Yu-Gi-Oh! Zeta Function (Chapters: 1)

bury the year

The most incomprehensible thing about our universe is that it can be comprehended.

-Albert Einstein

[align=center]Yu-Gi-Oh! Zeta Function – Chapter 1

Introducing the Variable[/align]

“And there concludes our tournament championship match! Congratulations to our winner, Kai Kamishiwa, for defeating the 5-time champion, Ruka Tops! Everyone, give Kai a round of applause for the masterful performance that he put on today!” The emcee gestured, and the camera that was currently trained on him panned over to the sides of a massive stadium, filled to bursting with thousands of cheering fans. Some of them were holding up giant signs, declaring their allegiances to the two duelists who had recently faced off. “I

“On behalf of the Rykio City Dueling Commission Board, I would like to present the winner of this year’s Duel Monsters Tournament Grand Prix, Kai Kamishiwa, with $10000 of prize money! Congratulations! Now, we will open the floor up for interviews with our new champ-”

*click*

“That was one of the worst duels of my life.” Kai Kamishiwa tossed the remote off his bed, and stared glumly at the small TV in his rather messy bedroom. “I made too many amateur mistakes, and I almost always had a hole in my defenses somewhere. Just look at the part with Dark Armed Dragon! He had those 2 cards face-down, and I had no clue what they were! I should have just bombed them and swept in! Urgh!” Yanking his hair, he dropped onto the bed, and pulled a small deckbox out from his pocket. Undoing the latch in a well-practiced motion, he slid the box’s contents out, and began to scan the cards effortlessly, reading through each of them. “Lessee, I need 2 more Solemn Judgements, another Revived Ambitions...”

“Hey, I know what!” Kai literally jumped off of his bed, sending the carefully arranged cards spiraling off onto the floor. However, he didn’t notice that, for he was too deep in epiphany to care. “I’ll head down to the Duel Park! Maybe there I can try a different strategy!” After this exclamation, though, he slumped to the floor dejectedly. “Maybe that’s not the best idea, since the tournament was just 3 days ago... Oh well, there’s nothing wrong with trying! Right?” he asked to nobody in particular. “Now, I just need to pick up these cards...”

-:-:-:-:-:-:-

About 15 minutes later, Kai had finished assembling his deck, making some minor changes in the process, and literally flew out of his bedroom onto the bike he bought with his winning, which was lying against the side of his garage. Costing a good $1000, it was worth every penny to him, because it came with a customized paint job and finely-tuned gears that spun as smoothly as if they were just oiled. Test-spinning the pedals, Kai flew out of the garage door, and onto the road that led to Duel Park, the biggest recreational dueling area in the whole of Rykio City.

Rykio City was, as a whole, one of the best destinations in the world for dueling, besides Domino. Built 30 years ago, the city wasn’t originally anything special, built mainly for tourists to enjoy its strategic location along the ocean shore. However, an entrepreneur, Shel Regent, soon moved into the little city, and began construction on the Regent Dueling Dome, one of the most massive dueling-related projects of the current era. When it finished 7 years later, it soon became a dueling landmark, for not only the sheer size, but also for the high-class duelists that attended it. The city soon opened its arms to the influx of duelists, and Rykio City is now reliant on the income that all of the eager players bring with them.

This mini-history floated through Kai’s head as he biked down the road his seaside house was on, admiring the ocean view. He loved Rykio City, and was hopefully going to stay there “‘till I can play now longer,” as he said once. However, Kai had 1 goal in mind; to get to Bellerophon Card Shop before it closed. Swiftly turning down a left-hand alley, Kai sped around the bend, and found himself parked outside of the small card shop in which he learned how to play the game. Pulling a bike lock out of his pocket, he snapped it around the bike and a nearby lamppost, swung open the door, and stepped into the fluorescent lights of his home away from home.

“Heya, Kai! What’cha be gettin’ today!” This exclamation came from Sudare Sanrou, the man who taught Kai how to play the game of Duel Monsters, and one of his greatest idols. 45 years old, but not looking a day over 30, he had a rather laid-back attitude, which was reflected in his long brown hair, which was kept in a messy ponytail, the glasses held together with masking tape, and the fact that he was barefoot. He also was holding a black flask in his right hand, and the faint odor emitting from it told Kai that it was sake, one of Sudare’s favorite drinks. He only brought it to the shop when he was celebrating, which was quite often. “I heard ‘bout your victory in da tournament! Here, ‘ave a pack on da house! A girl came by ‘dis morning, an’ told me ta ‘give it to dat kid who won da tourney if ‘ee comes by!’” With this statement, he flipped a pack of cards from seemingly out of nowhere and slid it across the counter towards Kai. “Never seen a pack like it before, and I’ve seen dem all!”

Kai pulled the pack off of the counter and began to examine it. It was quite unusual, because unlike the other packs of cards, it was very nondescript. The only think that was on its white foil wrapper was a gray logo in the shape of a circle with 2 arcs on it. Or, that’s at least how Kai could describe it. Tearing the pack open, he slid out the contents fanned them out, and looked them over. What he saw shocked him.

“These…”

“Ee-yes?” Sudare had sidled over to Kai with a gleam of interest in his eye.

“These are exactly what I needed!” Kai gushed out as he spread the cards out on the table. “Look! 2 Solemn Judgments, a Revived Ambitions, a few Plotting Kuribohs… Awesome! Thanks, Sudare-san! Wait a sec, though.” He pulled an unfamiliar card out, and held it up to the light. “What’s this?”

