My life on the Edges: a Vampire Story (Ch.1-5)

Marisa Kirisame-ze

Before the Story:
Ok, this is my first free written story I ever made. (meaning, my first story that I didn't make for school). I'm sure it won't be the best, but please give this a chance.
Sincerely,
Miranda
Something to think about:
If you were caught up between two big things, which would you choose? The person you love the most who accually loves you, or your only best friend who would do anything for you? One action causes a big turn in life, would you like that turn? Or would you end up in a corner?
Format:
I'm writting this in fisrt person point of view. When I use Italics that is the character's thoughts in their mind (I might not use that). When I use quotations, you should know, means they are speaking. Bold means what she is writting in her journal, or something someone wrote. I might use that for a letter.
Enjoy.
I always wanted an original life. My life, well it isn't that normal, well it was, but not until the day I met her. Sarah Ryuzuka. My best friend. The most friendly and helpful person in the world. I swear, you will never find a better friend like her. She is also so great with advice, always the funny one. Well, I can't really explain how she made my life 'un-normal,' but I know she did. At least I know. You don't need to. Well, I don't know. Do you? Nah, I don't think so. Your just a journal. You see? Whatever I thin I write in this useless thing. My mom bought it for me just to keep track of my life, to keep memories flowing, but all it does is make my mind race and then get a headache. See? I suck at writting a summary, I just can't do it. There are so many other things to write. My dad says I have a creative mind. In fact, my english teacher, Mr. LAME! (really, its Mr. Martin), says I'm a great writter, but all we ever do in that class is learn to write in cursive. Come on! We are 9th graders! Cursive? What is up with that. And you know what el-
"Stephanie! Come down here this minute!"
"What mom! I'm writting in my journal!"
You are?! Good for you, honey! Though, put it aside for now, I need to speak to you!" Mom always made her voice sound ergent. Even if its just to tell me 'Take out the trash' or 'Steph, did you do your homework?' She always wants me to hurry up and come down, thats why she feels the need to disguise her voice. To me, its just annoying, but to my brother, Meti, it gets the job done. Meti always thinks that Mom is really in trouble, he rushes down like there is a fire in his room and the funny part is; he is older then me! He is also very muscular, with his ash black hair and brown eyes. Not the kind of person to get fooledby mom's act. It always makes my dad crack up and tome, I just get embarised that he is related to me. Though, the most annoying part is that Meti's and my room is upstairs, while mom and dad's room is downstairs, so always they have to yell because they are to lazy to come up the stairs and speak to us; we always have to come down. I storm down the stairs like mom wants me to, noticing that she stopped yelling this time. Usually even if I'm comming she always has to add 'Hurry up!' or 'Lets go!' but this time, she seemed pashient, which bugged me. I stepped into our unusual large kitchen. Our kitchen is bigger then all our rooms combined, but mom and dad both like to cook, so basically its like we have two kitchens. One side with dad's stainless steal and granit kitchen supplies and apliences and the other with bright colored kitchen supplies and apliences. Dark and Light. Its just like an art piece, clashed with two different artists. If you ask me, Mom isJackson Pollock and Dad isVincent Van Goh. Heading into the kitchen I notice Mom on Dad's side, cooking some pasta and salmon. My favorite of all combinations. "What is it mom?" I ask,I don't think she noticed me walk in because of her consintration on the food; which is good. Morconsintration on the cooking, the better it is. Sometimes. "Steph, isn't it time to get your permit?" Mom randomly asks. I was shocked atthat. Mom didn't want me to start driving till I was done will collage,I'm not sure howthat would work out, but she never wanted me to leave her. "Well, yes, but I can wait. I got alot ofdifferent things to do at this time" I tried to answere nicely, I always TRY to talk to my parents nicely, but somtimes they can really get on my nerves.
"Didn't Sarah get her permit recently? Don'tyou want to be able to drive places withher?"
"Well yes, Mom, but why are you rushing me? You were the one to always say 'Don't get a car now! I don't want my little Steph leaving me'" I stated the true fact. She says that almost everyday.
"Well, things change. I really think you should start heading out towards town, you know, get an interesting life, meet guys, get more friends, get out an-" I got annoyed right there. "You want me out of the house!?! I waited to get a car, just for YOU! What is it mom? What are you hiding from me?!" I cut her off. Mom made a sigh, one of those sighs that shows that she will tell the truth. I wasn't sure if I wanted to hear the truth though. "Economy is going bad. I lost my job today and I'm not sure if I have enough money for you and Meti" I could tell that she was being very honest, I could tell that it hurt her to say those words. That shattered my heart; seeing my mom in so much pain is a very rare sight. "How did you loose you job?" Was all I could manage to say, I felt myself almost crying, but I held the tears in. My mom was a great manager for the best grocery store in town; 'When Chicken Tenders Won't Do.' I always hated the name because it was so long for a grocery store, but it ment something. When you don't just want to heat up chicken tenders, just go to this grocery store and there are tons of perfeshional ingredients for a fair amount of money. Sarah and I just call it 'No Chicken.'
"I did something illegal" Mom made herself say. She started to cry and I don't work well with emotional people. When someone cries, I just back away. I can't even handle my own tears good either. Her doing something illegal didn't surprise me for some reason, I don't know why, but I felt calm and collected; which is good for me. "Ok, just breathe deeply, in and out" I started repeating that and my mom followed along the breathing steps quite nicely, like I was teaching yoga.
"Now, what did you do?"
Mom just shook her head, she didn't want to tell me, I didn't care though. Mom always kept secrets from me, but not exactly one like this. "Are the police after you?" I said, now feeling like Dr. Phil, it got harder to keep the tears in. Mom shook her head, 'No.' "Ok, thats all I care for then. You need me out of the house?" At the last word my voice went low to a wisper. "Yes" My mom mumbled and that gave a shiver down my spine. My mom wants me out of the house. I'm being kicked out, no, I'm being thrown out? I don't even know. I turned around, went upstairs, got my book bag and placed my journal in it. I went back downstairs and swiftly went into the kitchen to get a water bottle, hoping that mom would stop me from leaving, but she didn't say a word. Not one word to dad, which I wasn't sure where he was, and I didn't even think Meti knew what happened. His door was closed the whole time. I opened the door, took in a deep breathe, and left.
It happened so suddenly. I didn't even expect that Iwould basicaly be kicked out of my house. I didn't realize that my mom hated me, she didn't even tell Meti about this, I'm pretty sure. Was I going crazy? Is all this a dream? Stupidly, I poked myself to see and no. I was there, I'm alive, what a nightmare. Should I got to Sarah? Should I go to the police station? I didn't realize it, but now I was homeless, or maybe I was looking at this the wrong way. I left. Mom didn't kick me out, out of my own volution, I left. I'm so stupid was all I could think about.

