Traton, Divider of Theros - Magic the Gathering

Atypical-Abbie

So this is new! My first Magic the Gathering card! Yeah, so I got into the game recently, so had an idea or two for some cards I might end up making, and here's my first attempt at a card. So, what we got here is a blue 5 mana cost creature, and it's gimmick is that its effects vary depending on your life total, whether or not it is an even number or and odd number, which can give hexproof or put an artifact card to your hand from your library. Additionally it has an effect that returns a creature to the hand when untapped outside the untap step. The idea is to use cards like Magewright's Stone to untap it again so you can return a card, and also attack with the card. I am still new to the game, so not sure what format this should belong to, guess any that can use Magewright's Stone haha, I'm just playing casually atm

360004654_TratonDividerofTheros.png.ad10563eddac7a40b72580a71820191f.png

Whenever Traton, Divider of Theros becomes untapped other than during your untap step, return target creature to its owner’s hand.

Tap: Target creature has hexproof. Activate only if your life total is 10 or less and an even number.

Tap: Look at the top three cards of your library. You may reveal an artifact card from among them and put it in your hand. Send the remaining cards to the graveyard. Activate only if your life total is 11 or higher and an odd number.

Whether or not Traton should be freed from its eternal slumber the Day of Disaster arrives is a matter of deciding the very fate of Theros. It could go very very wrong.

9 hours ago, Abigail Sunblade said:

So this is new! My first Magic the Gathering card! Yeah, so I got into the game recently, so had an idea or two for some cards I might end up making, and here's my first attempt at a card. So, what we got here is a blue 5 mana cost creature, and it's gimmick is that its effects vary depending on your life total, whether or not it is an even number or and odd number, which can give hexproof or put an artifact card to your hand from your library. Additionally it has an effect that returns a creature to the hand when untapped outside the untap step. The idea is to use cards like Magewright's Stone to untap it again so you can return a card, and also attack with the card. I am still new to the game, so not sure what format this should belong to, guess any that can use Magewright's Stone haha, I'm just playing casually atm

360004654_TratonDividerofTheros.png.ad10563eddac7a40b72580a71820191f.png

Noice, 9.8/10

ok this is quite complicated. there many abilities that each can be its own theme.

the flicker abilities can combo with some merfolk tribal bosses abilities that require to tap many creature at once. and trigger addditional ETB. at least its very blue.

then we got to 2 tap abilities. that suddenly care about life which more into white or black. to be fair, hexproof and artifact care is indeed blue. the hexproof one should have "until the end of the turn" clause since mtg effect usually not permanent...the only exception is use hexproof counter. but thats a different can of worms

at its base its 5 mana 6/4 that can gain hexproof itself consistently after its first round and search something. its pretty powerful.

20 hours ago, Abigail Sunblade said:

Uhm anything else to add?

Well, it’s a bit hard to add much since I haven’t played magic in a while but I love the card art, if you drew it well done! The effect is pretty good, (even if I can’t remember what hexproof is specifically). And I’d probably end up using in my own deck. Don’t know what monster I’d substitute for it though.

Really love how this works! part of me wishes you would gain one life when it untapped outside of your upkeep to just to mess with its abilities being active even if gaining life should be a positive effect. all and all a fun card that takes a lot of card but seems worth the thought and cost.

5 hours ago, Dokutah said:

ok this is quite complicated. there many abilities that each can be its own theme.

the flicker abilities can combo with some merfolk tribal bosses abilities that require to tap many creature at once. and trigger addditional ETB. at least its very blue.

then we got to 2 tap abilities. that suddenly care about life which more into white or black. to be fair, hexproof and artifact care is indeed blue. the hexproof one should have "until the end of the turn" clause since mtg effect usually not permanent...the only exception is use hexproof counter. but thats a different can of worms

at its base its 5 mana 6/4 that can gain hexproof itself consistently after its first round and search something. its pretty powerful.

I was talking with some MtG experts when making this card and they mentioned that the original version wasn't very blue. I didn't know before that MtG have each color have specific themes, so instead of reducing the toughness, I made it return a card instead, and also the hexproof, and yeah I also learned after making it that cards don't typically have permanent effects like that, so could change that one.

4 hours ago, Loleo said:

Really love how this works! part of me wishes you would gain one life when it untapped outside of your upkeep to just to mess with its abilities being active even if gaining life should be a positive effect. all and all a fun card that takes a lot of card but seems worth the thought and cost.

I had considered some kind of life gain, but felt like that would make the card too wordy at some point, it's already a pretty wordy card, and hey, MtG is about combining cards with each other after all, so put in some life gain stuff to do that if you want.

Archived