Machine Wars Chapter 1&2 - Viral Discharge and Mechanics

VWXYZ

[align=justify] Viral Discharge

The museum was boring. Everything in this museum was so clean in a bizarre sterile kind of way, with all of the walls white. There was no paint, no tiles or anything decorative of that kind. It was a working laboratory after all. In every other room was a lab of some sort, whether it is to do with physics, chemistry, or biology, which are the three main sciences.

The scientist led the science class around into another large room. This one wasn’t much different to any of the others except that it was larger and at one end was two large glass cylindrical domes that had a murky green substance, which resembled water with green food colouring in. The only thing, which differentiated this substance from water with food colouring, was that large bubbles rose in their own way towards the tops of the domes. Just in front of the domes was a desk with a computer on it. It looked as though it controlled the ins and outs of the domes. At the desk sat a scientist reading another set of readings from the domes and the substance which was contained within.

The guide scientist led the group up to these domes and then introduced the scientist at the desk. As if a switch had been flicked the scientist at the desk suddenly sprang up and then began talking.

“Yes hello there!” the scientist cried out towards the class. Nobody had expected this aged scientist to be so full of energy. “This substance here is about to make a breakthrough in the medical world. It is the ultimate immunisation. Everything we currently have a cure for is integrated into the liquid and anything we have no cure for but treatment is also involved. In addition, the ones who do take this special immunisation will never need another injection in their lifetime ever. Not even if they want to go somewhere, which is known for fatal illnesses. Now would any body like a go at this remarkable breakthrough?”

Nobody in the class moved or even made a sign to volunteer. The scientist still beamed down at them and yet nobody moved. Cam, a tall boy with long brown hair aged about fifteen looked side-ways edgily and then pushed his friend who was in front forward. His friend, called Tom, stumbled forward and looked over his shoulder at Cam and glared at him.

“Ah! A volunteer! Come on up, come on up! You’re the first person to experiment this remarkable invention!” exclaimed the scientist. Tom looked shocked. He thought that there would have at least have been some sort of test to make sure that nothing did go wrong. The scientists didn’t make things better by grabbing Tom forcefully by the upper arm and dragging him over to a chair and then rolling up his sleeve. Tom was gob smacked and all the while the scientist was talking not only to Tom but to the class and apparently himself too. The next thing that Tom actually took into his memory banks was the word needle spoken by the scientist. Tom wasn’t exactly scared of needles but as he turned his head he soon became scared. The needle looked big enough to puncture his entire arm and still have plenty of needle left on the other side. The scientist looked at Tom’s face and then laughed, throwing the large needle away. He then took out a smaller needle from his lab coat pocket. He leant in towards Tom and then injected the immunisation into his arm.

The class left the museum and Tom’s arm was still hurting from the injection. He kept scratching it and soon it was bleeding and a rash was spreading across the injection and most of his upper left arm. Tom didn’t say a word to Cam the whole way back to school, even though Cam tried repeatedly to get his attention.

The class got off the bus an hour later, and as it was about four-thirty in the afternoon, the class was dismissed and they went home individually. Tom walked off and scratched his arm. Two minutes after he had left the school grounds, Cam ran to catch up to him.

“Hey I’m sorry. I didn’t know that scientist was a freak of nature. I didn’t know what the side-effects were,” Cam said apologetically.

“Neither did he!” Tom shouted back. “Now I’ve got to go home and scratch my arm until it falls off.”

“I could take your mind off things. In a duel.”

“No. After today, I’m not really in the mood for playing a card game. I’ll see you tomorrow,” Tom replied scathingly and turned into his drive way, opened the door and left Cam standing at the end of the driveway looking completely bewildered.

Tom looked down at his left arm and it had changed. There was no rash any more. There only seemed to be a strange metallic material coming out of his arm. The blood had gone but there was scab, which showed there was blood clotting. There was just a metal plate on his arm. Tom tried to see if it would come off, but something deep inside told him that it wouldn’t and his thought was correct. This piece of metal was welded into his skin. He tapped it and it clanged in the hallway. Tom’s dad shouted from the front room. Tom ignored it and went straight up to his room in the attic.