~"Time pases no matter what"~
Mom sounded normal now that I think back to what happened. It took me a full three hours to just settle my mind. My watch said so, or was I just lying to myself or being stupid. Again. When mom was calling me, there was no sign of tragety in her voice. Was that really mom? Mom was calling me normally. The usual 'Stephanie! Get down here!' but then when I came down, she wasn't her usual self at all. Where was dad? He would defend my case. He has a high paying job. Where was he at this time? And Meti. Mom yells, he runs down even if she was calling me. Where was he? I'm quite a clueless girl, but when I want to, I can set my mind to many things. Like I have many minds ofr different things to think about. I'm a great multitasker. I was just happy I brought my journal. I took it out of my navy book bag and opened it to where I left off. Nothing mattered anymore. I stratched it all out. Tore the page that I was writing, and used that as my own anger managment tool. I don't have any anger managment problems, but right now, I needed someone to help me. I needed a shield of light, I needed something. I couldn't sit on the sidewalk, right outside of 'No Chicken' and expect an angel to come down to help me. I didn't even no why I was sitting outside of that grocery store, it made things worse, but the most horrible part was: I now felt like a hobo.
I was lucky to be wearing my jean pants and my favorite 'Don't Worry, Be Hurrly' T-Shirt; my most confertable clothing. My jean's pockets could hold anything and I was lucky that I left my phone in my pocket. Without my phone, I would so be dead, though its not like I use it often. I could call Sarah, my only best friend who would risk her life for me, or just lay out on the sidewalk. I chose the second choice. I was really getting stupider by the minute, or maybe just really lazy. I don't know which one. Maybe both. I just felt like I didn't want to be involved with people. My mom was enough and at that thought, I laid down on the cold sidewalk and even though it was still noon, I closed my eyes, wanting to die.

