Battle City Revisited (PG-13)

Queen-Dragoon

This is my first Fan Fic so please be gentle and keep your criticism constructive. Cheers. :D

Altered Card Effects

NO CARDS ARE ILLEGAL! EVEN THE GOD CARDS!

Deck Devastation Virus – Greater than 1500 attack points rather than less than 1500.

Tricky Spell 4 – Creates 4 Tricky tokens rather than tokens equal to the number of your opponents monsters.

Card of Sanctity – The TV show effect of both players drawing until they hold 6 cards.

Des Volstgalph – Dark attribute instead of Earth attribute. 800 attack point boost instead of 200.

Herald of Green/Purple Light – Only these cards have to be discarded to negate a spell or trap card.

Magician’s Circle – When any monster declares an attack rather than when a spellcaster declares an attack.

Dark Deal – You don’t have to pay 1000 life points.

Allure Queens – You don’t have to have used the previous Allure Queens summoning effect to activate their ability.

Elemental Hero Bubbleman – You can still draw two cards even with cards in your hand.

I'll add to this list as I go.

Battle City Revisited

[spoiler=Prologue]The sun was setting over a quiet Domino City, the impending twilight being the perfect atmosphere for a duelling climax. It was occurring outside one of the most prestigious of the local academies. The self-proclaimed muscle man and duelling hot-shot, Butch was facing the taller, quieter yet far more imposing Aaron.

“What are you going to do now Dragon Master?” the blonde-haired figure of Butch smirked, his life point metre flickering to show he had 3000 left, “You only have one puny monster on the field with no magic or trap cards. Not to mention your hand is totally empty. Next turn, my Judge Man will take you down!”

Aaron looked at his own life points. “1200... He probably thinks he has me cornered,” he thought with a smile. Sweeping his long brown hair out of his hazel eyes, he drew a card. “Your time’s up Butch! I activate Premature Burial! At the cost of 800 life points I can bring Freed the Matchless General back from the graveyard. Now I sacrifice Freed the Matchless General and Holy Egg, to synchro summon my Tornado Wyrm!” The sky darkened and lightning flashed. A giant silvery-gold dragon was descending from the heavens. The crowd was gasping in awe and cheering as it let out a thunderous roar.

“3000 attack points!” Butch cried in awe and apprehension.

“That’s not what you should be worrying about.” Aaron said with a smile, “You see when Tornado Wyrm is successfully summoned I can draw one new card, and depending on the type I can activate one of three very powerful effects. Now let’s see how much pain you will feel...” He drew and his smile spread even wider, “I’ve drawn my Future Fusion magic card. Now I can special summon the non-tuner monster that was used to summon Tornado Wyrm! Return, Freed the Matchless General!”

“Oh no!!” Butch yelled looking like he was about to turn and run.

“Oh yes! Freed, destroy the Judge Man with Cross Cleave!”

Butch cried out as his last line of defence was carved into four pieces before disintegrating.

“Now, Tornado Wyrm!” Aaron roared, “Wipe out the rest of his life points with Cyclone Stream!”

Aaron turned away as Butch collapsed on a heap on the ground. Despite the fact the monsters were only holograms the stronger ones packed quite a punch.

“Nice victory Aaron,” said the small but rather daunting Eli, “But did you really have to toy with him for so long. Not only does it lower people’s opinion of your duelling skills but it makes you seem slightly cruel.”

Their friend Jennifer frowned at both of them. “It seemed close most of the way through the duel to me. What could you have done differently?”

“Well, I had a chance to summon my strongest monster but what fun would that have been?” Aaron replied grinning a little.

“What?!” cried their other companion, the easily worked up (and slightly dim) Steven, “Why didn’t you? Seeing him get blasted into oblivion earlier would have been more fun!”

“Give me a break. I won didn’t I?” Aaron said with an air of finality, “Now let’s head over to Dorothy’s store. I’d like some new cards.”

“Sounds like fun. The rare packs are mine though!” yelled Eli already sprinting down the street.

[spoiler=Chapter 1]It was 2am and Aaron still couldn’t sleep. He was uncharacteristically worried about the tournament that was to happen the following day. “I’m a bit out of practice when it comes to tag duels... and my deck isn’t really suited to them. I guess that’s the reason for my apprehension,” he mused. Flicking on the lamp sitting on his bedside table, he picked up his deck. “Draconic Alliance is useless... otherwise I’ll just stick to my usual strategies. I just hope Eli is feeling chummy.” Replacing his deck, he turned off the light and settled back down. He wouldn’t be able to duel at all if he didn’t get some sleep.

The following day, all the competitors had gathered at the local mall where the tournament was being held.

“Welcome duelists, to the 25th annual Domino City Amateurs Tournament!” yelled the announcer, “As many of you probably already know, this is a prestigious age for a tournament to reach so there are a couple of surprises in store for you this year!”

Eli wasn’t paying the slightest bit of attention. “Yeah, yeah... We know about the fact this is a tag tournament. Listen guys I’m off to check out where we are going to be duelling,” he said, pointing to the large open area in the mall’s food court that had been cleared for the day.

“Alright then, I’ll listen for anything else of interest from the announcer,” replied Aaron.

Eli shot him a sceptical and slightly reproachful look before running off down the cavernous mall hallway.

The announcer continued in a high-pitched, excited tone. “Not only will this tournament consist of tag duels, but there will also be a one of a kind prize in store for the two winners! I will let a very special guest speaker explain the significance of this prize.” He walked off the wooden stage that he was standing on as a curtain rose, revealing a giant video screen. Seconds later, a grim-faced person with brown hair and expensive clothing appeared on the monitor.

“Greetings duellists. As many of you already know, I am Seto Kaiba.”

Seto Kaiba. He was Aaron’s duelling idol. The three Blue-Eyes White Dragons were cards he had always dreamed of having as part of his deck.

“From what I understand, you who stand here today are the most skilled duellists Domino City has to offer,” he continued, “That is why I am offering two of you this once in a lifetime opportunity. Due to mass public support I am bringing back the Battle City Tournament.”

“Battle City! Either this is a dream or it is the single, greatest day of my life,” Aaron thought with a broad grin. “Steven, could you go and find Eli? He would want to know about this.”

“Sure,” Steven said brightly, “I’ll be back in a jiffy!”

“The winning pair of this tournament will receive invitations to participate in Battle City. Good luck and I shall see two of you in a month’s time.”

The announcer walked back on stage applauding with the rest of the crowd. “Thank you very much Mr. Kaiba. Now, there is a small problem with the arrangements this year. We have received twice as many entrants as we can allow...”

Eli suddenly appeared at Aaron’s left shoulder. “What did I miss?” he asked excitedly, “Steven said something about Kaiba and Battle City!”

“The winning pair of this tournament gets two invitations to the second Battle City Tournament. However, they have received 32 entrants instead of the allowed 16.”

Meanwhile the announcer was continuing and explaining how they would sort the extra entrants, “This year there will be an extra one on one round to decide who makes it through to the actual tournament. If you look at the screen you should see your name and a number from 1-32 appear. Then your numbers will be paired off to show who your opponent will be.” The numbers and the pairings appeared.

