Searing Fields of Fate (Chapter 3, Lost and Found, posted)

Dad

[spoiler=Prologue]

Mason grew up happy; he'd lived in a grand home, with two loving parents as an only child, with as many gifts as he pleased. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't some spoiled rich kid who couldn't give a damn about the outside, but man, this kid had it all. On December 1st of 2012, his parents took a business conference at their home. Mason, now 16 at the time, was off at school partaking in his least favorite subject, Chemistry.

"If you'll notice class, the electron negativity increases as you move across the periodic table blah blah blah," said Ms. Greenbaum. Mason was already ahead of the class, and was "wishing she would teach something more my level. Heh." Meanwhile, at home, mom and pops' meeting had gone underway.

"We've established several new security levels around the project, and both myself and my wife each hold a key card, which is the only way of accessing the project. Our proposal is $200,000.00 per day, as the project ways a hefty value, and we may have bounty on our heads." Pops said in his seat next to mom, holding her hand.

"If I may speak," said the stranger from across the room. "While you have been a valuable employee Mr. Nichols, the company cannot have you in possession of such a valuable key card." A light shone from the man's waist line, as the silver lining of his gun shined into pops' eyes. "I'm sorry Mr. Nichols, but your services are no longer required."

Gunshots rang out through the home, and nearby neighbors could do nothing more than alert the local police. Mason was called down to the Principal's office later, in order to receive the utterly dreadful news. "I'm sorry Mason, but they didn't make it." Mason's eyes flooded with tears of heat. He couldn't speak. All he wanted to do was get revenge.

"Would you like to check out Mason?" He nodded, as he pressed the pale numbers on the telephone, which slowly began to get blurrier. "Aunty? Can you come and get me from school? I'm not feeling so good." He gathered his things from home, and for the next 4 years, he would be home schooled at his Aunt's home, until he finally got a dream career.

"I will avenge my parents. No matter who gets in my way, I will find their murderer and bring him to his knees!" In other realms, the murderer, now identified as Warren Butler, had already accessed the "project", and would soon introduce it into the gaming industry. "A single card, to bring all of Kaibacorp and it's sponsors to my mercy. I'll be the richest, most powerful man on the face of the Earth."

A dark laugh cackled through the night, leaving a cold sweat on Mason's forehead. "Mom. Pops. I'm coming."

[spoiler=[b]Chapter 1, Making It Known[/b]]

The stands were filled with the cheeriest crowd. People had come from around the country to Karakura to witness the extraordinary championship, where Kayla was about to be once again, dominant. Her long green hair met her thighs, as she waved a hand to her beloved fans. The announcer picked up his microphone as the opponent's life points were reduced to zero.

"And there you have it ladies and gentlemen! Kayla is victorious!" the crowd cheered madly, as roars of "Kayla! Kayla!" could be heard several miles from the stadium. "The final bout is just moments away! We'll give a 5-minute break to our duelists so that they may gather their thoughts. We'll be right back!" The announcer placed his mic back on the podium and proudly shook Kayla's hand. "You did great Kayla," he gleamed.

She gave a broad smile and hugged the announcer. "Thanks Uncle Mac." She took off down the nearest exit and headed to the concession stands. "Man, I'm starved. Think I'll get some-- OOF!" She fell on her bottom and dusted off her shoes. "Watch where you're going kid!" Mason only stared at her. He chuckled as he helped her to her feet.

"What's so damn funny?" she asked. "I could have fallen on my duel disk. And if it would've broken, I would have broken your face." Mason scoffed as he introduced himself. "It's nice to meet you too. The name's Mason, and I'll be your next opponent." She didn't smile or smirk, she only glared into his face. "And your point? You're going to lose regardless, so don't get ahead of yourself." As she began to walk away, he grabbed her arm.

"I'll say this: You bumped into me. Don't get cocky just because you're the champion." She yanked her arm free and got in line for her favorite snack. "Chili cheese nachos. Awesome," she grinned as she grabbed and payed for her plate.

--The Final Bout--

He wasn't well known, but he was going to make sure he didn't leave the stadium without being such. "You ready Kayla?" Uncle Jack gripped her shoulder tightly as she nodded in compliance. Mason loaded his disk and stared into her sparkling blue-pearled eyes. "Let's go," he said. Jack took the mic from the podium as he announced, "The Final Bout is now! Begin!"

Mason and Kayla shouted in unison "Duel!" and Mason made the first move.

Mason: I draw! Not a bad start. I'll set two face-downs, and set 1 monster. (A grin crossed his face.) I end my turn.