CH. 2:

I hate time. Why does time always hate me. Its like my arch enemie and being a rival to time really won't help out at this time. Of, course though, time hates me. Just an hour past by, showing from my watch, and its still bright outside. Of course time will go slow. Just for me. Sometimes I wonder why my life isn't how I wanted it to be, but whenever I think that, I feel like my life gets worse. Right now is one of those times. I take out my phone, that had about five new scratches that ruined the coloring of my phone; probably because I was turning in my sleep, scratching it on the concrete. Luckily, it still works. My phone is pretty much prehistoric, I wouldn't be surprised if it just shut off on me now, but I pray that that won't happen, not now. I go to my contacts, click call, and wait for Sarah to pick up the phone.
"Yello?" Sarah asks in her very friendly voice.
"I'm homeless" Was all I could squeak out, teling this to my happy-go-lucky friend hurt alot.
"What do you mean?! Do you need me to pick you up? Where are you?!" Her worried voice always makes me feel like I'm cared for. Like I wrote in my new anger managment stress ball, she is the greatest friend someone could ask for.
"I'll tell you what happened later. Please come down. I'm infront of 'No Chicken'" I tell her, feeling tears of relief pour down my face.
"I'm comming right now, don't move!" and with that, she hung up. With a huge sigh of happyness I lay on the sidewalk, greatful for Sarah. Her long and stright brown hair already makes her look kind and sweet, but right when her nice one of voice hits your ears, you could imagine that was na angel's voice. Its weird to say that about my best friend, but I'm speaking the truth. All the guys are always after her and its nice to watch her nicely tell them no when they ask her out. Like another good friend of mine, Chris. Now Chris really fell in love with Sarah, but Sarah gently told him no, when Chris asked her out. From then, they became just good friends and Sarah introduced Chris to me, so we became friends. Sadly, Chris is quite poor and doesn't have enough money for a cell phone and I hate calling home phones. I take out my journal from my bag that I used as a pillow and begin writting to pass the time:

Thank God for Sarah. My greatest of all friends. Thank God, thank god, thank god. Sarah thank you so much! My life is saved. Bells ring. No more screeching, just time to sing. When doubt is a mess, the best thing to do is find the rest. The rest of my friends. Sarah. My greatest friend.

I didn't even know what I was writing, but as I wrote it down, stuck in my head was 'Are We Human' by the Killers. Sarah's favorite song, so I felt like putting a ryme. Not very good, but I need to show a sign of relief. Thank God for Sarah.

Are We Human. Or Are We Dancers. I'm on my knees. Looking for the answere. Are we human. Or are we dancers.