“21... and I’m against number 8, Jesse Baker,” said Aaron.

“24... and I’m against 17, Adrian Smith,” muttered Eli.

“You now have 10 minutes to prepare your decks if necessary. Begin!”

Aaron let out an enormous sigh. “I left my Draconic Alliance at home because it isn’t much use in tag duels...”

Sniggering, Eli and Jennifer began to walk off into the crowd. “Unlucky! Let’s aim for quick victories, alright?”

“Good luck Aaron!” Jennifer said waving frantically.

“You got it!” Aaron replied. He turned round suddenly, hearing a woman’s voice shouting his number.

“21! I’m looking for number 21, Aaron Davids!” She was a tall, blonde-haired girl with bright blue eyes and a hypnotic smile.

“I’m Aaron Davids. You must be Jesse Baker,” he said feeling strangely anxious.

She smiled and he felt his heart flutter slightly. “That’s me! Listen I’m not one for waiting around so why don’t we get this duel underway.”

“You must have read my mind,” he replied, “Duel Disc on!” The mechanical mechanism flicked the card readers up and around into a single row and then holographic emitters shot from either side to mark out the arena. “You may be pretty but that doesn’t mean I’ll hold back!” he shouted as he placed his deck in the slot.

“I hoped you would say that!” she yelled back, doing the same.

“Duel!”

“Ladies first.” Aaron said politely, drawing his 5 cards.

“Why thank you,” she responded drawing her first card, “I summon Marie, the Fallen One in attack mode! I place one card face down and end my turn.”

Aaron believed he could see where this was going. “I have a feeling that face down is Gravity Bind,” when he looked at his hand he couldn’t help but grin broadly. “Jesse... I can tell that you are a good duellist, but this is over! I summon my Spirit Dragon in defence mode and then activate Heavy Storm! Now your face down card is destroyed. Next I place one card face down and activate Scapegoat. This card summons four Sheep Tokens to the field in defence mode. Now I reveal DNA Surgery. This allows me to change the type of all the monsters on the field to the one that I choose. I choose Dragon!”

“No way...” whispered Jesse.

“Way... Finally I activate Polymerisation! This fuses my Spirit Dragon with my 4 Dragon Tokens, to summon the mighty Five-Headed Dragon!”

Aaron’s monsters rose up into the air and then were absorbed into a black hole that had appeared behind him. Everyone was quiet as something from within the hole let out an ear-splitting growl. A gigantic figure of a mighty yellow dragon with 5 very different heads appeared from the void. It was easily 50 feet tall as it towered over the entire field.

Jesse took a step back in a combination of surprise and fear. “I have NEVER seen someone summon that dragon, let alone in one turn!”

“I’ll take that as a compliment,” Aaron smiled. “I activate Premature Burial. At the cost of 800 life points I can revive my Spirit Dragon from the graveyard. Now, Five-Headed Dragon destroy Marie the Fallen One with Dark Elemental Strike!”

Jesse’s monster screeched in agony as she disappeared from the field and her life points dropped to 900.

“Even with Marie’s ability, this duel is still over! Now Spirit Dragon! End this duel with Light Cascade!”

Aaron couldn’t help but notice a smile twitching at Jesse’s lips as her life points dropped to 0. “That was an amazing move Aaron. If I had to lose in this tournament I’m glad it was to someone of your talents.”

“I appreciate that,” he replied, “Would you like a rematch in the future? I know you were holding back and I was quite lucky to draw such a perfect hand.”

“Yes, I’ll be looking forward to it. Good luck in the tag duels and I’ll be expecting to see you in Battle City.” She waved before running towards the exit. “I think what surprises me most is that she was serious about seeing me in a Pro tournament,” he chuckled. Then he ran off in search of Eli’s duel.

[spoiler=Custom Cards]174722wr9.jpg174722vb4.jpg174722xb0.jpg174722qp1.jpg

Thanks Ragnarok. Any suggestions?

[spoiler=Chapter 2]When Aaron finally found Eli’s duel, he breathed a sigh of relief when he saw that he hadn’t missed very much. “But then how could I?” he chuckled, “That was probably the fastest official duel I have ever played.”

So far it was fairly even with Eli on 2100 life points and his opponent on 1900. He had a Spirit Girl Sophia on the field with one face down card while his opponent had Exodius the Ultimate Forbidden Lord with 3000 attack points and also one face down card.

“Looks like a solid position to be in,” Aaron said to Jennifer and Steven as he walked up to the watching crowd.

“They’ve been at it for a while,” replied Jen, “And Eli’s the one who has lost the most monsters. I think he’s in trouble.”

“You obviously don’t know his duelling strategies as well as you think you do. Besides, we have to support him despite whatever is happening.”

Turning back to the duel he noticed it was Eli’s turn. “It’s my draw!” he shouted, “I equip my Spirit Girl Sophia with the Buster Rancher,”

“I activate Mystical Space Typhoon!” his opponent Adrian yelled.

“Chain! Activate Dust Tornado to destroy Mystical Space Typhoon! Sorry Adrian, but this is over. Buster Rancher raises my monster’s attack by 2500 points. Next I summon Magician’s Valkyria. Spirit Girl Sophia, destroy Exodius!”

Adrian let out a yelp as his ace monster was destroyed before his eyes and his life points dropped to 1400.

“Magician’s Valkyria! Direct attack! Mystic Sceptre Blast!”

Eli didn’t notice his opponent fall to his knees as he had already turned around to smile at his friends. “Woooo! What do you reckon to my performance?”

“I only saw your last move and that was pretty fantastic,” Aaron shrugged.

Steven piped up next. “It looked like you were lagging by just a little for most of the match.”

“That’s just how I duel,” Eli replied, “A slow lead up to an elegant finish.”

“Elegant...” said Aaron sceptically, “Right...”

Eli frowned at him. “Let’s go check the results on the big screen.”

They arrived back at the centre of the mall and found that 14 of the 16 matches were finished. “We are just waiting on the results of the final two opening matches!” yelled the Announcer “If you wish for a particular partner, please come forward to the administration desks!”

“I guess that’s our cue,” Eli said brightly as he and Aaron began to walk forward.

Jennifer had a mischievous smile on her face. “Steve and I will hang back here,” she shouted to them. As soon as they were out of earshot, Jennifer turned to Steven. “Shall we start the surprise?” she smirked.

“Of course,” he replied, grinning stupidly.

The other dynamic duo had already reached the administration desks. “Hi, I’m Aaron and this is Eli,” Aaron said to the middle-aged desk clerk, “We would like to be tag partners.”

“Alright,” he said with a smile, “Have you had any pro tournament experience?”

“We’re hoping that’s about to change,” grinned Eli.

The clerk chuckled a little at this. “Well good luck, here are your ID cards. Your first match will be against Michael and Ryan. The Announcer will tell you when it’s your turn to take the stage.”

“Thanks very much,” Aaron said, “Let’s go watch the first few matches.”

Eli and Aaron scrambled back through the crowd to where Jennifer and Eli were waiting for them. The first match was short with one duellist’s super-powered up Cyber Harpie Lady carving her opponent’s Masked Dragon in two. Then, “Will Aaron and Eli please come on stage for the duel again Michael and Ryan?”

