Aran, Squire of Virtue

Mana Cost: {1}{W}

Power/Toughness: 1/2

Legendary Creature - Human Knight

When Aran, Squire of Virtue dies, you may choose one --

Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.

Put a loyalty counter on target planeswalker.

Remove three loyalty counters from a planeswalker you control or three +1/+1 counters from a creature you control: Return Aran, Squire of Virtue from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.

Sword of Asha

Mana Cost: {G}{W}{U}

Legendary Artifact - Equipment

Exalted (Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, that creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)

Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and vigilance.

Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a black creature, exile that black creature.

Equip {2}

Cathedral of Bliss
Legendary Land

Hexproof

{T}: Add {W} to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast Angel creature spells or activate the abilities of Angels you control.

{2}{G}{W}{U}, {T}, Sacrifice Cathedral of Bliss: Put a 4/4 white Angel creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

Blue = Esper

Black = Grixis

Orange = Bant

NB.  These are all actual entities in the lore, but they didn't get their own cards, which is what this thread is about.

Codex Etherium

Mana Cost: {W}{U}{B}

Legendary Artifact

At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control another artifact, you may put a charge counter on Codex Etherium.

{T}, Remove X charge counters from Codex Etherium: Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn. If that creature would die this turn, exile it instead.

Or at least I HOPE that's until end of turn. Otherwise it should put X -1/-1 counters on that creature. As for the "if dying, exile instead", those type of abilities are rarely permanent due to memory issues.

Filigree Texts

Mana Cost: {1}{W}{U}{B}

Legendary Artifact

You have no maximum hand size.

{T}, Tap another untapped artifact you control: Put a lore counter on Filigree Texts.

{T}, Remove X lore counters from Filigree Texts: Draw X cards and gain X life.

Seems good.

Crucius, Etherium Progenitor

Mana Cost: {3}{W}{U}{B}

Artifact Planeswalker - Crucius

Loyalty: {5}

Indestructible (Indestructible would be in the first box anyway)

+2: Target nonartifact permanent becomes an artifact in addition to its other types. Its controller loses life equal to its converted mana cost.

-X: Target artifact creature gets +X/+X or -X/-X until end of turn. That creature gains deathtouch until end of turn.

-8: You get an emblem with "All permanents are artifacts in addition to their other types." and "Artifacts you control are indestructible."

Mechanically, artifact planeswalker is "fine", but given that it would get all the artifact support (including Tinker and transmute artifact), WotC would never print an artifact planeswalker. Additionally, being indestructible would get rid of much of the power of artifact-hate on it.

An indestructible planeswalker still goes to the graveyard if it has no loyalty since that doesn't "destroy" the planeswalker. Overall,  I would get rid of the artifact typing and indestructible since both are either pointless at worst and dangerous design at best.

Also, why Crucius even a planeswalker? If not, this should probably be remade into a legendary creature somehow.

Eliza of the Keep

Mana Cost: {1}{U}{B}{R}

Power/Toughness: 2/4

Legendary Creature - Human Wizard

Each unearth ability of a creature in your graveyard costs {2} less to activate.

Whenever a creature with unearth you control is exiled, put that card from exile into its owner's graveyard. I'm concerned that the previous wording may have some unintended wonky rulings with Unearth's own replacement effect and such.

{2}{U}{B}{R}, Sacrifice a creature: Gain control of target permanent.

This is probably fine.

Necropolis of Unx

Legendary Land

Necropolis of Unx enters the battlefield tapped.

Each creature without unearth in your graveyard has unearth. That creature's unearth cost is equal to its mana cost. (Creatures in your graveyard that already have unearth aren't affected by this ability.)

{T}: Add {C} to your mana pool.

{T}: Add {U}, {B} or {R} to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to activate the abilities of creatures in your graveyard.

Sure.

Lisha of the Azure

Mana Cost: {2}{G}{W}{U}

Power/Toughness: 3/4

Legendary Creature - Human Rogue

Hexproof

Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, draw a card.

Whenever you draw one or more cards, put a +1/+1 counter on each other creature you control.

You may not realize this, but triggers that happen at the same time don't "resolve together" and are still separate events. As such, each of those "draw a card" triggers from the first ability will trigger the second ability separately, i.e. if three of your creatures deal combat damage to a player, the stack will work like this, with "1" triggers representing the first ability and "2" triggers representing the second ability:

1. triggers 1A, 1B, and 1C go on stack in that order. 1C resolves first, drawing a card. Since you drew a card, 2C triggers, making the stack 1A, 1B, 2C. 2C resolves, army-pumping. 1B resolves, draw a card. Since you drew a card, 2B triggers, making the stack 1A and 2B. 2B resolves, army-pumping. Then 1A resolves, drawing a card. 2A triggers, making the stack 2A. 2A resolves, army-pumping.

All in all, you'll draw three cards and each of your other creatures will get THREE +1/+1 counters. If that is what you wanted to have happen, cool, but the wording on the second ability makes me unsure of your intention.

Aran, Squire of Virtue

Mana Cost: {1}{W}

Power/Toughness: 1/2

Legendary Creature - Human Knight

When Aran, Squire of Virtue dies, choose one --

• You may put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.

• You may put a loyalty counter on target planeswalker.

Remove three loyalty counters from a planeswalker you control or three +1/+1 counters from a creature you control: Return Aran, Squire of Virtue from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.

Your first wording meant it would require both a creature AND a planeswalker target, otherwise it wouldn't trigger at all. The choose wording "locks" in your choice, but it also means you need only one target. Card seems pretty cool, though.

Sword of Asha

Mana Cost: {G}{W}{U}

Legendary Artifact - Equipment

Exalted (Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, that creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)

Equipped creature gets +2/+2 and vigilance.

Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a black creature, exile that black creature.

Equip {2}

Seems decent.

Cathedral of Bliss

Legendary Land

Hexproof

{T}: Add {W} to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast Angel creature spells or activate the abilities of Angels you control.

{2}{G}{W}{U}, {T}: Put a 4/4 white Angel creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

Being able to produce flying angels from an uncounterable, untargetable card is VERY worrisome.

Re: Crucius, I read somewhere that he might have been a planeswalker, which is why I made him one.

Re: Lisha, I'm aware of the separate triggers, but I wasn't sure of the wording for preventing all but 1 of the draws from multiple attacks from triggering her third ability at the time, so I settled for that.  I made a change that may more accurately reflect what I originally intended.

Re: Cathedral, I took a chance with that one (and the hexproof is a flavour thing), but I'm aware of how potent it can be. I'm keeping the hexproof, but I gave the Angel spawn ability the added cost of sac'ing Cathedral.

Everything else I pretty much agree with and will make the necessary changes.

Archived