Tundragon Archetype (14/14)

Atypical-Abbie

Tundragon is an Archetype of Dragon-Type/WATER Level 3, 8 and 11 monsters. They focus on Synchro Summoning and excavating cards, along with top Deck manipulation. The Level 3 monsters have three effects, one that allows you to change the order of the top 5 cards of your Deck when they are sent from your Deck to the Graveyard, one that allows you to excavate the top 3 cards of your Deck, then Special Summon 1 Level 8 Tundragon monster, which you then Synchro Summon with, and lastly one that returns themselves from your hand to the top of your Deck for various effects. The Level 8s are able to send themselves and another Tundragon card in your hand or side of the field to the Graveyard for various effects, and banish themselves from your Graveyard to return a Tundragon from your Graveyard to the top of your Deck. Along with that, thy have Level 11 Synchro Monsters, which act as the boss monsters, and Spell/Trap Card support. The name is a portmanteau of Tundra and Dragon, also I just noticed and unintentional pun in "Tun", since it's similar to "Tuner".

Main Deck Monsters:

Darrid the Truthful Tundragon
Dragon-Type/WATER/Tuner
Level 3
If this card is sent from your Deck to the Graveyard: You can excavate the top 5 cards in your Deck, then place them on top of your Deck in any order. You can only use 1 of the these effects of "Darrid the Truthful Tundragon" per turn, and only once that turn.
● When this card is Normal Summoned or Special Summoned: You can excavate the top 3 cards of your Deck, Special Summon 1 excavated Level 8 "Tundragon" monster, also send the rest of the cards to the Graveyard. Immediately after this effect resolves, Synchro Summon 1 Synchro Monster using this card and that monster only.
● If this card is in your hand: You can Special Summon 1 "Tundragon" monster from your hand, except "Darrid   the Truthful Tundragon", and if you do, place this card on top of your Deck.
1300/1300

Vano the Spirited Tundragon
Dragon-Type/WATER/Tuner
Level 3
If this card is sent from your Deck to the Graveyard: You can excavate the top 5 cards in your Deck, then place them on top of your Deck in any order. You can only use 1 of the these effects of "Vano the Spirited Tundragon" per turn, and only once that turn.
● When this card is Normal Summoned or Special Summoned: You can excavate the top 3 cards of your Deck, Special Summon 1 excavated Level 8 "Tundragon" monster, also send the rest of the cards to the Graveyard. Immediately after this effect resolves, Synchro Summon 1 Synchro Monster using this card and that monster only.
● If this card is in your hand: You can excavate the top 5 cards of your Deck, add 1 excavated "Tundragon" card to your hand, also send the rest to the Graveyard, and if you do, place this card on top of your Deck.
1500/1100

Yunaku the Ambitious Tundragon
Dragon-Type/WATER/Tuner
Level 3
If this card is sent from your Deck to the Graveyard: You can excavate the top 5 cards in your Deck, then place them on top of your Deck in any order. You can only use 1 of the these effects of "Yunaku the Ambitious Tundragon" per turn, and only once that turn.
● If this card is in your hand: You can target 1 "Tundragon" card in your Graveyard, except "Yunaku the Ambitious Tundragon"; add that target to your hand, and if you do, place this card on top of your Deck.
1000/1600

Kutai the Believer Tundragon
Dragon-Type/WATER/Tuner
Level 3
If this card is sent from your Deck to the Graveyard: You can excavate the top 5 cards in your Deck, then place them on top of your Deck in any order. You can only use 1 of the these effects of "Kutai the Believer Tundragon" per turn, and only once that turn.

● If this card is in your hand: You can target 1 "Tundragon" monster in your Graveyard; banish that target, and if you do, place this card on top of your Deck. During your next Standby Phase after this effect's activation, Special Summon that target.

