"Hexanath" Archetype

Mouse_Man

Introduction

I'm gonna make another long-winded post. Anxiety be damned! The devs will have to introduce a character limit at this rate.

A little less than a year ago I wrote my first ever post here. It was for an archetype of "Kursed" cards whose gimmick was sending cards to your opponent's GY. To be honest, the effects were hot garbage (random tiny ATK boost and LP stuff in places where it just wasn't worth it at all) and mostly a placeholder for me trying to figure out how everything was supposed to work. Someone did reply to my post, which I sadly didn't see until today somehow (apologies), but hopefully the effort put into that feedback wasn't totally useless. I still ended up using some of the general ideas for what the archetype turned into I think. So I once again introduce the *check notes* "Hexanath" archetype?

So first off: the name change. "Kursed" just wasn't cutting it. It was originally a reference to internet 'cursed' images, which is why it had such 'cursed' mechanics (if you can even call them that), but as it developed more I wanted to make it not as much of a joke archetype as it was. After the ultimate creative process that is Googling synonyms to random words, I eventually came up with something that I thought sounded almost cool. The archetype name "Hexanath" (I personally pronounce it HEX-a-nith) is just a portmanteau of the words 'hex' and 'anathema' (and I guess 'hexa' as well). I think this goes more in line with the theme I was trying to convey, which is that of spirits possessing various animals, but there is a whole slew of weird characteristics and lore that I'm just not gonna put here for the sake of your sanity.

Other changes have happened as well. I completely scrapped the gimmick of sending cards to your opponent's GY in favor of an archetype that…unfortunately became more generic than I would have liked. The gimmick was probably the only unique point of the archetype, even now, but I wanted to make something that was at least believable to be played in an actual game so it had to go. But in my efforts to make it more playable, and my newfound freedom of not having to take into account the weird interactions, I'm pretty sure I made some of the effects a bit too generic and overpowered. I wanted the cards to be somewhat exclusive, in that you couldn't easily splash it in whatever or use other generic tools, but the effects to still be powerful. Then again, I'm not good at Yu-Gi-Oh so I don't know what I'm doing.

The monsters still share certain types of effect with each other, but not the same effects as the previous iteration. They all have an effect that lets them Special Summon themselves (my brain really worked hard for this one), and an effect with the condition "If this card leaves the field by battle or card effect". The hope is that this condition limits how you can use their effects, since their payoffs may be too good to have them just be a regular on-field HOPT. I think the effects still work with the ideas the previous ones had, which were essentially "do stuff to another archetype monster to get payoff", except the payoff comes from the card you do things to instead of the card that did the thing, which might make it usable in more situations. Also, since the archetype will mostly use Fusion Monsters, it hopefully synergizes with the archetype a little more, although it could be the result of a weird tirade against generic Extra Deck monsters.

When I was making the archetype before, I was more focused on making it complete as quickly as possible (quantity over quality), but this time I tried to focus on making the individual cards more effective and have more purpose. Because of this, and it basically being a whole new archetype at this point, many cards are not present anymore (they were mostly just band-aid fixes anyway). 

TL;DR I'm revamping an old archetype I posted a while ago that had a weird gimmick and wasn't very good.

End of Introduction

Main Deck Monsters

I put most of the recent focus here, so I think they are the most coherent out of this mess. PSCT is kinda wack but I just sort of copy-pasted the wording for recent similar effects.

Hexanath Crow | Level 1 DARK Fiend/Effect | 0/0
If a "Hexanath" monster(s) is Normal or Special Summoned to your field, except "Hexanath Crow" (except during the Damage Step): You can Special Summon this card from your GY (if it was there when the monster was Summoned) or hand (even if not). If this card leaves the field by battle or card effect: You can Special Summon 1 "Hexanath" monster from your hand, except "Hexanath Crow". You can only use each effect of "Hexanath Candy" once per turn.

Hexanath Cannibal | Level 2 DARK Fiend/Effect | 800/200

If this card is in your hand or GY and you control no monsters: You can Special Summon this card. If this card leaves the field by battle or card effect: You can take 1 "Hexanath" card from your Deck, except "Hexanath Cannibal", and either add it to your hand or send it to the GY. You can only use each effect of "Hexanath Cannibal" once per turn. 

Hexanath Kiwi | Level 3 DARK Fiend/Effect | 300/700

If a "Hexanath" monster you control is destroyed by card effect: You can Special Summon this card from your GY (if it was there when the monster was Summoned) or hand (even if not). If this card leaves the field by battle or card effect: You can Special Summon 1 "Hexanath" monster from your GY, except "Hexanath Kiwi". You can only use each effect of "Hexanath Kiwi" once per turn.

Hexanath Cat | Level 4 DARK Fiend/Effect | 1500/500

During the Main Phase (Quick Effect): You can Set 1 "Anathema" Spell/Trap from your hand, and if you Set a Trap or Quick-Play Spell, it can be activated this turn; Special Summon this card from your hand or GY. If this card leaves the field by battle or card effect: You can add 1 "Anathema" Spell/Trap from your Deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Hexanath Cat" once per turn.

