Custom Commanders Mega-Thread [MtG, Written]

Mysty

Hi YCM. I've decided to make a thread of my custom commanders. Every week I'll upload a new one and bump the thread, as well as list any changes I've made. Some of these are based on Pop Culture, some aren't. Either way, I'll explain the inspiration and the general design philosophy behind it.

[spoiler=Dec 1, 2017 - The Outsider]

The Outsider

no mana cost (color indicator: white/black)

Legendary Creature - Angel Demon

WB: You and target opponent each may pay 2 life. Each player who paid life this way draws a card. Activate this ability only if The outsider is in the command zone.

Partner (You can have two commanders if both have partner.)

-8/-8

The Outsider is from the Dishonored series of video games. He grants his mark to those he finds interesting, allowing them to use new, unique black magic powers. Never one to directly interfere with any matters, he will not stop you from using your powers however you wish, but you may notice him becoming more hostile in your rare interactions with him if you use these powers to murder or oppress others.

The best route to showcase this off-handness, in my opinion, is with a command zone-only ability and no way to directly cast The Outsider. However, given how this design would leave you essentially without a commander, I'd figure I'd staple partner onto him so hat he could be used with one of the partner commanders.

The ability itself suggests that you have to choose people you find interesting in order to get a benefit from the deal. Be careful who you choose as a temporary ally and to know when to choose someone else - after all, switching ides in a battle might result in you being the next target.

Archived