1400/1200

Duragan the Fierce Tundragon
Dragon-Type/WATER
Level 8
You can send this card and 1 other "Tundragon" card from your hand and/or side of the field to the Graveyard, then target 1 Level 3 "Tundragon" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target. You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 "Tundragon" card in your Graveyard; place it on top your Deck. You can only use 1 effect of "Duragan the Fierce Tundragon" per turn, and only once that turn.
2500/2300

Tatari the Relentless Tundragon
Dragon-Type/WATER  
Level 8
You can send this card and 1 other "Tundragon" card from your hand and/or side of the field to the Graveyard; draw 3 cards, then place 2 cards from your hand on top of your Deck. You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 "Tundragon" card in your Graveyard; place it on top your Deck. You can only use 1 effect of "Tatari the Relentless Tundragon" per turn, and only once that turn.
2600/2100

Harlan the Bold Tundragon
Dragon-Type/WATER  
Level 8
You can send this card and 1 other "Tundragon" card from your hand or side of the field to the Graveyard; Special Summon 2 "Tundragon Tokens" (Dragon-Type/WATER/Level 4/ATK 1000/DEF 1000). You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 "Tundragon" card in your Graveyard; place it on top your Deck. You can only use 1 effect of "Tatari the Relentless Tundragon" per turn, and only once that turn.
2300/2800  

Dukan the Defender Tundragon
Dragon-Type/WATER
Level 8

During either player's turn, when your opponent activates a card or effect: You can send this card and 1 other "Tundragon" card from your hand or side of the field to the Graveyard; negate the activation, and if you do, banish that card. You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 "Tundragon" card in your Graveyard; place it on top your Deck. You can only use 1 effect of "Dukan the Defender Tundragon" per turn, and only once that turn.

2700/1700

Extra Deck Monsters:

Tanabar the Powerful Tundragon
Dragon-Type/WATER/Synchro
Level 11
1 Tuner + 1 non-Tuner Level 8 Dragon-Type monster
When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can destroy 1 face-up card your opponent controls. Your opponent cannot banish monsters you control or in your Graveyard. If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can excavate the top 3 cards of your Deck, Special Summon 1 excavated "Tundragon" monster, also send the rest to the Graveyard.
3200/2400

Olam the Fearless Tundragon
Level 11
When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can destroy 1 face-down card your opponent controls. Once per turn, if a card(s) is sent from your Deck to the Graveyard: This card gains 500 ATK and DEF until the end of this turn. Once per turn: You can excavate the top card of your Deck, if is a "Tundragon" card, add it to your hand. Otherwise, send it to the Graveyard.
3000/2500

Mikara the Master Tundragon
Level 11
When this card is Synchro Summoned: You can discard 1 random card from your opponent's hand. If a "Tundragon" monster battles, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. Once per turn: You can target 1 of your banished "Tundragon" cards; return that target to your hand.
3100/2200

Spell/Trap Cards:

Plains of the Tundragon
Field Spell Card
When this card is activated: You can excavate the top 3 cards of your Deck, Special Summon 1 excavated Level 3 "Tundragon" monster, also send the rest to the Graveyard. While you control a Dragon-Type Synchro Monster, your opponent cannot target the "Tundragon" monster you control with the lowest ATK for an attack or effects. You can only activate 1 "Plains of the Tundragon" per turn.

Blizzard of the Tundragon
Normal Trap Card

If you control a Dragon-Type Synchro Monster; excavate the top 3 cards of your Deck, return cards your opponent control to the hand up the number of excavated "Tundragon" cards, also send the cards to the Graveyard. During your turn, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: You can banish it from your Graveyard, then target 1 of your banished "Tundragon" Level 8 monsters; Special Summon that target.

Sculpture of the Tundragon

Normal Trap Card

Target 1 Dragon-Type Synchro Monster you control; return that target into the Extra Deck, and if you do, Special Summon 1 Dragon-Type Synchro Monster with the same Level as that target from your Extra Deck, but with a different name (this Special Summon is treated as a Synchro Summon). During either player's turn, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: You can banish 1 other "Tundragon" card from your Graveyard; Special Summon this card from your Graveyard as a Normal Monster (Dragon-Type/WATER/Level 8/ATK 2000/DEF 2000). During your End Phase, unless you control a Dragon-Type Synchro Monster, destroy this card.

Darrid the Truthful Tundragon: Like with all the level 3 tuners I love that this makes you have to constantly manage your deck order in order for you to play it effectively. It feels like it has a much higher skill level than our current meta, but it can still compete with our meta as it is right now. Something to note, you should probably add something like, "reveal this card from your hand, then..." as that's how you'd actually want to phrase it. The immediate summoning of a synchro monster seems unneccesary, you could add the clause that you can immediately synchro summon if you so choose, so that you can do it during your opponent's turn, but that's just me. Special Summoning 1 from the hand is nice, solid way to get your level 8 Tundragons to the field.

Vano the Spirited Tundragon: Adding any Tundragon to your hand is great, love it, works well as a searcher that stays true to the archetype's quirks.

Yunaku the Ambitious Tundragon: Great for recovering resources and Synchro co-co-co-combos.

Duragan the Fierce Tundragon: you accidentally repeated '1 other "Tundragon" card' at the beginning. The revival effect is pretty good, with good comboing you could make two synchro plays in one turn with this I think. The banish effect which I've noted with your other level 8 Dragons is also pretty good, and the HOPT is nice so you can't abuse it.

Tatari the Relentless Tundragon: The draw 3 seems a bit overpowered, even if you're going minus 1. Maybe if you made it draw 2, then place 1 card from your hand on top of your deck it might be more fair. You can keep it as is, just my thoughts on it.

Harlan the Bold Tundragon: Okay, the tokens make sense from a standpoint of using both of them along with a tuner to summon a your synchro, but I feel like the cost should just be milling cards from your deck and sending this card from your hand to the Graveyard or something.

Tanabar the Powerful Tundragon: Non targeting destruction upon summoning is always great, the banishing protection is also quite nice whether its against Monarchs or Kozmojo. The battle effect is nice too, getting more Tundragons to the field to possibly make another Synchro Summon and destroy another card.

Olam the Fearless Tundragon: Honestly, this card feels a bit pointless, if you wanted to make a better distinction between them I think it might be better to make it so this card can destroy spells/traps, while Tanabar destroys monsters. In fact, why not make it banish spells/traps honestly? Even spells and traps float nowadays, so banishing would prevent this, and since its level 11, it'd make sense for it to have this much power. The 500 ATK boost is nice to power over some thing, and adding a Tundragon to the hand is great, but that 3000 base attack just screams to me Dark Destroyer crash. I'd make it a permanent boost just so that can't happen, or at least make it so it possibly works as a defensive counterpart, with a 2700/3300 spread or something, just for the sole sake of preventing Dark Destroyer crashes, as they're the bane of my existance.

Plains of the Tundragon: Decent field spell that helps promote the archetype. The protection for only the weakest monsters on your field seems uneccesary, I honestly think it's be better if it had an effect that protected your weak monsters from attacks, while protecting your Lv 8's and Synchro monsters from effects. Maybe you could make it so you can aactivate this card if it's milled or something, just so it can go along with the archetype, just a small suggestion.

Blizzard of the Tundragon: This card is really powerful, I'm glad you made it a trap that requires you to control a boss monster. Getting rid of your opponent's hand advantage is great. The secondary effect is nice, as getting back your Lv8's is very necessary.

Ultimately this set of cards feels really well thought out and quite balanced, I think I might've actually appreciated some pack filler cards just to see how far you could take this archetype. As of now it honestly feels quite utilitarian, not that that's a bad thing. Good job on making it.

Duragan the Fierce Tundragon: you accidentally repeated '1 other "Tundragon" card' at the beginning. The revival effect is pretty good, with good comboing you could make two synchro plays in one turn with this I think. The banish effect which I've noted with your other level 8 Dragons is also pretty good, and the HOPT is nice so you can't abuse it.

Tatari the Relentless Tundragon: The draw 3 seems a bit overpowered, even if you're going minus 1. Maybe if you made it draw 2, then place 1 card from your hand on top of your deck it might be more fair. You can keep it as is, just my thoughts on it.

Harlan the Bold Tundragon: Okay, the tokens make sense from a standpoint of using both of them along with a tuner to summon a your synchro, but I feel like the cost should just be milling cards from your deck and sending this card from your hand to the Graveyard or something.