Thank You Sarah was all I could think of as I wrote down lyric by lyric of Sarah's favorite song. Then I hear the honk of a car pull up from the curb infront of me. Sarah. I ran to the car with tears of joy flowing down my cheek, I wiped it off with my shirt sleeve and without even looking, wrapped my arms around Sarah giving her a nice hug.
"Thank god your ok, Steph. You got me worried sick!" Sarah said wiping off my tears with the napkin she brought. She held up a plate of rice and pasta in her free hand. "Here, you must be hungry. Now tell me, what happened?" She said handing me the fork and the plate of rice and pasta. Before answering her, I basically stabbed a load of pasta onto the fork and shoved it in my mouth. I was starving and I didn't realize it till now. Once I swallowed, I didn't know how to tell her what happened without making my mom look like a bad person, but I told her everything. Every little detail.
"Oh my gosh! She kicked you out? You need a place to stay right, Steph? Come stay with me!" Sarah's voice was full of happyness, I didn't know how she said so positive, but it always helped. "I don't want to impose on your family" I stated looking behind Sarah, noticing her mom sitting in the drivers seat, smiling and kindly waving to me. "Your not imposing on us, we accually discussed this" - of course they discussed it, Sarah is my perfect friend - "and we welcome you to stay, Johnny is looking forward to seeing you" Sorry winked at me. Johnny is Sarah's twin brother who is another good friend of mine. Sarah and Johnny get along really nicely that they could be called friends. The reason why she winked is because Johnny has a huge crush on me, I know we are in 9th grade, but I will still say crush because I never once considered liking him. Besides, I like someone else, but lets not get into that infront of Sarah here who loves gossip. "Well, if you don't mind, then may I please stay?" I asked Sarah even though I knew it was a yes. "Of course, Steph!" There is something I envy about Sarah. Her kindness. "Thanks" I mumbled, turning into sobbing tears dripping from my eyes, down my cheek, landing on Sarah's finger. "Hey, you ok?" Sarah's voice was so soft and kind. "Are we human. Or are we dancers?" I said between sobbs of relief and joy and smiled at Sarah. "Because tonight will be the night I will fall for you, over again, don't make me change my mind or I won't live to see another day, I swear its true, because a girl like you is impossible to find" She perfectly sang my favorite song, 'Fall For You' by Secondhand Serenade. We both laughed and Sarah grabbed me into her car. She sat me down in the back seat as she hopped into the passenger seat. "Hello Mrs. Ryuzuka" I greeted. "Why hello Stephanie. You will just love our house. Make yourself at home when we get there, sweetie" Her voice is as sweet as my favorite candy, Starbursts, but not just any, the sweetest pink one. "Thank you so much Mrs. Ryuzuka" I said with all my respect. "Please call me mom" She teased and I fake laughed.
When we arrived at the Ryuzuka residence, of course, Johnny came rushing out. "Are you ok?!" He asked with a shocked tone. "Hey John, yes I'm fine, thanks" I said nicely. "Did, my sis's face startle you after being around the street?" Johnny teased. "She is more pretty then you, John. Pretty of course" I teased back and he laughed. "Hey, Steph, do you think you should contact your family? To clear things up?" Sarah's dad said, I didn't even notice him. Usually he is the easiest to spot because of his wide body. He would make a great football player. Maybe I had to just adjust from being 4 hours on that sidewalk. "Umm, I don't know. I don't know what to say to them" I tried to explain. Mr. Ryuzuka then mumbled something under his breathe. I ignored it, not exactly sure what he said, but it sounded pretty much exactly like 'Fake Child'. I must've been going deff too. I just turned and headed for Sarah's room. When I entered she already set up an air matress for me right beside her bed. She laid layers and layers of blankets ontop of one another. She was putting another one ontop of the blue-checkered blanket below it. It might've been the 20th layer. "Sarah, you don't need to do all this for me" I said pointing to her hard work. "Its just a few blankets" - she rolled her eyes - "come on you know how much I like to treat you with things. Now would you like something to drink?" She aksed kindly. "No thanks" Her beautiful house and kind family made me forget all about what happened with my family for a bit, it surprised me, but the thought entered my mind right when I thought about how I forgot about it. Just my luck. "So any new gossip? I'm hearing Oliver is starting to catch your eye" I teased, laying on her bed as she continued to make my bed. I knew that it would be impossible to stop her from making my bed. "Oh, come on, you should know I don't like Oliver like that. Andrew is better then him" She rolled her eyes again. "Oooh, so its Andrew!" I teased. "No way, Andrew? Come on you know me better then that. Hey how bout you? I'm hearing some rumors that your starting to like-" I couldn't let her say the name. I didn't think she knew hwo I liked, but I cut her off anyways. "Andrew and Sarah sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" I teased with a giggle. Andrew was pretty good looking. His spikey black hair and his green eyes seemed like Sarah's type. His eyes were almost neon, he looked pretty good if you ask me. He always would wear jeans and a casual shirt. He dresses nicely though. His shirts don't seem like something he would wear. He is a very classy guy for his looks. "Oh, stop it, Stephanie! Wait till John hears about your new lover!" She teased, cranking up at that. I laughed along with her, but I still didn't think she knew who I liked. "So-" Sarah started, but then someone knocked on her closed door. "Who is it?" Sarah called. "Mom" Mrs. Ryuzuka called back. "Kay, come in" Sarah called again. She opened the door, holding neatly folded clothes and laying ontop of the clothes was a nice new Ipod Touch. That impressed me. The only time I see an Ipod Touch in my house, is if I'm dreaming. My parents would never let me get an MP3 player, let alone an Ipod Touch. "We bought you some new clothes and a music device, Steph" Sarah's mom seemed like it was no big deel, and so did Sarah. Money grew on trees for them. "Thanks so much!" I exclaimed, but then felt bad. "No, I don't think I should take it, Mrs. Ryuzuka. Please, I don't want to impose" I told her. "We didn't buy any of these, Steph. This wa accually to make up for the three years of your birthday we missed" - my birthday is right smack in the middle of spring break and usually Sarah travels somewhere and never gets me a present, but it never bugged me - "so please except these things to make up for the three years" She finished. I was very surprised. The Ryuzuka family was the nicest in town, I'm completely sure. "Are you sure?" I asked a final time. "We even got alot of song put on here. Sarah picked them all out for you, but of course you can buy more" Sarah's mom confirmed with a nod. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!" I exclaimed, hugging Sarah then going to Mrs. Ryuzuka and giving her a big hug. "Thank you!" I said again as she handed me the Ipod Touch and the new clothes. I unfolded the plum colored shirt, that had a beautifuly colored blue peace sign on it. I then unfolded the second shirt, which was white and right on it was Sarah and I's face spread big on the shirt and on the back wrote 'Best friend till the end'. I got teary eyed from that fabulous gift. "Thank you so much, this really touches my heart" and Sarah laughed from my sobbing. "You are sure a cry baby today" She teased, then putting the ready Ipod Touch's headphones in one of my ear and putting the left one in her ear. She then scrolled through the tons of songs already downloaded onto it and found 'Distrubia' by Rihanna, but then I quickly grabbed it and put on 'Right Now' by Akon. She laughed at my song choice. "What?" I asked, thinking she liked this song. "You were blushing. 'I want to make love right now, now now. I want to make love right now, now, now***. I wish we never broke up right now, now, now. Wish we never grow up, now, now, now. We need to link up, now, now, now'" She sang, laughing and from that, I felt perfectly welcomed at the houshold of Sarah's.