“It’s time to rock their world!” Aaron yelled shaking his fist.

Jennifer smiled knowingly, “You’ll be great guys! Go get em!”

When they got up on stage they were next to the Announcer and two burly, 18 year olds that looked like they were both jocks.

“Alright boys, shuffle each other’s decks,” the Announcer said away from the mike.

“Good luck guys.” Aaron smiled his hands flicking around the cards like lightning.

One of the pair just glared while the other muttered, “We’re gonna pound you into the ground!”

Looking like he was desperately trying to stop himself from laughing Eli said, “Alrighty then...”

They all walked back to their four corners, placed their decks in the slots, and roared “Duel!!”

“I’ll start,” the one called Michael said, “I activate Pot of Greed. Now I draw two cards. Now, I summon the Koumori Dragon in attack mode.” A large purple dragon materialised on the field, “One card face down and that’s all from me.”

“A seemingly mediocre opening turn from the team of Michael and Ryan,” the Announcer told the crowd.

“My Draw!” Eli yelled. Aaron could see he was exceptionally pleased with his hand. “I discard one card to summon a monster known as The Tricky.” A yellow humanoid shaped monster with a question mark for a face appeared near Eli. “Next I activate the spell card Tricky Spell 4. By sacrificing The Tricky I can summon 4 Tricky tokens with the same attack and defence points. Now I sacrifice 2 of my Tricky Tokens to summon my Spirit Shaman!” A ragged but powerfully built man who looked old with wisdom emerged onto the field. “I lay 2 face down cards to end my turn.” He turned and winked at Aaron.

“Wow!” yelled the Announcer as the crowd went wild, “A spectacular start from Eli. Summoning three powerful monsters in a single turn!”

It was Ryan’s turn now. “My move! I summon my Vorse Raider...”

“Hold on!” Eli roared, “Reveal trap card! Deck Devastation Virus! Now, by sacrificing my Spirit Shaman, all monsters on your field, in your hands and any you draw in the next 3 turns with 1500 attack points or more are sent straight to the graveyard.”

All their opponents could do as their monsters were vaporised and a grand total of 7 cards disintegrated into nothingness was stand there with their mouths open.

“Damn...” was all Ryan could say, “I end my turn.”

“It ALREADY seems like the winners have been decided!” the Announcer continued, “Let’s see what Aaron can come up with!”

As he looked down, he could barely stop himself from screaming in delight. “I activate Mystical Space Typhoon to destroy Michael’s face down card. Next, I activate Black Luster Ritual!”

“Yes!!” Eli roared.

“By discarding monsters whose level stars equal 8 or more I can summon my Black Luster Soldier!” A heavily, and ornately armoured soldier with an enormous scimitar appeared from an altar created by Aaron’s spell card. “And, by removing one dark monster and one light monster from the graveyard I can summon Chaos Emperor Dragon – Envoy of the End!” The crowd was whooping and screaming as a colossal brown and green dragon descended onto the field. “My old friend... Let’s tear them apart!” as his monster let out an almighty roar. “Since those were special summons, I am allowed to summon my Marauding Captain also!

“Wow! This pair is amazing me more and more!” screamed the Announcer.

“Now, my mighty beasts! Attack those clowns directly!”

Both opponents roared in pain as they lost 7200 life points from their tag total of 8000.

“But wait, I’m not done yet! I sacrifice 1000 of our life points to activate my Chaos Dragon’s special ability! All the cards on both our fields and in our hands are destroyed and you take damage equal to the number of destroyed cards multiplied by 300! Chaos Emperor Dragon use Chaos End Strike!” Flames of enormous proportions burst from the Dragon’s mouth enveloping the entire field and destroying everything in their path. “I believe you lose 2700 life points if my math is correct.”

“And there you have it ladies and gentlemen!” the Announcer yelled as Aaron and Eli walked off the stage waving to tumultuous applause, “An outstanding single round victory for the pair of Aaron and Eli!”

Jennifer and Steven were fighting their way through the crowd towards them. “That was AWESOME!” Steven yelled, “I’ve never seen you guys duel better!”

“Cheers Steven,” said Eli with an enormous grin, “Nice finish Aaron. I was planning for the Chaos Dragon.”

“You were great as well. 7 monsters in a turn! Technically anyway...”

Their attention was suddenly drawn by an announcement from the stage, “Will Jennifer and Steven come up for your tag duel please?” the Announcer called.

When Aaron turned round to stare at them, both had an identical mischievous smirk on their faces.

[spoiler=Custom Cards]174722ro2.jpg174722qc7.jpg

Sorry about no pictures but I couldn't find any that fitted...

I'll have to give some thought to that one... I wasn't planning on it but now that you've said it, it sounds like fun. I think Obelisk and Slifer will be easy, but Ra...

Here's Chapter 3:

[spoiler=Chapter 3]“Is he joking?” was all Aaron could say in complete surprise.

“Nope,” Jennifer replied with a huge grin, “Steve and I have been practicing for this tournament for months now. We won our preliminary matches in 2 turns.”

Eli looked completely dumbfounded, “So you won your preliminaries while mine was going on?”

“Yep,” said Steven, “We had better get up on stage Jen.”

“Well...good luck you two,” Aaron said trying to keep the shock and surprise out of his voice.

Jennifer winked as she ran off through the crowd.

“That was eh... unexpected,” muttered Eli, “I guess we’ll see what the practice has done for their ability.”

The confusion and revelation didn’t subside until all four decks had been shuffled and the duellists had returned to their corners. “Time to duel!” they shouted in unison.

It was Steven’s turn to start. “I draw. First I summon my Marauding Captain in attack mode. His special ability allows me to summon another Marauding Captain immediately to the field. Not only that, but due to their second special ability neither of them can be targeted by an attack! To end, I play 2 cards face down.”

“I powerful opening move from Steven,” the Announcer told an applauding crowd.

One of their opponents, a rather mean looking Goth of a girl, summoned a Panther Warrior and played a face down card.

Jennifer was looking unusually focussed. “It’s my draw. I discard my Hecatrice from my hand to let me add Valhalla, Hall of the Fallen from my deck to my hand. Now I activate The Sanctuary in the Sky. When anyone attacks one of my fairy monsters I take no battle damage. Next I activate Valhalla, Hall of the Fallen, this allows me to special summon one fairy monster if I have none on the field. So, I summon Athena in attack mode. Now I activate Celestial Transformation to special summon Gellenduo with half its original attack and defence points. Athena’s special ability kicks in. When I summon a fairy she deals you 600 points of damage! Next I sacrifice Gellenduo to summon Guardian Angel Joan meaning you lose another 600 life points. I end my turn.

“What a move!” the Announcer yelled to a now cheering crowd, “It’s the first turn and Jennifer has already dealt damage!”

“Where did they learn to duel like that?” Aaron murmured in vague awe.

Their other opponent was a much more timid girl who summoned an Ebon Magician Curran before ending her turn as well.

“This duel is moving fast folks!” the Announcer bellowed, “Can Steven dent their life points further?”

