Johan was a disappointing villain.

[spoiler=[i]Monster[/i] spoilers]He didn't kill enough innocents. >_> Seriously, he ends up killing more of the other villains, like the Neo-Nazi bigwigs, than he does innocent bystanders. And for someone who once claimed that his goal was to be that last person left alive at the end of the world, the fact that his final plan was simply based around destroying one measly town before allowing himself to be fatally shot was a bit of a letdown, especially since every single evil organization in the world seems to be relying on him as the centerpiece of their devious plans for world domination.

Speaking of which, Johan's cunning plans usually followed one of three very distinct patterns:

1. Find some other villain. Get villain to kill target. Rinse and repeat. (This later evolves into "Hand out guns to random people on the street and encourage them to kill everyone else".)

2. Insert Roberto into every position of trust ever. What's that? Roberto's dead? No matter, we have Britannian Medical Science.

3. Kill foster parents. It seems like a winning strategy.

A genius like him should have more imagination. The only real "Just As Planned" moment was when we saw him taking off his Nina/Anna disguise. And that plan was a ridiculous stretch, since he relied on putting a lot of effort into establishing himself as his sister, and it didn't seem like anything more than sheer luck that Suk happened to fall in love with "her" and reveal the police secrets. (The hi-I-am-Roberto-and-I-have-been-lurking-off-panel reveals might have qualified if they hadn't been used so bloody often.)

Considering that he's supposed to be a heartless "monster", he seems to be rather sentimental, in view of how obsessed he is with his past.

Overall, I was hoping that he would do more villainous stuff, but he mostly ends up lurking in the background while a bunch of other evil organizations are trying to get him on their side. And when his plan is about to succeed with the book donation, he drops that plan at the last moment in order to go lurk evilly elsewhere.

Archived