He sat down on his chair and turned his computer on. As he did so, his body did something it had not done before. Wires moved independently towards the computer from his wrist. The wires then dug down into the computer’s body and Tom realised it may be a virus, so tried to pull them out, which had no effect. Even though he knew it was no good, he continued pulling at the wires and then he stopped suddenly. His head brimmed with all sorts of images. He could see his friends’ faces sitting in front of the computers and people he didn’t even know. He could see the Internet in all its glory. He even saw images of local security cameras.

Then he was back in his room. He didn’t know how that happened. Maybe it was a gift to him. He wondered whether it was a side effect of the injection, just like the metal plate. On the other hand it may be a curse. He really didn’t know. Maybe it would be gone by the time he woke up in the morning. The wires retracted from his arms and looking down at where they disappeared into his arms there was not a mark on his body. He hoped that this weird side effect would disappear by the morning.

Without eating, Tom got into bed and went to sleep at five o’clock in the evening.

Mechanics

Tom woke. His vision seemed to be bizarre. He had a red interface. He could see electrical currents. It changed. He could see in infrared, then heat signatures. Then it was normal. He thought about the television turning on and when he looked at it, it was on, on the exact channel, even though the last time he had the television on it wasn’t on that channel. Rubbing his eyes, he sat up and watched the television.

The rest of his morning went event free. He got dressed for school. He looked at the metal plate on his arm. It had grown across his shoulder now and further down towards his hand. It was definitely metal as he tapped it. He didn’t stop to think about it though. He pulled on the rest of his uniform.

The day of school went hitch free until lunchtime. As he queued up in the canteen for his lunch, a boy who was much taller than he was, barged past and Tom stopped him.

“I think you belong at the back of the queue don’t you?” Tom said to the boy.

“What did you say?” the lad replied. Cam tried to settle the situation by telling the boy that Tom was having a bad day and that it was fine that he took their place. However the boy had a different idea. He pushed Cam roughly put of the way and threw a punch at Tom. Instinctively, Tom threw up a hand and caught the fist. If anything should have happened, it didn’t. Tom’s arm should have been brought back to his side as he caught it. However it was the other boy’s arm that was moving backwards. Those standing by watched with anticipation. The boy tried to aim another punch but Tom knocked it aside and his hand moved quickly to his attacker’s neck. His fingers closed around his windpipe and he picked him up above his head.

“I suggest you go to the back of the queue. Before you lose your oxygen supply.” His voice shocked not only the audience, but it shocked Tom too. It didn’t sound like his at all. It was more metallic, more robotic. Tom dropped the boy who moved to the back, frightened and everybody stared at Tom.

“What?” Tom said moodily at everybody. They stopped looking and Tom relaxed about one thing. His voice had changed back to normal.

“What was that about?” Cam asked quickly. Tom just glared back at him and then moved forward to make his selection.

Later, at a time closer to home time, they walked down a corridor, which had no lights on. The lights weren’t automatic and yet they turned on as they walked down. Cam and another two boys who were Iain, who had long brown hair and Byrneout (Paul was his actual name) were confused at why the lights were turning on without any body at the switch. Tom didn’t seem bothered by the lights turning on. They walked into the library and the TV turned on at BBC 1. At this point, Iain looked up at the TV and saw that there was no aerial in the back of the TV. So how was this possible that a TV with no aerial could tune itself into BBC 1?

“Tom?” Iain asked quietly. Tom didn’t reply. “Do you know how a TV that has no aerial can first of all turn itself on and then be on at a channel?” Tom still didn’t reply. Iain poked his left arm and then recoiled as he felt the metal part of his arm. Iain looked confused and as he did so, Tom looked up at the confused friend and suddenly Iain was scared. There was another metal plate starting to form out across Tom’s head. He called Cam and Byrneout and they looked. They touched it and it was hard. It was the colour of steel and yet it was stuck to their friend’s head.

Tom got up and left. Not one word was heard again from him.

[/align]

• 3 weeks later...

Some might find the lack of duelling so far a bit of a put off, but I think this is a really good story so far!

You have introduced some interesting characters and possible villans, and given good back stories to make anything that happens after more meaningful.

I hope you continue and look forward to the duels.

You have introduced some interesting characters and possible villans' date='

I hope you continue and look forward to the duels.

[/quote']

well thanks for thanks for that :D......i'm interested for your opinion on who you think the villain is in it........ some of the duels are MUCH later one unfortunately, but i think i make the action up to that interesting enough to make the duels seem worth it :)

Archived