“Draw! I play my Pot of Greed which allows me to draw 2 more cards. Then I summon Gearfried the Iron Knight before activating Release Restraint. This allows me to special summon Gearfried the Swordmaster from my deck. I equip my Axe of Despair and Fusion Sword Murasame Blade to Gearfried giving him 1800 extra attack points! His special ability also allows me to destroy 2 of your monsters!”

Stevens’ opponents gasped as both of their monsters dissolved into thin air.

Smiling he moved on to attack, “Now Marauding Captains! Direct attack!”

The two girls both screamed as they realised the end was inevitable.

“Gearfried! Destroy the rest of their life points with Divine Downward Strike!” The hulking, bare bodied, long-haired figure of Gearfried leapt high into the air and came crashing down on top of the bigger girl.

“Activate trap card!” she screamed, “Dimensional Prison! Now I can remove your monster from play!”

Steven grinned broadly. “Chain! Activate Dust Tornado to destroy Dimensional Prison! Normally I would set another card now due to Dust Tornado’s second effect but the duel isn’t going to last that long.”

His opponent collapsed from the force of the attack and probably from the realisation that her life points had just hit rock bottom.

“What a finish folks!” roared the Announcer with the crowd now screaming madly, “A super-powered Gearfried obliterating over half their life points!”

When Jennifer and Steven had finished waving to the applause and met back up with Aaron and Eli they had the astonished look back on both their faces.

“That was...” Aaron muttered.

“Incredible...” finished Eli.

The pair smiled broad. “Why, thank you!” they said in unison.

Aaron managed to regain some of his composure. “Seriously though, where did you learn to duel like that?”

“From watching the two of you of course!” laughed Jennifer, “You guys are the best amateurs in the city. We were bound to pick up something from watching every single one of your duels.”

“Dorothy helped us build our decks and taught us the finer points of the rules,” Steven interjected, “She’s a sweet old lady and her knowledge was a big help.”

It was Eli’s turn to laugh. “She is indeed. I remember when she helped us Aaron when we were a lot younger.”

“Yeah...” he murmured reminiscently, “My first rare card in my first pack was my Chaos Emperor Dragon. I remember how lucky I felt.”

“Enough of the chit-chat guys!” snapped Jennifer, “We have to watch the last match of the first round!” With that the four of them turned back to the stage.

The fourth duel was fairly long and unimpressive. The pairs kept throwing weak normal monsters back and forth at each other until the first duo managed to scrape a win with a well played Vorse Raider.

“It looks like the semi-finals aren’t going to be much of a challenge,” Eli said with an unusual mixture of excitement and trepidation.

Jennifer shot him a reproving look. “That’s a good thing! It means we’ll face each other in the final!”

“I agree with Jen,” said Aaron, “Let’s win these matches quickly!”

“Outstanding isn’t it folks?!” roared the Announcer as Jennifer’s Airknight Parshath impaled her opponent’s Pinch Hopper, “Our two final pairs have displayed incredible ability in all their duels with ridiculously fast victories! I’m sure you’re all looking forward to the final match as much as I am!”

“Nice finish Jen,” Aaron said with a smile when they reunited off the stage.

“Thanks,” she replied, “I can’t believe how easy the duels have been so far. I’m just glad we know how good you guys are or we’d be far too confident.”

Eli was almost jumping up and down out of excitement, “I’m sure glad you guys aren’t overconfident! I’m expecting a challenge!”

Their conversation was cut short by another announcement. “Would the two final pairs please come up on stage?”

Feeling suddenly solemn, Aaron and his three friends slowly walked up onto the wooden platform.

“Alright people, shuffle each others’ decks,” the Announcer said to them quietly.

Aaron’s hands were flicking round the cards almost faster than could be seen. “Good luck. Let’s make this the best duel of our lives.”

“No!” said Steven, “The best duel in history!” He grinned that familiar stupid grin as the four turned and walked back to their corners.

“LET’S DUEL!!” they bellowed.

“I’ll start!” Jennifer shouted, “I play Valhalla, Hall of the Fallen! This allows me to special summon one fairy type monster as long as I have no others on the field. So I summon Airknight Parshath in attack mode!” A gleaming angelic centaur materialised onto the field with a massive long sword. “Finally, I lay one face down to end my turn.”

“A solid opening move from Jennifer! But one wonders why she didn’t use the normal summon she was also allowed,” the Announcer told the crowd.

“Alright, my turn!” yelled Eli, “First I’ll set one monster. I’ll end my turn with two face down cards.”

“It seems the players are being more defensive in this match.”

Steven looked determined. “My draw! I summon the Marauding Captain in defence mode, his special ability allows me to special summon Gearfried the Iron Knight in attack mode. I finish with two face down cards.”

Aaron looked at his hand, “Not much... damn...” . “I draw. I play Change of Heart to take control of Gearfried the Iron Knight! Next, I sacrifice Gearfried to summon Des Volstgalph!” A large and strangely angular maroon dragon appeared on the field next to Aaron. “He gains 800 extra attack points this turn due to me using a normal spell card! Now, my mighty dragon! Attack and destroy Airknight Parshath!”

“Hold it right there!” yelled Jennifer, “Reveal trap card! Wall of Revealing Light! This powerful continuous trap stops monsters from attacking that have equal or fewer attack points than the number of life points I sacrifice. I think 3000 will do nicely.”

“I also activate a trap card!” Eli bellowed, “Magician’s Circle! When a monster on the field declares an attack every player is allowed to summon a spellcaster with 2000 attack points or less. Magician’s Valkyria come forth!”

As he smiled Aaron took another look at his hand, “Eli is feeling helpful today.” “Now I activate Gift of the Martyr! By sacrificing one monster on our side of the field my dragon receives that monster’s attack points!” Eli’s magician was vaporised as a bright yellow light began to envelop Aaron’s dragon raising its attack points to 4600. “Now, Des Volstgalph! Let’s try this again!” His dragon let out a breath of blue flame that completely shattered Jennifer’s Airknight dropping her and Steven’s life points down to 2300. “I play one face down card. That’s all from me.”

The crowd was going ballistic. “Wow! That is an enormous gash in Steven and Jennifer’s life points! I wonder if they can comeback from that one?!”

Surprisingly to all, Jennifer was smiling, “It’s my draw! Thanks to Valhalla, Hall of the Fallen I’m allowed to special summon Guardian Angel Joan. Now I play Monster Reborn to revive Airknight Parshath. Then I summon Gellenduo in attack mode. Now! Guardian Angel Joan, destroy Des Volstgalph! Now Airknight Parshath, attack Eli’s face down monster! Guardian Angel Joan’s ability means we receive life points equal to the attack points of your destroyed monster. Not only that but Parshath’s piercing effect will deal you damage equal to the difference between his attack points and Eli’s defending monster’s defence points. I play one face down card to end my turn,”

Jennifer and Steven smiled as their life points jumped up to 4500 and Airknight Parshath impaled Eli’s Spirit Reaper with his sword reducing his and Aaron’s life points to 5700.

“A shocking upset!” roared the Announcer as the crowd went mad, “Steven and Jennifer have bounced back with a vengeance!”

Eli was frowning, clearly underestimating the skill of his friends. “My turn. I play Pot of Greed which lets me draw two cards. Then I summon my Silent Magician LV4 in attack mode,” a short magician dressed in white robes appeared on the field, “Silent Magician attack Marauding Captain! I play another card face down and that’s all from me.”