^Special Summon effect is definitely too wild but I needed Spell/Trap help that wasn't just the one Fusion monster lol. Maybe making it a Quick Effect only under conditions or removing that part altogether will help?

Dark Force Contractor | Level 3 DARK Warrior/Effect | 1300/700

If you control a "Hexanath" monster: You can Special Summon this card from your hand. You can target 1 "Hexanath" monster you control; destroy it, and if you do, equip 1 "Hexanath" monster from your Deck to this card, but you cannot Special Summon monsters with that card's name for the rest of this turn. If this card is equipped with a "Hexanath" card: [some effect]. You can only use each effect of "Dark Force Contractor" once per turn.

^The "Dark Force" (maybe not final name) cards I planned for are meant to synergize with the second effects of the "Hexanath" cards and potentially other cards yet to be made. I'm not sure how they'll be when I try to flesh them out though.

Spells/Traps

I got lost in the sauce with these I'll be honest. 

Anathema Reservoir | Continuous Spell

Each time a "Hexanath" monster(s) you control leaves the field, place 1 Hex Counter on this card. If you Fusion Summon an "Amalgam" Fusion Monster, you can also shuffle monsters from your GY into the Deck as material, up the number of Hex Counters on this card, and if you do, remove Hex Counters from this card equal to the number of materials used from the GY. If this card would be destroyed by card effect, you can remove 2 Hex Counters from this card instead.

Anathemalgamation | Quick-Play Spell

Fusion Summon 1 DARK "Amalgam" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, by shuffling Fusion Materials mentioned on it from your field into the Deck, and if you do, it gains the following effect. 

●If this Fusion Summoned card is destroyed: You can banish cards mentioned on it from your Deck, up to the number of cards used as material from your field or GY.

^Banishing cards is somewhat important to the lore and themes so I'll probably have to integrate it further so this card makes sense, probably in the "Dark Force" cards.

Anathematic Corruption | Continuous Trap

Your opponent cannot activate effects of monsters in the GY while the total number of monsters in their GY is less than the total number of "Hexanath" monsters in your GY.

^Conditions probably need to be changed because it's meant to be a general floodgate that isn't super debilitating. I think I dropped the ball, and may eventually tone it down a lot but give it some better utility.

Hexanathema | Field Spell

When this card is activated: Banish all monsters in your GY, and if you do, return your monsters that are banished to the GY with different original names than the cards banished by this effect. If a monster(s) is banished: You can target 1 banished monster; return it to the GY.

^I'm not sure what I was doing when I made this one. I wanted whatever the Field Spell was to be very important for the archetype but I'll have to change this to not be, well, that. If I continue with this effects more restrictions with probably get added.

Extra Deck Monsters

Hexanath Amalgam | Level 6 DARK Fiend/Fusion/Effect | 2600/2400

1 "Hexanath Cat" monster + 2 DARK Fiend monsters

Cannot be used as Fusion Material. Must be Fusion Summoned with an "Amalgam" card. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 "Hexanath" monster or "Anathema" Spell/Trap you control; destroy it, also destroy 1 other card on the field. Once per Chain, when an effect is activated that targets a "Hexanath" monster(s) you control (Quick Effect): You can add 1 "Hexan" Spell/Trap from your GY to your hand.

^I could've had the wording be "anath" cards but I didn't want to include unintended cards now or in the future.

Final Thoughts

This archetype has gone through a lot of revision since I first posted it. Like, a lot of revision. I removed the opponent's GY gimmick pretty quickly, but it still had pretty different looking cards even in the other versions compared to the current one. Because of this, many ideas were dropped or don't work with the current cards, so they are now quite sparse I think I may have lost some of the more unique aspects through this process, however, but if you want to see what the previous version looked like feel free to ask. I just wanted to share these so I don't mindbreak myself thinking about each individual version. It's not like I don't have other archetype ideas, but this was the first oneI ever made, so I don't want to abandon it just yet (totally not just Sunk Cost Fallacy).

Also here's this goofy ahh card as reward for getting through my novel:

Double Down | Normal Spell

Send cards from the top of your Deck to the GY, equal to the combined number of cards in your hand and Extra Deck +1, then add 1 card from your Deck to your hand, and if you do, apply the following effects for the rest of this Duel.

●Your opponent takes no effect damage.

●Your cards and effects cannot be activated unless you banish 1 card from your GY and 1 card from your Extra Deck face-down.

●When you would add a card from your Deck to your hand or send a card from your Deck to the GY, banish it face-down instead.

I should've proofread. The text for Hexanath Amalgam should be:

1 "Hexanath" monster + 2 DARK Fiend monsters

Cannot be used as Fusion Material. Must be Fusion Summoned with an "Amalgam" card. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 "Hexanath" monster or 1 "Anathema" Spell/Trap you control; destroy it, also destroy 1 other card on the field. Once per Chain, when an effect is activated that targets a "Hexanath" monster(s) you control (Quick Effect): You can add 1 "Anathema" Spell/Trap from your GY to your hand.