3 Interdimensional Dragon, Warp-Drive Dragon
2 Interdimensional Dragon, Chronoscommand Revolution
1 Air Element, Sebreeze
1 Interdimensional Beast, Metallica Phoenix
1 Interdimensional Dragon, Chronoscommand Dragon

~
4 Retroactive Time Maiden, Uluru
[ 12 Strides / 4 G-Guardians ]

With Fighter's Collection 2016 being right around the corner and the (in my opinion) incredibly good new rule change on the G-Zone size change, it's time to revisit one of the once top decks again to see how it gets changed by all of it's upcoming releases: Gear Chronicle. The deck was once really strong and a lot of the cards in this deck haven't been changed due to the core already being solid. What we're going to talk about today is how this deck has changed since it fell out of favour and how the changes that have happened to it may be enough to push the deck back into relevancy again.

Here are the new additions to the deck, with explanations as to why these additions make the deck better attached to them:
  • Steam Maiden, Kuluracina: She is another one of the tech Grade 1s that you can fetch off of Upstream in order to get a lot of value, however her "value" isn't as immediate as the rest of the cards in your Grade 1 line-up. She restacks your deck with triggers that you had to throw in the bin to guard with early, or just heals so that you're able to more reliably trigger your G-Guardian. She doesn't have Gen Break, so playing her down early to put something back in that you had to early guard / you early healed is fine and you won't miss out on anything. She also makes it so that you never lose out on your tech Grade 1s, as she is able to put them back into the deck so that you can recall them with the next Time Leap skill. Generally very solid card, the fact that it's able to be fetched by Upstream Dragon makes her worth playing in my opinion.
  • Interdimensional Dragon, Warp-Drive Dragon: Warp-Drive is able to give you your perfect board by setting it up naturally with Phoenix in games that you don't need to use Chronoscommand Revolution (ie Granblue or Pale Moon) so it's definitely a very welcome addition to the roster. Chronodragon Nextage got weaker due to the introduction of G-Guardians being able to easily block off Chronojet Dragon with a single card, so Warp-Drive is an alternative Vanguard to go into to try and force them to drop lots of cards for the next turn when Chronojet can get through more easily. Also Warp-Drive has the potential to proc A LOT of different effects due to the nature of all the Grade 1s / Grade 2s we're playing. Just generally very good.
  • Air Elemental, Sebreeze: This card is a natural counter to a lot of Grade 2 decks that don't want to ride up to 3 for a deck like Gear Chronicle where all of their cards are locked behind Gen Break. If your opponent lets you resolve Sebreeze against them in Gear Chronicle, I want to iterate that there is a very good chance that you probably just win at that moment. Chronojet will be able to start staving off their pressure, while the naturally cheap nature of Time Leap will enable you to get multiple attacks off while generating advantage at the same time. Kuluracina also makes this card a lot better, as it makes it so that your opponent may want to put a card back and give you resources back. Very strong card for Gear Chronicle in particular.
  • Retroactive Time Maiden, Uluru: The G-Guardian for Gear Chronicle is and very well may remain the best G-Guardian that any clan will get upon initial introduction. The ability to shuffle back your tech cards and your triggers at the same time while getting a 20000 Shield that enables you for GB2 Nextage next turn is pretty amazing for a deck like this, considering how the only real recycling they have is in the form of Kuluracina. It's a very simple effect, but in the completely right deck as Gear Chronicle love how much she can skew their deck.
Thoughts/comments would be appreciated. This was a big thing that I was considering during my hiatus as Gear Chronicle have enough strong match-up dependant strides to make the 16 G-Zone rule easily one of the best things to ever happen to them, since they're now capable of answering a hell of a lot of different boards by just striding.

(Also another thing to note really quick, I did consider potentially playing 1 Pokkur and 1 Agleam over a Kalibum and a G-Uluru, but concluded that I didn't feel that Chaos was relevant enough to be metagaming for. However, if you do feel that this match-up is worth creating space for, then by all means you can go ahead and make the changes I just listed.)

Archived