[MTG] Angelic Return

EeveeManiac

This being my first venture in making MTG cards all I can say is that I tried to make these balanced.

[spoiler=My long-winded and probably unnecessary explanation on why I made these]

I got into MTG fairly recently, I'd say just about a week or so before the release of Eldritch Moon, so I figured that since there was some lore and everyone that I knew that played said it was pretty interesting I decided to look into it. I immediately fell in love with the plane of Innistrad and the story of Avacyn. Well since most of the angels were corrupted and Sorin had to destroy Avacyn, I wondered, "What would happen if he had the ability to recreate her and try again?". So I made these cards kind of based around while she was gone and being recreated. Because I'm tired of all my favorite characters dying in shows/games that I like.....

I apologize for any inaccuracies in the lore that there might be, but if you do spot something incorrect please point it out and I will try to fix it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[spoiler=With pics]

[spoiler=Art credits]

Avacyn's Ward and Memories of the Fallen - WotC

Avacyn's Recreation - Thaldir

Avacyn, Reborn - Aaraujo

------------------------

[spoiler=Avacyn's Ward]

MXoOHCt.jpg

------------------------------------

[spoiler=Memories of the Fallen]

QeDcNN3.jpg

------------------------------------------------

[spoiler=Avacyn's Recreation]

jZxMF1Y.jpg

---------------------------------------------

[spoiler=Avacyn, Reborn]

Jfi0aBA.jpg

----------------------------

[spoiler=Without pics]

[spoiler=Avacyn's Ward]

Avaync's Ward   [4]

Legendary Artifact

Whenever a Zombie, Werewolf, or Vampire creature enters

the battlefield, put two -1/-1 counters on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even after corruption and death, Avacyn still provides

protection to the people of Innistrad

------------------------------------

[spoiler=Memories of the Fallen]

Memories of the Fallen  [2][W][W]

Sorcery

Put an Angel creature card from your hand onto

the battlefield, unless an opponent pays 2.

------------------------------------------------

[spoiler=Avacyn's Recreation]

Avacyn's Recreation [1][W][W]

Search your library for a card with “Avacyn” in its name, reveal

it and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

---------------------------------------------

[spoiler=Avacyn, Reborn]

Avacyn, Reborn [4][W][W]

Planeswalker - Avacyn

{+1} Put a 2/2 white Human creature token with Haste on your side of the field.

{-3}  You get an emblem with “Angel creature spells you cast from your hand cost 2 less to cast.”
{-8} Avacyn, Reborn deals X damage to each opponent and you gain X life, where X is the number of Angels you control.

{5}

Sorin himself said that he can't create another Avacyn, and even if it was possible, it's highly unlikely she'd be a planeswalker; only beings with an actual "soul" can naturally gain a planeswalker's spark (in other words, mana beings like angels, demons and elementals, and artifact creatures can't gain a spark). Ob Nixilis is an exception because he was a human planeswalker before he became a demon, and Karn is an exception because he was implanted with a spark.

Avacyn having a spark put into her is possible, but I don't see Sorin doing that (assuming he could) as it would go against his intention of making her the plane's guardian.

As for the gameplay aspect:-

Avacyn's Ward: -X/-X counters aren't a common mechanic and tend to be associated with sickness or poison, which isn't what you're going for.  Also colored artifacts are very rare, but I'm gonna give this one a pass.  For 4 mana though, the ability is a bit too strong, especially since many Zombies, and a number of Werewolves and Vampires would just die on the spot; I know that's the point from a flavour perspective, but it may be too powerful gameplay-wise, especially since this thing isn't legendary.

Memories of the Fallen: So, for just 3 mana and 2 life, I can just drop an Avacyn (Angel of Hope), Iona, Akroma, Reya Dawnbringer, Angel of Despair or whatever else? Yeah, I'm gonna go with broken. Its mana cost should be much higher. Also, this isn't YGO; casting is a different procedure entirely from putting something onto the battlefield. Typically, you cast the creature, then it resolves if it isn't countered, then it enters the battlefield. Abilities that put things onto the battlefield "cut out the middleman" in this context, and unless the card states it, nothing inherent about the creature prevents this, so mechanically this isn't ignoring anything. You still have to pay the mana to actually cast it.

Avacyn's Recreation: This one I don't really have a problem with, except the wording. Is this like YGO's archetypes where the name just has to have the "Avacyn" string somewhere like in Avacyn's Pilgrim or even Avacyn's Recreation, or is "Avacyn" supposed to be a separate word in the name? I'm gonna assume the former for my wording fix attempt.

Avacyn, Reborn:  The +1 is a bit too powerful for a 5 mana planeswalker; having a repeatable source of 2+ power fliers is no joke. It should be a minus ability, if anything. Also, why 2/3?  Pretty arbitrary stats there. The -2 is OK IMO.  The -8 is a bit off-color, since white rarely deals damage outside of combat, and it's not a very impressive ultimate, which is in stark contrast to the plus ability.  I already put out my concerns about the flavour aspect of this.

Anyway, here's my attempt at fixing the wording of your cards:

Avacyn's Ward

Mana Cost: {2}{W}{W}

Artifact

Whenever a Werewolf, Zombie or Vampire creature enters the battlefield, put a -2/-2 counter on that creature.

Memories of the Fallen

Mana Cost: {W}{W}{W}

Sorcery

As an additional cost to cast Memories of the Fallen, pay 2 life.

Put an Angel creature card from your hand onto the battlefield.

Avacyn's Recreation

Mana Cost: {W}{W}

Sorcery

Search your library for a card with "Avacyn" in its name, reveal it and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Avacyn, Reborn

Mana Cost: {3}{W}{W}

Planeswalker - Avacyn

Starting loyalty: 5

+1: Put a 2/3 white Angel creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

-2: You get an emblem with "Angel creature spells you cast from your hand cost {2} less to cast."

-8: Avacyn, Reborn deals X damage to each opponent and you gain X life, where X is the number of Angels you control.

Thanks for telling me about the problems with these. Like I said I'm still pretty new to the game, so I really only have what cards I've seen/heard of/own to go off of, I hadn't heard that Sorin said he couldn't make Avacyn again so I guess my hopes went a little too far. As for the cards themselves I should have them fixed and re-uploaded by the end of the day/ tomorrow, and yeah now that I think about it Memories is a bit broken. I'll try to think of something to fix that, probably a mana increase (and some other downside as well?). Avacyn, Reborn will get a remake as well, maybe changing the tokens and doing something different for the ultimate. I was thinking about making the ward legendary, but I haven't really looked into what that would do and I'm not too sure on the rulings for legendary artifacts so I wanted to play it safe. Also for Avacyn's Recreation you would be correct, I might have worded it a little strangely but hopefully my MTG card grammar gets better with time.

TL;DR - Thanks for the input, they should be fixed by the end of the day/tomorrow.

EDIT: All changes made, and re-uploaded,

Welcome to the Magic fandom. May you never escape...

Anyways, here's some feedback. Going off of heraldry_lord's suggested revisions.

Avacyn's Ward: Artifacts are almost always colorless, and don't appear as one-offs in a set. They've only appeared in three blocks, and each had a reason. (Alara = represented the shard of Esper, New Phyrexia = represented artifacts bleeding into biological life, Theros = only used on the god's weapons and were also enchantments.) Seven mana is also way too much to pay for this sort of hosing effect, so I'd cost it at 5 at max. Finally, stat counters that aren't +1/+1 or -1/-1 haven't been used since Fallen Empires. The creatures would instead get two -1/-1 counters. Overall, I think this wouldn't ever be printed: efficient hosers like this are never printed in the same set as the mechanic that they hose.

Memories of the Fallen: Since most decks nowadays are 2-3 colors, triple white mana in the cost makes it almost uncastable. This is also undercosted by 1, as Dramatic Entrance is instant-speed for a similar effect and costs five mana. Make it 1WWW: it's a sorcery so it can be a bit cheaper. Finally, the life payment cost breaks the color pie: that's a black thing, not white. Cut that line.

Avacyn's Recreation: I'd also increase the cost on this by one as well. Make it 1WW, to put it in line with Sarkhan's Triumph.

Avacyn, Reborn: Disregarding the fact that Avacyn can't be a planeswalker according to canon (she doesn't have a spark to ignite), this is super powerful in its current state. Too much so. Some examples:

• That +1 is insanely powerful. Elspeth, Sun's Champion did something similar, but she cost more mana and didn't get evasion. I don't think I'd ever do anything than plus her if she was out. Increase her mana cost to 4WW. Also, on that note, tokens very rarely have non-square stats. I'd bump the Angel to 3/3 for that reason.

• The -2 is okay, but I'd make it a -3 instead. Angel tribal is rarely a thing in constructed formats (that aren't EDH), so I would very rarely choose to activate this over the first ability.

• Ultimate is fine. Big and splashy, and isn't too crippling considering that it should be relatively easy to stave off attackers..

Thank you for the welcome! Glad to be here X3. I gave the ward that ridiculously high cost because I wasn't sure how it would be, but I'm thinking about making it do something different entirely anyways. As for Memories I really just added the -2 health thing as a downside, but since I added the possibility of the opponent paying 2 I think I can cut that bit out and lower the cost somewhat. When it comes to Avacyn. Reborn I was just wondering what it would be like if she "could" become one, but alas canon forbids me my dream. Also are you talking about the first or second version of Avacyn, Reborn? Because I changed the +1, and when you mention the -2 are you talking about the cost or the emblems eff? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions I'm just trying to figure out exactly what needs correcting. Anyways I'll go ahead and make the improvements that you pointed out, but I'll save the update for tomorrow so I can get a few other things done.

Here are how I'd make these cards.

Avacyn's Ward {4}

Legendary Artifact

Whenever a Zombie, Werewolf, or Vampire creature enters the battlefield, put two -1/-1 counters on it.

Memories of the Fallen {1}{W}{W}{W}

Sorcery

Put an Angel creature card from your hand onto the battlefield.

Avacyn's Recreation {1}{W}{W}

Sorcery

Search your library for a card with "Avacyn" in its name, reveal it and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.

Avacyn, Reborn {4}{W}{W}

Planeswalker - Avacyn

[+1]: Create a 3/3 white Angel creature token with flying.

[-3]: You get an emblem with "Angel creature spells you cast from your hand cost {2} less to cast."

[-8]: Avacyn, Reborn deals X damage to each opponent and you gain X life, where X is the number of Angels you control.

[5]

Archived