Custom Trainer Sprite Tutorial++Show me what you make!

So I've received lots of PMs, asking me how I do my customized trainer sprites, and so I decided I'd just make a tutorial. I use either Paint or PSP when I make my trainers, although most of the time it's better to use Paint, so you're not tempted by fancy effects. You don't want to usy ANY special effects when making these. Anyways, on with the tutorial.

Step 1;

The first thing you have to do is find an already existing trainer image. You can find D/P sprites HERE and R/S sprites HERE.

I selected

step1vn2.png

for my use, since I'm going to need to do a trench coat, and I want to make this as easy on myself possible. Try to select something that already resembles what you have in your mind, or what you're working from.

Step 2;

This step is easy, you just grab the eraser tool, and erase what you don't need. You don't need to be very careful, you can fix things easily if you mess up a little. I just made it so that when I do the hair, his hat won't be visible at the edges.

step2xb9.png

Step 3;

Now, magnify your picture 800x. Start at the top, and work your way down. So that means you do the hair, the eyes and other facial features. I normally just take one color, like a very bright bright green or pink and just make the shape of the hair. Then go over it/fill it with the color you want. Make the color a little bit darker, and do some simple shading*. Make the color lighter, and add highlights*. Then make the color much darker (closer to black) and make an outline. Edit the eye color or the face however you want until you get what you want for the head.

step3lr1.png

Step 4;

Continuing with adding stuff, the next thing that comes is the top/jacket/arms. Do something similar with what you did with the hair. Draw the shape, pixel by pixel or blocky, color, shade, highlight, outline.

step4bx1.png

Keep in mind that on Pokemon sprites, not all of the outline is the darker version of the color you're using. Pokemon sprites also use black in their outlines.

step5qf9.png

Step 5;

And now of course, comes the pants and the shoes. Pants shading is different than shading in other areas. The knees should have more highlighting and should be dithered* to look softly shaded. The groin and around where the top would shadow the bottoms is where there would be more shading, as well as on the inner leg.

step6bk3.png

Step 6;

The final step is to just fix up anything that's a little chunky, and also to edit the accessories. The original sprite for me, was flipping a coin. I changed that to a bloody stone, I could also have erased it all together. It's all up to you.

step7pf0.png

Now you can just experiment, and keep trying new things un til you get what you want!

Shading: The areas where shadows would fall need to be shaded, in a darker color than the original.

Highlighting: The areas where light would hit needs to be highlighted, in a lighter color than the original.

Dithering: Using alternated colors (2+) to create the illusion of there being more than those colors. Example:

30488237ju4.png (ZOOMED V.)

Other Examples

Trainer_Sprite_Edit_by_tehodis.pngMort_Rainey_by_tehodis.png95903666ei3.png

Show me what you come up with! I'd love to see.

Very nice tutorial Tehodis~! I used to play around with pokemon fusions in MSPaint a long time ago.. But then I got Photoshop and forgot how fun Paint was! Thanks for reminding me of the awesomeness of the classics~

Heres my attempt of a Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist. I used 2 of the trainer sprites, (sorry I still haven't got a chance to play Pokemon D/P so I'm not familiar with the names) one of them was used in your tutorial, and the other had yellow hair and a blue jacket. The duel disk was done from scratch.. But i'm pretty bad at visualizing final products in Paint because there's such small resolution > < Anyways~

682rqc4.png

Duelist Name : Stryke

Hope you like it~ Thanks for posting this tutorial Tehodis!

Very nice tutorial Tehodis~! I used to play around with pokemon fusions in MSPaint a long time ago.. But then I got Photoshop and forgot how fun Paint was! Thanks for reminding me of the awesomeness of the classics~

Heres my attempt of a Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist. I used 2 of the trainer sprites' date=' (sorry I still haven't got a chance to play Pokemon D/P so I'm not familiar with the names) one of them was used in your tutorial, and the other had yellow hair and a blue jacket. The duel disk was done from scratch.. But i'm pretty bad at visualizing final products in Paint because there's such small resolution > < Anyways~

[img']http://i17.tinypic.com/682rqc4.png[/img]

Hey, I like the duelist dude, I'm gonna make one but don't worry I won't copy yours :)

Oh and cool tut Tehodis.