Anyways, thats the end of chapter 2! This is just a new beginning, it will get better!

Stephanie's Favorite Song:
Fall for You by Secondhand Serenade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JDeA8uTVU

Sarah's Favorite Song
Human by the Killers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvVOoCKjonY

Right Now (Na, Na, Na) by Akon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvVOoCKjonY

(no, I didn't pick any of these songs because it is my favorite, I put my Ipod on shuffle and these song are the few that came first, so I picked it)

Did you like it? Tell me.

Ch.4

~3 Days Later~

"Hey, Steph. Can I ask you something?" Sarah asked kindly. We skipped school today, Monday, because her parents thought I needed to still rest up a bit because of my family. It seemed weird basically ditching school, but I'll clear everything up tomarrow. "Yeah, what is it Sarah?" I replied.
"Somethings up with my dad. Have you noticed?"
"Kinda. When I stepped in your house, he seemed a bit grumpy"
"No, not just that. . . " She seemed like she had more to say, but she stopped herself from saying another word. Sarah, my very happy friend, turning worried is a very rare sight. "Oh, come on, Sarah. Your dad may just be a bit stressed, it should pass up sometime" I tried to cheer her up, she just turned her head from me, looking at her left wall, the wall that has a big poster of her and her dad. Her Dad was smiling so brightly and hugging Sarah like a bear. Sarah was laughing in the picture, it looked like her dad was tickling her. Overall, it was the most amazing picture I ever saw. My Dad isn't bad, but sometimes I envy Sarah's Dad, but now, he seemed different. "Come on, lets go do something. The mall is just a minute away, we can go there" I said, turning her head towards me. Sarah just nodded ever so slightly. Usually she loves going to the mall, but now she looked like she was going to a funeral. We both walked to the mall, which only took 5 minutes in walking and even when we arrived, Sarah still had the same lifeless look on her face. I tried to fix that and failed the whole entire day to cheer her up.

