Incorporating Duel Links style ban list with TCG style ban list.

KH911

Hey, it's been a while since I posted here. I've seen some discussions here and there about how DL (Duel Links) style ban list could be implemented so I decided to bring it up here.  For anyone who's unfamiliar with DL, cards on the ban list are essentially "Choose x amount of cards from this list". For example, putting pot of greed and change of heart on limit 2 would make it so that you can run any combination of these as long as you only have 2 in your deck. This could mean 2 pot 0 CoH, 1 each, or 0 pot 2 CoH.

This on it's own, with the sheer number of cards in the TCG, would be an absolute nightmare to manage. However, I think if used in conjunction with the TCG ban list it would an amazing way to balance the game. For the sake of my explanation, I will be calling DL style banlist "Choose x". Essentially there would be 6 tiers (instead of 3) on the ban list: 

- Forbidden: Cannot be used. Probably because they have effects that just break the game. Example: Last Turn, Self-destruct button.

- Choose 1: You can only have 1 copy of 1 of these cards. This would be for cards that are too strong to run multiple copies and can be problematic alongside other cards as well. Example: Pot of Greed, Delinquent Duo, Snatch Steal. So you can run 1 Pot of Greed but you can't run Delinquent Duo, or 1 Snatch Steal but then you can't run Pot, etc.

- Limit 1: You can only have 1 copy of these card. This would be for cards that are too strong to run more than 1 copy. Example: Change of Heart, Raigeki, Harpie's Feather Duster.

- Choose 2 (this is where it gets interesting): You can have any combination of these as long as there's a total of 2 in your deck. This is for cards that are only a problem when used in certain combos. . Example: Tearlaments Havnis, Tearlaments Kitkallos, Tearlaments Kaleidoheart. This means you can either run 2 Havnis 0 Kitkallos 0 Kaleidoheart OR 1 Havnis 1 Kitkallos 0 Kaleidoheart OR 1 Havnis 0 Kitkallos 1 Kaleidoheart  OR 0 Havnis 1 Kitkallos1 Kaleidoheart, so on and so forth. This would hit the ridiculous consistency and power of Tearlaments, without resorting to drastic bans (like OCG did to Kitkallos), while giving players the choice of what combination of these cards to include.

- Limit 2: You can only run 2 copies of these cards. This is for cards that are too strong to run 3 copies. Example: Pot of Desires, Pot of Prosperity, Pot of Extravagance.

- Choose 3: You can run any combination of these as long as there's a total of 3 in your deck. Similar to Choose 2, but for slightly less powerful combos. Example: Some Ishizus and some Tearlaments. This makes it so you can either run all Tearlaments or all Ishizus, but not both. If you want to run both, you'll have to cut stuff out. This is nice because it lets other decks use Ishizu cards without having to worry about Tearlaments abusing them.

Choose 2 and Choose 3 allow cards to be used in any deck in whatever way the player wants, while ensuring players can't abuse these cards for oppressive combos. These tiers would also make deck building more interesting since players have to consider what combination of Choose x cards to include in their deck. This would of course require amendments to the current ban list. Some cards would need to be moved to the new tiers, some would no longer need to be limited due the existence of the new tiers, and most importantly, A Lot of confusion and complaints as both judges and players adjust to the new system. But ultimately, I believe it's worth it. 

Archived