Kayla: My turn then. Draw! Hmm, a little sticky, but I like this hand. I'll set my own face-down card and activate Card of Safe Return. As long as it remains on the field, I can draw a card each time a monster is Special Summoned from my Graveyard. But before I end my turn, I summon Botanical Lion in Attack Position!

Larger than life, a plant bearded lion made his way to the field. His thorned paws and body made for a fearsome appearance.

ATK: 1600

DEF: 2000

Kayla: Botanical Lion, attack his face-down monster!

Botanical Lion barraged across the field and pounced on the face-down monster, destroying it instantly.

Kayla: Alright! A good kill!

Mason sighed as he wagged a "no no" finger at her.

Kayla: What's the problem?

Mason: There's no problem, yet. See, you destroyed my Pyramid Turtle, and thanks to you, I can bring a Zombie-type monster from my deck to the field with a defense of 2000 or less. So join me in welcoming Zombie Master!

What appeared to be a young boy stood now alone in the middle of the field. Under him the ground began to quake and mold. It grew rotten, as hundreds of skulls appeared below him.

ATK: 1800

DEF: 0000

Kayla: Not too shabby, for an amateur. I can't believe I fell for that. Ugh, this is going to be a long match. I end my turn.

Mason: So soon? Well then, I draw! You think that was good? Wait until you get a load of this. Activate field spell card, Zombie World!

The field gathered fog from either side, and dead bodies poked their heads from large hills of filth and dismay. This truly was the land of the dead.

Mason: Take a look at your Botanical Lion now.

Kayla focused now on her Botanical Lion, which was no longer vibrant and full of energy. It had become gloomy and old, it's eyes dripping from it's face.

Kayla: What the hell? What did you do?!

Mason: Simple: I turned all monsters on our field and in our Graveyards into Zombies! And now, I'm going to introduce you to the power of the undead. MY power! I'll activate my own Card of Safe Return, and summon Mezuki from my hand!

A two-ton, muscular horse wielding a giant black axe landed heavily on the field. It stared demonically at Botanical Lion.

ATK: 1700

DEF: 800

Mason: Mezuki, attack Botanical Lion!

Mezuki slashed easily into the undead King of the Jungle's face, and watched as it corroded into the ground.

Mason: 8000

Kayla: 7900

Mason: That's just the beginning. Zombie Master, attack her life points directly!

Zombie Master cackled insanely as he ran towards Kayla, dropping large skulls on her head, and sweeping her.

Kayla: 6100

Kayla: Oww! So you got in a lucky hit, big deal! You won't get far!

Mason: We'll see. We'll see!

END CHAPTER 1

[spoiler=[b]Chapter 2, Satisfaction Guaranteed]

Mason didn't want to appear to over confident. He'd decided to end quietly.

Mason: With a face-down, I end.

Kayla: Hmph. Draw! Activate, Mystical Space Typhoon!

A strong wind picked up in the air, and lightning devoured the skies.

Mason: After my field card eh? It won't stay gone for long.

The corroded ground of corpses began to return to it's original state.

Kayla: Whatever. I activate now, my Monster Reborn! Say hello once more to Botanical Lion!

The King of the Jungle emerged from the ground in all his glory, roaring with pride.

Kayla: And thanks to Card of Safe Return, I can draw one card each time a monster is Special Summoned from my Graveyard. But don't worry,(she said drawing her card) you won't have to deal with him for long. I release my Botanical Lion to Advance Summon Gigaplant, in Attack Position!

A giant, red snouted plant with hundreds of teeth appeared before Mason, sending horror into his eyes. It's many arms flailed about, digging themselves into the ground.

ATK: 2400

DEF: 1200

Kayla: And to think I drew just the card I need. I'll activate Double Summon! Now I can turn my Gigaplant, into an effect monster! With it's effect in play, I can Special Summon one Plant from my Graveyard. Botanical Lion returns!

Botanical Lion just won't stay down will he?

Mason: Draw your card then. But next time, don't play so recklessly. I activate my Trap Card, Torrential Tribute! Because you summoned a monster, my trap will destroy all monsters on the field!

Kayla drew her card, only to watch her hard work go down in flames.

Kayla: But-- Grr! I'm not through with you! I set 1 face-down card of my own and end my turn.

Mason: Now then, I draw. I'll show you a technique I've been waiting to cook up. You're the perfect pawn for me to test it on. Activate Spell Card, Giant Trunade!

Kayla raised a hand of her own this time, countering Mason's Giant Trunade.

Kayla: Here's my Trap Card! Dark Bribe! It negates your spell card, but allows you to draw 1.

A hooded figure bowed before Mason, as he crushed his Giant Trunade, and delivered Mason a card.