Heres my attempt of a Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist. I used 2 of the trainer sprites' date=' (sorry I still haven't got a chance to play Pokemon D/P so I'm not familiar with the names) one of them was used in your tutorial, and the other had yellow hair and a blue jacket. The duel disk was done from scratch.. But i'm pretty bad at visualizing final products in Paint because there's such small resolution > < Anyways~

[img']http://i17.tinypic.com/682rqc4.png[/img]

Made another duelist to go with it~ It's from the Marik Season with the "Rare Hunters".. Haha yeah, Old stuff, but I don't watch much yugioh anymore so it's all i know... ^ ^

52wsvux.png

Duelist Name : Rare Hunter

Didnt turn out as well because I had to do more pixeling and less editing... And I'm really bad at that on MsPaint.

So I've received lots of PMs' date=' asking me how I do my customized trainer sprites, and so I decided I'd just make a tutorial. I use either Paint or PSP when I make my trainers, although most of the time it's better to use Paint, so you're not tempted by fancy effects. You don't want to usy ANY special effects when making these. Anyways, on with the tutorial.

Step 1;

The first thing you have to do is find an already existing trainer image. You can find D/P sprites HERE and R/S sprites HERE.

I selected

step1vn2.png

for my use, since I'm going to need to do a trench coat, and I want to make this as easy on myself possible. Try to select something that already resembles what you have in your mind, or what you're working from.

Step 2;

This step is easy, you just grab the eraser tool, and erase what you don't need. You don't need to be very careful, you can fix things easily if you mess up a little. I just made it so that when I do the hair, his hat won't be visible at the edges.

step2xb9.png

Step 3;

Now, magnify your picture 800x. Start at the top, and work your way down. So that means you do the hair, the eyes and other facial features. I normally just take one color, like a very bright bright green or pink and just make the shape of the hair. Then go over it/fill it with the color you want. Make the color a little bit darker, and do some simple shading*. Make the color lighter, and add highlights*. Then make the color much darker (closer to black) and make an outline. Edit the eye color or the face however you want until you get what you want for the head.

step3lr1.png

Step 4;

Continuing with adding stuff, the next thing that comes is the top/jacket/arms. Do something similar with what you did with the hair. Draw the shape, pixel by pixel or blocky, color, shade, highlight, outline.

step4bx1.png

Keep in mind that on Pokemon sprites, not all of the outline is the darker version of the color you're using. Pokemon sprites also use black in their outlines.

step5qf9.png

Step 5;

And now of course, comes the pants and the shoes. Pants shading is different than shading in other areas. The knees should have more highlighting and should be dithered* to look softly shaded. The groin and around where the top would shadow the bottoms is where there would be more shading, as well as on the inner leg.

step6bk3.png

Step 6;

The final step is to just fix up anything that's a little chunky, and also to edit the accessories. The original sprite for me, was flipping a coin. I changed that to a bloody stone, I could also have erased it all together. It's all up to you.

step7pf0.png

Now you can just experiment, and keep trying new things un til you get what you want!

Shading: The areas where shadows would fall need to be shaded, in a darker color than the original.

Highlighting: The areas where light would hit needs to be highlighted, in a lighter color than the original.

Dithering: Using alternated colors (2+) to create the illusion of there being more than those colors. Example:

30488237ju4.png (ZOOMED V.)

Other Examples

Trainer_Sprite_Edit_by_tehodis.pngMort_Rainey_by_tehodis.png95903666ei3.png

Show me what you come up with! I'd love to see.

this is still confusing, maybe that's because i don't use paint a lot, it's really difficult 4 me 2 do things that I don't normally do.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived