Duel Monster Realm; Dark World Wars. [Chapter 3: Dark World Lightning UP!]

DestinedCardMaker

Chapter 1:

Zure, Knight of Dark World, rushed towards the gates of Brron's manor, desperate to reach it as fast as possible. He pushed his way through the commoners, ignoring their surprise at his hasty movements. As the estate came into view, he noticed that Renge had set himself on the defensive, watching for any intruders.

"Renge! Allow me entry! I must speak with our king!"

Renge, always the silent one, merely nodded as he allowed Zure to bypass him. His azure-shaded cape flowed in the wind as his sprint brought him to Brron's throne room.

"My king! I request an audience!", Zure barked, impatient.

Behind the door, Brron, "Mad" King of Dark World, twitched. He had just awoken at Zure's words. "Come in, Zure. What seems to be troubling you?" His last sentence was spoken, as Zure pushed open the door, walking past the guards at the door.

"My liege." Zure dropped to one knee, never forgetting his place. "I have received word from Scarr and his scouts. They seem to have noticed that the Archfiends army have begun to mobilize... in our direction."

The goblet full of crimson fluid Brron had been drinking fell to the ground as he choked. "What?! Terrorking... he wouldn't. We JUST agreed on an armistice!"

Zure's gaze cut to the side, not wanting to see his king's rage. "I cannot explain it any further. Rally our troops; we must be off soon. I am sure you will be expecting a messenger as well, informing you of his intentions. If they are of anything other than war, notify me and I will not mobilize. But if it is war that Terrorking Archfiend desires, I will bring it to his doorstep in full dress." With that, he got to his feet, bowing his head. "My liege." He turned on his heels, leaving the room.

Brron laced his fingers together, thinking silently. A small smirk grew upon his lips, then grew into a crazed smile. "Zure, I could not have said it better. If he wants war, he will receive it in full dress!" With that, a crazed laugh escaped his lip-less mouth. He was not called the "Mad King" for no reason.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Zure took his time in leaving Brron's estate. Drawing his sword, he gazed at the beauty of it's clear light blue blade. It would be a shame to drench such a gorgeous weapon in the blood of enemies.

As he walked, he hadn't noticed that he had reached Renge once more. Looking down on Zure, Renge spoke. "What was the problem, Zure?"

Zure shot his gaze upwards towards Renge, startled. "Oh. You surprised me. It seems our neighboring feudal lord, Terrorking Archfiend, has grown tiresome if holding such little land, and wishes to trade blows with us."

Renge stood silent for a moment, the answered, "War once more..?"

Zure nodded, knowing Renge disliked the call to arms as much as their people would once notified. All war brought was higher taxes and strife. "Fear not, Renge. I hope to end this as fast as is possible. but I must leave; we will speak at a later time. Until then, Renge."

Renge nodded, and Zure left the estate, heading towards his own keep. Renge himself began to think of the chaos that would ensue soon; if they were left crippled, the Agents could come and wage their war as well. Or maybe the Lightsworns would sweep them aside once this war was over? It could only lead them down a dark, treacherous road.

What do you think?

Chapter 2: Archfiend's Oath

TerrorKing Archfiend sat at the head of the meeting table, which was now full with the arrival of his InfernalQueen. His menacing, ruby optics moved around the oval table, taking in every feature of his trusted officials. InfernalQueen Archfiend had taken her seat on his right, her fingers entwined with his. DarkBishop Archfiend sat on his left, his demonic staff atop the table before him. The skull which crowned the staff seemed to glow slightly, proof of it's strength. DesRook was at the queen's left, the maniacal grin plastered on his face his greatest distinction. ShadowKnight was seated beside DarkBishop, resting his blade-arm on the table. Archfiend General sat across from the king, his sword - a weapon fashioned from the spine of a Cave Dragon - sheathed before him. Satisfied, TerrorKing spoke.

"My trusted advisers... I have called upon you all today for a reason I'm sure you have already realized." TerrorKing's voice was smug as they all nodded, InfernalQueen grinning. "We have let ourselves be pushed around for far too long. The rightful rulers of Dark World are the Archfiends. Brron and his people have kept the seat from us. What say we to this? Nothing. We have allowed them to prosper. But no more." His left fist slammed upon the table, causing them all to become more alert, sit straighter. "We will not lose. Our war will be waged!"

None dared make a sound for a few moments as the King resumed his former regal attitude. The first to speak was the General, first clearing his throat. "Sire, might I say that we do not have the man power needed to win this war? Our army is but a third of their own. We would be cast aside easily."

TerrorKing had thought this out as well. A wicked smirk caused his crimson orbs to glint. "I have already notified others of our cause. I never did tell you that this was not my only region. I control more land to the south. We have a massive army, one that is moving closer each day. I have already mobilized a few of our troops, feigning having such a marginal amount. They will be overwhelmed, and we shall crush them like flies."

DarkBishop joined the discussion, asking, "And who leads the forces you have summoned?"

InfernalQueen cackled with glee. "Distant family. The Skull Archfiend of Lightning nears us with his army, and the Archfiend of Gilfer comes with his forces as well. I have also called upon my cousin, Mist Archfiend, to lend us his various infiltrating abilities. We have covered almost all the bases."

DesRook intervened. "Almost all? What can you mean?"

TerrorKing answered for his queen. "DarkBishop will see to it that the Ritual of the Matador is begun soon." All gasped except for the Queen, who had been told beforehand. "We need to CRUSH them. I suspect they also will have unknown forces at play." Lifting his left palm upward, he exclaimed, "My throne will be the ONLY throne in all of Dark World! I will become the undisputed king!" His gaze dropped to his officials. "With your power along with my own tactics and power, we shall reign supreme."

All of them turned the thought over in their minds. It seemed so secure it could work. One by one, they agreed to see the war through. Grinning, TerrorKing stood, finally releasing his Queen's hand. He grasped his awe-inspiring sword, a crystalline weapon with jagged spike protruding from the main blade, and thrust it upward. "To our supremacy!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Brron had a meeting of his own in session. Th figures kept to the darkness, but from their positions it was clear that all except Zure were superior to him. Their seats were higher than his own, two at the same level and one, a throne really, the highest. A massive being was seated upon the throne, holding what seemed to be a two-pronged staff with many different hues at his side. To his left, a creature holding an enormous golden ax stared down at Brron and Zure, who held the lowest seat. To the being's right, two silver daggers, thin and lethal, glimmered in the twilight that shone into their meeting.

"That is the bulk of it, my lords. We have seen them mobilizing. We cannot let them prevail. We have only one Overlord, and that is you, sire." He directed his last statement towards the highest seat, the being seated nodding in acknowledgment. "May we request your assistance in this battle, in and when we need it? I have dealt with countless struggles in the past, but something does not sit well with me about the Archfiends. They are more devious than we give them credit for." He fingered the chains that lay about his form, his weapon and defense. "I have never asked for your aid before, my superiors, but this time, it may be different."

The one to the 'Overlord''s right spoke in a silky, dangerous voice. It was polite, but it merely disguised the venom it always possessed. "I shall lend my forces to you should you need them, Brron. You have never failed us before, and your rule is sound."

The one to the left spoke in a huskier tone, but his voice was every bit as menacing as the wielder of the silver dagger's was. "If they commit underhanded tactics, my forces will aid you as well." He turned his ax slightly in his palm, allowing it to catch one of the last rays of light before dusk. "This ax shall taste blood once more if they so desire."

The 'Overlord' listened to them both, his gaze set upon Brron the entire time. His voice was deep, expressing his power, and expectations of total obedience. Raising his staff, he slammed it once more upon the ground. In what seemed more like a bellow than a dismiss, he commanded, "Then we have agreed. We shall teach these chaos inducing mongrels what power is should they step a centimeter out of line. I do not tolerate chaos, not in my realm. The Archfiends will learn to respect Dark World and it's one true ruler." The two lords at his sides knelt at these words, as did Brron and Zure, shocked with the amount of power his very words carried. "I have ruled far too long, kept the peace far too long for these cretins to think they can destroy it, and much less, dethrone me. Is my rule not just?"

"Yes, Overlord!", they all shouted in unison, even Zure, who was new to the meeting.

"Will it continue to be so?"

"Yes, Overlord!"

"Then let us destroy those who believe in obstructing the peace. The war shall be waged, and won!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elsewhere, Archfiend of Gilfer flew along with his air armada, consisting of Cyber Tech Alligators and Fiend Skull Dragons, as well as Banderillero Fiends, dragon-like demons who lusted for battle. His muscular arms were tucked against his sides as his majestic wings carried him onward, towards his cousin's manor. Gazing at the ground, he spotted the Skull Archfiend of Lightning charging forward, the VilePawn Archfiends, along with his own legions of Mad Archfiends, Picador Fiends - winged knights atop dead rams, attuned to each other, the perfect duo -, and Cyber Archfiends, metallic demons who were a rank above VilePawns.

"Brother!", Archfiend of Gilfer called, a smirk crossing his face. "We head towards the battlefield; such a thrill, is it not?"

Skull Archfiend nodded, never slowing his accelerated pace. "This is naught but a stepping stone in the long history that will be the Archfiends; the Dark World rulers will be dethroned, and we will rule Darkworld! TerrorKing is wise. He will lead us well."

Gilfer agreed. "We shall serve him well in this battle. Let us hope we do not get the same surprises he has in store for them, right brother?"

Skull was going to answer, but had received a message. His roar was one of glee and awe. "Brother! TerrorKing... he plans on performing the Ritual of the Matador! This battle is ours, and all after it shall be as well!"

Gilfer bellowed as well, the monsters flanking him roaring with glee. "We hold Dark World in our mighty grasp! I can feel our king sitting in his rightful throne already!"

The brothers pressed onward, invigorated with the news of the unholy rites that would surely seal their victory, should all their plans come to fruition.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 3: Dark World Lightning

Zure walked out of the meeting shocked. Brron led the way back to his throne room, silent as well. It had been the first time Zure had ever seen Reign-Beaux, Overlord of Dark World. His power was limitless, well, it felt that way to Zure. Finally able to speak, he asked, "Why did you bring me to that meeting? Why not Gren, our tactician? Surely he should have taken my place."

Brron chuckled darkly, looking over his shoulder. "I brought you because I trust in you, Zure. You will be leading my troops, not Gren. Thus, you needed to meet with our true rulers."

"Who were the other two?"

"Sillva, Warlord of Dark World, was the one with the two daggers. His assassination ability is unrivaled. He leads an assassination squad, which can be helpful in our upcoming battles. He is also almost unmatched on the battlefield."

"And the other?"

"Goldd, Wu-Lord of Dark World. He is higher in rank than Sillva. As you saw, he's more of the Berserker type. He is the only leader, besides Reign-Beaux, who can command the Monk's of Dark World and their leader, Celri. Thus, he has taught them to be ruthless in battle."

Zure listened, thinking. What was he to these mighty leaders? He had not even heard of Celri and his Monks until now. How much more had been hidden from him? "Brron, my lord, what shall we do to prepare?"

By now, they had reached and entered Brron's quarters. He dropped into his throne, sighing. "Contact Scarr and tell him to keep a close eye on the mobilizing troops he saw before, as well as spreading his scouts all around the Archfiend's capital. Find Gren and bring him to me; we have much to discuss. You should also meet with our soldiers and let them know we are now officially at war, and ready them accordingly."

Zure nodded, bowing in respect, then left Brron to his thoughts as he went to fulfill his duties. He wrapped his fingers around the hilt of his sword, nervous. Nothing good can come from war, when so many civilians and soldiers alike can fall. As he thought about this, he noticed Broww, Huntsman of Dark World, speaking to Renge at the gate. Rushing towards them, Zure called, "Broww! It's been too long."

Renge and Broww turned to Zure, waving towards him as he reached their position. Broww grinned, shaking hands with Zure. "How goes it, my friend?"

Zure sighed, cutting his gaze to the side. "We are heading towards war, Broww. We will also need your archers, I'm sure. Did Brron already speak to you about this?"

Broww nodded, fiddling with his bow. "It's hard not to guess at it as well. The people are nervous; they have seen some of the Archfiend's in neighboring cities head towards their capital, distancing themselves from us. The skies crackle with the lightning that always warns of war: Dark World Lightning. I only hope we do not lose this battle, nor be weak after."

Zure and Renge nodded, Renge adding to the conversation. "If only we could thwart this problem before it became one. Our people do not deserve this. We may be creatures of darkness, but that does not mean we do not believe in laws, in the balance of power. Why do they seek to tip it in their favor?"

Zure shook his head, his words full of sorrow. "We have no choice but to show them up and subdue their chaotic tendencies." He had not noticed how much time had passed, and knew he had to leave his comrades and follow through with the commands given to him. "I would love to stay and chat, but I have to tend to certain affairs. May we meet again before our fist battle." They nodded in agreement, saying their goodbye's as Zure headed towards Scarr's tent.

Scarr was a tad different from most Dark World generals. He preferred to live simple, without luxuries. It kept him on his toes, he always said. Zure understood his true motives behind it; Scarr would never be distracted by such simple things. It was one reason why he was their best scout. He could discover hidden passages, secret entrances into other cities, and allow their sieges to succeed. As Zure reached his tent, Scarr was already walking towards him, having felt his presence early on.

"What brings you to my humble living arrangements, Zure?" Zure bowed in respect, but Scarr grabbed his shoulder before he could, shaking his head. "We are equals, Zure. You needn't bow to me."

Zure grinned, standing and nodding. "I came to spread the word of our king. He has insisted that you continue to keep a close eye on the soldiers that move in the Archfiend's territory. You must also spread your scouts around the Archfiend's capital, so we may have access to more Intel before they become truly hostile."

Scarr nodded, his scarlet irises locked upon Zure. "It will be as good as done. We have noticed a slight change in their march: they seem to be slowing, maybe close to some vantage point were they may set up camp. If you can, report this to our king. I shall inform my scouts of our new objectives. Thank you, Zure." With that, he returned to his tent, gathering his weapons before leaving to inform his scouts.

Zure stopped him before he left. "Can you tell me where Gren can be found? I seem to have forgotten where he resides; it has been far too long."

Scarr looked to the lightning-filled sky, pondering. "I believe his manor is this way." He pointed towards the city, the southern gate. "You should find him there."

"Thank you." With a bow, Zure turned and headed towards Gren's manor, feeling accomplished. Heading into the city, he was stopped by a shriek that was cut off. He darted in the direction of the noise, grasping the hilt of his sword preemptively. As he turned into the alley that he believed the scream had come from, he took in the unfolding drama.

A woman was pressed against the wall at the end of the valley, he clothing torn in several places. She was struggling against her captor, a drunk Vanguard of Dark World. He held the blade of his pike against her throat, his drunk grin enough to realize his intentions. "Come on hun, don't do this... no screaming and you get out alive, k?" He placed the flat side of his weapon against her cheek, pressing it in. "Or you'll get cut into so many pieces the children will use you as a jigsaw puzzle. Better off like this, eh?"

Before the woman could respond, although her mouth had been covered the entire time, Zure stepped forward, unsheathing his crystalline blade. The sound of the sword's edge against the mouth of the scabbard gave him away, causing the vanguard to slap the woman with the flat side of the pike's blade, knocking her unconscious. "You?! What do you want? I'm not done with her..." He raised his pike into a fighting stance, the shock of being caught pushing him towards sobriety.

Zure smirked, readying himself as well, wrapping both hands around the hilt of the sword. "I will not allow you to take advantage of this woman. You are a warrior in our army; you were taught better than this."

The vanguard didn't listen to Zure, shaking his head in rage. "I do as I please!" With that, he thrust his pike forward, the thin blade flying towards Zure. Zure smacked it away with the flat side of his sword, but the vanguard spun, using the momentum to attempt to catch Zure off-guard. He stopped the attack once again, but the vanguard had edged closer to Zure, his hands higher on the pike. They traded parries, Zure toying with the vanguard as he struggled with his pike, his balance nonexistent due to his inebriation. Soon enough, a smack of the flat side of the blade against the vanguards knuckles caused him to drop the weapon. He placed the point of the sword against the soldier's forehead, causing a drop of blood to slide down the blade.

"You can go now; I'm sure they'll replace your pike when you return." The vanguard, defenseless, merely nodded clumsily and hobbled out of the alley, ashamed and embarrassed. Zure turned to the woman, who was gawking at him, in awe. "What is the matter, m'lady?"

The woman shook her head, smiling shyly. "It's true what they say; you're a defender of the commoners. Thank you." She stood and ran towards him, kneeling and kissing his hand when she got to him. Zure looked around, uncomfortable. As she left go, he sheathed his sword, making sure to clean it with one of the tattered pieces of the woman's shirt.

"You can return to your family now, the problem has been dealt with." With that, he stepped out of the alley, the other commoners watching him with admiration and respect. He knew he had an influence over his people, but would never act on it. It was his way. He headed towards Gren's estate, hoping to finish with him quickly so he could address his soldiers about what had just occurred.

Archived