Olam the Fearless Tundragon: Honestly, this card feels a bit pointless, if you wanted to make a better distinction between them I think it might be better to make it so this card can destroy spells/traps, while Tanabar destroys monsters. In fact, why not make it banish spells/traps honestly? Even spells and traps float nowadays, so banishing would prevent this, and since its level 11, it'd make sense for it to have this much power. The 500 ATK boost is nice to power over some thing, and adding a Tundragon to the hand is great, but that 3000 base attack just screams to me Dark Destroyer crash. I'd make it a permanent boost just so that can't happen, or at least make it so it possibly works as a defensive counterpart, with a 2700/3300 spread or something, just for the sole sake of preventing Dark Destroyer crashes, as they're the bane of my existance.

Plains of the Tundragon: Decent field spell that helps promote the archetype. The protection for only the weakest monsters on your field seems uneccesary, I honestly think it's be better if it had an effect that protected your weak monsters from attacks, while protecting your Lv 8's and Synchro monsters from effects. Maybe you could make it so you can aactivate this card if it's milled or something, just so it can go along with the archetype, just a small suggestion.

Fixed that, I had it written the other way before, but I forgot to change that card as well.

Well, you only get one card from those 3, since you put two back, similar to that Sylvan card.

I don't really agree with that, you are basically using it as a Spell Card if that's the case, and I don't really want that since it's also a monster, and other Spell Cards that do something like that tend to have costs or restrictions to it, where this one doesn't beside the cost. All of the Level 8s are rarely meant to be in the hand to begin with really, it's just a bonus effect really, so it's not an important part of the Archetype to me regardless, and I find it's fine the way it is now.

It's a pretty strong card in terms of ATK and non-targeting effect + the adding from a Deck that can make such high Level Synchros fairly easily means that I'm not a fan of making it more powerful than it needs to be. Plus, I have other Synchros in mind, there's meant to be variety.

I don't know about that, it makes the high Levels harder to get rid of. Also, you can technically protect them as long as you got a higher ATK monster on the field, so there's that. I don't really like the idea of activating when sent from the Deck, I had thought of that, but they can get it back anyway in many ways, so no big deal.

Fair point about the Sylvan card, I forgot about that.

I guess there will be other Synchros, but the thing about destroying face down cards, is that if they're Traps, like Kozmojo, or the Monarchs Continuos Trap, or any BA Trap, they can just activate the cards before they're destroyed. Even generic Quick-Play Spells like MST or Twin Twisters could be activated. I think at least making it so once its summoned, you activate this effect, and your opponent cannot activate Spells and Traps in response to this effect would be best. Again, level 11, so you could get away with this clause. Hell, you could even make it so their summons cannot be negated like with Star Eater, since again they're level 11 Synchro monsters, so at the very least it won't get solemn striked.

You could make it so if the Field Spell is milled, you can activate it from the Graveyard, and it gains the effect to protect your Synchros from effect destruction. I know it seems OP, but Monarchs could spin it, Kozmos have Honest or Kozmojo, Blue-Eyes can run over it with Rank 8's, destruction protection honestly isn't that OP, even Rank 4 Toolbox could deal with it by Castel.

Kutai the Believer Tundragon: Nice, gets whatever Tundragon you need to the field so you can recycle resources, but it's not immediate, which is nice since it's a good effect. I like that it can place itself on the deck, so you can mill it for your effect.

Dukan the Defender Tundragon: Since it was called the Defender Tundragon, I was expecting this to have more defense, it feels likes this thing swapped stats with Harlan, since it's supposed to be the Bold one. Anyway, as a hand trap, it's pretty good, the cost is decenet, and it's basically an improved effect veiler. Again, this thing is also great for recycling resources, which this deck heavily appreciates.

Mikara the Master Tundragon: Armades for the whole archetype is great, glad you gave it a somewhat weaker effect on summoning. It's great you gave a way to recycle banished resources too, but I feel like there should be some cost, whether it's milling 3 cards from the top of your deck, or discarding 1 Tundragon card.

Sculpture of the Tundragon: As a trap, this is great, helps you tag out of targeted effects, and provides good disrutpion during your opponent's turn. The fact that it also gets you some non-tuner Material for a Synchro Summon again, that's also reusable. Since it's a sculpture, I think it'd be better to give it 0 ATK, and higher defenses, like 2800 or something, to make it good for a wall to use during your opponent's turn, similar to The Prime Monarch.

Archived