Small Tutorial To Make Renders Brighter

Before anything, what you're going to do requires Photoshop or if you can sync what I say to any other program (like GIMP) then it'd be fine, too.

Duplicate the layer of your render. At the bottom layer, Gaussian Blur it reasonably. Then, at the above layer, set the blending to Overlay. See how wonderful and bright it looks. It works the best on anime renders.

Examples:

CMKingdom.png

KurosakiIchigoTEXT.png

That's really a wonderful technique I learned when messing around. :P

[Note 1: To duplicate a layer, right-click the layer and select "Duplicate Layer.." I wonder at what GFX level you are to not know that, and I'm not saying you don't, but everything has levels ^_^]

[Note 2: Gaussian Blur can be found under Blur in the "Filter" list.]

Also. In gimp. Right click on the not blurred layer then hit alpha to selection. Once that is done go to the blurred layer. In the main window click selection, Invert. Then goto edit clear. That gets rid of the slight glow outside of the render. (There is a few hotkeys but they change from version to version so I didn't bother)

Thanks bro! Nice tutorial, here are some pictures i made using the principals of this tutorial:

sothekard1.jpgsothekard2.jpg

sothekard3.jpgsothekard4.jpg

so simple and yet so cool, im a noob doing cards but i hope to get better as i go and your tutorial as taken me one step closer.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.:D

Archived