“I guess it’s my turn,” Steven said, “I draw...”

“And my Silent Magician’s ability just kicked in,” said Eli with a smile, “Whenever you draw a card he gains a spell counter that increases his attack by 500 points! Next I activate Pitch Black Powerstone! This card gives me three more spell counters that I can place wherever and whenever I choose. I think I’ll place all of them on my Silent Magician right now to raise his attack points to 2500! As you were...”

Frowning slightly, Steven returned to his move. “First I lay one face down card then activate Premature Burial to revive Marauding Captain. Now I summon Swift Gaia the Fierce Knight!” A massive blue horseman with two scarlet lances materialised behind Steven. “Next, I reveal my face down. Blast with Chain gives my Gaia 500 extra attack points! Now, Gaia attack Silent Magician with Double Spiral Spear!”

Eli reacted quickly. “Reveal face down card! Sakuretsu Armour! This card destroys your attacking monster before it can complete its attack!” Steven’s monster appeared to roar in agony before disappearing completely.

“My god folks! Is this intense or is this intense?” the Announcer told the crowd with a look of extreme delight.

“Yes! We need that magician if we’re going to win this!” Aaron thought with a determined smile. “It’s my move! And I activate the magical Card of Sanctity. This allows us all to draw from our decks until we each old six cards in our hands. It also means Silent Magician’s spell counters are maxed giving it an attack point total of 3500. Now I activate Future Fusion! By sending five dragons from my deck to the graveyard I’ll be able to summon my Five-Headed Dragon in two turns. But why wait that long? I remove my five dragons from my graveyard to activate Dragon’s Mirror. This card allows me to summon ANOTHER Five-Headed Dragon right now! Come forth my mighty beast!” The crowd gasped as Aaron’s strongest fusion monster took the field once again, “Now my mighty dragon! Attack Steven’s Marauding Captain and destroy the rest of their life points!”

“I reveal my face down card, Enemy Controller,” Jennifer said with a mischievous smile, “I change Five-Headed Dragon to defence position to stop its attack!”

“That was incredibly close!” the Announcer yelled as the crowd continued to applaud madly, “Neither pair is giving in!”

“Ach... Nice move,” Aaron said torn between respect and annoyance, “I summon my Spirit Dragon in defence mode, place a card face down and end my turn.”

“Back to me then,” Jennifer chuckled, “This is the most fun I’ve had in years. Now, it’s time to step up my game. I sacrifice Gellenduo to summon Athena in attack mode. Next, I sacrifice Airknight Parshath to special summon Neo-Parshath, The Sky Paladin!” Jennifer’s angelic centaur disappeared to be replaced by an even bigger, floating blue and golden angelic form. “Now Neo-Parshath, attack Spirit Reaper now!”

“I reveal my trap!” roared Aaron, “Magic Cylinder! This card absorbs your attack and fires it right back at your life points. Now, Magic Cylinder, fire!” A ball of green energy shot from the left cylinder right at Jennifer and Steven dropping their life points to 2200.

“Good counter...” sighed Jennifer, “I place a card face down and end my turn.”

“Unbelievable!” the Announcer bellowed, “These duellists are matching each other blow for blow! Although it seems as though Aaron and Steven have the upper hand at the moment!”

Eli was looking confident, “Guys, you have played a great duel but I’m afraid it’s over! My draw! I sacrifice Silent Magician LV4 to summon Silent Magician LV 8 from my deck. I also sacrifice Spirit Reaper to summon Neo Aqua Madoor. I place two cards face down and sacrifice my Silent Magician LV 8 and my Neo Aqua Madoor to summon my ultimate spellcaster, the Sorcerer of Dark Magic!” A dark robed figure with an enormous staff appeared in front of Eli, “Next I activate Mage Power, boosting my Sorcerer’s attack points by 1500!”

“Yes! Go Eli! They can’t counter with trap cards now!” thought Aaron with a thrill.

“Sorcerer, Celestial Blast attack!” A flash of red flame shot from the end of his staff engulfing Steven’s Marauding Captain. “Did I mention you can’t use trap cards to counter his attack?”

The opposing pair looked stunned as their life points dropped to zero before breaking into identical wide smiles.

“There you have it ladies and gents!” the Announcer yelled as the crowd applauded and cheered frantically, “Aaron and Eli have won by a nose hair! Congrat... Hang on! I believe our sponsor wishes to say something! Give it up once again for Mr. Seto Kaiba!”

A familiar grouchy face appeared on the screen but this time wearing an expression of badly concealed respect. “I was watching the final and I must say, all four of you showed considerable duelling ability. In recognition of that I would like to offer all four you the opportunity to enter the Battle City tournament. The staff there will brief you on the details.” With that final word he was gone one again.

The four friends looked at each other in stunned silence before they all yelled “WOOHOO!”

“Yet more drama has been added to an already amazing tournament!” the Announcer shouted, “Do you think these four deserve to enter the Pro Leagues?!”

An enormous, simultaneous ‘Yes’ echoed throughout the entire mall. Aaron couldn’t help but feel the greatest of gratitude to all of his new fans.

“Congratulations to the four of you. To get the details for Battle City please see the desk clerks just off the stage.”

Eli looked slightly bemused at the situation. “I really hope that this isn’t all a dream.”

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry that it took a while.

[spoiler=Chapter 4 Part 1]Chapter 4

PREPARATIONS

The four friends were over the moon at this once in a lifetime opportunity. When the crowds had dispersed at the mall, they began making their way to Dorothy’s card shop to tell her the good news.

By the time they reached her shop, the sun was setting and the smiling old lady was closing up for the evening.

“Dorothy!” Eli yelled as Steven and Jennifer waved frantically, “We won! The four of us! We all won!”

She gasped as they drew closer. “What? All four of you won a place in the next Battle City? That’s terrific news! Let’s go in and celebrate.” She reopened the shop, wandered through to the back and brought out five, ice cold sodas. “Cheers to the new pros!”

“Cheers!” they shouted in unison.

“So, are you going to tell me how your duels were?” Dorothy asked through a mouthful of limeade.

The gang then began relaying all the information from every single one of their duels. The fact that the preliminaries were harder than the majority of the actual tournament matches, the easy quarter and semi-final victories, and ultimately the dramatic and incredibly fun final.

Aaron saw Dorothy smiling serenely throughout out their various anecdotes. “She must be remembering her duelling days. Once upon a time she was the best duellist in the city.”

After about twenty minutes they had conveyed every single card that was played throughout the tournament. “I must say, the four of you have come on leaps and bounds since I started teaching you how to draw,” Dorothy said with a smile, “Now that you have reached the pro leagues, I have a card for each of you that I’ve been waiting for the right time to hand over. Just promise me your Battle City victory party will be held here.”

“Aw... Dorothy... We would do that anyway,” said Jennifer in an awful cooing voice, “You know that.”

“Just a precaution,” Dorothy replied with a wink, “I’ll be back in a minute.”

She returned carrying four dusty card protectors and a wide smile on her face. “Alright, I think we’ll start with Aaron. Here is a card that the King of Games once used. I think it will suit your deck perfectly.”

When Aaron removed the cover he felt his jaw hit the floor, “No way...” It was Gandora, the Dragon of Destruction, a card he had dreamed about owning almost as much as Kaiba’s Blue Eyes White Dragons. “Dorothy, I...”

“Your welcome,” she said with a chuckle, “Now, I think your next Eli. Here’s a very useful Spellcaster, the Allure Queen LV7.

Eli looked equally surprised and impressed, “Useful! That’s an understatement! Thank you so much Dorothy!”

“I’m glad you like it,” she replied, “Jennifer next, here you go, the Splendid Venus card. It will be an excellent supporting player in your deck.”

Jennifer just sat there staring at it with a tear in her eye.

“I’m glad you like it dear,” murmured Dorothy, “And last but not least, Steven. Here is another signature of Yugi’s deck, the Buster Blader.”

Steven guffawed at the absolutely astonishing gift he had just been presented with. “Wow... Wow... Wow...Thank you so much Dorothy. You’re too good to us you know.”

“There is a reason for this,” she said suddenly being solemn, “The four of you are the most talented students I have ever taught Duel Monsters to. I am counting on the four of you to do what I couldn’t.”

“We’ll make you proud Dorothy!” said Aaron with a newfound source of inspiration. “Tonight I’ll rebuild my deck so that it’s stronger than ever before!”

Aaron was sitting at his bedroom desk, his expression triumphant. “I’ve done it! I’ve built my strongest deck ever!” He grabbed his phone and dialled a number. “Eli! Hey, could you come over with Steven and Jennifer? I’ve just finished rebuilding my deck and I am ITCHING to test it out.” As he put the phone down he couldn’t help but grin maniacally. They won’t know what hit them.

Twenty minutes later, Aaron was waiting for them coming up the street just outside his house. “Hey guys! Are you ready for the hurt?” he asked flicking his Duel Disc on, “Because I want to take on all three of you at once!”

“You wha...?” exclaimed Eli, “You can’t be serious...”

“I am,” he replied calmly

Jennifer sighed. “Alright then, but I don’t want any complaining when you’ve lost, deal?

“I’m not worried.”

“Let’s duel!”

“I’ll start.” Aaron said, “I play two cards face down and that’s all from me.”

Aaron noticed Eli smacking a hand to his forehead. “How can you expect to win with an opening move like that?” he sighed, “It’s my draw. I discard one card from my hand to summon The Tricky. Next, I’ll throw two cards face down to finish.”

“It’s my move then,” said Jennifer, “I’ll start with the ritual spell Shinato’s Ark. By discarding Archlord Zerato I can summon Shinato, King of a Higher Plane! I place one card face down and end my turn.”

“I guess it’s my turn,” sighed Steven, “I summon Ninja Grandmaster Sasuke in attack mode.” An flamboyantly clothed ninja holding two daggers dropped onto the field, “I place a card face down. Now Ninja Grandmaster Sasuke, attack Aaron directly!”

“I reveal my trap card, Fusion Guard!” Aaron roared, “By sending one monster from my extra deck to the graveyard I can negate your attack.”

“Should have seen that coming,” muttered Steven, “I end my turn,”

“Before that I reveal my other face down,” Aaron said, “Fires of Doomsday! This summons two Fiend Tokens to my side of the field. I draw! Now, I sacrifice my two Fiend Tokens to summon Gandora, the Dragon of Destruction!” An enormous magenta dragon with red orbs dotting its entire body appeared on the field. It reared its enormous head and let out a thunderous roar. “I pay half my life points to activate his ability. Gandora, destroy every one of their cards with your Boundless Giga Rays!” Red beams shot from every one of the dragon’s red orbs, engulfing the entire field and destroying every card. “When Gandora strikes it gains 300 attack points for every card it destroys, but I have a better idea. I activate Metamorphosis! This allows me to sacrifice Gandora to summon a fusion monster with the same number of level stars. Arise, Cyber Twin Dragon! Now, I activate Monster Reborn to revive the fusion monster I discarded earlier. Come forth, Cyber End Dragon!” Two massive metal dragons materialised onto the field, one with two heads and one with three heads. “Next I activate this De-Fusion card. It splits my monster into two separate Cyber Dragons. Finally I activate the magic of Power Bond! With this card I can summon a machine type fusion monster and I think I’ll to fuse the two Cyber Dragons back together to once again create the Cyber Twin Dragon. And its attack points are double thanks to Power Bond’s effect. Also, keep in mind that it can attack twice in a single turn!”

“Oh no!” his opponents shouted.

“Oh yes! Cyber Twin Dragon, Double Strident Blast and Cyber End Dragon attack with Super Strident Blaze!”

Eli, Jennifer and Steven all cried out as their life points dropped from a total of 12000 to 0 in a single turn. “Wow... that was... wow,” gasped Eli, “Your sure weren’t kidding when you said this was your most powerful deck ever.”

Kaiba was lounging back in his large leather recliner feeling relaxed for the first time in nearly a decade. “Everything is going according to plan,” he thought laughing in his natural maniacal way, “It’s nearly time for the final phase.” His assistant, Roland’s voice suddenly blasted through the intercom.

“Mr. Kaiba, Yugi Moto has arrived at the base of the tower,” he said.

“Very good Roland. Have him wait at the Duel Dome.”

“Yes sir.”

He got up and crossed to the window that overlooked his Blue-Eyes shaped Duel Dome. “Yugi, today I get my vengeance.”

Ten minutes later, Kaiba entered his Duel Dome to an impatient Yugi waiting for him. The small but daunting King of Games with his crazy, angular red and yellow hair was standing in the centre of the arena His usual air of confidence was replaced with one of tension and apprehension. “Welcome Yugi.”

“Kaiba, why have you asked me to come here?” Yugi said with intense irritation, “You know what is happening with my Grandfather.”

“Of course,” Kaiba replied, “I have asked you here to offer my help with your Grandfather’s heart condition. I can give you expert surgeons and doctors, whatever you need.”

“Why do I get the feeling you are not telling me the whole story?”

“You are right of course. What I want in return... is a duel, a duel where the winner gets the loser’s three most powerful cards!”

Yugi sighed deeply. “I should have seen this coming... Just remember what happened last time you tried to get your hands on the Egyptian Gods Kaiba.”

“My memory hasn’t faded Yugi.” Kaiba said flicking his Duel Disc on and placing his deck in it.

“I guess I should know better than to talk you out of it.” Yugi replied doing the same.

They walked to either end of the arena. “Let’s Duel!!”

“I’ll start!” said Kaiba, “I summon Manju of the Ten Thousand Hands! This card lets me add one ritual spell or monster card from my deck to my hand. Next I sacrifice Manju and activate White Dragon Ritual to summon Paladin of White Dragon. Now I can sacrifice my Paladin to summon my Blue-Eyes White Dragon!” An enormous white dragon appeared on the field letting out a thunderous roar that sent a shockwave around the dome. “I place a card face down. Now it’s your turn.”

“Great!” Yugi yelled, “I sacrifice Alpha, Beta and Gamma the Magnet Warriors from my hand to summon Valkyrion, the Magna Warrior!” An android shaped monster combined from the parts from the three Magnet Warriors materialised with a massive 3500 attack points. “Valkyrion, attack Kaiba’s Blue-Eyes!”

“Not so fast! Reveal face down, Shrink! This card halves your Magna Warrior’s attack points for the duration of the turn. You are as predictable as ever Yugi.”

“Valkyrion, stop!” roared Yugi, “I place a card face down and end my turn.”

“Good! Then let the hurt continue with this, Sangan in defence mode! Now I activate Inferno Reckless Summon! This lets me summon two more Sangan cards to the field. The problem is that this also lets you summon all the copies of one monster on your side of the field that you have in your deck. Fortunately for me you only have one Valkyrion. Now I switch my Blue-Eyes into defence mode. Next I place a card face down and end my turn.” Kaiba could see the look of confusion on Yugi’s face. “He is wondering why I’m playing my weak monsters... Yugi.... you have no idea what I have in store for you.”

“Alright, I draw! I play Pot of Greed which lets me draw two new cards. Next I activate Dark Magic Curtain! This lets me summon my Dark Magician from my deck at the cost of half my life points!” An elegant magician with a long, turquoise staff and purple robes descended onto the field.

“Yugi... you never change,” Kaiba said with a malevolent smile, “I activate my Crush Card Virus! By sacrificing one of my Sangans I can destroy all monsters on your side of the field and in your hand with 1500 attack points or more. This effect will continue for the next three turns. Not only that but due to Sangan’s effect I can add Koitsu to my hand.”

Both Yugi’s Valkyrion and Dark Magician disappeared from the field, he cursed under his breath. “Why do you seek the God cards Kaiba?”

“You know why Yugi. To become the greatest duellist the world has ever known!”

“Do you know why you will never be able to control the Gods? It is because you do not understand their true significance! Now make your move!”

“With pleasure!” Kaiba roared, “I switch my Blue-Eyes White Dragon into attack mode. Now attack Yugi directly with White Lightning!”

Yugi smiled a little. “I reveal my trap card! Mirror Force! Destroy all of his monsters!”

“Perfect...” Kaiba thought. “Thank you Yugi. You have set the stage perfectly for my victory. Thanks to the effects of my two remaining Sangans I can add two more Koitsus to my hand. Next I send my three Koitsus to the graveyard to Special Summon Montage Dragon!” A massive blue and white, three headed dragon appeared on the field. “Montage Dragon’s attack points are equal to the total number of level stars of the monsters I discarded multiplied by 300 giving my dragon a punishing 9000 attack points! Unfortunately I’ve already used my Battle Phase this turn. Go ahead and make your final move Yugi.” Yugi was staring intensely at his deck. “Give me a break... the heart of the cards again?”

“It’s my draw. I activate the Swords of Revealing Light! Now you can’t attack for three full turns. Next, I summon the Obnoxious Celtic Guardian in defence mode. Make your move!”

“Stalling won’t help you Yugi,” Kaiba continued, “Especially not after this, my Card of Demise. Now I can draw five new cards, as long as I discard my entire hand in five turns. I summon Kaiser Sea Horse, place two cards face down and that’s enough for now.”

“Very well!” yelled Yugi, “My move! I set one monster! That’s all from me.”

“Sorry Yugi. Reveal Solemn Judgment! This powerful trap let’s me negate the activation of any card I choose at the cost of half my life points.” A squat, elderly magician cried out before disintegrating. “Nice attempt with your Old Vindictive Magician. One more turn and then it’s over!” Kaiba roared as he drew a card, “I place a card face down. Yugi, you can’t win.”

“We’ll just see about that! I activate Monster Reborn!”

Kaiba smirked once again. “I activate another Solemn Judgment! Sorry Yugi but you’re done!”

He let out a cry of frustration, “I summon Watapon in defence mode and end my turn...”

“You have no idea how long I’ve waited for this day. The pain, the humiliation, it has been unbearable! Now I get to repay you! I reveal Enemy Controller! By sacrificing Kaiser Sea Horse I can take control of your Obnoxious Celtic Guardian! Next I equip Montage Dragon with Megamorph which doubles its attack points! Now, Obnoxious Celtic Guardian, destroy Watapon and Montage Dragon, attack Yugi’s life points directly!”

Yugi cried out in pain as over four times the necessary power engulfed him. “Kaiba... Why?”

“Why? I’ve already told you. As for your Grandpa, I will still help him. Everything is going well so I’m feeling generous.”

Aaron was looking over a strange scene. For miles around, all that could be seen was a thick, black fog apart from directly below him where a duel was taking place. It was between Eli and... “Me?!”

“It’s over Aaron!” Eli’s distant and echoing voice yelled, “I sacrifice my three spellcasters to summon my ultimate creature, the fourth Egyptian God!”

“Eli! Don’t do it!” Aaron’s own voice yelled back.

“Too late now!” The largest duel monster Traal had ever seen rose up from the depths of the darkness covered in the same black cloud as the battlefield. To top it off it had 25000 attack points. “Now my mighty beast, attack Aaron’s life points directly!”

He awoke in a cold, pouring sweat. That was the most vivid nightmare he had ever experienced. “What was that monster?” Traal thought as his head continued to thump in pain, “The fourth Egyptian God? I’m sure that there are only supposed to be three.” He turned on his desk lamp and began to flick through his deck. Even his two strongest monsters needed their strength multiplied five to six times to match the fourth God’s strength, and all of his destruction effects were also useless. “I wonder if this is the real reason for the new Battle City... After all, the original tournament was an attempt for him to get his hands on Slifer, Obelisk and Ra.” He placed his deck back, turned off the light and laid back down. “There’s no use worrying about it right now...”

The next day, the four friends all met up outside of Dorothy’s Store. “After you totally wiped the floor with us Traal, we decided to rebuild our decks as well,” Eli was saying with a mischievous smile, “I think you will be impressed.”

“Alright then!” replied Aaron enthusiastically, “Who should I face off against?”

Jennifer almost leapt forward at the opportunity. “Steve and Eli have already had a practice duel. Mr. Spellcaster there won by the skin of his teeth. But I need to practice using mine.”

“Sure! Let’s get started!” Aaron said. They both walked a decent distance either side of Dorothy’s store.

“DUEL!”

“I’ll start,” Jennifer yelled, “I activate Celestial Transformation to summon Airknight Parshath. Now I activate Inferno Reckless Summon! This lets me summon two more copies of Airknight Parshath from my deck! Next I sacrifice my middle Airknight Parshath to summon Neo-Parshath, the Sky Paladin. To end I’ll place one card face down. Now it’s your move.”

“That was an impressive start Jennifer,” Traal said drawing a card, “But it’s nothing on me! I place one card face down and activate Scapegoat!” Four small sheep tokens jumped out onto the field. “Now my tokens, attack Jennifer’s Neo-Parshath!”

Jennifer looked completely demoralised. “Why?! Your tokens have no attack points whatsoever!”

“Reveal face down card!” roared Aaron, “Rainbow Life! By discarding one card from my hand I can increase my life points through battle damage rather than decrease them!” His life points jumped all the way up to 10900. “Since you have three monsters and my field is bare I can summon my Cyber Dragon in attack mode! Also, since that was a special summon, I can now summon Sangan in defence mode! Now I activate Premature Burial to summon the Prime Material Dragon I discarded by Rainbow Life’s effect! Cyber Dragon, destroy Airknight Parshath! Next I’ll attack Neo-Parshath with my Prime Material Dragon!”

She cried out as two of her strongest monsters were obliterated and 300 of her life points destroyed.

“Not a bad start if I do say so myself,” chuckled Aaron, “I end my turn!”

His opponent looked rather taken aback by his strong counter. “Before my turn I reveal my trap, Solemn Wishes! Now I gain 500 life points every time I draw a card. It’s my turn. I activate Pot of Greed. This lets me draw two cards!” Jennifer’s life points jumped up to 5200. “Now, Airknight Parshath attack Sangan!”

“Unfortunately for you my Prime Material Dragon’s special ability activates, raising my life points instead of lowering them from your Airknight’s attack and thanks to Sangan’s ability I can add my Exploder Dragon to my hand,” Aaron said calmly.

Jennifer groaned in dismay. “I play one card face down and activate Mystik Wok! By sacrificing Airknight Parshath I regain another 1900 life points. That’s all from me.”

“I don’t think I’ve seen these two duel better,” Eli muttered, “Both are in exceptionally strong positions.”

“Aaron is better off,” replied Steven, “He has two bulky monsters on the field while Jen has nothing.”

“I’m not so sure... If she thought it was worth sacrificing her last Airknight she must have one powerful face down card...”

“It’s my move!” Aaron yelled feeling confident, “I place this face down. Prime Material Dragon, attack Jennifer’s life points directly!”

She smirked as she hit a button on her Duel Disc. “I activate Wall of Revealing Light! I pay 3000 life points to stop any monster with that number of attack points or less! Sorry Aaron, you’re not gonna beat me that easily.”

“So you bought yourself a few turns,” chuckled Aaron, “Big deal... I end my turn.”

I was quite pleased with how I did here.

[spoiler=Chapter 4 Part 2]His opponent looked surprisingly confident. “I draw. I summon Nova Summoner in defence mode and take 500 life points thanks to Solemn Wishes. Your move.”

Feeling vaguely annoyed that Jennifer was so positive despite her disadvantage, Aaron drew a card. “I activate Painful Choice! Now I choose five cards from my deck and you pick one to add to my hand. The rest go to the graveyard.” The images of five monster cards appeared along the side of their arena.

“I’ll pick the weakest monster there,” Jennifer said slowly, “Spirit Dragon.”

“Alright then, I summon the Spirit Dragon I just received to the field in defence mode. I’ll

end it there.”

“The duel is slowing down a little,” Steven said sullenly.

Eli clouted him on the back of the head. “And to think I nearly let you beat me! They’re just getting warmed up, wait and see.”

“My draw!” yelled Jennifer, “I summon Gellenduo in defence mode and add 500 life points to my total. Come on Traal, you have to find a way around my trap or I am going to turn this duel around.”

Feigning a look of frustration, Aaron let out a grunt. “I place a card face down... That’s it...”

“You are losing your touch Aaron,” Jennifer smiled as her life points jumped up to 5600, “I sacrifice Gellenduo to summon Athena in attack mode!” A tall and graceful woman, clad from head to foot in golden-pink armour and holding a long spear glided down on to the field. “I activate her special ability. By sacrificing Nova Summoner, I can revive my Neo-Parshath. Now Athena attack his Prime Material Dragon and Neo-Parshath attack Cyber Dragon now.”

“Not quite!” roared Aaron, “Reveal DNA Surgery which turns every monster on the field into the type I choose; Dragon.”

“What will that do?” Jennifer laughed as her monsters continued her assault.

“Nothing without this, Super Polymerization! This fuses every monster on the field into one mighty creature. Rise, Five-Headed Dragon!” Aaron’s largest and most powerful creature towered over the field once again. Jennifer looked stunned at the sudden reversal.

“It’s my draw!” Aaron yelled, “Now my mighty dragon, attack Jennifer’s life points directly!”

She let out a scream as almost all her life points were torn from her at once by the dragon’s powerful breath attack.

“See!” Eli said with glee, “I told you the fun wasn’t over yet! And it still isn’t. Jen can make a rebound!”

“Next I place a card face down and activate the Card of Sanctity. Now we draw from our decks until we hold six cards in our hands. That’s enough punishment for now.”

The tables had turned once again and Jennifer seemed to be feeling the pressure. “It’s my move now. I place one card face down and activate Balance of the Earth. By discarding half of my hand, I regain half of the life points that I lost last turn. Now, I reveal Disgraceful Charity. This card allows me to recover the cards I just discarded to the graveyard. Next, I activate my Monster Reborn card to bring back Neo-Parshath, the Sky Paladin. I think that will do.”

Aaron felt slightly wary. Why would she leave a monster out in the open in attack mode like that? She was definitely up to something. “It’s my draw!” he yelled. “Excellent!” he thought almost out loud. “Since I have three dark monsters in my graveyard, I can now summon Dark Armed Dragon to the field!” A giant maroon dragon with what looked like three razor blades embedded in its chest took the field. “I use Dark Armed Dragon’s special ability to destroy that Wall of Revealing Light by removing Sangan from the game! Now Dark Armed Dragon, attack Neo-Parshath!”

“I discard Honest to the graveyard to raise my Paladin’s attack points by 2800!” Jennifer yelled, “Dark Armed Dragon is destroyed!”

“But he wasn’t your target was he..?” murmured Aaron with a wide smile as his life points dropped to 9100, “Five-Headed Dragon attack!”

His opponent groaned as her life points were nearly wiped out again.

“I place two cards face down and that’s all from me.”

“I draw,” said Jennifer in a determined manner, “I activate Sebek’s Blessing, raising my life points by the amount you lost giving me 3700. Now I play, Valhalla, Hall of the Fallen! This lets me special summon any fairy if I have no monster on the field. So I summon my Splendid Venus! Next I activate my final magic card, Hammer Shot! This destroys the monster with the highest attack points on the field! Goodbye Five-Headed Dragon!”

“Not quite! Reveal De-Fusion, this splits my monster into the five dragons used to form it and causes your Hammer Shot to backfire!” Aaron roared.

Jennifer looked totally shocked. She knew she had lost. “I end my turn...”

“Time to finish this,” Aaron said slowly, “I sacrifice my Exploder Dragon and Berserker Tyrant Wyrm to summon Gandora, the Dragon of Destruction!” Steven and Eli gasped as Aaron’s enormous ace materialised on the field. “Destroy all the cards on the field! Now I activate Metamorphosis. Sacrificing Gandora to summon Cyber Twin Dragon! Attack and wipe out the rest of her life points!”

She groaned and her shoulders sagged as her life point metre hit zero. “That was impressive Aaron. You are incredible.”

“Hey! Pat yourself on the back too!” he replied sternly, “You fought well. I think we’re ready. It’s just a case of waiting now...”

[spoiler=Custom Cards]174722hv1.jpg174722bi4.jpg174722dg1.jpg

Archived