Bonds of the Gatewatch (written)

heraldry_lord

Bonds of the Gatewatch

Mana Cost: {2}{G}{W}

Enchantment

Whenever you cast a planeswalker spell, you may look at the top three cards of your library. Reveal a planeswalker card from among them and put it into your hand, then put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life for each planeswalker you control.

Remember Your Oath

Mana Cost: {1}{W}

Instant

Choose a colored planeswalker you control. Search your library for a legendary enchantment card that shares a color with the chosen planeswalker, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Traverse the Blind Eternities

Mana Cost: {X}{U}{W}

Instant

Exile X target planeswalkers you control, then return each of those planeswalkers to the battlefield under its owner's control with an additional loyalty counter on it.

It's kind of like the second effect of two Oaths and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Both effects are ones I want, I just think it's more in the spirit of the Gatewatch cards to have them on two different cards.

First ability, imo, should go on a WU card, for Jace + Gideon. Gatewatch Recruitment or something.

Second on a WG for Gideon + Nissa, with this name.

And of course some kind of ETB for them. I know these aren't technically Oaths but I like the flavor the oaths have and I'm partial to having Gatewatch related cards follow the same design where reasonable.

But I feel like I'm taking over which isn't what I want. If this enchantment is going to do both of these things, might have to be 4 or 5 cmc.

It's kind of like the second effect of two Oaths and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Both effects are ones I want, I just think it's more in the spirit of the Gatewatch cards to have them on two different cards.

First ability, imo, should go on a WU card, for Jace + Gideon. Gatewatch Recruitment or something.

Second on a WG for Gideon + Nissa, with this name.

And of course some kind of ETB for them. I know these aren't technically Oaths but I like the flavor the oaths have and I'm partial to having Gatewatch related cards follow the same design where reasonable.

But I feel like I'm taking over which isn't what I want. If this enchantment is going to do both of these things, might have to be 4 or 5 cmc.

I decided to make it 4 mana. Is that a good enough compromise?

I chose Selesnya specifically because green and white seem to be the "planeswalker search" colors, and the life gain also fits into those colors.

I decided to make it 4 mana. Is that a good enough compromise?

I chose Selesnya specifically because green and white seem to be the "planeswalker search" colors, and the life gain also fits into those colors.

Yeah, I got the reason for the colors in a single enchantment. I was just babbling to myself about making it two tbqh.

4 mana is better I think.

Both are neat.

Remember Your Oath could potentially stand to either be 3 cmc, or put the enchantment on top rather than straight to hand.

Were you meaning for Traverse to reset their loyalty to 1 more than base, or 1 more than current? Currently, it's doing the former. Either way it's an awesome dodge spell. 

Were you meaning for Traverse to reset their loyalty to 1 more than base, or 1 more than current? Currently, it's doing the former. Either way it's an awesome dodge spell. 

I meant for Traverse to reset the loyalty to 1 more than base, so yeah it's doing what I intended.

Remember Your Oath could potentially stand to either be 3 cmc, or put the enchantment on top rather than straight to hand.

Hmm.  I might want a second opinion on that (though I'm not expecting to get one).

Archived