Mason: Oooookay. Thanks I guess. She foiled it. Lucky. Activate, Book of Life! Now I may Special Summon 1 Zombie Monster from my Graveyard, and in the process, will remove your Gigaplant in your Graveyard from play! I revive my Zombie Master!

The fiendish child emerged from the Grave and surrounded himself by his toy skulls.

While Zombie Master received a warm welcome from Mason, Kayla gave her goodbyes as Gigaplant was removed from the game.

Mason: As you know, Card of Safe Return activates, and I draw 1. Not bad. Here's something for you. I summon Breaker the Magical Warrior, in Attack Position!

A caped warrior stood proudly on the field, a mystic aura surrounding him.

ATK: 1900

DEF: 1000

Mason: When Breaker is summoned, he gains a Spell Counter, increasing his ATK by 300 points. If I choose to remove that counter, I can destroy 1 Spell or Trap on the field. I'll do so, and destroy your face-down card!

Kayla: My Mirror Force!

Breaker the Magical Warrior charged swiftly in, and swiped at the face down card with his sword. Successfully, he cut the card in half, and shattered it into pieces.

Mason: Now, Zombie Master, Breaker the Magical Warrior, attack her life points!

Zombie Master bonked Kayla in the head several hundred times, as Breaker stabbed Kayla in her stomach.

Kayla: 2700

Mason: I end my turn.

Kayla fell to her knees, and painfully drew her card.

Kayla: I play. . Lightning. . . VORTEX!

A swift Lighting Storm covered the field, and zapped both Zombie Master and Breaker the Magical Warrior to their deaths.

Mason: Lucky draw! It won't happen again!

Kayla: Shut up. SHUT UP! You won't win this. I won't allow it! I summon Blazewing Butterfly!

A fiery butterfly dove onto the playing field covered in flames. It had a beautiful but fearsome appearance.

ATK: 1500

DEF: 1500

Kayla: None of the cards in my hand will allow me to protect Blazewing Butterfly. I'll just have to force it through. Blazewing Butterfly, attack!

The scorching beauty dove head first at Mason, inflicting a decent number of damage.

Mason: 6500

Kayla: 2700

Kayla: Maybe I can trick him. I set one card face down, and end my turn.

Mason: I draw! Yes! I can end the duel with this! I activate Heavy Storm!

Kayla: What?!

A violent hurricane stormed down upon the two, as both player's spell and trap cards where destroyed.

Mason: Now, I activate Book of Life from my hand! Come on back, Zombie Master!

Mason: Now, I'll release Zombie Master, so that I can bring forth the most horrific being you'll ever witness. From the depths of hell, and the fires of a bottomless pit, show yourself, Red-Eyes Zombie Dragon!

The field gathered it's fog once more, as a pair of demonic eyes shown from the midst of it all. Waving it's wings, it cleared the field, and the corroded dragon could finally be visible.

ATK: 2400

Mason: Bet you won't be expecting this either. Terraforming! I add Zombie World from my deck to my hand! And of course, I'll activate it.

Blazewing Butterfly's flames were doused, and it's head drooped as it became one of the dead.

Mason: And for my last move, I'll activate Mezuki's Special ability. I remove it in my Graveyard from play, to Special Summon my Zombie Master once more!

Okay, I'm getting sick of seeing that thing. >_>

Mason: Shut up and narrate your own story! Now then, I activate Zombie Master's effect! I discard one monster from my hand, and I'll Special Summon your Botanical Lion!

Botanical Lion had betrayed it's master, and brought itself to Mason's side of the field. The King of the Jungle was now a slave.

Mason: Red-Eyes, attack her Blazewing Butterfly!

The dragon roared fiercly, and devoured the dieing butterfly in one foul swoop.

Kayla: 1800

Mason: It's over Kayla. Botanical Lion, attack her life points!

Forcing itself up, Botanical Lion attacked it's owner tearfully.

Kayla: 0200

Mason: Zombie Master. Finish the duel. Attack her life points directly!

Kayla fell to her knees in disgrace, as she lost her first duel in 2 years. Zombie Master, however, did not spare her any dignity. He clobbered her with skulls, and crushed her pride.

Kayla: 0000

The duel was over, but who was the true victor?

[spoiler=[b]Chapter 3, Lost and Found[/b]]

"Ladies and gentlemen, for the first time in two years, please welcome a new champion of Karakura, Mason!" The crowd roared in glee as their new champion's hand was held proud and high by the announcer, Mac. Mason took several careful steps toward the champion post before shaking Kayla's hand. She looked momentarily angry into Mason's eyes, before letting a broad smile cross her face. "You aren't half bad Mason. . . ?" Mason helped her to her feet. "Nichols. I hold that proudly f.y.i." She raised an eyebrow.