~The Next Morning: 4 o'clock~

Sarah didn't even say good night to any of her family members, she barely talked to me and now I felt like something was horribly wrong. I looked over to the side of me, where she set an alarm clock by my side. It was only 4 in the morning. I guess Sarah now got me overly worried, I couldn't go to sleep at all. I sat up, looking over to Sarah. She was sleeping clamly, but not the same smiling expression on her face as she sleeps, an expression sowing fear. What was she dreaming about? I wondered then suddenly I heard someone whistling by Sarah's room window. Thats when I freaked out. I layed back down, prettending I was asleep and heard foot steps walk in. I didn't dare to open my eyes, just listening to the sound of a guy break in worried me. Then I heard someone come through Sarah's bedroom door. "I'm glad you came, Larce" I heard Sarah's father's voice. Of course, after the talk we had, this happens. How ironic. "Stan, give the girl to me now!" The harsh voice demanded and I pleaded in my head: Not Sarah. Not Sarah. Not Sarah. "Hurry up Stan!" The voice was harsh, it made me flinch, but I tried to stay calm. "Right, right" Sarah's dad said, now knowing his name was Stan. Really I never knew that. I then felt someone pick me up. Me. I sill pretended I was asleep, but I couldn't help myself from hyperventialting. They didn't detect a thing. My loud breathes didn't break my cover. I was picked up, and BANG! I fell to a dark sleepyness. What hit me? Why me? Why-? Was all thought of until my mind shut off. I was done for, but I didn't feel done for. My mind was still racing with thoughts, but I couldn't see a thing. I couldn't hear anyone, I could just think. Where am I? Was my last and final thought. I then knew where I was. Heaven?

Whats gonna happen to Steph? Wait for the next chapter to find out! I know it all seems rushed, but it will become better!

Ch. 5

I was done for. Now for real. I was just floating in my mind. Was I really even thinking? No, I wasn't breathing. Was I? I didn't even know. Everything was dark, my mind was dark. Where was I? Was I really in heaven? Was I going to Nirvana? Hell? Not, hell, please, not hell. Where was Sarah? I couldn't end my life now. There was still something I had to do, had to admit, I had so much more on my mind then I usually do in school and at school, my mind always races with my different school subjects and my friends. Don't forget about school drama. Though, now, I was thinking out of importance, like right now, if I stop thinking my whole excistance will just die out. Die out like me right now. I had to remain thinking and that was hard too. I was unconcoiuse, was I? I don't even know. There are wispers too. Whispers that are in the back of my mind. What is that? All the people in Heaven? Hell? I quiet my mind down to listen to the whispers. As I stop thinking, like I estimated, I was completely unconsouse. I couldn't think, couldn't speak, just listen now. I had no sight, but sometimes I didn't want to see things. I was done thinking.
"We finally got her in our clutches!"
"What are you going to do to her?"
"Kill her!!"
"No, add her to the treaty!"
"Stupid, if we add her to the treaty, then she will tell Sarha for sure!"
"Then lets kill Sarah first!"
"No, not my daughter Sarah! What did you even need with Stephanie?"
"She will be the next heir to us, to our community"
"And what happens when she doesn't want to join?"
"She dies"
"Or she kills all of us. New borns aren't exactly easy to handle, Lance!"
"Taylor, your a girl, tell me, would she join us?"
"Does she seek evil?"
"Absolutely not"
"Then I will join a treaty with her and wipe you guys out"
"Oh, come on. You know you like being a part of the community"
"Lorence, you're the one who MADE me become one of you! I had no choice! I pleased for you not to, but NO!"
"Calm down, Calm down, Tay."
"Ben, don't get into this!"
"Shut up, all of you! We have a serous task! What do I do with the girl?"
"Hmph, let her become one. Then I could make friends with her and we can become a treaty. Steph, me, and Emmett"
"Enough, Taylor! Your one of us now, there is no changing back!"
"Should I give back her concousness?"
"Well duh! What do we want? An unconsouse victim?"
"Geez, just asking! Taylor, do what you need to"
"Hmph. Fine. Monaclore Awakening!"
Am I alive? Was that just a dream? My vision, it comming back? I felt my mind racing with relief. I'm back. I'm not dead. I'm back. My vision was still blurred out, but I could see the blurred out colors. It seemed like I was surrounded. I just hoped that I was in a room with multicolor walls, but of course, I was surrounded. As I gained my vision, I now was in a nightmare. "Where am I?" I gasped. "Hush now, Steph. Welcome to your new life" And as I saw a really stunning beautiful girl, she come towards me, and pressed her teeth to my neck. I screeched out of the pain, I felt like she completely just cut my neck off. I felt the blood in my veins burn badly, like there was fire set inside my body.

Back to unconsoiusness....

I'll post Ch. 5 later...

Archived