[MTG] Multitribal Commanders

CuriousHeartless

After the announcement of C17 being tribal themed, one of my first thoughts was "what about multitribal lords?" So I made five multitribal Commanders.

Hohonu, Disciple of Ula 2U

Legendary Creature - Merfolk Shaman

Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, and Serpent creature spells you control cost 2 less to cast.

All lands are Islands in addition to their other types.

2BG, T, Exile a Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, or Serpent creature card from your Graveyard: Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature, where X is equal to the exiled card's power.

1/4

These four types are all mainly Blue. With Nemesis of Reason, Wrexiel, and two Serpents, Black is the distant but still there secondary. Green really only has Simic Slyswallower and Nimbus Swimmer but that is still two. There is a red Serpent but only one ain't a big deal and the least likely of these to get more in the future since Kiora and Simic make more Green ones fairly likely and deep sea horrors can make more Black.

They are creature types of typically bigger creatures, so a decent cost drop for them. A number, especially Serpents, have Islandwalk or similar dependence on Islands so the second ability to fuel those. Last ability is meant to bring in the secondary colors and allows scavenging of these giants.

----

Garou Wildtongue, Master Trainer 1BRGW

Legendary Creature - Werewolf Shaman

As long as you control a Fox, Hound, Jackal, or Wolf creature, ~ has hexproof.

If you control five or more Fox, Hound, Jackal, and Wolf creatures, other creatures you control get +2/+2.

At the beginning of each combat, choose two of persist, first strike, lifelink, and trample. Fox, Hound, Jackal, and Wolf creatures you control gain those abilities until end of turn.

2/4

Garou is derived from loupgarou, werewolves. Originally I had him as a Human but the lack of any werewolf on this felt weird. I didn’t want the trainer affecting Human Werewolves nor did I want to drag things out longer by tossing in non-Human, so I settled on just making him the werewolf. I could just give it Hexproof straight up but I took the longer path to show that he uses the canines he trains as protection. They form packs to get more strength so having multiple other creatures makes him give a boost. He is a trainer so he teaches them new tricks in combat. Deathtouch or Hexproof probably fit more than Persist but I wanted something a bit different. And he isn’t the fighter himself so low power.

----

Ivor the Separated 3WUB

Legendary Creature - Zombie Spirit

Double Strike

Other Zombie and Spirit creatures you control get +1/+1

When a nontoken non-Zombie, non-Spirit monster you control dies, create a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying and a tapped 2/2 black Zombie creature token.

2/4

A zombie and a spirit that come from the same crazed scientist. It has double stroke since it has two bodies. I couldn't think of a great lord ability so it just gets giving +1/+1. It also makes others split when they die. Considering it makes it so any other creature that dies becomes 5/5 split between two bodies this might work well even with no other Spirits or Zombies in the deck. Oh well.

----

Caliburn, Fate's Chosen Leader 3RGWU

Legendary Creature - Human Knight

Vigilance, Trample, First Strike

Archer, Soldier, and Warrior creatures you control are Knights in addition to their other creature types.

When a Knight you control becomes blocked, tap the blocking creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.

When a Knight you control attacks and isn't blocked, draw 1 card.

When a Knight you control blocks, it deals 1 damage to the attacking creature and you gain 1 life.

6/6

King Arthur though taking its name from his blade that gave him rulership over Britain. First Strike and trample as he is a master fighter.

Knights all your guys just for some shorter templating but may have interesting use. Your creatures get a different boost if they block, get blocked, or hit directly.

----

Pyrus, Flaming Shaman. R

Legendary Creature - Goblin Shaman

When a Dragon or Phoenix Creature enters the battlefield under your control, deal 1 damage to target opponent. If that creature had converted mana 7 or greater, also deal 1 damage to each creature without flying that player controls.

Sacrifice a Goblin: Add R to your mana pool. Use this mana only to cast Dragon or Phoenix spells or to activate the abilities of Dragon or Phoenix cards.

0/3

For the sake of color balance I needed a mono-Red commander. So what better way than tying together the iconic race, the characteristic race, and another Red exclusive (or mostly exclusive) type?

You can sac gobbos to bait out your big guys and pay less. And it deals damage for every dragon and phoenix with special for very big creatures.

Archived