"I got no problem with that, Mason." A heavy sigh escaped her, as she shook his hand. "Thanks Kayla." Mason took to the champion's post with Kayla at his side in second place. He accepted his trophy gratefully, waving at the astonished and welcoming crowd. Chants of "Mason! Mason!" could be heard throughout the stadium, as Kayla's fans became Mason's zombies. Mason turned to leave when Kayla grabbed him by the arm. "Where ya off to in such a rush? There's a champion's party downstairs for you Mason!" Stumbling backwards and onto his butt--Kayla's grip was strong--Mason looked up at her rubbing his head. "Eheheh, I was just going to see my aunt, but I guess I could stay for a bit," he said smiling and getting to his feet.

Kayla grinned back down at him, and dragged him by the arm to the party room.

At the Party. . .

Mason break danced in the middle of the floor, music pumping through his veins. Kayla stood behind him, cheering him on. While all was fun with the two teens and party goers, three thugs stood at the back of the room, posted along the walls. "That him?" One of the thugs, easily identified by the large branded dragon tatoo on his neck, nodded in compliance. "The boss wants us to keep an eye on him. He said when the time was right, to snatch him up, and bring for interrogation." The dragon tattooed thug was apparently the ring leader of these three.

Closest to the window was thug number three. He wore tacky brown shoes and a tattered old jacket with several patches on either side. Furthest from the window, was thug number one. His dark black shades gave him a mysterious feel, and made him more confident. Together, they were the Kion brothers. Hired by Warren Butler as men of coming age (they were 21 each at the time), Warren saw henchmen of potential, and this is what he got.

As the night came to an end, Mason and Kayla waved good-bye to the party people and headed out. A funny feeling in his gut, Mason turned around to spot the Kion brothers on the wall as the door closed. "Who were they," he asked Kayla. She shrugged and placed her arms behind her head. "I have no idea. But what do you say to a hot chocolate? It's freezing out here." Mason nodded as he took off his jacket. Kayla looked at him in amazement. "What are you doing?! It's like, 20 degrees out!" He placed his jacket around her. "I'll be fine," Mason said. "Besides, there are things a lot colder than this. Believe me." She lay her head on his shoulder as they entered the cafe.

"Two hot chocolates please," Mason requested. They sat at window side table, Kayla on the inside. "There they are again. Are they following us?" The Kion brothers were now crossing over towards the cafe. "Something's up," Kayla said. She leaned in towards Mason, and pointed him towards the brothers. "Yeah, that's them. Wonder what they're up to." The Kion brothers entered into the cafe, guns as the ready.

Mason and Kayla looked up in shock. "Whoa! What do you three want?!" Mason held Kayla's hand tightly. Thug's one and three aimed their guns at the clerks, making sure no alarms would be pressed. "Mason," said thug number two. "We need you to come with us. Now!" He snatched Mason by the throat, Kayla still hanging on. "Leave him alone!" she screamed. Thugs one and three followed out, knocking Kayla out cold. They chuckled darkly placing her in the backseat of an old blue muscle car, alongside Mason. "Time to get paid boys!" The thugs drove off into the night, leaving no trace of evidence of the missing champion and his best friend.

Meanwhile, at Mason's home, his aunty sat up worried. "What could be taking that boy so long? Oh dear. Mason!" She rapidly dialed 911. Kayla's uncle Mac had just pulled up in front of the cafe, moments too late. "I thought they would be inside?" Spotting the crying waitress, he rushed in. "What's wrong miss?" he asked the teary eyed brunette. "Those thugs! They took the children!"

Awesome. 9/10 There was simple spelling mistakes there.

Lol, I'll go back and correct them in order to better myself and my story. ^_^

EDIT: I've corrected my mistakes. I'll post Chapter 2 tomorrow, as I gather ideas for the finish. ^_^

Personally i´d prefer no script format' date=' even for duels. Still, a nice story going along, and I did like the fourth wall being broke down. Nice descriptions for the monsters as well.

[/quote']

I appreciate your feedback. ^_^ If anyone would like to submit suggestions or characters, please p.m. me. I'll take up other feedback on the script format in duels (as I write Chapter 3), and if it falls over, I'll change it. ^_^

~Solus Shade

There's only one thing I can say about this.

Bravo.

I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not. Regardless' date=' I appreciate your criticism.

I see you based his deck on the Zombie World Structure deck. Nice ^_^ Anyway, can you pm me a character form so I may suggest some characters?

Actually, while keeping that in mind, I made modifications similar to my own deck. ^^;; Also, I'll happily submit you a character form.

~Solus Shade

Archived