“Eh?” Sudare whipped the card out of Kai’s outstretched hand, and examined it carefully. The card was normal on the back, but the front was pure white. It wasn’t even the synchro-monster white; it was just white. As if someone got bored and forgot to print it. “Hold onto that sucker, they can be worth a lot in trades. Trust me, ya’ll wanta’.”

“You sure?” Kai looked up quizzically at his idol.

“‘Ave I ever been wrong?” Sudare clapped a hand against his charge’s shoulder.

“There was that one time with the soup bowl...” Kai started.

“Ohlookatthetimeshop’sclosin’now!” Saying that entirely in one breath, Sudare pushed Kai out the door of the shop and slammed it behind him. He then fell to the ground, panting. “Whew, that was a close ‘un...” He then pulled a small cellphone out of his pocket, flipped it open, and began to type a message in rapidly.

To: zeta_actais

Subject: First step successful.

Message: I’ve given the pack to the target. Gimme a signal when the next step is ready.

Breathing in, Sudare clicked SEND, and exhaled when the blip of the pager told him the message was sent. ”I hope I’m not putting you in over your head, Kai...”

Approximately 15 minutes later, Kai found himself outside the gates of Regent Memorial Duel Park, one of the greatest attractions in the city for young duelists. It was rather spacious and green, with multiple small open-air arenas for duelists to use. It even had a kiosk with refreshments and rentable Duel Disks, for those unlucky people whose personal ones weren’t working. However, Kai knew where he was going. Locking his bike into a nearby rack, he raced off, following the numbers lining the small plots. “16, 17, ah, here we are.” He hurried into the small arena, looking around as if he were expecting someone. “Hey, guys! I’m here!”

“KAI-KUN!” The small group of people that were milling around in the center of the lot suddenly exploded as a dark-skinned girl rushed out of them and engulfed Kai in a flying glomp-attack. “How are ya doing?!”

“Uh, good, Ellie.” The girl who had impacted with Kai was Ellie Branson, the sixth-ranked duelist in all of Rykio City and Kai’s best friend since kindergarten. From her bleach-blond hair bouncing in neat layers to her black top and orange pants, she radiated pep wherever she went. The two of them had shared a love for dueling since birth, where they met as toddlers at a tournament that their parents were participating in. Their platonic relationship only blossomed from there, with the two meshing perfectly; Kai’s quietness to her exuberance. “So,” she started, “I saw your victory the other day.”

“I know,” Kai said, hanging his head in shame. “It sucked, didn’t it?”

“No way, silly! You did awesome!” She jumped into the air, pulling Kai’s arm up with her. “That was one of the most hardcore duels I’ve seen in a long time! You were all, like, amazing, with that big attack at the end. It rocked!” She twirled him around, and suddenly stopped, almost sending Kai whirling. “Hey, I got an idea!”

“Yeah?” Shaking his head to clear it of the spirals that had invaded his vision, Kai turned to look at Ellie. “Like what?”

“Since you’re the new Rykio City dueling champion and all... D’ya wanna duel?” Nudging her foot against the ground, she looked up at Kai, and pulled off the best puppy face she could muster.

“Umm...” Kai was caught off guard by the request; even though he was in a dueling park, he only came to talk, not play. “Eh, fine. Why not.”

“Great!” Ellie jumped up, and dove into a nearby messenger bag. Sticking her arm in, she withdrew something at lightning-fast speed and hurled it at Kai. “Seeing as you don’t have your Duel Disk, I thankfully brought two! What a coincidence, eh?”

“Sure...” Looking down at the object Ellie had hurled at him, Kai could see that it was, in fact, a Duel Disk. Sliding it onto his arm and fiddling the straps into place, he stopped for a second, and looked up at Ellie. “Wait.”

“Yeah?” Ellie looked up from loading her deck into the slot on the Duel Disk to peer up at Kai.

“What Deck are you gonna be using?”

“I think I’ll be using a new deck I’ve been working on for the past few days. No-one else has seen it yet, so this little duel will be a whole new experiment for me. So, lesse if I can beat the new dueling king of Rykio City!” With these words, she started to saunter off into the center of the concrete dueling arena.

”Yeah, lesse...” Kai dejectedly thought to himself, before following her into the ring.

A few short minutes later, Kai and Ellie were positioned at opposing ends of the arena. All of the other kids that were milling around with the initial group were now sitting on a pair of bleachers that lined the field, intently waiting for the duel to start. The energy in the air was almost tangible, for everyone was excited for the duel to start.

“‘Kay, Kai, you know the rules, right?” Ellie was standing tall on her side, hands on hips.

“Yeah, I know. 4000 Life Points.” Kai gave a goofy grin in response. “Now, let’s not keep our audience waiting, shall we?”

“We shall. Ready?” The Duel Disk on her arm slid out, anticipating use.

“I’m born ready, and you know it.” Kai did likewise, triggering the mechanism on his left arm.

“Let’s do it. DUEL!”

This is the fanfic for which I made the application thread for a few weeks back. Don't nag me if I don't update this when you want me to; this is going to revolve around my schedule, and mine only. I'm also not taking character applications at the moment, so don't ask.

[spoiler=Episode Location List]

Chapter 1 - Post 1

Archived