Welcome to DMWorld!

thehuw

Welcome to DMWorld.

Duel Monsters World, or DMWorld as it is always referred to, is a world where Duel Monsters and Duellists live in harmony. Duellists interact with their monsters just as if they were other Duellists, and the world is made up of regions based on Field Cards.

The benevolent ruler of DMWorld is thehuw, a cunning and wise Duellist who has overall control over DMWorld and all that is in it. He knows everything that happens in DMWorld. And he mostly just lets it pass.

But not even thehuw could have predicted that another Duellist was destined to become his equal and save DMWorld from a terrible fate. This is the tale of that Duellist.

This is the tale of Regli.

Regli was a Duellist who arrived in DMWorld from a distant land, hoping to hone his Duelling skills. This fan fiction tells the story of how Regli battled other Duellists in the DMWorld Cup before finally facing thehuw (who had entered under the false identity of 'Daedalus Sharp') and becoming the champion...

Chapter I: A Storm Brews

The rain pelted down overhead as Regli hurried along the long covered walkway up towards the DMWorld Cup building. He put a hand on his chest, making sure he still had his Deck with him, then put on a burst of speed and continued running.

Regli: Gotta keep going...

He was not alone. Several other Duellists were walking, jogging or running towards the building. Regli knew who they were, even though he'd never met them. The other entrants to the competition. He looked around and saw his cousin, Arrun, sprinting to keep up.

Arrun (shouting): Hey! Wait for me!

Regli (shouting): Hurry! We're gonna miss the start!

Regli exhaled sharply and ran on. It seemed to be taking an age to reach the building, but finally, he made it. As he approached the huge automatic double doors, a guard wearing a black Duel Disc stopped him. It was one of the official security guards who kept order during the tournament.

Guard: Stop! Cup Duellists only!

Regli flashed his Duelling Pass at the guard, who hurriedly lowered his Duel Disc and allowed him to walk through. As he was about to put the pass away, he glanced at it. It was a named Duel Monsters card, green like a Spell Card, featuring a photograph of him and the sort of official text you would expect to find in the small print of some legal contract.

It was then that Regli thought back to exactly what the Cup was about...

According to the letter, the Cup was a knockout tournament with 128 participants, making a total of seven rounds. The final winner would be crowned the DMWorld Grand Champion and recieve a set of exclusive champion cards, as well as an assortment of other cards (including a few on pre-release).

Regli had pleaded with his father to let him and his cousin Arrun go. So, after much negotiation and a promise to split some of their prize cards with him, he had finally booked passage to DMWorld and left Regli and Arrun on the island.

Regli carried on running; up the stairs, through another automatic door and into a huge entrance hall with one hundred and twenty-eight numbered seats in front of a gigantic monitor, which was currently displaying the crimson and royal blue emblem of the DMWorld Cup. He checked his pass again and, where the serial number would be on a normal card, saw the number K5. This was his participant number; he found seat K5 and sat down. There were a few other Duellists already there, chatting with friends and rebuilding their Decks.

Bored, Regli removed his Deck from the inside pocket of his jacket and slotted it into a small contraption that looked like a Game Mat. He tapped a few of the Zones and a large blue face appeared, projected from his machine.

Blue face: Good morning, Regli!

Regli: Good morning, Y! Do you want a Duel?

Y: Certainly, Reglis. Let us begin.

The projector flared into life and Reglis immersed himself in a hologram battle against Y the Duel Ghost, ending in an exciting direct attack from Reglis' Juggernaut Dragon and some very complex Spell-work.

Just as the Duel finished, the monitor changed to show a very large organization chart, showing who would be facing who and when. Reglis saw that his first Duel would be Heat K3, against somebody called Samuel Lewis. Then a man in a tidy black suit, with a black tie bearing the DMWorld Cup emblem, stepped up onto the podium and coughed into the microphone.

Man in black suit: Excuse me, may I have your attention... quiet at the back, please... thank you. Good evening. I am thehuw and I am the owner of DMWorld. For those of you new to the Cup - welcome! For those of you returning to the Cup - welcome back! Now, to business.

The board in front of you shows the tournament structure. Now, I would like you, please, to locate your name and photograph, the name and photograph of your first opponent, and the ID code of your first Duel.

Regli had already found this, so he stayed in his seat and waited for further instructions.

thehuw: Thank you. Now, the letter indicates the field you will be playing on, so those of you with a match code of G1 will be playing on field G, on the first floor. (gestures towards a sign next to stairs) The floor you will play on is shown there. Now, the number indicates your order of play, so if your code was G1, you would be first to play on field G.

Now, I'm not one for long speeches, so without further ado, you may leave, go to bed and sleep well. You will all be expected at your play field at eight tommorow. If time allows, the heats should be finished by the end of the morning and I will give you further instructions after lunch. Thank you and goodnight!

Regli wasted no time in getting to his room. He slung his bag on the floor, changed into his pyjamas and got into bet. A packed day of Duelling awaited...

Chapter II: Duel With The Dead

Regli woke up the next morning with only two things on his mind: Duelling and breakfast. Deciding that the latter was far more important, he leaped out of bed, pulled on his Duelling clothes and Duel Disc, set his Deck in the disc and hurried downstairs to the second floor.

He ate a quick breakfast that day: cereal, sandwiches and orange juice. After this, he ran back up the stairs to the third floor. This was where his first Duel was taking place.

He arrived at Duel Field K and sat down next to a sulking boy he recognized as Samuel Lewis. Along with him, Regli watched the first two Duels: heat K1, in which a highly-strung rich kid with a Machine deck lost to a basic Dragon deck owned by someone called Flint Jackson, and heat K2, where nine-year-old Markus Jones obliterated a much older boy with one massive attack.

Announcer: Heat K3, Regli (surname not specified) versus Samuel Lewis, please step out onto the field.

Regli got up, walked onto the Duelling field and activated his Duel Disc. A few lights came on and a number appeared on the LCD display screen: 8000. This was his Life Point total.

He noticed that Samuel's Duel Disc was also active, but its lights glowed green instead of blue, and the main body was a lighter grey than usual. He readied himself, waiting for the Discs to link. At last the wireless connection was made and both players drew five cards from their respective Decks. Samuel was to go first, so he drew an additional card.

Samuel: ... I summon Deathless Keeper! Attack mode!

An ancient-looking humanoid figure appeared on the Duel field. It looked vaguely male and was wearing a set of what looked like wizard robes and holding a sword. The display screen told Regli that it had 1400 attack points.

Samuel: Then I place one card face-down. That ends my turn.

Regli: You're on!

Regli drew a card and examined his hand. Three Monsters, two Spells and a Trap. Not too bad. He played one of the green cards.

Regli: I activate Polymerization! I fuse the Steam Soldier and Hydraulic Warrior in my hand!

A large multicoloured vortex appeared in front of him. Regli saw the Steam Soldier materialize briefly; a rusty collection of scrap metal welded together and fitted with a steam engine. Almost instantly, it was drawn into the vortex. The Hydraulic Warrior also marched out of its card and into the vortex. The colours faded to white and intensified, finally vanishing as a much larger mechanical soldier arrived. Its purple card lay on the Disc as its massive bulk, made from twenty tons of stainless steel, lumbered onto the field.

To be continued...

Archived