Game Mechanics and Deck Building for begginners

Today I would like to talk about general game mechanics and Deck building. As I feel a lot of Members here would benefit from learning how to build Decks and play more effectively on an advanced level.

When most people start to construct a Deck, they start with the usual Staples like Cyber Dragon, Mirror Force and Snatch Steal etc, and then proceed to add the themed cards that wish to incorporate into the themed deck or strategy that they want to accomplish. Contrary to belief some of the Staples are not always needed, for instance, Premature Burial is not always needed in Gadgets, because if you get back a gadget, you are then clogged with 2 of them in your hand. Also Confiscation is also not always needed, if the deck is an Aggro or Earth Rush deck, as they focus on Battle and not Hand Advantage. Also, if a Deck that creates tons of field presence then it does not use Torrential Tribute as using it would hardly create advantage, and can potentially be a dead card.

Another Topic which I hear a lot on Chat Rooms, Forums and in Competitive Play is that People wonder why they Draw so badly or inconsistent, when it is usually because they place so many dead Cards in there Decks. Every Deck requires several things, Monster Removal is one; common examples are Exiled Forces, Sakuretsu Armors, Smashing Grounds, etc. These are needed for most decks unless the Themed Decks don't require it, for instance a Earth Rush, or Anti-Meta deck might not require it because they create advantage using the Battle Phase, and use cards that help in the Battle Phase like Blast With Chain, Rush Recklessly or Shrink to substitute for Monster Removal, so that they can use the spare slots for something more viable other than Monster Removal.

Also some people use the term Broken falsely sometimes, and that makes people immediately assume that the Card must be added into every Deck, that goes back to that last paragraph where some Cards are not always needed in a certain Deck type. I hear some people call Monarchs broken, where just no, they are far from broken, Zaborg the Thunder Monarch is no Chaos Emperor Dragon, that's for sure, Zaborg is nothing but a 1-1 in terms of advantage and if it gets chained to, you just lost 2 Monsters, and sure, they used some of their resources, but you have nothing. The only Cards worth being called broken this format are Limiter Removal, Ring of Destruction, and Snatch Steal, nothing else is worthy. Limiter Removal because it wins games where you shouldn't have won them. Ring of Destruction because it's a gamebreaking card, and can easily win games if played right, Snatch Steal just wins games like Limiter Removal, when you shouldn't win them.

Every skilled duelist knows how to play conservatively, and use cards that promote Card advantage. For example, try to play 1-2 Cards per turn, this means setting Cards and Summoning them, unless you play something like Reinforcement of the Army or Destiny Draw,because you aren't really losing Card Advantage through that. Never use a certain mass removal cards to get rid of minimal Cards, like never waste a Smashing Ground if you can kill the Monster through Battle, unless your going for Game. Try not to use Heavy Storm on one S/t, try to get a plus one advantage from this, for example, setting this first turn, usually results in your opponent setting 2 to there backrow, because they think you won't get any advantage off a Heavy Storm then, but if you flip it up, you generate Card Advantage, see where I am going? Save your cards for the right time, most people use Ring of Destruction first turn, where as it can be used to finish a game easy.

Hope this has helped everybody.

Archived