Rock or Heavy Metal?

Cowboy Dan

Rock or Heavy Metal?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Rock or Heavy Metal?

• Rock
    • Heavy Metal

I tend to prefer Heavy Metal and other Metal variants over rock. However, the boundaries tend to be rather blurry. For example, J-Rock is a musical grouping that includes any Japanese "rock" band. Most J-Rock bands tend to share a certain style, which is what leads to it being considered a genre in and of itself, however, it can be hard to classify even a specific band as rock or metal. There's just more variety in between songs. Example: D'espairsRay. They play light rock, hard rock, techno-ish music, Pop Metal, Black Metal, Screamo, Death Metal, Industrial Metal etc. It's all the same band.

I like J-Rock a lot, and a lot of the melodic death metal groups like Sentenced, Charon, Poisonblack. I tend to like Industrial Metal (Mushroomhead for the win). I also love A Perfect Circle, Tool, Disturbed, Mudvayne, Nightwish, Demon Hunter, Lamb of God....

Also, I love country.

I wonder if anyone has had their brain cells damaged for their love of heavy metal

It's a bit of an acquired taste. I started out with Green Day, moved on to Linkin Park, then to System of a Down, Disturbed, before I jumped to Mushroomhead. From there I extended into a variety of bands: Mudvayne, Slipknot, Marilyn Manson, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish.

It took quite a while before I understood what attracted people to the bands that only scream and don't sing. Still, I tend to prefer bands that sing, especially bands that sing well. (D'espairsRay's singer, Hizumi, is better than most country singers I know, and even some Opera singers. That's pretty amazing, as he also screams a lot. You'd think he'd have ripped up his throat.)

Also, Disturbed is considered Hard Rock, Melodic Metal, or Pop Metal, not Nu-Metal. Linkin Park is an example of Nu-Metal, though their newer stuff is rock, not Metal.

Heavy Metal is the term for bands like Deep Purple, Van Halen, Black Sabbath. Metallica is sort of the border between Thrash and Heavy Metal.

I wonder if anyone has had their brain cells damaged for their love of heavy metal

It's a bit of an acquired taste. I started out with Green Day' date=' moved on to Linkin Park, then to System of a Down, Disturbed, before I jumped to Mushroomhead. From there I extended into a variety of bands: Mudvayne, Slipknot, Marilyn Manson, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish.

It took quite a while before I understood what attracted people to the bands that only scream and don't sing. Still, I tend to prefer bands that sing, especially bands that sing well. (D'espairsRay's singer, Hizumi, is better than most country singers I know, and even some Opera singers. That's pretty amazing, as he also screams a lot. You'd think he'd have ripped up his throat.)

Also, Disturbed is considered Hard Rock, Melodic Metal, or Pop Metal, not Nu-Metal. Linkin Park is an example of Nu-Metal, though their newer stuff is rock, not Metal.

Heavy Metal is the term for bands like Deep Purple, Van Halen, Black Sabbath. Metallica is sort of the border between Thrash and Heavy Metal.

[/quote']

I understand. Personally I can't stand the screaming in there. It drives me crazy

Archived